Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Today they gave the entire run of a show that I can only guess was the proto-form of Deadliest Catch. I think it was called America's Deadliest Season: Crab Fishermen, or just Crab Fishermen. I remembered watching a series on Lobster Fishermen between seasons of Deadliest Catch, but I had no idea that there was a Crab Fisherman show on Discovery before they ran Deadliest Catch. The funny thing about the show was, that besides the crab count, and the several boats, the general format of the show was much the same, just with a different host (who I am pretty sure also did the lobster one.) The show took place in 2004, which was one year before DC started right? I didn't see any familiar boats or faces in the few episodes I watched though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Man, I wish they would bring back It Takes a Thief. That show was a lot of fun, especially when they started making it a surprise when the people would get robbed :(.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around who doesn't like Deadliest Catch.

I'm a big fan of Mythbusters, but they play the everyloving gently caress out of that show, and in giant blocks every other day, so its gotten to the point where I'll come home and get mad when I see a 6-pack of Mythbusters on the TiVo and just clear them out without even checking what they are.

Now How It's Made is completely different. For some reason I can watch the same episodes over and over (and they sure do seem to play that "snowboards" episode a loving lot) but I never really get tired of it. Contrary to Mythbusters, I can come home, find 3 or 4 episodes that I've seen a hundred times before and just chill out watching them back to back. Plus, every time I catch an episode I haven't seen in a while it's like a special little surprise :shobon:

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome. He's a great dynamic host, and both his and Les' shows have their place. I don't really try to stack the two against each other and just try to take them at face value. They're both entertaining in their own way. The fact that Bear has a crew doesn't diminish the awesome poo poo that he does at all.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Martytoof posted:

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome.

Yea, I really enjoyed that special too. It was on Military Channel, and I think they still repeat it every once in awhile.

edit: It was called Escape to the Legion, if i recall.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Martytoof posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around who doesn't like Deadliest Catch.

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome. He's a great dynamic host, and both his and Les' shows have their place. I don't really try to stack the two against each other and just try to take them at face value. They're both entertaining in their own way. The fact that Bear has a crew doesn't diminish the awesome poo poo that he does at all.

I too dislike Deadliest Catch and I agree with you on not comparing them as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, I really enjoyed that special too. It was on Military Channel, and I think they still repeat it every once in awhile.

edit: It was called Escape to the Legion, if i recall.

If that's the name then it isn't on for the next 2 weeks. Also, I hope you realize that "Yea" is pronounced "yay" and hasn't been acceptable since medieval times.

I hate people who type "yea" and think Bear should be allowed to carve them up and eat them for sustenance.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Man, I wish they would bring back It Takes a Thief. That show was a lot of fun, especially when they started making it a surprise when the people would get robbed :(.

I liked that show, but it was only about 15 minutes of entertainment in a 60 minute sack. The only good parts were the burglary and the homeowners getting all angry about it (even though that was obviously heavily scripted). The whole second half of the show is just garbage. Installing a ridiculous security system and seeing whether or not people can be arsed to turn it on? THRILLING!

IRQ fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 10, 2007

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

I liked that show, but it was only about 15 minutes of entertainment in a 60 minute sack. The only good parts were the burglary and the homeowners getting all angry about it (even though that was obviously heavily scripted). The whole second half of the show is just garbage. Installing a ridiculous security system and seeing whether or not people can be arsed to turn it on? THRILLING!

But seeing Rainey pull some Solid Snake style moves to get into houses was pretty awesome. It wasn't the most entertaining show on Discovery, but it was a good way to spend an hour.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Very true, it's just that that part was over so quickly. It was such a front-loaded show that I'd usually change the channel after they give the stuff back.

I love his comments about how stupid the homeowners are as he's stealing stuff though, and when he brings that other guy with the huge truck to help.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I signed up to get robbed on TV. I got robbed on TV! ARGH! :hurr:
I still watched the show just to see him tear through people's stuff. But so much of the show is fake that it gets hard to watch. The one where he robbed the Frat house was funny though.

I don't like How it's made. I don't know why, but it doesn't capture the wonder and awe the the Mr. Rogers/Sesame Street segments did. I think it is the narrator combined with the music. Also, I wish the episodes were arranged thematically. Like string instruments, tools, wind instruments, drinks, snacks, etc.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Robot Relations posted:

Those are my favorite episodes of Dirty Jobs. I'm not afraid to say I have a huge mancrush on Rowe. He seems like he'd be an awesome guy to have a drink with.

Agreed, I'd probably watch the most boring show ever made if it had Mike Rowe as its host.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

IRQ posted:

If that's the name then it isn't on for the next 2 weeks. Also, I hope you realize that "Yea" is pronounced "yay" and hasn't been acceptable since medieval times.

