Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, it's mostly worth watching. A good chunk of it is the same thing they do every year with one newbie cameraman getting violently seasick and having to drop off the show (Kodiak this time), Keith being a big baby to the production crew, etc. But the stuff with Phil was interesting if only to see a little more of how all that went down when the footage isn't edited to keep the production team out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It really is one of the smartest reality shows on television. But it pretty much could be summed up to "If you are not an engineer, you are hosed."

I agree with the general sentiment that the contrived drama with the raiders and reality show aspect was annoying, but the engineering saved it for me. I stuck with the show through the whole first season just to watch them build stuff. I really liked how the different parts of the truck all came together.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I loved every episode. Mostly because of the rear end in a top hat factor.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Curly Shuffle posted:

I agree with the general sentiment that the contrived drama with the raiders and reality show aspect was annoying, but the engineering saved it for me. I stuck with the show through the whole first season just to watch them build stuff. I really liked how the different parts of the truck all came together.

Yeah, their ingenuity with getting some of their things up and running was amazing. I still remember the one guy's wood gas stove that the self-appointed leader kept calling a ticking time bomb... who came out on top of that one, eh?

Reading the survivor bios for this season, it looks like they picked out more of a commonman/blue-collar group compared to the more specialized members last season.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really want to know how many times "hey baby, let's repopulate the earth" worked last season

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It didn't take long after building the group bed before someone decided everyone was going to have to wear sleeping pants.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Am I the only one who is loving Dual Survival?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm liking it, they just need to cut out more of the "I don't understand his hippy poo poo" barbs which sound entirely forced.

:chef:: I found this cactus fruit. It doesn't taste great but it will be great for water out in the desert.
:saddowns:: This tastes horrible! I can't stand this hippy-dippy stuff, I need meat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teek posted:

I'm liking it, they just need to cut out more of the "I don't understand his hippy poo poo" barbs which sound entirely forced.

:chef:: I found this cactus fruit. It doesn't taste great but it will be great for water out in the desert.
:saddowns:: This tastes horrible! I can't stand this hippy-dippy stuff, I need meat.

I feel exactly the same way - he tries way too hard to be a redneck type.

Shoeless guy seems like all of his survival knowledge comes from reading books and not from going outside. Being unable to climb ropes or cross rivers and whatnot. He's loving massive too - I don't know how he survives while having to maintain all of that muscle mass.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I also happened to watch two episodes back to back this past weekend, they're not even consistent with their personalities episode to episode. One episode Cody was totally against drinking out of a pool of non-moving water. The other episode he was totally okay with it, their positions being basically reversed so they could highlight whatever backpack item they were featuring that episode, like the cigarette filter in the reed straw to filter the water.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
So....I'm watching The Colony, and the colonists have just had a violent confrontation/brawl with a band of interlopers.... How is this kosher? People are being pepper-sprayed, punched, bludgeoned with metal pipes, etc. -- do the show's participants sign an agreement that they won't sue if they're injured by other people?

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Rabbit Hill posted:

So....I'm watching The Colony, and the colonists have just had a violent confrontation/brawl with a band of interlopers.... How is this kosher? People are being pepper-sprayed, punched, bludgeoned with metal pipes, etc. -- do the show's participants sign an agreement that they won't sue if they're injured by other people?

Remember how they were all signing that contract at the beginning of the episode? It covers all of that.

That was pretty intense though. I don't recall it being nearly that violent in previous season.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Just got done watching too- and there is no way that the fights were real. they get pepper sprayed sure, but everyone is shoving, very few punches, very limited use of weapons. If it's a matter of having what's necessary to stay alive, people aren't going to be pinning people down and shoving, they are going for straight up pipe to the head. their contracts cover injury, but the opening statement pretty much said that things were staged.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I like the new series a lot better than the old one, that's all I really have to say

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Gummy Joe posted:

Remember how they were all signing that contract at the beginning of the episode? It covers all of that.

That was pretty intense though. I don't recall it being nearly that violent in previous season.

quote:

their contracts cover injury, but the opening statement pretty much said that things were staged.
Oops, I should have mentioned I started watching around the half-way point of the episode. Thanks for the info -- that makes sense.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gummy Joe posted:

I would totally do this show.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They should have the option to vote off one member and have a huge dinner afterwards that's in the shape of a human body

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
that 70 year old black dude is a bad dude. I put my money on him to outlive them all.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Would have been great if they shot The Colony at the Salton Sea, already packed with melting buildings and hordes of mutants

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think the gulf coast was a good choice. Enough time has passed so it doesn't seem like they're exploiting a tragedy, while at the same time it illustrates that there remains a lot of land that is still hosed by Katrina.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For anyone curious, posted this a few pages ago, it's the Google Street View of the area where they film:

Area

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alberto Basalm posted:

I like the new series a lot better than the old one, that's all I really have to say

Yeah, I'm watching the encore since I missed it earlier and so far I'm liking it a lot more than the first season. I think it helps that they're aware that the survivors outright say on camera that this is just an experiment and don't bother with any pretense that they're really in a post-apocalyptic world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Next season: Pripyat!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That poor snake. :(

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I liked the initial scuffle with the outsiders where Jim overpowered the outsider leader and took him down behind the bushes. I suspect the crew intervened before Jim beat the poo poo out of him, since afterwards he was all "by the way, you're dead" like they were playing cops and robbers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If this were reality, Jim would have been shanked ten or eleven times by now.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
There really needs to be some sort of rule where the producers can deem someone "dead" if they do something dumb that would actually get them killed if it were real. Maybe they wouldn't be so quick to tackle strangers and they'd have to respect anybody who comes around with a gun or something.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Legerdemain posted:

There really needs to be some sort of rule where the producers can deem someone "dead" if they do something dumb that would actually get them killed if it were real. Maybe they wouldn't be so quick to tackle strangers and they'd have to respect anybody who comes around with a gun or something.

