Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really dig The Colony. Ten weeks is going to be brutal, though, especially with no real food supply. Watching Survivor and those guys try and get through 40 days with food handouts every so often, fish in rivers and ponds everywhere, they still came out skinny as rails in the end. They showed some potted plants, but there is no way that is going to keep 10 people going for seventy freaking days. Could you imagine drinking that piss water for that long?

I was kind of hoping they would reject those four stragglers, and make them set up a rival factory and just throw stones at each others buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

They also didn't get producers throwing baby goats into the middle of an LA housing project. Did nobody else notice that part of the promo? They're out scavving for food and some guy just finds a loving goat.

Hahaha what? Seriously?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Colony

So why are they building a truck to leave? Did they all sit down and watch The Road Warrior before they went in on this or what? Leave where? Back to real life and out of a TV show? How awesome would that be, 10 days into a 70 day show, they bust through some chain link fence and into a congested rush hour traffic with everyone wondering what the gently caress.

Also, the hobo scene. I kind of hoped that those were real hobos not in on the show and are now half dead corpses because Discovery Channel stole their food and raped their tent.

edit: goats

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I loved every episode. Mostly because of the rear end in a top hat factor.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I missed the first season of Gold Rush. How in the hell did these retards secure $250,000 in loans for a gold digging expedition? These people are absolutely insane. You've got some crazy old coot who wont stop digging holes EVERYWHERE. You've got an engineer who broke his back two or three times in the past, and he's up there living in a tiny camper taking morphine of all things. They keep showing all the other guys wandering around camp with military (clone?) weapons. I somehow doubt an AR15 is going to stop a bear, it's just going to piss it off. It's just bizarre. The whole show is just hosed.

They had an entire episode of some guy trying to set up a wave table to sift the gold out. The guy said he read the book twice, couldn't figure it out. It looked like they spent 3 or more days letting this guy try and get it working. No one else read the book, nor did it appear they used their cell to call the manufacturer for some help. Holy poo poo.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 30, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just caught that. Holy poo poo. "You can't come up here and just take over. No one is going to like that." He's pointing out how everything is not right, and they're literally screaming "SHUT UP!" at the guy. Unbelievable. They are all scared and upset the guy is there, yet he knows how to get their operation working, he knows how to set the machines up, he has done it all before and gotten rich. But none of those guys are having any of it.

This show is amazing in the fact that these people are an example what not to do to ever follow your dreams.

Their split went from 20/80 to 40/60 because of it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 30, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Dorsey has a blog. Read it. He responds to a lot of the comments and questions.

Latest post:

quote:

I got an interesting phone call today. A man called me about his mill he saw on our program that was unauthorized to cut lumber for private parties. He called to ask me about what I knew about the use of the band saw as his company is the owner of that entire lumber mill and truck that delivered all of the trees that someone cut down on Ray Kreig’s and State land that built Greg’s house? What???

When we reached the mine in early May there was fresh trees that were cut down by a man who had supposedly attained permission from Earle Foster. But they were laying all over where we were to set up our camp and mining operation. It was the US Forest service inspector that came to investigate the illegally cut trees on state land that brought the State Fish and Game biologist who eventually turned us in for illegally digging the water channel. Man, what a mess all of this was!

I received permission to drive the logging truck as help to Greg (my cabin/tent had been finished for a week before he even started his custom home.) Now I was legal to drive the truck as I have my Alaskan Class A CDL with double and triple endorsements. So being LEGAL I thought it just seemed right that I would be the one to drive the logs out. I realized that something was wrong when the man commissioned by Earle said those were his logs. Greg and I had a falling out as he was trying to tell me how to back a truck he didn’t own through willow trees to get the “alleged stolen” logs (HE DOES NOT HAVE A CDL and had never been to truck driving school) SO I said F it. The logs were questionable and the truck is questionable as to the legality of insurance. Little did I know not only was the truck not the mill owners the mill itself was not the “mill owners.” And maybe Ray Krieg never found out that some of his trees were cut down. I would hope if I were the parties involved that he never found out as he is a attorney in Anchorage.

Ok, so let me get this straight for all of you Gold Rush Fans. Greg built his house from stolen logs (which later he ended up purchasing from the logger), hauled them without a License, drove a dump truck with logs which is illegal even if you had a license, made a deal with a mill owner who had a mill that was not authorized for personal use and then hauled the lumber back to Porcupine to build a house on private property that he did not own for a family that spent a total of four weeks in the place.

