Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around who doesn't like Deadliest Catch.

I'm a big fan of Mythbusters, but they play the everyloving gently caress out of that show, and in giant blocks every other day, so its gotten to the point where I'll come home and get mad when I see a 6-pack of Mythbusters on the TiVo and just clear them out without even checking what they are.

Now How It's Made is completely different. For some reason I can watch the same episodes over and over (and they sure do seem to play that "snowboards" episode a loving lot) but I never really get tired of it. Contrary to Mythbusters, I can come home, find 3 or 4 episodes that I've seen a hundred times before and just chill out watching them back to back. Plus, every time I catch an episode I haven't seen in a while it's like a special little surprise :shobon:

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome. He's a great dynamic host, and both his and Les' shows have their place. I don't really try to stack the two against each other and just try to take them at face value. They're both entertaining in their own way. The fact that Bear has a crew doesn't diminish the awesome poo poo that he does at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I just don't get why Les wouldn't show the camera when he kills things...that always puzzled me.

Since he's his own camera crew, my guess is that he's too busy actually killing something to set up a good shot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I generously give that idea a zero percent chance of making out of the meeting room and onto film, but go fight the good fight Jamie :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

Last weeks Mythbusters was the first time I had to stop watching the show -- the saliva collecting made me dry heave. I'm almost gagging just thinking about it.

Yeah, you'd better believe I fast forwarded the TiVo right past that :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to start submitting badass Hockey myths for them to bust.

Such as...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good LORD. I'm just catching up on Dirty Jobs, but this Vegas food disposal job is easily the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

When that slop exploded off of the truck, I nearly lost it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kari is a horribly forced actress period.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really get much of a "hamming it up for the camera" from Grant or Tori, but that could easily be because Kari is tipping the scales.

Completely agree on just letting them bullshit. It would be so much better. I'm not particularly great friends with my coworkers, but even we banter about what we do -- if there was a TV show about software development, I'd be a loving star.

I'm looking forward to the new viewer myth special, but to be completely honest I'm pretty sick of these "specials". Every other show I catch is either Myths Revisited or XYZ Special.

There has to be at least enough interesting myths left for one season of non-gimmick episodes :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McGravin posted:

the Malarchuk video is the most chilling thing I have ever, ever seen. Why does it always happen to goalies?

As a goalie, I've only ever been able to watch it once. It makes me :smith:

quote:

And there are no words for how much I hate Danny Forster, the host of Build It Bigger. Seriously, could they have found a bigger spaz? Even if he weren't the most horrible host on the entire channel, why did they get an architect to host a show that's primarily engineering? That's like getting a painter to host a show on physics.

They could have gotten that guy from Lost Cities of the Underworld. That guy, yeah, he's pretty loving spazzy himself. CALM DOWN SUNSHINE!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Darth Freddy posted:

Though on the base ball one I don’t understand why they slowed down before they hit the base, I thought the point of running over the base was doing it at full speed even if it took you passed the base? Any baseball person care to enlighten me on this?

I'm obviously clueless as far as baseball rules go, but I guess you actually have to be ON the base when you get tagged to be safe, otherwise you're out, so you risk being tagged out since your momentum makes it impossible to stop on a dime (er, base) without slowing down.

Honestly, I thought that whole Roger Clemens bit about "is it really dropping or is it an optical illusion" was about as weak a 'myth' as you can get, and obviously just an excuse to get The Rocket on the show. The mechanics behind the ball rotation was interesting, but not enough for a whole bit on it. "Busting" that myth would involve taking any game footage and slowing it down.

Though I am complaining an awful lot about something that doesn't really matter, and in the end it was an enjoyable show despite me not caring about Baseball in the least :toot:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 14, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay, sorry guys, but that was pretty lame. Can we please stick to two good myths per episode instead of rushing to do 30 lovely two minute segments?

The cars in reverse was pretty okay and cigarette butts was decent, but the whole show was really bland forgettable.

My "viewer suggestion" is "stop doing lovely gimmick shows".

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 16, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They have some good material on the fansite, they just seem to be picking stuff like "hey blow up my parent's car".

Part of what got me into Mythbusters was long drawn out myths with elaborate contraptions and mini experiments along the way. They just seem to have gotten away from that for a few episodes. I'm not railing on the entire show, just these specials that seem to crop up more and more. And honestly, even those wouldn't be so bad if they were done right. Hollywood myths was pretty good, and I'm pretty sure there were a few others that I just can't think of right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Man vs Wild: Mall of America.

"If you should find yourself in a Hot Topic, you must act quickly. Your initial reaction will be shock, but it is important to keep focused. The only way to show it to you is for me to go in."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Wow. Discovery channel has started being massive faggots and added 24 hour timers to their shows through tivo.

