Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
230 miles to the northwest of the previous topic, lies the Deadliest Catch.

Really...I can't get enough of this show. I've watched since the beginning and still even though every scene is overloaded with false suspense (Cue Mike Rowe: "On the deadly Bering Sea, even making breakfast is a live threatening event."), I'll probably never miss an episode.

I guess it comes down to the fact that really, it makes my lovely days at the office seem pretty dang good. Oh hey that guy got his finger about taken off by a 500lb crab pot...guess that's way worse than the knucklehead at the office that was pissed about not printing today.

Also, this show (and to a lesser extent American Chopper, when I used to watch that a few seasons ago), is responsible for a tendency for me to narrate random events around the home and office. No one gets it, but I still love it.

Examples:
"Tragedy strikes the programming team as deadlines draw near."
"Sparks fly when the kids refuse share toys at the risk of early bedtime!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Regarding the couple of Deadliest Catch questions above, I might have a little info on that. The different offload ports are typically associated with canneries that they crab boat is contracted with. There are a total of 3 major ones in the Bering Sea. Basically a boat has a quota given to them by the Alaska Fish & Game (based off of past performance in the old Derby seasons, money and voodoo magic I believe).

The boats then go contract out parts/all of their quota to different canneries. That's why Phil Harris on the Cornelia Marie was saying they were in deep poo poo when the processor they were going to broke down...basically they'd catch all those Opies and a ton of em would die in their hold while waiting for the processor to come back online.

As far as payout, Captain & Boat takes 50% off the top. Deckhands get a % share based on their seniority/rank/whatever (such as "Senior Deckhand" or "Fullshare" guy, "Half Share" and I think greenhorns get even less). Different boats prolly give their guys different percentages too.

So the Captains do pretty well I'd bet, but when a new prop costs more than $20,000 and the diesel tanks on most of those boats is upwards of 30,000 gallons (which I think keeps them running for a week or two of steaming around) the boat probably eats a ton of that money.

I'm such a Deadliest Catch nerd :smith:

Edit:
And on a similar note, did anyone watch the 1st part of "After the Catch"? It kind of weirded me out because every single thing was like "Hey remember when that guy died? How about that friend of yours when he was crushed like a grape? Let's watch the footage!" The onslaught of morbid questions just seemed kinda disrepectful to me.

I kinda just wish that they'd let the captains talk about whatever was on their mind, even if it doesn't relate to EXCITING NEAR-DEATH BOAT STUNTS or something.

Dear Discovery Channel: Sometimes I am entertained just by learning about real-world poo poo, and do not need to be force-fed entertainment frosted with factoids.

Dear Bear Gryllis: I DO NOT LIKE YOU!

Campbell fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 4, 2007

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

headtrip posted:

After the Catch kind of weirds me out a little...

Yea it weirds me out because (while I really dig Mike Rowe), the relationship he has to the skippers is awkward (like if we were at the table) talking to them like we knew each other.

Of course, Mike and the viewers know all these guys but I kind of doubt that all the captains have even met Mike the narrator before this "After the Catch" series. It just seems awkward some times since the familiarity is totally one-way.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
"Escapologist" sounds about as viable as a Red Robin "Mixologist" so I'm kind of skeptical.

Maybe if they put every single device out on the deadly Bering Sea...or throw one of the people from Ax Men in with the escapologist, it could be exciting enough.

Also, I'm stoked about the new season of Deadliest Catch...I have an unhealthy addiction to that show I think.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Noghri_ViR posted:

Anyone remember the name of the guy who made this game?

Yea it's me. The hassles around running the game worked themselves out and I just didn't have the heart to let the domain lapse so I quietly turned it back on. I was hoping to spend some special time coding features over the last month or two but while that hasn't been able to happen yet, it's still a pretty playable time-waster at the moment though. Old accounts ought to be working fine (um, except for the 2000+ day old soaking pots :P).

I'd have tossed up a new thread, but "goon game threads" seem pretty tired out at the moment and didn't really want to get beat up over it at all. Especially, since I'm not in real active development on it right now.

Anyways, all I really wanted to know was if there was an episode of Deadliest Catch this last Tuesday? And what's the deal with the Incentive? They seemed pretty cool, but got dropped like a hot potato pretty fast.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I haven't been watching After the Catch because it kind of grates on my nerves for some reason, but has it been established if Elliot still has a job?

The thing that was so crazy is the dude is just oblivious that his crew isn't his entourage. Being on that boat is a means to an end and after all these seasons it seems like the one sure message has been "Let's hurry our asses up and not sleep so we can GO HOME!"

Dude could've even let gear soak while he decided to go to Dutch to dial into his court appt, but no, that woulda taken some forethought which the guy obviously doesn't have.

Anyhow, it's just weird that a person has appeared that I like less than Keith Coburn.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Exploder posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome! I thought Les Stroud was done doing Survivorman. How did I not hear about this until now? Survivorman is the only survival show worth watching.

Totally agree with this. Last I read, he quit because he had a few really bad experiences that took a big toll on his body. I had a lot of respect for the guy hanging it up. Then I read that he's doing new episodes that are "upping the ante" because it's 10 days now.

Hopefully the environs are a little more forgiving. Go spend 10 days at Disney World or something and try not to lose your temper at crazy people. I'd watch that. Just don't go killing yourself please :ohdear:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Alright, no comments after the 2nd episode of Norway so I'll chip in a bit. Coming from a place that has decent snowy winters that end up killing people in the exact same way every year or two, at the onset I figured this would be a different trip than his usual tropical/desert outings.