I wish that people would understand that not doing things correctly causes more problems than it avoids. Yes, this is coming from Dorsey who is a Oregon State Licensed Principal Broker, Class A CDL holder with ALL ENDORSEMENTS, Concealed Handgun Permit Holder, MSHA approved miner, fully certified and insured snowboard and kiteboard instructor, ETC. ETC. ETC. I pay thousands a year to keep up with all of this crap and I keep going deeper. Right now I am working on jumping through all of the hoops to start my own mining operation which seems to take an act of congress. I am taking classes and purchasing magazines for explosives to acquire my ATF blasting license. The list is endless. Call me hazardous if you want but at the end of the day I would have taken out a permit to legally poop on the Hoffman’s operation… after all who built the outhouse?

annnnnnnd...

quote:

The 72 hour deadline was about 3-4 weeks of filming. It dragged on for weeks. This was a plot for an episode that was made up by the screenwriters and producers that really didn’t sit well with Todd Hoffman. He was not interested at all in playing along with story lines that were developed by the production team.

Lots more..

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 4, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Latest Gold Rush Alaska was amusing.

"We got $2 worth of gold out of a $5 bucket."

*guy starts throwing buckets all over pissed*

"We need a plan. It's like Jack is just driving around randomly digging holes everywhere!"

NO poo poo?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Teek posted:

Anyone else catch the premiere of the new season of Out of the Wild last night? Seems to be going like last season, even with the warmer climate there's still the danger of hypothermia, so I guess not much changed. I'm interested to see them get to a point where they'll have to start hunting.

I'm really digging this show! I never saw the first season, but so far this one has been pretty good. The last episode is when they made camp for a few days and caught fish with goofy net..things. It definitely has that Survivor feel without the challenges/voting people off.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Teek posted:

This is actually the third season of Out of the Wild. The first two seasons took place in Alaska. The first season was a lot different, it focused on several groups of 2-3 people living in different types of housing in the Alaskan wilderness. There were a couple of varied size cabins and huts that they lived in for 2-3 months. The show focused on them adjusting to life there, gathering supplies, fishing and hunting. There wasn't much in the way of "wow" moments since they were all at static locations with little adventure. Towards the end of the season, one of the groups decided to hike to one of the other cabins, they planned to do it in like 2 days and packed accordingly, but it ended up taking them like 5 days to do it through terrible conditions.

I'm thinking that experience caused the producers to re-evaluate what to do in season 2, which was the model we see in season 3. In season 2, a group of 9-10 people were dropped off in the Alaskan wilderness, they hiked and camped for a few days, hiked to the next location and camped, etc, over the course of something like 50 days they went through like 10 different camps. So if anyone is liking this current season, check out season 2 which is basically the same thing except set in Alaska during the late summer/early fall.

I had no idea! The first season actually sounds right up my alley to be honest. There have been a few series like Frontier House and such where groups of people all thrown in to conditions of the past and they had to survive for a few months. Love those shows.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment is on streaming Netflix in HD if anyone cares. We started watching it and I'm liking it a lot more than the current season (so far). It has them trekking 50 miles across frozen death.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Heads up for Alaska Experiment Season ONE. Entire season (7 episodes) are airing in a marathon this Saturday morning on Planet Green channel (didnt even know I had this, I guess it is a Discovery channel sister channel). Netflix doesnt offer this, and the DVDs are a bit much $$. (Been catching up with past seasons)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 18, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This Dual Survival show is pretty good! I like the fact that you have two completely different personalities playing off each other trying to survive as a pair. It makes for far far more interesting TV than a single guy drinking his own piss for an hour. They keep playing a lot of these shows over and over, so now is a good time to check it out. It made its way onto my playlist, I REALLY like this show. One guy is an old school Indian who lives off the land barefoot, the other guy is an ex-sniper military meat eating tyrannosaurus. They don't get along 100%, so it adds personality to a now dull idea.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dude just intentionally slashed his arm open, poured gunpowder into the cut and cauterized it. Holy hell.

For education!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wartime Consigliere posted:

So I just discovered Dual Survival a week or 2 ago.

It's a great show but it seems like it's going from a great show about survival and techniques and whatnot to "Hey let's have Dave call Cody a hippie and something about his bare feet again" and "Hey let's have Cody talk about Dave taking too many risks" bullshit conflicts. The tension in the 1st episode was real, but the newer ones the guys know each other and it's obvious that they are being told to create a conflict for some reason.

There's enough drama and conflict without having to manufacture one between the two guys.

I just binged through about 4 more episodes and I have to agree with you a bit here. It isn't bugging me that much, but they could tone it down a bit. I also wish they wouldn't treat every episode like its a season premiere and explain how Cody is good in dry environments and Dave is good in wet ones.