I hate people who type "yea" and think Bear should be allowed to carve them up and eat them for sustenance.

Yea, I'm sorry I made you sad.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
anyone excited about "building the future" ?

info: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/building_the_fu.php

I know I'll be watching at least the first half tonight.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Very true, it's just that that part was over so quickly. It was such a front-loaded show that I'd usually change the channel after they give the stuff back.

I love his comments about how stupid the homeowners are as he's stealing stuff though, and when he brings that other guy with the huge truck to help.

The thing that always startled me about the show was how stupid the people really were about their stuff. I'm sure Discovery told them not to really go over the edge with locking stuff up, but I'm pretty sure the way we saw the houses when he broke in wasn't too far off from how they were every day.

DurosKlav posted:

Agreed, I'd probably watch the most boring show ever made if it had Mike Rowe as its host.

Mike Rowe could make a knitting competition compelling television by virtue of his narration.

kywai
Mar 16, 2007

I will do Science to it.
One of Discovery's best shows has to be Canada's Worst Handyman. Their blinding, painful stupidity just never ceases to amaze. For those of you who don't get to see the show, I offer you this snippet from the last episode: all the nominees had to built sheds, but most of them didn't follow the height restriction and couldn't get it out the warehouse door. One guy's was both too tall AND too wide.

So he took a chainsaw to it. And cut it into four. And reassembled it with DUCT TAPE.

Ah, there's nothing like watching other people's utter uselessness to unwind after a long day.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

ToastyPotato posted:

Today they gave the entire run of a show that I can only guess was the proto-form of Deadliest Catch. I think it was called America's Deadliest Season: Crab Fishermen, or just Crab Fishermen.

The show took place in 2004, which was one year before DC started right? I didn't see any familiar boats or faces in the few episodes I watched though.

I seem to remember this show, too. There weren't that many episodes of it that I can recall. I know that I watched something about crab fishing before the 'Deadliest Catch' first season.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI - New episodes of Man vs. Wild start tonight at 9pm (it's actually on right now). It's rerun a bunch of time through the weekend if you miss it tonight.

Bear is in the Everglades in this episode.

IrvingTwoSmokes
Apr 15, 2006

Secretary of Keeping it Real

Robot Relations posted:

I believe it because Adam seems like a reasonable guy and I would have flipped the gently caress out if someone did that to me. It might not be lethal, but it was a loving electrified cattle fence shock. It doesn't surprise me it wasn't the trio's idea because I would have expected Adam to refuse to work with them again or at least be visibly upset with them.

I thought he looked really hurt when it happened. Like he couldn't believe they would do something that mean to him.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

LordOfThePants posted:

FYI - New episodes of Man vs. Wild start tonight at 9pm (it's actually on right now). It's rerun a bunch of time through the weekend if you miss it tonight.

Bear is in the Everglades in this episode.

Dammit I forgot all about this being on. I was too busy catching up watching season 1 of Jericho. :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bob Sapp Please posted:

Dammit I forgot all about this being on. I was too busy catching up watching season 1 of Jericho. :argh:

They'll re-run it like 7 billion times anyway, don't worry.

Bear says "orientate" several times in this episode, I don't know why, but hearing that always makes me laugh.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

IRQ posted:

They'll re-run it like 7 billion times anyway, don't worry.

I know. It's just the thrill of seeing it when it premieres that gets me :)

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IrvingTwoSmokes posted:

I thought he looked really hurt when it happened. Like he couldn't believe they would do something that mean to him.

The way they cut it, I'm sure they edited out more of his cursing and anger, but later in that same "segment," he seemed to have cooled down and the only reason I can think of is that someone revealed it wasn't their idea.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
I loving hate it when bear eats/kills animals in the wild. It looks so much more vicious than what Survivor Man does.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

hog wizard posted:

I loving hate it when bear eats/kills animals in the wild. It looks so much more vicious than what Survivor Man does.

I just don't get why Les wouldn't show the camera when he kills things...that always puzzled me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

soggybagel posted:

I just don't get why Les wouldn't show the camera when he kills things...that always puzzled me.

I'm 99% sure that he's actually a vegan/vegetarian/what-loving-ever-hippie-human being-bullshit in real life, and makes exceptions for the sake of the show. Which would explain why he's a bit sparse on details.

