Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Colony would be way better if they cut out raiders altogether and have the most contact with other humans be that Russian arms dealer caravan from the first season. Everything else should be technicians building awesome poo poo from scavenging.

I was coming to post this exact sentiment.

When this show was first announced I kind of hoped it would be like Rough Science but with a survivalist flavor. The stupid reality show twist with the raiders just makes it unwatchable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

Animal Planet is also showing commercials for a new season of a Whale Wars... spinoff?... as everyone's favorite seatards continue to flail about against Japanese fishermen.

Can't wait for this. There can't be enough incompetent hippies at sea on television.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

Looks like te Harris boys are back, not sure about FV-Cornelia Marie though.

Looks like the Cornelia Marie isn't going to be featured at all this season but the Harris brothers are each working as deck hands on different boats.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

I'd be down for a new Whale Wars thread, we've had a lot of fun in the last ones. I could work up an OP but it'd be heavily based on EDGECRUSHER's. I PMed him and asked if he wanted to make it.

I'm loving how the Viking Shores series has the Sea Shepherds actually going face to face with the people they're harassing, and being all indignant that they're getting personally called out on how ignorant they all are.

I loved the guy who set up a table full of whale meat and bagels right next to where the Shepherds' ship was docked.

Can't wait for the new thread...I love making fun of inept vegan pirates.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Early seasons of Deadliest Catch had a much lower level of blatant 'reality' scripting. It's fairly tiresome nowadays because they've decided the actual day to day isn't really interesting enough any more.

I wish they hadn't changed the quota system after the first or second season. The way it used to work where the season opened and everybody raced around trying to catch as much crab as they could before they got the notice that the season was ending made for way better television.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Well if tonight has cemented anything it's that Elliot really is both the most incompetent captain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the fleet.

I hope his bosses fire him. I hate watching him on the show.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

What was the show on the Science Channel that had Sam Neil narrating it?

I found this BBC series...don't know if it was the same one from the Science Channel but the DVD cover looks epic.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Parks posted:

I do hope that Josh gets the boat and continues to be successful. I hope Jake goes to rehab and finds something other than crab fishing to keep him clean.

Do the Harris brothers still own part of the Cornellia Marie? The way they were talking on After the Catch it sounded like Josh was making plans to buy a different boat.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There was something about the exchange

Elliot: "It's good to be home."
Ex: "This isn't your home."

that made my ears prick up. That and his constant calling her, and jeopardising his how-the-gently caress-did-he-get-that job by just abandoning the crew to fly home mid-season.

Also he's just so obviously a piece of poo poo from what we've seen on the programme and heard about from behind the scenes that I can see him being 'that' ex-boyfriend.

That entire scene of him visiting his ex and kids was just cringeworthy. She so obviously didn't want him there and for the first half of his visit he was either completely oblivious about it or straight up ignoring it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Guy Compton posted:

Here's some more piling on Elliot. I don't know if they mentioned this on the show, but at the end of the last crab season the Ramblin Rose got hit with a fine for undersized crab.

To be a little more fair to Elliot, I'm sure most of the blame could go to the crew on deck, but did Elliot really have no idea they were shoving that many undersized crab (5.5% -- the most that wildlife trooper had ever seen in an offload) in the tanks, especially when he seemed so desperate to get crab last year?

That's really stupid of the crew. I swear in an earlier season they said that if there are fines for small crabs or too many females that the fine is deducted from the crew shares and not the boat's profit.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Every crew member on the Wizard took home $151,000 for the Opilio crab season :psyduck:

Now we know why the crew puts up with Keith year after year.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Jake Anderson got married. Good going man :3:

What was up with Jake Harris' face at the wedding? Is he on meth now?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

The old Whale Wars thread is archived and I wouldn't make a new one for a one-off special anyhow, so I'm posting this here. Good news for schadenfreude fans:

My excitement for the return of Whale Wars is tempered only by my disappointment that it's only a one-off special and will probably be the last time they are on TV outside of news stories about Paul Watson going to jail. I'll have to resort to following Pubestache on twitter or something.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The Whale Wars special was amazing. Losing their helicopter pilot and one of their ships just minutes into the show was hilarious but watching pubestache (who started out as a lowly deckhand) come into his own and risk the lives of 34 other people to stop one ship from refueling another was awesome.

The only disappointments were not getting enough of Paul Watson being creepy and not seeing what happened to the captain of the new ship who basically refused to do anything he was told to do. That guy was the only sane person and I'm sure he was drummed out of the Sea Shepherds as soon as the whaling season was over.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Photex posted:

my wife thinks i'm the biggest man child for loving this show so much, but there are very few reality shows that still bring a sense of true reality and danger.

My wife used to do the same thing but she started watching it right around the time Captain Phil died and now she's hooked.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm guessing the episode that copied last week was a clip show about last year? Glad I didn't bother watching it yet.

Yep it was a recap of last season

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Good god, Eliott is still a captain of something? Who keeps giving him money?

Apparently he got some bank to give him a loan to buy his own boat last season. I'm 100% certain his story will end in some kind of insurance fraud.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ariza posted:

Since it seems to be the only show ever discussed in this thread, is Deadliest Catch worth watching? My tolerance for reality shows is pretty low, but they've got 8 seasons on Netflix now. I've seen a few random episodes and I thought it was pretty boring but people here seem to dig it.

If you can get invested in the captains and crews then it's a decent watch but if you're just watching it for the "oh my god crab fishing is hard" angle then it gets repetitive really fast. The first season has a really different feel than the rest of the seasons because that was the only one to show the old derby style of crab fishing before they switched to the quota system they have now.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Whatever is going on with Sig's daughter is still way more interesting than Elliot's trainwreck of a personal life.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I just fast-forward Elliott's segments. Can't watch that clown anymore.

You're going to miss out when his crew finally snaps and murders him.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Chiwie posted:

Are they really using their newest and presumingly fastest ship as a relatively static refueler?

Considering what happened to all the other "newer and faster" ships they kept bringing along it was probably the best decision.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

That said, we're at the end of both seasons, so I've been recording Deadliest Catch because I want to find something else to watch with my morning coffee when I don't have any gold shows. One question I have is, why aren't they required to break for 10 hours like truck drivers. It might be "tv" making this seem more dangerous than it is, I don't know, but it certainly looks like all the same regs should apply here when peoples lives are on the line.

Isn't it because they are fishing in international waters so there's no labor laws or OSHA that require them to do so? Go back and watch the very first season when they still had the derby season instead of the quotas to see true insanity.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

howe_sam posted:

In other words the show has (thankfully) not lived up to its name -- except for all those poor crabs.

The show might have killed Captain Keith's marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Probably mad and glad at the same time. Mad they haven't had the opportunity to make a boat load of money showing it. And glad it hasn't happened because that would be awful.

I don't remember...did they have a camera crew on board when Phil Harris had his stroke?

• Locked thread