Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's a new show, Really Big Things, hosted by the moronic Matt Rogers. I like the premise of the show - big rear end machines in action, but the host has got to go. I expect him to say "Git 'r dun" after every segment.

This show could be so good with a good host. An American Idol reject is not it.

John Ford Coley posted:

You know, I don't really care much for How It's Made. I don't know if it's the products they choose to show, or the narration, or the production quality, or what, it's just so BORING. There are other shows that do what it does, and better.

I think it's a Quebec show, so we get a dubbed version. "Made in America" on the Travel Channel is a little better, except it's a bit rah-rah USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They do seem quite desperate when they ask for new ideas at the end of Dirty Jobs.

OTOH, they can just stretch them out a little bit more, so you get two jobs per episode. And they've already done some pretty dodgy ones, like the fainting goats.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish they would repeat previous seasons of the show dammit! I want to see the first season.
They were showing an episode a day, last I checked, though it's on at 11 AM or so. They cycle through pretty fast because each season only has 10 or 12 episodes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I just found out that it was the last season that was done "derby" style where basically it was a free for all race to get crab, as opposed to the quota system that debuted with season 2, when I first started watching.
And the real problem is that the derby style is what made it the most dangerous job! Like if a boat loses a prop now, they'll definitely go back to port and get it fixed because they have time. In the old days, they would need to keep fishing, because waiting would leave them with $0. And then if a storm came up, well they would just be screwed, because having half your power is not a good thing in a storm.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks! I wish Tivo was smart enough to record those kinds of things if you have a season pass.

Of course, it's because of Tivo that I don't see the promos for the special in the first place, so I guess that's fair.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is "Build It Bigger" really a new series? I could swear I've seen a few of those episodes scattered around randomly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Syncopator posted:

I miss How It's Made. SHARK WEEK:argh:
That would be epic: How It's Made: Shark Stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Plus, it makes you think most things are made with no human intervention at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I heard that Mr. Rowe also has/had some back problems, which kept him from doing any hard labor dirty job for a while.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I am really very over Mythbusters. I still watch it, but half the time I fall asleep halfway through and watch the other half the next day. That's not really the sign of an exciting show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They needed one of those unbreakable diamond tethers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A sign I've watched too many Futurama: when I don't even realize I'm referencing it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The only place I've heard about the thumbs thing is in demolition derby. You don't hook your thumbs in because someone could hit your wheels or front-end and jerk the steering wheel around, which would catch your thumbs.

In that environment, it makes sense. Trying to protect against that kind of thing in normal driving is just silly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I was hoping they'd try a .45ACP in the bullet swatting test, seeing as it's fairly slow moving for a bullet (somewhere in the 700-800fps range), rather than just trying bog standard 9mm rounds.
I think they said they were the weakest 9mm they could find.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Butthole Prince posted:

It's obviously off topic, but since someone brought up the Science Channel and the History Channel, I may as well ask: any recommendations for shows on those channels?
It seems like every interesting show advertised on Discovery is actually on the Science Channel. Which I don't get. Boo. So I suggest watching the ads.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

IRQ posted:

He always struck me as one of those guys that acts way younger than he should. Like Ty Pennington, but much less obnoxious.
Ty is 43, so... yeah.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone remember that show that was basically "strap rockets to stuff"? It was kind of like smash labs, but with less helping the world and more rockets. They got a task at the start, and maybe there were two teams and they they launched cars and stuff at the end. Still pretty mediocre though. I just can't remember the name.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I remember it. They still occasionally give it on the Science Channel I think.
Thanks, adding Science Channel was enough to get Google working. It was Master Blasters, on Sci-fi originally, and only actually had 4 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Blasters_%28TV_series%29

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The escape show is nowhere near as crappy as smash lab. That's something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't know what you're talking about, Smash Lab's second season was way better than the first one. I really enjoy it now. It may be better than Mythbusters (although that's mainly because I fast-forward half of Mythbusters nowadays).

You have to watch the one where they are trying to get a log truck to not rollover. One solution was a downmounted fan, like the opposite of a hovercraft, which amazingly worked on pavement, and then triumphantly failed on the actual dirt road. Good TV, even if they fail.

Plus, what other show seriously almost kills their hosts repeatedly? Just this season, they have: risen too fast while diving underwater, set off an acetylene explosion in a capsized boat they were in, had an out of control remote-controlled car come straight at them (twice), been working under a full log truck when the load shifted. I'm sure I'm missing a few too. It's brilliant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'll have to check out that Time Warp show. I never saw the preview ep. Weird that's it's a 30 minute show on Discovery.