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
They had some Steve Irwin thing on earlier hosted by his daughter,it was kinda sad actually :(

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

drat it, I thought the new season of Dirty Jobs started tomorrow night. It's NEXT Tuesday. DISCOVERY CHANNEL :argh:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Robot Relations posted:

drat it, I thought the new season of Dirty Jobs started tomorrow night. It's NEXT Tuesday. DISCOVERY CHANNEL :argh:
It's the season finale of Deadliest Catch.. I wanna see if the Time Bandit makes it in to offload before the ice crushes their boat. They played about a 1-second clip at the end of last weeks show with someone (Captain John Hillstrand) yelling 'GET YOUR SURVIVAL SUITS ON!'.

We know at least he survived since he's on 'Deadliest Bar' or whatever that talkshow is afterwards (no hate here for 'deadliest bar' :)).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

It's the season finale of Deadliest Catch.. I wanna see if the Time Bandit makes it in to offload before the ice crushes their boat. They played about a 1-second clip at the end of last weeks show with someone (Captain John Hillstrand) yelling 'GET YOUR SURVIVAL SUITS ON!'.

We know at least he survived since he's on 'Deadliest Bar' or whatever that talkshow is afterwards (no hate here for 'deadliest bar' :)).

That's why I didn't appreciate that show coming on before the season was over. Not that I am morbid or anything, but if anything tragic DID happen, the fact that certain people are there and talking fine and dandy kind of ruins the outcome of things. That's why I haven't watch it yet.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

That's why I didn't appreciate that show coming on before the season was over. Not that I am morbid or anything, but if anything tragic DID happen, the fact that certain people are there and talking fine and dandy kind of ruins the outcome of things. That's why I haven't watch it yet.

Yeah, it sort of ruins the illusion, but really, After The Catch is probably some of the best TV Discovery's done.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I ended up watching like 6 episodes of Man vs. Wild yesterday when they ran a bunch in a row, that was pretty awesome. I'd never heard of it before, but my tv just happened to be on discovery anyway and it was on. That guy is living my dream :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

ToastyPotato posted:

Sorry to spoil it for you then. :(

The other thing that really annoys me is when they show the 'Next week!' right during the last commercial break with 7 minutes left to go or something.

Next week; see the cornelia marie pull in huge pots of crab!
<crew>: WOOOOO YEAH RED GOLD BABY!
Now, back to our show..

<crew>: This <beep> sucks, we are totally off the crab!
Announcer: Will the Cornelia Marie's crew mutiny and keelhaul Phil? Will Phil find crab? Find out next week!

Thanks, Discovery, who the hell plans this crap? :rolleyes:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

Sorry to spoil it for you then. :(

The other thing that really annoys me is when they show the 'Next week!' right during the last commercial break with 7 minutes left to go or something.

Next week; see the cornelia marie pull in huge pots of crab!
<crew>: WOOOOO YEAH RED GOLD BABY!
Now, back to our show..

<crew>: This <beep> sucks, we are totally off the crab!
Announcer: Will the Cornelia Marie's crew mutiny and keelhaul Phil? Will Phil find crab? Find out next week!

Thanks, Discovery, who the hell plans this crap? :rolleyes:

The same people who do the coming up next clips on Mythbusters. You know where they almost show you the entire rest of the show before the commercial break. Discovery has trained me to hit fast forward as soon as I hear coming up. Stupid spoilery clips! :argh: Why you make me gotta hit you baby?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Since he's his own camera crew, my guess is that he's too busy actually killing something to set up a good shot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Since he's his own camera crew, my guess is that he's too busy actually killing something to set up a good shot.

Also, as already mentioned, he doesn't like killing things as it is, so it shouldn't surprise you that he doesn't feel like highlighting it when he does.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Well, no more new Deadliest Catch until next year.

:(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bob Sapp Please posted:

Well, no more new Deadliest Catch until next year.

:(

But new Dirty Jobs, thats even better in my opinion.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Dirty Jobs is cool (Really anything that has Mike Rowe is awesome), but I'm going to miss Deadliest Catch. I just got into the show this season and discovered a goldmine of awesome. Who knew watching people fish would be so awesome? Oh well, I think Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Cash Cab will keep me happy until Deadliest Catch rolls around again.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I hope you guys get World's toughest tribes, as well as Chris Barrie's massive engines, and that other guy from Red Dwarf (played Petersen), who goes on about trains?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

But new Dirty Jobs, thats even better in my opinion.

I can live with that. :)

My biggest fear is that they're going to run out of job ideas, and they're going to take a job that would be good for a 20 minute segment, and try to drag it out for the entire length of the show, and be incredibly boring. Granted, Mike Rowe can make anything not boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They do seem quite desperate when they ask for new ideas at the end of Dirty Jobs.

OTOH, they can just stretch them out a little bit more, so you get two jobs per episode. And they've already done some pretty dodgy ones, like the fainting goats.

• Locked thread