Why the gently caress did I pay for a DVR when I can't actually use it?

Wait, hang on -- what did they do exactly? I don't see anything wrong with my TiVo's Discovery, unless I'm just not looking at something right.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, gently caress, that's probably why my Mythbusters is loving MISSING.

I don't have time to watch it during the week, gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hunh. Nevermind, my mythbusters was, in fact, NOT missing. Go figure. I was just looking on the wrong page of recorded shows :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nope.

No copy protection here. Would the fact that I'm on a Series-1 TiVo with old software have anything to do with it, do you think?

Edit: Looks like it was introduced in the 7.0 series software. Sorry guys, condolences!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 25, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I have to say that it was a pretty good episode!

(that, once again, proved the build team can't act :q: )

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think we found the only person on the planet who pronounces it "ARRFYD" too :pwn:

Mythbusters fans getting stupider: CONFIRMED

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe I'm just jaded but I have to question whether they'd actually air something that did successfully and repeatedly make a speed camera fail to issue a ticket. Even with their typical "it's possible but its stupid and you shouldn't do it" warning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

As for Jamie having some sort of specops spook background, I would not be the least bit surprised. If not that, then some substantial skeletons in his closet. :tinfoil:

Countdown to Jamie having some sort of horrible flashback and snapping Adam in two like a toothpick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guh, goddamn. I just hooked up my HD service and it turns out I have Discovery HD Theater, but not plain loving Discovery HD, so no loving simulcast Mythbusters for me :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Most of the cast of Mythbusters are horrible actors. I don't say that to be a dick, but whenever they exaggerate or try to play anything up it becomes almost unwatchably bad.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show -- just hate when they try to turn it on for the camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Not to mention... Tory is 37... Somehow it seems like he might be mid 20's.. but he's pushing 40. Somehow it's all just a bit creepy.

Seriously? I thought he was like 29 or something. 32 tops. How old are the others?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So these guys all look a lot younger than they are. I put Kari at maybe mid 20s, Grant and Tory at late 20s. I guess they just all just act a lot younger.

I honestly didn't even venture a guess as to how old Adam and Jamie were though, so I guess they aren't much of a surprise.

Anyway, I don't feel so bad turning 30 this year now :laffo:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 22, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hadn't ever watched Smashlab before, so from the outside in I figured you guys were just nitpicky whiners.

So I watched an episode just now. Holy wow, is it ever bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

I made mine up, but the fact that you believed that it was a real topic for the show shows just how retarded this show is, and how little faith we have in it.

I didn't even bat an eye, that's how dumb this show is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So can we safely say that the problem with most of Discovery's bad shows is that Mike isn't hosting them?

I'd have to say that I'd probably watch the gently caress out of Smash Lab if it was Mike and his camera crew breaking poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IntoTheNihil posted:

I think "dirty job" is just referring to the jobs most people wouldn't ever consider doing now. Not necessarily dirty, but unappealing.

"poo poo Jobs" didn't pass the censors :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My crazy fear of heights kicked in when Mike was working on the edge of the building putting the water tank up. And the part at the end where he was chillin on the crossbeam, that put me over the edge!

What a horrible fear to have, that I can't even WATCH people work high up :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Am I the only person alive who has absolutely zero interest in sharks? :(

Edit: Or crab fishing, apparently. I'm very antisocial or something :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

You also hate christmas and kittens too, right?

I'm a dog person :colbert:

But Christmas :rock: gently caress yeah

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

The latest commercial I saw seemed to suggest that they've dropped this stupid idea, and instead are going with some kind of fake rivalry between cast members to come up with better ideas for making a car survive a fall off of a cliff, etc.

If the cast wasn't so unlikeable, this would be a pretty fun premise for a show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It all depends on the experiment. There are shows where the build team portions are much more entertaining than Adamn and Jamie's and vice versa. For the most part they're OK :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IfYouSeeKay posted:

In an attempt to "save" a car that is falling off a cliff, they have attached very large air bladders to the outside of the car with steel reinforcing rods that will break off and kill the occupants more quickly.

Who cares about the occupants, WILL THE CAR SURVIVE? :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My dislike of Shark Week is far far far outweighed by my mancrush on Mike Rowe and that WAS an amazing episode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I don't necessarily want to see him anchoring on CNN or anything, although I'm sure he'd do a loving fantastic job.

Keep sending in those Dirty Jobs, America, and this won't have to be a problem :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Anderson Cooper pulled if off. I don't see why Mike Rowe couldn't.

I'm not saying he couldn't, I'm saying I wouldn't want him to :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember when TLC ran Connections

That was the show that got me hooked on edu tv :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Another favourite oldie of mine from TLC, the Secret Life of Machines, is available to watch online jesus christ YES :monocle:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/

• Locked thread