Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They used 200 pounds of ANFO in the garbage truck, versus 850 pounds in the cement mixer. I think ever since they had that mishap at the bomb range with a cannon they've toned down the kabooms. During the grenade segments for instance, I noticed Adam spent a lot of time assuring the viewers how far away from anything they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Like, I am highly suspicious of Sig's daughter being on the boat and how that whole thing is going down.

I haven't really been following Deadliest Catch that closely this season, but how have they been handling that? It seemed like a sort of stupid thing for Sig to be angsting about given his background, and how many kids wind up working on the boats.

Along those lines, how has the Cornelia been doing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jake, probably through the magic of editing, has always been a whiny baby so that doesn't surprise me. At the start of the opie season it seemed like the show was going to push a "Sig doesn't think a girl should be crab fishing" angle, so I'm glad they didn't go there?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They are definitely going there. That is basically 50% of the words being spoken whenever they cut to the Northwestern at the moment.

Well drat, that's a shame. I was hoping Sig's objections would be more about the toll of the job than just boring gender stuff.

I mean it would be interesting if there was at least one captain in the fleet who didn't want his kids following in his footsteps.(edit: basically what Campbell said I guess, good job Sig)

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 15, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That was some good myth busting tonight. Water heaters going boom is always fun. And the baby grand going splat on the roof cracked me up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

And just based on the way it's been framed so far it does not sound like they left of their own free will. Hope I'm wrong there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I just saw Adam and Jamie post a "it's been nice" thing on their Facebook page, but that's all I've heard about it. I don't keep up with the new episodes really; was it mentioned on the show?

Yeah, the ended the show with Adam announcing it and then they rolled a montage of build team highlights, but the three weren't actually there for the announcement. Plus the way Kari described it on Twitter, if you're cynical and read between the lines, they got fired. Which sucks.

azflyboy posted:

I'd imagine that Mythbusters is one of the more expensive series Discovery currently produces, so I have to wonder if getting rid of the supporting cast isn't an attempt at cost-cutting.

That's exactly how it reads to me, especially since Adam and Jaime fairly recently re-upped their contracts with Discovery.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's also too bad that their last myth was so lame. Though the airplane seating stuff was super fascinating.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well Grant's a kick-rear end electrical engineer and one of (I think) three people in the world who's considered good enough at effects works to work on R2-D2 so I'm sure he'll be snatched up.

All three of them are now so firmly entrenched in the pop-sci nerd entertainment scene I have no doubt they'll land on their feet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think Deadliest Catch is probably Discovery's flagship show these days, or one of those terrible faux-documentary series. Mythbusters is, if anything, something of an anomaly on their schedule.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You can see some of the "scriptiness" become more prominent in F&L with things like the themed episodes (Dale Jr, & the Bandit car), Richard hiring his sister, and pretty much any interaction he has with people in his office (including Christy).

Then again the show's always had a pretty blatant air of unreality about it. Somehow despite always working under those immense deadlines they find the time to film segments of Richard and Aaron loving around with the finished car. Or that Mustang that they "totaled" then later admitted they fixed and sold.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm ok with them testing stuff you see in movies and TV since people honestly believe a lot of that poo poo. So many people... :negative:

Sometimes it can be a little doofy when it's obviously a paid promotional thing (Moonshiners episode I'm looking at you), but yeah overall trying to replicate movies, TV, commercials, viral videos is a good use of the show's time since they are essentially modern myths.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ariza posted:

Alton Brown kept it up with those types and it got boring just as quick. That fat lady that explained things early on was the worst.

Deb Duchon ruled, and was maybe the most frequent guest star on Good Eats.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

More high speed footage of whipcracks please.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Didn't Tanner Foust talk a blind guy through drifting a car into a parking space on Top Gear US?

In fact, this would be a really good episode of Top Gear.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Watching them call blowing a ship out of the water busted made me wish the show pulled in experts more often to give the breakdown. I'm relatively sure Jaime wasn't pulling that stuff about how the surrounding water basically forces all the energy up the explosion up out of his rear end, but at the same time, because they present it as Jaime's extemporaneous musings you don't know if that's actually how the physics work.

Still was a pretty kaboom though, and the machine gun was fantastic, though are all M-60's as finicky as the one they used?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eh, the free fall pane smashing against the ground was a pretty high speed shot, and the guided pane hitting the dummy was :stonk:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wouldn't your skeletal structure keep you in one piece?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Heh,

quote:

Water will not compress. GoPros will.

The lawnmower from hell looked like something out of Mad Max: Suburban Road.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was Jake Harris, not Josh, who tried to bring the flat screen onto the boat. Up to now Josh had been working pretty hard to take over the CM, putting in all that time working on the Time Bandit and such. That being said it was shocking how indifferent the editing made Josh look while Casey was trying to repair the rudder,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So far the only good part of this gun episode is johnathan banks, everything just seems brain dead obvious and really slight.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's the same as it ever was. I wish they'd stop the cheesy intros.

Awww, the one last week made me genuinely laugh out loud. Good use of the Jaime is a robot gag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think the chase boat is there 24/7, in previous seasons they only had one boat acting as a camera ship for the entire fleet. Also in the first instance even if the chase boat was there they would still have to board a life raft to get over to it, so what Jake said isn't inaccurate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

IRQ posted:

being captained by Keith are disasters that no chase boat could help you survive.

Keith even drove Freddy insane!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Then why are his numbers always low and why does he keep getting lovely greenhorns?
Bill made his bones before the show started and retired to do other less hazardous fishing. Subsequently Bill came out of retirement, probably at the bequest of the show, but he doesn't have the same sort of contacts the other captains have to get a big quota, and his old crab fishing crew has scattered to the winds, so he has to build a new one with the dregs available.

Was I the only one who thought Sig was being an enormous hypocrite when he was talking about Jake Anderson, and how new captains have to rise through the ranks (work on deck, captain for salmon tendering, and then maybe you can run the boat for cab)? I mean, my recollection is Sig took over the Northwestern when he was in his early twenties. It really sounded to me like he was pissed that Jake was advancing his career outside of the way Sig was drawing it up and he no longer had that lever of control over the guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I call this one man getting hit in the groin with lightsaber.
e: spending this much time on a dumb as hell line from RotS feels like a waste.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 6, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mythbusters is done. Not a huge surprise given how long it's been on and how off brand it now is for Discovery. Still, hearing Jaime talk about this is the end of the road for him and Adam working together is a little :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The problem was they were three Adams without a Jaime.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The worst part was when Kari and Tory had to make an appearance on the child molester's show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sons of Guns. I mean the episode they appeared on was fine, but given what we eventually learned about Will Hayden, the whole thing is retroactively icky.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This implosion poo poo on Mythbusters is loving awesome.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holy poo poo, that final crush :dogbutton:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pulping tomato innards with a blasting cap produced some amazing high speed footage,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lord a loo, that was some spectacular high speed footage on Mythbusters :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, did they do stuff other than zombies? I didn't watch last night because the zombie myths were never my favorite.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So gummy bears will totally power a rocket, provided you process the gently caress out of them.

I also really love that their flashbacks aren't ignoring the build team.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That certainly was the most elaborate whoopie cushion I've ever did seen.

Punching your way out of a paper bag was a perfect myth.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 28, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The explosions are cool, but I think that rocket sled is my favorite recurring bit of destruction

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bye Buster :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Not gonna lie, it's getting a little dusty in here.

And that truck belongs in the next Mad Max film. :black101:

• Locked thread