Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whats v/ls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does green water mean deeper water or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Green water is when actual seawater is sloshing around on deck instead of just spray. It's Not Good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shorthand for "vessels," I believe. Similar to how F/V stands for "Fishing Vessel."

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Holyshoot posted:

Does green water mean deeper water or something?

White water = froth, spray on deck
Green water = a substantial amount of water
Black water = make peace with the drowned god

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

White water = froth, spray on deck
Green water = a substantial amount of water
Black water = make peace with the drowned god

what is dead may never die.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
American Pickers seems fine enough for a history-esque show. It is like Antique Roadshow, with some reality TV gloss.

Lord Tywin posted:

Yeah but what the gently caress was Kenny's reaction " It's not that of a big deal, nobody got hurt". I'm starting to understand more and more why some of the Captains are such loving assholes, I wonder how many times someone like Bill has had retards falling asleep at the wheel.

It seems that the job really doesn't attract very many people with good heads on their shoulders. So yeah, it definitely makes the angry captain/angry deckhand thing seem more understandable when there are any number of idiots, lunatics, and addicts who might end up getting you hurt or killed jumping from ship to ship.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

American Pickers seems fine enough for a history-esque show. It is like Antique Roadshow, with some reality TV gloss.
My mom loves this show, and from what I've seen of it American Pickers would be about 500% more interesting if they didn't show the haggling for every single notable thing they buy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well you guys were right about my front runner for Alone. He just got bored. It's now down to "who will gently caress up less" after the guy that made loving board games and boats while everyone well else was getting soaked and spilling their loving water all over the place decided to just go do something else.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bering Sea Gold finally came to a close for the season. The Pomrenkes got over 2000 ounces in 5 weeks doing inland mining. They just made the Gold Rush people look like the amateurs they really are. I guess when you have four generations of mining, you have things ironed out pretty well. The final Bering Sea Gold has all the teams sitting around asking all the questions to each other. Verne is way too stubborn who is fine with losing money after money every season. I'm guessing the show is paying enough to keep that dream alive. Used to hate some of these people, but over this past season they've all oddly become easier to watch, I think they've been showing a bit more empathy this time around instead of just a stupid fight and then that's it. Under the Ice previews look good, and I've always liked that better than the summer seasons.

Kinda hoping they spin the Pomrenkes inland mining into it's own show as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Grem posted:

Well you guys were right about my front runner for Alone. He just got bored. It's now down to "who will gently caress up less" after the guy that made loving board games and boats while everyone well else was getting soaked and spilling their loving water all over the place decided to just go do something else.

He was all setup. What an idiot. I knew it was going to happen because he just wouldn't shut up about Barbara. He was injecting her into every conversation. I still think Jose is the most capable but the opening credits show him tipping over in his boat so who knows what he's gonna do after that.

The remaining girl, Nicole is a good front runner too. Her plant knowledge and Gill net are killing it and while annoying she seems totally emotionally capable.

I think the crazy guy will give in as well as the veteran. The priest guy is having a hard time but he seems to have some serious resolve about not giving up a chance to change his children's lives forever just because he's cold and hungry. He's my outlier choice for winner.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Ya the job is definitely no where near as dangerous as it was pre 2005. I'm sure if it was still like that there would be at least one discovery channel crew dead by now.

There is one crew dead by now. The Big Valley went under during the opilio season one year after having the Discovery camera crew on for king crab. (I can't remember if they were featured or just a camera vessel)

5 guys died; it was mainly because they were overloaded with 50 pots when they were limited to 31 because of how small their boat was.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 19, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Philthy posted:

Bering Sea Gold finally came to a close for the season. The Pomrenkes got over 2000 ounces in 5 weeks doing inland mining. They just made the Gold Rush people look like the amateurs they really are. I guess when you have four generations of mining, you have things ironed out pretty well. The final Bering Sea Gold has all the teams sitting around asking all the questions to each other. Verne is way too stubborn who is fine with losing money after money every season. I'm guessing the show is paying enough to keep that dream alive. Used to hate some of these people, but over this past season they've all oddly become easier to watch, I think they've been showing a bit more empathy this time around instead of just a stupid fight and then that's it. Under the Ice previews look good, and I've always liked that better than the summer seasons.

Kinda hoping they spin the Pomrenkes inland mining into it's own show as well.

I wonder what happened to that guy the Kellys conned into buying their worthless claims for $30,000.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guarantee he was a just a guy they paid to pretend to buy the plot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

There is one crew dead by now. The Big Valley went under during the opilio season one year after having the Discovery camera crew on for king crab. (I can't remember if they were featured or just a camera vessel)

5 guys died; it was mainly because they were overloaded with 50 pots when they were limited to 31 because of how small their boat was.

That wasn't a boat with the discovery channel crew on it though.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

He was all setup. What an idiot. I knew it was going to happen because he just wouldn't shut up about Barbara. He was injecting her into every conversation. I still think Jose is the most capable but the opening credits show him tipping over in his boat so who knows what he's gonna do after that.

The remaining girl, Nicole is a good front runner too. Her plant knowledge and Gill net are killing it and while annoying she seems totally emotionally capable.

I think the crazy guy will give in as well as the veteran. The priest guy is having a hard time but he seems to have some serious resolve about not giving up a chance to change his children's lives forever just because he's cold and hungry. He's my outlier choice for winner.

Yeah, that dude didn't give up because he was bored, he straight up lost the mental game. Plus he gave up before the season changed, and that's when poo poo got serious last time. His shelter was very exposed and I was wondering what he was going to do when the temperature dropped and the constant wind and rain moved in.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

That wasn't a boat with the discovery channel crew on it though.

They were a chase vessel for all those off-boat shots.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

They were a chase vessel for all those off-boat shots.