I gotta say, though, I've never seen so many ways to start a fire or make rope. The people expecting to go on future Survivor shows could probably learn a lot from these shows.

Lots of neat pictures of Cody teaching survival school here. I think it would be cool to do that for a week or two. That guy is so drat laid back.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 23, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dammit. How did I end up here.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 29, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Do we have a History Channel thread? We should have one. The shows are similar enough to Discovery, I don't see why they shouldn't be the same thread.

There is one somewhere. They could be easily combined. Between the three people still watching Mythbusters, and you, me and maybe some other guy randomly watching Ice Road Truckers, we might see 5 posts a week.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yep! The discussion for that has been happening in the Gold Rush thread since they're basically the same show. Idiots on land, idiots on water. Whole lot of broken down poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trying to find a replacement for the Gold Rush shows since we're inbetween seasons.

Unearthed initially looked like a good choice, but they have loving idiots hiding jars with $10,000 in hollowed out logs in the middle of the woods, they keep finding crack pipes on their property out in the middle of nowhere. Someone put traps and trip lines all over the place. It's so over the top it's close to unwatchable. I don't need drama, I just want to see dudes digging dirt and getting truffles. This other weirdo poo poo can go away.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Photex posted:

Bering Sea Gold is back and it's started off pretty good if anyone cares, i know there was a thread for it back in the day but i can't seem to find it :shrug:

We're the only two left on the planet watching this show.

BSG "Under the Ice" kinda of petered out. It looks like Nome didn't like all the hobos showing up to strike it rich and locked down permits. It honestly looked like the only people out dredging the ice were the people on the TV show. Last season there were shacks every 10 feet for miles. It also might explain why the Christine Rose guys went *100* miles away to go mine for what looked like a week.

It sucks because I liked the under the ice out of all the shows, and they neutered it. It'll be interesting to see if it's the same way with BSG normal this season. I have a feeling it'll be a full Tomcot claim and that's about it.

Gold Rush starts next week.I saw it on my DVR yesterday thinking it already started but it was just a recap of last season which I didn't need to see, I just deleted it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 11, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I'm going through this latest episode. The oil pan cracks in their D11, and Hoffman is all "We have 3 days to get this going, do whatever it takes" so the guy orders a part that is going to take a week to be shipped to the middle of nowhere and seals the crack temporarily. Why didn't that exact day, drive to the nearest air port and fly his rear end down personally, get the part, and arrive back by the end of the next day? Or paid the company to send someone. The costs are insignificant compared to what they might lose. If they had to manufacture the part, it would make sense, but these dozers have part supplies everywhere. Just pay for a heli lift to an airport, do whatever.

Dammit Todd.

Also, where did the Gold Rush/Gold thread go? We had a lot of people in there and it was pretty popular! A new season of Prospectors just started too!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nah, just a week off because of holidays. It's showing a new episode for me on the Tivo this coming Friday.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What bearing would that have on anything whatsoever? He's too loving old to make an act out of anything he's done.

Parker is still a jackass, though. Or at least, terrible at social situations that require him to lead rather than to lay down the law.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Need more gold shows. I keep trying these other shows and they just dont do it for me. I need the gold, baby.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Gold Rush and Bearing Sea Gold are probably two shows that have been in my top 5 for yeaaaaars. It's more about technology being used to get the gold, and then the people are secondary. So you end up seeing these awesome expensive machines run by smart people/idiots/red necks/clueless people which makes them really enjoyable to watch.

That said, we're at the end of both seasons, so I've been recording Deadliest Catch because I want to find something else to watch with my morning coffee when I don't have any gold shows. One question I have is, why aren't they required to break for 10 hours like truck drivers. It might be "tv" making this seem more dangerous than it is, I don't know, but it certainly looks like all the same regs should apply here when peoples lives are on the line.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bering Sea Gold finally came to a close for the season. The Pomrenkes got over 2000 ounces in 5 weeks doing inland mining. They just made the Gold Rush people look like the amateurs they really are. I guess when you have four generations of mining, you have things ironed out pretty well. The final Bering Sea Gold has all the teams sitting around asking all the questions to each other. Verne is way too stubborn who is fine with losing money after money every season. I'm guessing the show is paying enough to keep that dream alive. Used to hate some of these people, but over this past season they've all oddly become easier to watch, I think they've been showing a bit more empathy this time around instead of just a stupid fight and then that's it. Under the Ice previews look good, and I've always liked that better than the summer seasons.

Kinda hoping they spin the Pomrenkes inland mining into it's own show as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been rewatching Gold Rush on Hulu. Man the early stuff was fun. The Dakota Boys were such aholes. Such a good show, but I wish they'd go back to small time mining again.

• Locked thread