Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To chime in on this whole 'Survivorman v. Man vs. Wild' I think a lot of you are missing the point. I've seen on other forums besides this one the attempt to stack up one another and who would "out survive" each other, but thats really stupid if you ask me.

The way I've always approached it is that Survivorman teaches real life skills you can actually use if you were in fact stranded in the swamps of the south or some frozen tundra area in Canada. The fact that he is alone does make it that much more intense as the isolation has to be somewhat maddening.

On the other hand we have Man vs. Wild. I like this show just as much because it shows what someone is capable in extremes of nature, and what you can do if you're extremely desperate. Note that most of the "stupid" survival stuff he does is basically presented as a last ditch thing where you'd either die or at least die trying to do something he does. Also I think people fail to realize that Bear is indeed a very freaking accomplished man! He's ex special forces, hes climbed Mt. Everest, and he did star in another show where he basically was going through French Foreign Legion training. Also to imply that he has it "easy" just because he has a camera crew is in my view, rather ignorant. Thats like me suggesting the show Jackass was completely staged and they had a safety crew and it was just a big ruse. Man vs. Wild is entertainment plain and simple, as Bear goes out of his way to do stupid things occasionally to show you what can happen and what someone could theoretically do.

Thus, I think both shows compliment one another rather nicely. Survivorman has always been grounded in reality, where as Man Vs. Wild is the more extreme show that goes to show you what one could do if they were a superhuman survivalist. I never understood the need to compare the two and declare one the "Superior survivalist show."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Haha, according to the Discovery Channel website, Bear's 2nd favorite movie of all time is Point Break and his 3rd favorite of all time is This is Spinal Tap. I like him more now!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Martytoof posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around who doesn't like Deadliest Catch.

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome. He's a great dynamic host, and both his and Les' shows have their place. I don't really try to stack the two against each other and just try to take them at face value. They're both entertaining in their own way. The fact that Bear has a crew doesn't diminish the awesome poo poo that he does at all.

I too dislike Deadliest Catch and I agree with you on not comparing them as well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

hog wizard posted:

I loving hate it when bear eats/kills animals in the wild. It looks so much more vicious than what Survivor Man does.

I just don't get why Les wouldn't show the camera when he kills things...that always puzzled me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Is there any word on new episodes of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" coming out/being made. I did a quick look on wikipedia and the official site with no indication. I miss "survival friday." Man Vs. Wild, I Shouldn't Be Alive, and Deadliest Catch...a winning combo!!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
"I need to get to high ground...Now that I've made it to high ground I can see Lego Land. But I have to make through Camp Snoopy (I will not call it Park at the Mall). Three years ago a couple was in Camp Snoopy. They went on the Paul Bunyan Log Flume but didn't realize they had to hold on. They both fell to their deaths."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I got I Shouldn't be Alive on DVD for christmas. I'm still kind of pissed that the show got canceled. I loved it as a part of "Survival" fridays.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Electric Hobo posted:

I've noticed that Discovery has the habit of copying any of their shows that does well. Hazard Pay with Dirty Jobs, that lobster fishing show with Deadliest Catch, Man vs. Wild with Survivorman, How Do They Do It? and How It's Made, Fight Quest with Last One Standing (which is weird because I didn't think Last One Standing was all that successful). I thought a while back that it was odd they didn't try to copy Mythbusters, but lo and behold, here it is.

I kind of enjoyed when they had certain "days" or they had themes going but I agree that it does go overboard a bit. Although I really liked "Survival Friday." You had I shouldn't Be Alive, Man Vs. Wild, and usually something else...but I keep seeing previews for the new season and some of this looks pretty terrible. In the commercial they are advertising some show that looks basically like Future Weapons and then they have Fight Quest as you pointed out...which is from what little I've seen a near carbon copy of 'Human Weapon' on History channel.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
UFO shows are the goddamn worst on Discovery or History Channel or anything that is supposed to be educational. The best is they'll always put the persons title up when they interview some guy. So if they're talking to some guy about the Crusades they will be like:

David Blithe - PHD Cambridge

Except when its a UFO show it will just be something like:

Karl Anderson - UFO Enthusiast

Also as far as "jesus fest" on History Channel some of those shows can be pretty interesting. I will have to be on the lookout for Stalin's Army Apes though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Shockwave looks absolutely :psyduck:!

I saw commercials over christmas and it basically was just a house blowing up or a race car crashing!! HOW HISTORICAL!!!

I still like Man Vs. Wild and reading his blog was a bit disappointed they nixed an idea where people would go out with him and he would help them "survive." At the very least Man Vs. Wild is good entertainment, it shows exotic locales, and you kind of feel smarter/more educated about the outdoors in where ever Bear happened to for X episode. Smash Labs is just retard science.

Also, I saw the Monster Quest with the 'Stalin Ape Army.' That was embarrassing to watch.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I was sitting on the couch watching tv today and noticed that at 3pm CST they had an episode of I shouldn't be Alive running. Looks like for at least this week they have been running reruns in this slot. Good deal!! I always liked the show.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I thought the Macgyver episode was one of the better episodes in a long time. Then again I love Macgyver so I was probably going to like it no matter what. I don't get why they thought they should build a potato gun though. How would you signal the helicopter...by hitting it?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I honestly did not think they could get that kite to fly though so I can say I was pretty surprised when it got as high as it did.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They obviously went through a casting session and picked the fatty kid clan so the viewers would have someone to root for to fail/revel in their misery.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well I've clearly fallen behind on Man vs. Wild and I missed the Siberia episode way back when? Is there any place to watch these once they air or what? Also, he is doing one in South Dakota next week which is pretty loving awesome!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Watching River Monsters on netflix reminds me why I like watching it on Netflix. You can fastforward all the needless rehashing and just see him get those drat monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
On a side note, this commercial always got me excited for the science channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pKD9BeH4mo

Also I finally caught up with one of those new Survivorman 10 Day Survival episodes and the Norway one was very good. And you could tell that Les was worried and stressed as hell going down the mountain. Just him starting to look panicked and swearing a lot actually got me really worried even though I knew he obviously didn't die. I read an interview where he says he even told his editor not to include some stuff because he found it too embarrassing. I mean, I would have liked to have seen that because it really shows know matter how well prepared or trained you are poo poo can go bad.

A clip for context: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/survivorman/videos/mountain-slide.htm

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread