Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh, did they do stuff other than zombies? I didn't watch last night because the zombie myths were never my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

howe_sam posted:

Oh, did they do stuff other than zombies? I didn't watch last night because the zombie myths were never my favorite.

They tested which type of checkout system was best in a supermarket - individual lines or a common feeder line.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Is there a new Mythbusters tonight? My cable guide says Gold Rush is on at it's regular slot but after there's just a listing for "Discovery Channel Programming"

It seems like the on-screen guide for Discovery is totally FUBAR. All those wierd 1-min shows, shows in ALL CAPS (that when recorded have no relationship to the description), the normal times of Gold Rush and Mythbusters totally missing, etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So gummy bears will totally power a rocket, provided you process the gently caress out of them.

I also really love that their flashbacks aren't ignoring the build team.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

howe_sam posted:

So gummy bears will totally power a rocket, provided you process the gently caress out of them

Also, poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I also really love that their flashbacks aren't ignoring the build team.

It was kind of weird how when they first got rid of them they pretended they had never existed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

muscles like this? posted:

I'm glad they redid the ax zombie thing because it was kind of bad that they were counting Adam tapping the zombies in the original myth as a kill.

It was still bad because instead of tapping them, he no longer had to even touch them, just swing hard enough. This is an issue because during his test, it took three swings for him to crack the skull. By eliminating the need for accuracy and the need for pulling an axe out of someone's shoulders, he had a ridiculous advantage over Jamie, who still had to actually aim. Also, Jamie didn't have the benefit of bullets potentially passing through his targets.

It was completely bad is what I am saying, even if the shooting part looked fun as hell.

Edit: Jamie also seemed to insist on shooting the gun in a fairly inefficient way. Pulling it away after each shot, instead of trying to acquire targets more quickly and fire more accurately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how this week's Mythbusters had Adam talking about how dangerous the boiling solution was right before it exploded everywhere.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Can't check through everything in this thread but the new primitive guy in Dual Survival is terrible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sonatinas posted:

Dual Survival is terrible.

Its a pretty bad show, but I did like that Matt dude.

edit - haha holy poo poo

quote:

What’s less apparent, however, are the allegations that Joe Teti was fired from Dual Survival following an incident last May in which he killed a dog during the filming of the Season Six finale. According to a TMZ report from last spring, a group of stray cats ran on set, fleeing from a stray dog. When the dog nabbed one of them, Joe went after it, and managed to rescue the cat while either killing or injuring (there are conflicting stories on this point) the dog.

And, according to a separate, non-TMZ report from around the same period, Joe was banned from all Discovery Channel offices while the network decided what to do about Dual Survival. Apparently, the channel’s higher ups feared some sort of retaliation from Joe, and distributed a memo that included the following instructions: “The network is currently evaluating [Dual Survival] and has requested that Teti not be admitted to any Discovery office during this evaluation. If seen: Do not grant access. Call Security and the office manager immediately.”

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Were they afraid he would go Punisher on them?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mraagvpeine posted:

Were they afraid he would go Punisher on them?

Wouldn't be the first time someone attacked their offices, unfortunately.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38957020/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/police-kill-discovery-building-gunman/#.Vs4WiOaEaPU

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

gently caress you, winter.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Still love the fact that Todd thinks he's doing better than Parker, 2700 ounces and he has like three loving wash plants and a crew of 20 while Parker is at 3000 ounces with one washplant and like 7 or 8 guys.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Mythbusters FYI: Tonight is "The Reddit Special" and next week will be the final episode followed by the reunion special.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That certainly was the most elaborate whoopie cushion I've ever did seen.

Punching your way out of a paper bag was a perfect myth.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 28, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Sig Hansen had a heart attack. He did smoke like 5 packs a day for decades.

Hope he retires.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

howe_sam posted:

That certainly was the most elaborate whoopie cushion I've ever did seen.