The first ep seemed pretty tame since he relied on the car quite a bit. But the conclusion was definitely more urgent and it didn't seem to have the coincidentals that the previous Island trip had (materials for the water still that some of you guys mentioned,etc). The fresh tracks leading up the hill to the lodge seemed like they'd be faded from wind, and honestly probably kept him in the game for the rest of it, but I dunno, the trip down was so rough I can't really pick at it too much.

Anyhow, it reminded me of one of the initial episodes where he was in Alaska and was faking a broken arm only to say "to hell with that, surviving normally is gunna be hard enough." Oh a lodge? Let me tell you that if you're about to die you're not going to get arrested for breaking in to a place. This house? Welp, here's a tip, everyone leaves a key. Dude was more than happy to not prove how good he could rough it by getting into legitimate shelter at any opportunity.

Best part, at least 3 digs on other survival shows, the best of which was "If I didn't find this, I might've been reduced to drinking my own pee. ... Yea right."

Stay awesome, Les!

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
What an unrelenting season that didn't let up until basically the last 30 minutes of the finale. So much of the season was just so dark. Kiska Sea being total douchebags to the newbie for basically zero reason that I guess to seem rad on camera. Kiska's Captain basically selling Jake on a lie. The guy doesn't have an ounce of desire in wanting anyone but himself to hold the power of the Captain's chair and probably couldn't teach or mentor another person to save his life. I really hope Jake gets off that boat because it's just destined to be an abusive situation where he'll keep getting kicked around while they dangle a carrot just out of reach. The Wizard is the Wizard and I always hope it and the Saga crash into each other and end up on the bottom of the sea. Both of those boats make money and do their jobs, but mental illness at sea is just not what I want from this show (I'm probably in the minority on this one). It definitely wasn't what the show was about when Phil was alive. Especially regarding Freddie, but that's been talked about enough.

Bright spots of the season: Sig becoming more comfortable with letting Edgar take more responsibility, and Edgar rocking it in multiple ways. It can only be good for the both of them as the brothers start to have more equal footing. The Hillstrand's mentoring the hell out of Josh and getting him back on the CM. Teared up a bit during that segment because while those guys can be tough as nails, there's almost always love and fairness behind it.

So I'm glad the season ended on an uplifting note, but holy cow it was a hard season to watch.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Here's hoping it won't feature 30 minutes of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill, followed by post-commercial recaps of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

IRQ posted:

At the risk of making you relive something clearly traumatic, what did that shitbird do on the hill?

Nah, I was just poking fun at Deadliest Catch's habit of replaying the hell out of a clip, like when someone falls in the water. Then 5 episodes down the road we "remember when X fell in the water". Anyhow, Keith talked to a panel about the effect of the government shutdown last year on the federally regulated crab fishery. He had a legitimate axe to grind, but I have a really hard time watching that guy do anything.

kefkafloyd posted:

Captain Phil's loss is still felt on this show. If it wasn't for Sig, I would quit.

Absolutely. I'm excited to see Edgar (hopefully) kick some butt, and hopefully this season will feature more people overcoming adversity in tough situations than trying to out-jackass or out-cruel each other. Last season really brought me down because it just seemed super negative and petty all the time.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Photex posted:

as good as a worker as Freddie is he's kind of a loose cannon.

Freddie also seems to magnify the personality of his captain like 100 fold. Old days Phil, Freddie: seemed like a calm but sarcastic mentor. Keith Freddie: angry bully picking drunken fights. Sure it could all be the edit, but we had a lot of Phil years to see Freddie and he seems totally different now.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
His dad was a total class act for sticking it out and telling it straight to Elliot when Elliot started getting the fear. I get the feeling that was a skill learned over many times of trying to let Elliot make the right choice and failing over and over again. Nice job Elliot's dad.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I've thought Sig's treatment of his daughter on the boat has been pretty realistic honestly. It scares the poo poo out of him, so he gets her into the wheelhouse every second he can, even if it makes for a bumpy ride for the rest of the boat. His wife called him on his poo poo and now he's forced to follow through on it because he couldn't say no to his kid. He's a man who has worked hard to provide a life and enable his kids to do more than he did and seeing his daughter want to work boats is basically everything he didn't hope for. That's causing him to make choices that are pissing everyone off (including his daughter), as he does his damnedest to not put her in ANY kind of risk.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

howe_sam posted:

Well drat, that's a shame. I was hoping Sig's objections would be more about the toll of the job than just boring gender stuff.

What we're seeing isn't objections. We're seeing complete lack of objection. The dude will do anything and everything for his daughter and that side of him is completely at odds with Sig Hansen, fairest hardass of the fleet. You expect Sig to drop the hammer and crush her dreams or put her through the grind to make her hate it, but it's his daughter and what you see is the face of a conflicted dad pretty much all the time. It's a different side of the person and I don't mind it.

I find it way way way more interesting than the Saga becoming a shaggin' wagon. That boat seriously needs to sink.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

kefkafloyd posted:

Given the prior complaints about Sig coddling Mandy, it looked to be a buildup to this episode. She really pulled through.

I kind of get the feeling she had a word or two with him, but either way, it was a good episode in between parts where Saga took up the screen.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I was pretty sure Freddie was going to cover himself in the heart-blood of codfish and dive over the side to kick an Inuit Sea God's rear end to save the fleet from the super storm. Might still happen I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
"The girl greenhorn is only working at 75%, it's time to let her go." Oh Keith, she may be at 75% but your typical horn operates at 2% you knucklehead. Keith tears are delicious.

• Locked thread