Why would a chase boat have pots?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

Why would a chase boat have pots?

It wasn't acting as chase boat at the time, it was fishing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So how let down do you think Discovery is that through all these seasons they haven't had a single death on a boat on camera?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

So how let down do you think Discovery is that through all these seasons they haven't had a single death on a boat on camera?

Probably mad and glad at the same time. Mad they haven't had the opportunity to make a boat load of money showing it. And glad it hasn't happened because that would be awful.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Probably mad and glad at the same time. Mad they haven't had the opportunity to make a boat load of money showing it. And glad it hasn't happened because that would be awful.

I don't remember...did they have a camera crew on board when Phil Harris had his stroke?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

smg77 posted:

I don't remember...did they have a camera crew on board when Phil Harris had his stroke?

Yeah and Phil told them to keep filming and document everything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

smg77 posted:

WHen he had a blood clot run through his body they did. Think he went straight to the hospital and that's when he died though. I remember the crew told the camera crew something like, "I'm not loving around, if he looks bad you come get us cause he won't say he's sick."

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I also recall a season when the Time Bandit was close to another boat where a guy was working the side of the stack if pots, hanging off the edge of the boat, and a wave came up and he fell into the water. The Time Bandit rushed over and pulled the guy out of the water basically saving his life. They did catch that on camera.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Protip posted:

I also recall a season when the Time Bandit was close to another boat where a guy was working the side of the stack if pots, hanging off the edge of the boat, and a wave came up and he fell into the water. The Time Bandit rushed over and pulled the guy out of the water basically saving his life. They did catch that on camera.

And that may have been one of the best "reality tv" moments ever. Totally not planned, totally caught everyone's adrenalin dump afterwards on camera, and a bunch of fisherman rallying around each other because it could have been any of them. I really like that episode and the follow up they did with him afterwards.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Protip posted:

Didn't Sig or someone rescue the crew off a boat that was going under too?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Didn't Sig or someone rescue the crew off a boat that was going under too?

I think it was Keith.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I haven't watched the whole episode, but the first ten minutes or so of this week's Deadliest Catch dealing with the fire on the Northwestern was some of the most :suspense: the show's ever been. Dropping the soundtrack and narration and focusing on the handheld camera footage really enhanced the doc feel of the episode.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I haven't watched the whole episode, but the first ten minutes or so of this week's Deadliest Catch dealing with the fire on the Northwestern was some of the most :suspense: the show's ever been. Dropping the soundtrack and narration and focusing on the handheld camera footage really enhanced the doc feel of the episode.

The chase boat being their to rescue them if poo poo hits the fan took the edge off a bit for me. Like when Keith was talking like he was the only one way up there near the Russian border but the chase boat was nearby with him showing us his boat at that spot.

I will say it's crazy that if they had all been asleep they would have been royally hosed save for someone from the chase boat(assuming it was there) calling the guy in the wheel house saying "YOU GOT SMOKE COMING FROM THE LOWER DECK?!!?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean yeah they could transfer the crew to the chase boat, but towing another boat back to port, especially a big fucker like The Wizard, isn't likely, which means it's gone.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

The chase boat being their to rescue them if poo poo hits the fan took the edge off a bit for me. Like when Keith was talking like he was the only one way up there near the Russian border but the chase boat was nearby with him showing us his boat at that spot.

I will say it's crazy that if they had all been asleep they would have been royally hosed save for someone from the chase boat(assuming it was there) calling the guy in the wheel house saying "YOU GOT SMOKE COMING FROM THE LOWER DECK?!!?"

Sure, intellectually I knew it was going to work out okay, but it was still infinitely more interesting than Wild Bill's angsting over his kid's eagerness at taking over the boat. :jerkbag:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

howe_sam posted:

Sure, intellectually I knew it was going to work out okay, but it was still infinitely more interesting than Wild Bill's angsting over his kid's eagerness at taking over the boat. :jerkbag:

I know it's basically half the posts I make in this thread but goddamn Bill just loving DESPISES Zack. It's beautiful.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

howe_sam posted:

"He's gotta want it! He's gotta take it!" blah blah blah. Bill's been keeping Zack at arm's length forever, is it no surprise that Zack does the same to him? If you want him to run the boat, throw him to the wolves.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

True.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

According to the pop up video edition of last week's Deadliest Catch, the chase boat was hours away filming a different boat when the Northwestern caught fire :stare:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

The priest guy is having a hard time but he seems to have some serious resolve about not giving up a chance to change his children's lives forever just because he's cold and hungry. He's my outlier choice for winner.

Well whattayaknow.

I think it wasn't even close. Crazy guy was just on the brink of taking his own life and when the crew arrived for David/Priest Guy's "checkup" he was all "I have some questions about how I recover from this ... but that's a long way off. We're not even close." He was in it for much longer than anyone else. He just had the resolve to make his life better and most everyone else pulled the bullshit "welp I'm bored." Like... gently caress you. How many people would kill to be in your position and you just abandon your opportunity because you're bored? gently caress off.

I also like David's last words of "Suffering has value. I get to take all of the lessons I learned here home with me. The pain is temporary."

ALSO apparently there's a new season of Alone ("Hell Freezes Over") coming hot on the heels of this one? Super excited.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I've been behind on Deadliest Catch. Just now watching Keith and Monte talk about growing up. Holy gently caress is this incredible insight into why they are the way they are.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I am a little upset that the dude that bitched and whined almost every day until he remembered he could catch crab ended up winning Alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Him and the second to last one were the two most obnoxious people, all they did was cry for half a season and fish very poorly. I mean I couldn't do it but I'm sure there's a ton of people who could live there indefinitely. But that wouldn't make good TV so instead we get IM THE DAD WHO SAYS YES NOW. I'm sure you're whole family is mentally stable with you at the helm.

• Locked thread