Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

BlockStacker posted:

To people who have seen both shows: How does Man vs. Wild stack up against Survivorman?

My take on it (as a fan of both shows) is that they're similar in a lot of ways, but they're really about different things.

In Man vs. Wild, Bear mostly tends to focus on what to do if you get lost or stranded, and how to survive on your way back to civilization. You'll notice that in his show, he tends to be on the move a lot, always pointing out that you need to find a stream or river which you can follow downstream, as they usually lead to some sort of civilized area (except in Africa; there you have to follow water upstream). With a few exceptions, he generally follows this rule for each show.

Les in Survivorman tends to be more about just demonstrating the different ways you can survive in the wilds. From the episodes I've seen, he doesn't tend to try and find ways to get out (indeed, he knows that at the end of the week, he will be getting picked up), so his goal seems to be more to show how to survive in one area, and roam around for food and shelter, moving on only when needed.

I'm sure part of the main reason for this difference is like everyone said, Bear travels with a camera crew, while Les is his camera crew. So it's a bit easier for Bear to be constantly moving, while Les understandably just wants to get settled in and rest after lugging his 55+ lbs. of camera gear around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Robot Relations posted:

That's probably true. Jamie seems like he'd be a real humorless rear end in a top hat to work with or for and of the few times he's laughed at Adam's jokes or actions, none of them sounded genuine in the least.
I remember reading a couple of interviews somewhere where Adam said that Jamie gave him his first job in the industry, and was the one who recommended they hire Adam for Mythbusters; something to the effect that Jamie was to initially be the host, but he sagely noted that Adam was a much more dynamic (and therefore television-friendly) personality than he was. I'm sure that doesn't mean they're drinking buddies, but I can't imagine they'd have done the show this long if they disliked each other.

I also don't think Jamie can be too bad to work for; I read something (an interview? her blog? don't recall) with Scottie (she of the tattoos), where she said she loved working with everyone on the show, and loved working at M5, and only quit because the producers began to treat her less like an artist and more like a general mechanic.

Heck, if nothing else, the fact that Jamie employed Kari to begin with shows the man has class and taste. :cool:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Robot Relations posted:

Also, the one assistant (Christine, was it? The one who got burned by the exploding Jawbreaker) seemed to catch a lot of poo poo from Jamie for no real reason. On more than one occasion, she'd mismeasure something or accidentally break a gear or a wheel and Jamie would just berate her almost to the point of cruelty. I'm sure the man knows his poo poo and is probably a font of knowledge about special effects and physics, but I wouldn't want to work with him.

You do make a good point, now that you mention Christine. I remember the episode where they were showing the "lost footage" and Jamie and the Aussie producer were giving her crap over not wanting to do the bit where they slid down the wire from the top of a building while holding the piece of plywood or whatever (for the myth about the worker gliding with a piece of plywood). She was really upset and Adam was trying to be a bit more comforting, but as I recall both Jamie and the producer were kind of like "just do it and get it over with".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

LordOfThePants posted:

See, a lot of that could be hidden in the details.

For example, talking about him staying in fancy resorts while on location. Maybe they got there a few days early and checked into a hotel before he parachuted/whatever into the wild? Someone could say he spent a night in a hotel, when in fact that was a few days before the "official" survival time.

Take the raft thing. Maybe he asked the people if it could be done and to check it out before he went on the trip. Some people tried it and assembled it, then Bear had to do it himself. It doesn't say if the he re-used their materials or had to find them himself.

The horse thing is sort of lovely, there's no real way to explain that.

I'm not surprised if Bear/the crew get help when their health/life is in danger - Bear himself said that the only way someone would intervene is in that case, so I fully expect it.

I fully hope to see Bear show up on some comedy program spoofing this report (and himself), with scenes showing him in a humid jungle or forest doing whatever it is he does, and as soon as someone yells "cut" he gets all bitchy and walks over to a typical pampered star's trailer that is literally within spitting distance, complete with entourage, special effects crew (operating a bear or snake or whatever) makeup person (carefully applying mud and dirt) and a fawning director.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

IRQ posted:

Man vs Wild: Mall of America.

Throw zombies in there and I'm sold.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

haveblue posted:

I'd like to hear what he thought of Survivorman specifically.

At a guess, I think he's referring to Survivorman's Sonoran desert episode here:

quote:

Unfortunately for one of the hosts, the show I watched was filmed in Arizona’s Sonoran desert. I lasted 10 minutes before I changed the channel due to inaccuracies and poor desert survival priorities.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the :iceburn: directed at what I'm guessing is Man vs. Wild:

quote:

For the other popular show, I lasted even less time as the programming was simply dangerous to the viewer if taken seriously.

I appreciate that in the article linked & quoted, Cody at least admits flat-out that segments of survival-type shows (including Dual Survival) are often faked, set up in advance, and/or crafted in post-production. Nothing we didn't know already, of course, but it's still nice to hear someone be honest about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Martytoof posted:

Hell, I think I might have liked Scottie more.

Personally I felt the show lost a lot of charm when Scottie left. Plus I kind of miss the "old days" when the cast all sort of interacted together on each others' projects. From the few episodes I've seen in recent years, it seems like it's "Adam and Jamie segment/Build Team segment/repeat ad infinitum", which makes me wonder why they don't just spin the Build Team off into their own show or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Garbo posted:

I really don't like the build team much at all. Every time they're on I just want to switch to something, anything, other than Mythbusters. Some of that is surely on Kari but I really don't think she holds even a majority of the blame. The team has none of the interaction or charm that A&J have and nothing different to offer to make up for it. Hopefully this season will be better, though.

That's how I feel. In the older episodes it was more like "here's Goofus and Grumpy running around doing crazy stuff with the hot girl, the tomboy and the guy who gets hurt a lot." I kind of enjoyed that team dynamic. :v:

• Locked thread