I wonder if they're going to make a full season of that escape artist show One Way Out too?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the-jam posted:

Wow Prototype This! is like a Smash Lab that doesn't suck.
Hmm, maybe I should watch the rest of it. I watched the intro and my first impression was "this is a pretty boring scenario for your first episode".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That Prototype This show actually spent a segment trying to explain what threads are. Usually they don't spend any time on the coding part of things, so that was kind of neat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I liked the underwater CO2 shockwave too. It was very Hunt for Red October.

But then they throw in filler like the tablecloth. Guess what guys: the plates and silverware doesn't move in slow-mo either.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does kind of seem like he's done every environment already.

(Actually, it seemed that way after the first season.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what the deal is with having 30 minute episodes and then running them back-to-back. They did the same with the slow-mo show. Do they get broadcast split up somewhere?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hutch posted:

Even after the Derby days, King Crab season is only about a week long. When it was still derby rules the season sometimes was as short as 4 days (but there were also two to three times as many boats out there).
I'm not sure that it's that short, but the big limiter now is that the processor boats have the power. They might want to only be out there two weeks, so they say "we'll pay half-price for crab after this date, and we're a monopoly so tough for you".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ashpanash posted:

From what I've read, the producers actually try to tell the build team to tone down their excitement. So it's not artificial (like the intro segments.)
Ugh, the intro segments. Are they intentionally awful, or is it the best they can do?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

inignot posted:

i don't know what these wistful halcyon days of Mythbusters gone by you're all reminiscing about are. As I recall the first iteration featuring only Adam and Jamie also included overwrought phony personality conflict between the two of them.
The first iteration had:

1) Myths that ran straight through for 20 or 30 minutes, instead of being intercut and all finishing up in the last 10 minutes.
2) A lot more time spent on the builds, especially with sourcing. Like when they put the pig in the car to replicate a dead body, they spent a segment on how they got the car, and how they tracked down where to find a pig, and they were both pretty involved. And they would visit all the cool stores Adam knew in the SF areas. Now they skip right past that part. I guess money makes things easier; if you need a bus, you just buy a bus.
3) On the plus side, at least they don't have the "urban myth" expert anymore doing talking heads.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone know what the deal is with "Factory Made"? It seems identical to "How It's Made". And there are some other shows that seem like the same idea too.

(I get Science HD, which shows these about 50% of the time overnight.)

Another interesting comparison is the various moving shows and the various "big things" shows. Usually whatever is a rebranded UK documentary is the best. Impossible Moves and Big, BIgger, Biggest are both great (and clearly have a bigger budget than the average docu.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 24, 2010

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/press-releases/2010/Passing-of-Captain-Phil-Harris/

quote:

Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew.

:(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Science Channel reran a great documentary series the other day, Moon Machines. About the engineers of Apollo rather than the astronauts. Those guys are awesome. One dude even has an eye-patch.

Plus gorgeous HD.

DVD is cheap on Amazon too:
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Machines-George-Phelps/dp/B0026IQTR2

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I want to know who was the retard who put Tory over a loving window? That could have permanently disabled him.
Considering they had a camera inside shooting through the window, probably some smart guy who though it would be an awesome shot.

It did seem like the people who went later fell away from the wall as well as down. Maybe they changed the rig?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

They used to focus on the build and testing of these things. Now it's just "Okay we have this contraption..." and then 45 minutes of teasers.
It turns out that it's easier to just hire a crash testing company than to waste a couple of cars getting your home built rig to work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Also something I was wondering, a while back (like a year or two) they made a big point about doing a complete redesign of Buster however it seems like they've moved back to just a regular crash test dummy in recent episodes.

I liked how they made the one with wooden bones to be more realistic and they would just snap in any kind of impact.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was surprised to see they are showing 5-year-old Deadliest Catch in syndication. My dad with no cable is really into it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think RFID stuff was another vetoed one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it would be hard to make interesting. Double-blind listening tests aren't exactly riveting. I guess they could demo the whole concept of double-blind on the audience.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was amazed by how crappy the CGI interview backgrounds were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PopeOnARope posted:

Between this poo poo and the fact that build segments / science portions are actually gone from the show, I wonder how long it'll be before Spike picks this up.
There's always Brainiac if you want really dumbed down Mythbusters.

• Locked thread