Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BlockStacker posted:

To people who have seen both shows: How does Man vs. Wild stack up against Survivorman?

I'm going to disagree both with the guy that preferred Man vs. Wild and the guy that said they were comparable. Survivorman, in my opinion, is far superior for several reasons. First and foremost, Les Stroud doesn't "cheat" in his survival situation. You can see Bear with life jackets and harnesses and whatnot when he's in dangerous situations, and I'm sure he doesn't skimp on the food, matches, fuel, and handwarmers the camera crew bring along. When you see Les stranded on a liferaft for a week, however, you know it's him and only him in that boat, with zero assistance from anyone.

Also, if you watch the 2-hour documentary Les did where he tries to go green in the Canadian wild with his whole family, it's amazingly fantastic the personal drive this guy has to be close to nature and exist in harmony with his surroundings. He's such a neat guy.

Additionally, and slightly less importantly, I prefer the method of surviving for a week straight in a situation (past where you can function without some sort of food and water) as opposed to Bear's ordeals where he's dropped 2 days easy hike from anywhere.

While I will admit Bear does some pretty hosed up things (the raw fish and elephant poo water were amazing) and he's still a great guy and all, I just personally prefer Survivorman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

LordOfThePants posted:

Last Friday at 9 - I actually thought it was an old episode (The Sahara), but it turns out I was remembering the Survivorman episode.

It's actually a two-parter., next week's episode looks pretty cool/disgusting. The preview clip showed him in a gutted camel, first pulling something green out of the body cavity and squeezing the liquid out of it to drink, then climbing inside the gutted carcass to get out of the sun

I'm going to make sure to watch it on an empty stomach.

I like how Man vs Wild has officially given up the pretext of it being Bear on his own now. Not only did he get help from the locals, but he then crossed "20 to 30 miles" of saltpans and scaled 2 loving huge cliffs and stumbled upon the one waterfall the whole of the Sahara all before the sun was even close to setting.

Plus the rope and harness were pretty clear in 2 or 3 shots.

Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic show, it's just that he's sort of admitting he is not in any way taking these situations on by himself any more. Before it was "I need to build a huge raft out of bamboo I'm chopping down with a knife and I can do it in one evening by myself" and now it's "Oh these convenient helicopter shots of me standing above the cliff and a then we're at the bottom!"

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I watched the first five or ten minutes of it, and I noticed they repeated things. The diagram of the cars running into each other with the voice telling us what's going to happen. Then the scientist woman telling us what is going to happen while showing the diagram. Then a review of diagram and what is going to happen after they set it up on that runway thing.

The Mythbusters today was good though. Watching the bullet go head over heals in the new super duper high speed camera was spectacular.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Splendiferous posted:

How come no one's talking about The Alaska Experiment? Am I the only person that likes it?

I love it and think it's fantastic, better than last season. Of course I'm Alaskan, so have a bias. But drat, the poo poo they're doing is really really hard. Chances are not a lot of you know what it's like to not shower, have a toilet, or have a grocery store for a month. Of course, it was hilarious that the the only hunter amongst them left in the first episode, and the outdoor tour guide or whatever left in the second or third. That really hosed them. Now they just traipse about making too much noise to hunt, which is kind of sad. Plus they have a pea shooter so they can't hunt big game. Now that I think of it, I wonder how many caribou or bears or whatever they've seen and just not been able to kill.

I think I like the dynamic of the show more than anything. No "omg Becky slept with Joey" drama, no stupid competitions, none of that. Just five people surviving for a month with nothing but a gun and some sleeping bags. And a ukulele. What happened to that ukulele? I bet they threw it out or burned it.

Speaking of the ukulele, they really cocked it up in the beginning, choosing which items to bring. The snow shovel could have been a fine fishing pole or net, and the ukulele seemed like a perfect rodent trap. The giant loving wash bin was kind of hilarious to see them lug around, but I guess at least they found a use for it. Of all things to find a use for, they chose the giant loving wash bin.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Goddamnit. After watching the whole season religiously, I missed the last half of the last episode of The Alaska Experiment. It's not on hulu or discovery.com and if it's anything like previous seasons it'll never be replayed. Anyone have any information on how I can (legally of course) watch the episode?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure I like the direction they're going in then. Everybody knows the dude died and it seems kind of exploitative not to be up-front about it. I mean at least like a blurb at the start dedicating the season to him or something.

They devoted a whole day to him shortly after he died. As in, the tribute already happened.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

I don't think Discovery knew about the drug problem before Phil caught Jake.

I'm guessing Jake managed to cover up the drug use pretty well for most of the trip (Phil didn't notice missing pills, so Jake can't have used too much), since being stoned on painkillers makes someone act differently than just being dead tired.

Those guys are also around each other enough that heavy drug use probably would have stood out to someone, especially the loss of coordination and poor judgment that go with heavy narcotic use. I'm guessing that when the episode was taped, Jake had started taking more of the drugs, since he hadn't seemed visibly stoned during earlier episodes.