I just watched the episode and I have to say I think they should've not had raiders running around. Theres really no way for them to simulate the combat and it just comes off as terrible. Maybe stuff shifting or dissappearing overnight to simulate people coming through, but I'd say thats it. Everyones got lead pipes and stuff but theres just a whole lot of shoving going on.

Maybe paintball guns as real guns or something could've worked.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

The contract says that if one of the people on the show gets fed up and/or doesn't want to do something, they get taken off the show

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Colony, Season 3: Beyond Thunderdome

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
At this point, I say break out the paintball guns and make Left 4 Dead: The Series.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

404GoonNotFound posted:

At this point, I say break out the paintball guns and make Left 4 Dead: The Series.

poo poo, The Colony season 3 with undead. That show would win every Emmy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I just watched the episode and I have to say I think they should've not had raiders running around. Theres really no way for them to simulate the combat and it just comes off as terrible. Maybe stuff shifting or dissappearing overnight to simulate people coming through, but I'd say thats it. Everyones got lead pipes and stuff but theres just a whole lot of shoving going on.

Maybe paintball guns as real guns or something could've worked.

It was decent up until the gang of shove warriors showed up.

I don't get why they seem so dead set on the idea that the show NEEDS this dumb artificial violence angle tacked onto the post-apocalypse survival experiment premise. It's completely impossible to suspend disbelief with the way they set up the show and then execute the action scenes. I'd be perfectly happy if they would get off the fence and either do "10 creative people rig up elaborate contraptions to survive" or "ULTRA ZOMBIEPOCALYPSE PAINTBALL CHALLENGE."

I'd watch either one, I just wish they'd make up their minds.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

IRQ posted:

I'd watch either one, I just wish they'd make up their minds.

Me too. I don't understand why they're not doing either of those. Both of them would be absolutely incredible and I hope if they did the undead thing they'd end the season by overrunning their base with zombies.

I loved the first three raiders milling about like they were waiting for an elevator or something at the camp. They just looked like they were going to work or going home when they were walking around too.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 29, 2010

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I think the Colony is definitely one of the better premises for a reality show. When I was younger, my friends and I used to sit around talking about ways we would survive if an event like this happened. I Am Legend did a good job of exploring this too.

I am mixed on the fights. I think having "real" threats coming into their area looking for food/water/medicine makes it more exciting for the viewer and the contestants on the show. It is more of an element of surprise than just having stuff disappear during the middle of the night. They have to always be prepared, and with this group so far I think that concept is still sinking in.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

If they did a war against the machines angle, they could at least have genuine battles to the death (with the machines using liberal amounts of pepper spray or tasing). Right now there's a good, realistic (enough for TV) survival show coupled with backyard roughhousing that completely destroys any kind of kind of suspension of disbelief.

From the official site:

:wtf:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

AuMaestro posted:

If they did a war against the machines angle, they could at least have genuine battles to the death (with the machines using liberal amounts of pepper spray or tasing). Right now there's a good, realistic (enough for TV) survival show coupled with backyard roughhousing that completely destroys any kind of kind of suspension of disbelief.

I think that's the shows ticket to being interesting and cool, if they focus on a different disaster each season. Terminators, Zombies, I Am Legend, loving go for it. Why does the apocalypse always have to be a mutant virus that just kills people?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I think that's the shows ticket to being interesting and cool, if they focus on a different disaster each season. Terminators, Zombies, I Am Legend, loving go for it. Why does the apocalypse always have to be a mutant virus that just kills people?

Season 7: Rabid Jackals.
Season 8: Airhorns. 24 hours a day.
Season 9: The cold, hard vacuum of space (brought to you by Virgin Galactic!)
Season 10: gently caress it, just leave them in a random slum in Brazil.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

404GoonNotFound posted:

Season 7: Rabid Jackals.
Season 8: Airhorns. 24 hours a day.
Season 9: The cold, hard vacuum of space (brought to you by Virgin Galactic!)
Season 10: gently caress it, just leave them in a random slum in Brazil.

The Airhorns might have been something out of Solitary, but I would watch any and all of these seasons.

Also, a season where they recreate the Donner Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The best thing about the raid is how overwhelming it was. Yes, it's all television and nobody's going to get seriously injured, but I think the point is showing how the colonists were completely at the mercy of the raiders. They were out-numbered more than two to one, and it had to be scary to be pinned to the ground and know that if there had been any real stakes at all, you'd have been hosed.

That being said, I hope it was psychological move on the part of the producers, and the rest of the show is less about fending off attackers and more about foraging for food and building from scraps. And I hope they ate that snake they pulped.

• Locked thread