Punching your way out of a paper bag was a perfect myth.
They did just glaze over the fact that the most popular version of the idiom is a "wet paper bag" but it still managed to be interesting. Also Jamie's amusement as he completed and jumped into the first prototype was a rare burst of joy from him

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Venom hunters is pretty cool.

And I love Moonshiners!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Moonshiners is so goddamn fake it's not even funny.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Next you're gonna tell me Todd Hoffman isn't always on the brink of bankruptcy and is his last chance to hit it big!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chromatic posted:

Hope he retires.
You didn't even mention the :wtc: part. He told everyone that yes he was having really bad chest pains on camera but GODDAMNIT WE GOTTA FINISH OUT THIS HERE STRING O' POTS!!! Apparently the Discovery camera crew basically forced him to turn around and dock the boat so he could be airlifted to a hospital.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 4, 2016

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Chromatic posted:

Hope he retires.

I'd love to see the pallette of cig cartons they load onto those boats before heading off for a long trip.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gazaar posted:

I'd love to see the pallette of cig cartons they load onto those boats before heading off for a long trip.

Why don't they just vape? Healthier(debatable depending on who you ask I guess) and less overhead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Why don't they just vape? Healthier(debatable depending on who you ask I guess) and less overhead.

Then they'd have like a vat of vape juice or what ever it's called sloshing around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

You need to be careful so you actually save money and not just replace spending all your cig money on ecigs.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 4, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Then you'd look like a huge douche.

Elliot vapes, nuff said...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My trucker uncle went from smoking 2 packs a day to vaping years ago before anyone knew what e-cigarettes were. The problem back then was it was impossible to get the juice except by mail order so he'd always run out. I'm sure whoever sells it in Dutch Harbor makes a killing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I imagine that the deck guys pretty routinely lose cigs to waves or whatnot so having a relatively expensive non-disposable thing in that situation seems like a bad idea.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

These folks just like cigarettes.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Anyway, the dude should retire now. Working grueling hours with tons of stress after a loving heart attack is just begging to follow in Phil's footsteps.

I remember looking up one of Sig's properties a few years ago when I was drunk. He's pretty loving loaded and can probably step aside while still collecting decent money just owning the boat. Let Edgar step in or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chromatic posted:

Anyway, the dude should retire now. Working grueling hours with tons of stress after a loving heart attack is just begging to follow in Phil's footsteps.

I remember looking up one of Sig's properties a few years ago when I was drunk. He's pretty loving loaded and can probably step aside while still collecting decent money just owning the boat. Let Edgar step in or something.

Bringing back Josh or Jake or whatever the kid was training to be captain on Northwestern to co-captain with Edgar would be a great narrative point for Discovery on a show that is pretty well circling the drain.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

I imagine that the deck guys pretty routinely lose cigs to waves or whatnot so having a relatively expensive non-disposable thing in that situation seems like a bad idea.

And their old and probably stuck in their ways. I did see elliot using a vape but that was probably so he could easily smoke pot.

IRQ posted:

Bringing back Josh or Jake or whatever the kid was training to be captain on Northwestern to co-captain with Edgar would be a great narrative point for Discovery on a show that is pretty well circling the drain.

Iirc jake was a bad captain on his dad's boat and not confident in his abilities at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

Iirc jake was a bad captain on his dad's boat and not confident in his abilities at all.

Not the Cornelia Marie kid, the other one, the one whose dad disappeared and then his sister died.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IRQ posted:

Not the Cornelia Marie kid, the other one, the one whose dad disappeared and then his sister died.

The good Jake as opposed to the bad Jake.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

Oh, Jake No Luck.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
All Jakes on the Bering Sea are crushed under its weight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads up, if you have a recording set for Mythbusters make sure to check your DVR because on my cable box their all day marathon is registering as new episodes. So it's recording every episode today.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Those episodes aren't labelled as new on my DVR. Also, a reminder that the LAST EPISODE(S) OF MYTHBUSTERS AIRS TONIGHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Followed by a reunion, followed by the first episode.

• Locked thread