Plus, having someone abusing narcotics in a job that's normally dangerous is incredibly unsafe for everyone on board, so there's no way the Discovery crew would have kept quiet if they thought Jake was that stoned before.

I've had a decent amount of experience working with people who are habitually stoned as gently caress on painkillers, and I didn't notice it until Jake came upstairs to talk to Phil, then it was incredibly obvious. I don't know if they edited it cleverly, but if you hear an addict talking when he isn't high, it's really really obvious.

Sucks for Phil though, I hope Jake is in treatment :( Opiates are awful but hey, bright side is that he's not on meth/heroin as far as we know.

Edit: I haven't been watching every episode, so I dunno.

Edit2: \/\/ Word.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 16, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Strange Matter posted:

Ha ha ha ha Adam turned his segway into a chariot.

The chariot segway and the image of the little plastic fist bouncing off the springy car cracked me the gently caress up.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My family owns a few gold claims in Alaska, and we were contacted by the producers offering to buy one of our claims for the show. We also know the guy who owns that particular claim. If anyone wants specifics about how loving retarded these retards are, I can answer your questions. I could only watch about five minutes of the show it was so painful, but my step dad (the owner of the claims) watches it all the time just for the humor.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
First I should clarify that I have little to do with our gold claims, it's the step dad's and step siblings' operation more than mine.

Palleon posted:

Wait, so did the TV show people potentially buy the claim for these people? I do wonder how much money they're getting for the show, ie, does it really matter if they don't find gold if they're all getting money for appearing regardless?

And do they really use the term glory hole, because that seems like something the producers told them it was called just so they could say glory hole 20 times an episode.

I think they rented the claim.

FogHelmut posted:

Why don't large industrial operations come through and tear all the gold out? The people on the show look like they want to treat mining like going "camping" in a $300k luxury RV, whereas I imagine real mining would be like Bear Grylls' version of camping in this analogy. Do you think the show is promoting the idea of gold mining as a tourist destination?

It's super super super expensive to get equipment anywhere that isn't on the road system. I think it would take like $2mil and 2 years to move a single large shovel to one of our locations. We would have had to barge it up from Vancouver or Seattle, then barge it up several rivers, then wait for the ground to freeze, then drive however long it needs to be driven. The most effective way - using a big rear end helicopter - can only bring it tiny backhoes and the occasional other small piece of equipment. Remember Alaska is the size of several Texases, with way fewer miles of road than Rhode Island.

These idiots specifically looked for a claim on the road system so they could truck everything up cheaply and quickly. And if it's on the road system chances are it's been looked at and rejected by the big companies, or already picked over by the owners.

We only use our claims for tourism or camping in the summer, or for hunting in the autumn/spring. During the summer, tourists will pay good money to go camping for a week and poke around the dirt with metal detectors trying to find a gold nugget.

The big mining operations wouldn't make enough money. It's not like there's a bazillion dollars worth of gold in the ground, it's usually just a few flakes in a river bed or a few nuggets scattered around a large area. I don't know how this show ends, but I highly doubt these guy will make anywhere near enough money to recoup any of their expenditures.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 1, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

They always present a "worst case scenario." I have no issue with the bucket ice.

Yeah I thought the blue ice myth was the best one they've had in a while. It's one of those things you just never think about, but if you stop for a second you say "huh, that's interesting."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

I'd like to see them forget the "myths" for one episode and just build outlandish vehicle mounted paintball weapons for the ultimate paintball demolition derby.

Discovery (or maybe TNT?) had a whole show dedicated to this concept, except real guns and real demolition derbies. Like battlebots with cars, or Twisted Metal. Surprisingly, it sucked huge balls and they cancelled it immediately. That was one of the biggest failures in terms of awesome-expectation-to-utter-disappointment ratios.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

Have their been episodes these past two weeks? Or at least yesterday? My DVR recorded poo poo. Though I think I know why this might have happened this time.

This week had two really really really boring myths, you didn't miss anything. No episode last week, and a dumb clip show the week before (I think I have the sequence down).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Thoughts on Adam and Jamie's new show, Unchained Reactions? I hate to get all 'spergy, but that was the worst show I've seen on Discovery in a long time. It was even worse than that Penn and Teller show that was utterly terrible. I weirdly felt bad stopping the show half way through and deleting it from TiVo, given how awesome Adam and Jamie are on Mythbusters.

Unchained Reactions was really weirdly narrated, had no entertaining people at all (spoiler alert: Adam and Jamie don't participate at all), didn't bother showing the teams building half their contraptions, and try to instill a terribly awkward sense of drama into the whole thing, and they give the teams neither enough time nor enough materials to make anything genuinely entertaining. In short, it was completely flat. The most entertaining bit was a chair flipping right side up, at least in the part I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
oopsies wrong thread.

Edit: I hate all new Discovery Channel programming. Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters are the last bastions of hope for an otherwise completely lowest-common-denominator channel.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 20, 2012

• Locked thread