Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, was last night it for Storm Chasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

I've never seen Some Assembly Required, but if it's as good as you say then it'll be quite a pleasant surprise.

I was really expecting it to suck, but it's kind of an expanded version of How It's Made. They had an episode a while back that went into the entire process of making Jack Daniels, and it was pretty interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Free Market Gravy posted:

Yeah, you'll find some "dirty" jobs like the barnacle cleaner a few episodes ago and so forth, but I think a lot of it may have to do with the people who really do have dirty jobs liking Mike Rowe and liking the show, but just not wanting to be on TV and not wanting to basically sacrifice a day or two of work by having filming going on since I'm sure, even with the crew trying to stay as out of the way as possible, they impede progress, especially with Mike loving up everything he touches being such an essential part of the show.

Yeah, I can understand that. I used to work in the press of the newspaper up in Green Bay, WI, and that definitely qualifies as a dirty job (just cleaning the blankets on the press, alone, is disgusting) ... but having a Dirty Jobs crew out there for a day would pretty much bring the production of the paper to a grinding halt, and then the grouchy old people in town would wonder why their paper wasn't there at 5 AM.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LordOfThePants posted:

FYI - Shark Week starts this Sunday at 9pm. The Mythbusters are doing another shark show, and it looks like Les Stroud is doing a show called "Surviving Sharks".

From the Tuned In blog at CNN:

quote:

MythBusters: Shark Special and Surviving Sharks Discovery, 9 p.m. E.T., July 27 & 28

MythBusters uses its second Shark Week special to test tips on how to survive a sea-critter attack. Then Survivorman's Les Stroud makes himself into human chum to explore ... exactly the same thing! Edge to MythBusters, which builds a cool mechanical great white. MythBusters: B- Surviving: C

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phil. :(

Also, what the gently caress is this Alaska crap. Bring back my crab captains!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ, Keith.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sig Hanson was on one of the local radio shows here yesterday and confirmed that the rumor is true. I haven't been able to find out who it is just yet though.

I can't believe that the rumor, as has been stated here -- that one of THE captains is true. It would have popped up on the news sometime last year during the actual fishing season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cathis posted:

I watched Pitchmen last night and all I really got out of it is that Billy Mays is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

He was hawking poo poo at his own wedding. What do you expect?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WhiteHowler posted:

So it sounds like whatever happens isn't on one of the main boats that the show follows -- at least for this week.

It's the F/V Katmai that goes down on tonight's show.

I still maintain that if something that major had gone down on one of the show's primary boats, there's no way it would have stayed quiet for this long. It's not like these vessels exist in a news vacuum during the 9 months of the year that Deadliest Catch isn't on the air.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Noghri_ViR posted:

I thought he was in a contract dispute.

Not anymore, although at the time After the Catch was being filmed, Discovery may have chosen not to use him in the event that they couldn't reach a deal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wow, Keith is a prick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TMZ is reporting that Captain Phil has been placed into a medically induced coma.

Well, poo poo. :smith:

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 2, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Sig is one of the executive producers and serves as the show's technical advisor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sig and the Hillstrands are back on Deadliest Catch, according to TMZ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Grant and Tori have a bunch of experience if I am not mistaken.

Both of them spent a long time at Industrial Light & Magic; Tory used to work as a model maker, while Grant (in addition to working on models and animatronics for a poo poo-ton of movies) is one of something like four people authorized to operate R2-D2. Both of them had worked for Jamie in the early- to mid-'90s, which is how they got invited to be part of MythBusters.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 5, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As I understand it (I saw Grant and Tory speak at UW-Platteville a few years ago, and they were asked about it), Scottie's background was in metalworking and fabrication shops, and her entire mentality was "start a project, finish a project, move onto the next one." The way that TV shows are produced, with shooting everything from multiple angles, doing things out of sequence, and the start-stop-start style of work, really bothered her, and she ultimately sat down with Jamie and the producers and said that while she loved what the show was doing, she couldn't keep working on it, and they let her out of her contract.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haveblue posted:

Some people thought their banter was really forced and annoying, I never minded them that much.

It wasn't too bad in the early goings but in the final years it was just ridiculous.

:j: Guess what, guys. I just read about this crazy story, where a guy managed to actually shoot himself into the air, by a whole fifteen feet, with nothing but a dildo and a model rocket engine.

:2bong: You know, that's crazy, I was just getting ready to launch a model rocket later this week, and I just so happen to have a dildo!

:shrug: Should we head to the lab and start thinking of some tests?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

It's the closest thing to actual History related programming on that network, it's a shame it's always bookended by the most fake hokey bullshit imaginable.

I gave up on Pawn Stars when they stopped having any pretense of those items actually belonging to the people who bring them into the store; like they were just borrowing guitars from the guy who owned that guitar store, or when they had Rick Dale restore a Coke machine and the finished version was a completely different model of machine than the one that came in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shorthand for "vessels," I believe. Similar to how F/V stands for "Fishing Vessel."

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mraagvpeine posted:

If anyone watched it, how was it?

Not particularly good. There's less, but still a decent amount, of in-episode recaps of what's already been done, and the three of them ham it up more than ever -- and it feels even more heavily scripted than ever.

It's decent background noise, I suppose, but the science stuff is almost completely excluded in favor of "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we did THIS?! :2bong:"

Basically, there's all the enthusiasm of Adam, but it's sorely missing the grounded straight man of Jamie -- think all Laurel, no Hardy.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 31, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Tobacco, caffeine, alcohol, and 16 hours a day for several days at a time sitting in a seat. :psyduck:

Yep. That's pretty much a peak cocktail for "early death due to some permutation of heart attack, stroke, deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Viktor posted:

It seems like once derby was retired that made the fleet a husk of what once was

Basically, the minute the quota system was established the fishing fleet died, yep. I think there are only 80-some boats that fish for Alaskan king crab, whereas at the peak in the '80s there were 250-plus.

Honestly, it's not a bad thing. Overfishing is still a significant concern with Alaskan crab (not quite as bad as in Maryland, but close), and it's not helped by pirate boats, which are generally Russian.

• Locked thread