Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

BlueArmyMan posted:

Brian Unger has that gig locked down thank you very much :colbert:

Brian Unger is painfully boring to watch, he has absolutely no personality. I love How It's Made but I can't stand to watch Some Assembly Required because it's somehow more boring to watch than a disembodied voice and elevator music.

Like in the episode where he made cheese, I've already seen Mike Rowe doing this and make it genuinely entertaining, Unger just asked lame interview style questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Yeah the ninja guy was pretty ridiculous. Whenever they have some kind of martial arts expert or ninja on these sorts of shows it's always some middle aged white guy, are there no actual japanese people that still practice this stuff anymore?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

ToastyPotato posted:

Well weren't ninjas just farmer mercenaries? What was there to practice besides the basics of being an assassin? I always assumed it was modern, probably western, cultures that turned the nearly mythical stories of the exploits of some assassins in Japan into an actual martial art.

I really have no idea, I always just thought they were just dudes with their own martial arts style that emphasized speed and stealth. I'm sure wikipedia would just love to tell us some amazing stories that never actually happened. Who knows, who cares.

Agreeing that Time Warp is pretty sweet but they do need more and varied high speed caps. An episode dedicated to olympic track & field events would be amazing.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Les Stroud is king now and forever, survivorman is infinitely more entertaining than man vs wild will ever be.

Next mythbusters they're doing idioms so get ready for another retarded filler episode, they're doing such amazing things as "hit the ground running."

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I wish, the tiny clip I saw in the commercial had tory strung up in a harness running in mid air then they just drop him on the ground.

Sooo

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

IRQ posted:

What isn't? I completely understand why Jamie always looks half a second away from decking him.

Probably because Jaime is borderline spergin

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Same show except they actually try to build and create poo poo instead of "well what happens when we put rockets on a car like the mythbusters did on their very first episode!"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Kinda funny that he gets hurt while actually doing stuff in the wild that doesn't involved intentionally doing retarded and dangerous poo poo for cameras.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It's great that they're trying to incorporate more boats into the show but the ones they add are really boring to watch and you don't give half a poo poo about them ever.

Except the Hungarian.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

LegoMan posted:

Take that back. The North American had the pluckiest little crew out there and I really liked Sten.

Yeah right that was the worst part of last season.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Selling out rules I would sell out in a split second.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Teek posted:

Tonights Mythbusters was pretty good.

Yeah I think it was the first legitimately interesting/good episode in a pretty long time.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
One thing that was weird was when the CM went in to unload they showed one of their unloads from earlier in the season when they had no mohawks it completely threw me off.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Fire Storm posted:

I have to wonder why these ship owners don't have a massive inspection of their ship during the off season and NOT just as the season starts, ESPECIALLY the Cornelia Marie. I think Phil has spent a quarter mil on repairs since this show started, and that's just what was shown on camera.

Yeah they always seem to show up in Dutch Harbor like a day before they have to leave port. The editing doesn't do these dudes justice but drat guys try messing with your boats even a week earlier.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
They should bring back the Farwest Leader on Deadliest Catch, that was one of my favorite boats with the skinny captain dude and his wife.

Two of the best old boats were the ones that had the captains wives along to cook.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

ToastyPotato posted:

So how long ago was the prison escape segment filmed because Kari didn't seem pregnant at all, and they had old Buster, while Adam and Jamie were using cheap, new Buster.

A pretty good gauge for mythbusters timelines is to look at how fat and dumpy adam has let himself get.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I actually like the new boat it's about time they added one with a captain that wasn't a total bore to listen to talk.

Something that has always bothered me with the cornelia marie is it's whole deck system seems crazy primitive compared to the other boats. The crab are dumped into a knee level trough thing and then you get to drag all the crab around in totes accross the deck? I know they're one of the biggest boats and it would be harder to come up with a decent delivery system for all the different tanks like the northwestern and its conveyor belts but jesus christ.

And apparently this seasons after the catch is done with Ben Bailey from cash cab instead of Mike Rowe which is completely different and bizarre.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Tomcat1944 posted:

Why the hell didn't they put the tarp up before they left port?!

Who knows. I had visions of the tarp turning into a giant sail and helping capsize his boat.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

MrDingleDangle posted:

yeah i love deadliest catch, but have only been able to sit through 1 or 2 after the catch episodes

Pretty much the same here, it's just unbearably boring and stupid.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Well, it would be awesome if Billy Mays III started doing commercials. When they were re-doing the zorbeez commercial there was a little clip of THE THIRD starting the pitch as an offhand joke thing and sounded pretty much identical to his dad.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

chazburgr posted:

I'm kind of glad to see there was that solidarity among pitchmen in the business. It didnt seem like anyone had any bad words about Billy Mays, Jr and they all respected him and knew he was the best. But yeah, seeing Chef Tony was a mindfuck. I didn't know he was still around. After Billy Mays hit the scene and made it big, no one dared to make an infomerical......except for that poo poo Magic Bullet cast.

First thing I saw when I turned on my tv this morning was a magic bullet infomercial on discovery channel of all places.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Sig has always been the best captain and the Northwestern the best boat.

Keith has always been a terrible person in every way and the Wizard is worse than the North American, which is literally impossible but somehow manages to pull it off.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

DurosKlav posted:

Ya it was mentioned on the episode they aired monday night about the filming of this season. Wasnt the Captain of the chase boat the captain of one of the original boats in the first season? He looked really familiar.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

IRQ posted:

It looks almost as bad when they tried to do a lobster fishing show. It was totally lol. The boats had NO rear structure at all because the gulf of mexico is that loving placid. I think it lasted 1 or 2 seasons tops because it was very, very boring.

Yeah the only danger was from getting your feet tangled up in the lines of like 10 tiny lobster cages.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Double bump postin' because apparently Billy Mays did cocaine. Is anyone actually surprised?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/florida.mays.cocaine/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

DurosKlav posted:

Sweet a new episode of Dirty Jobs, good thing my DVR got it or I would have never of known.

Yeah supposedly new mythbusters tomorrow too.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Last nights mythbusters was half borefest half interesting physics stuff. I wish the build team didn't exist, I just want to watch an hour of Adam and Jaime doing things, anything really.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mike McC posted:

I liked the build team better when Scottie was there to sort of balance the hyper geekiness of Tory and Kari. When Scottie left and Grant was brought in, he added to that hyper geekiness, and it created a situation where it could become overwhelming. It also doesn't help that they always act so overawed when something that is supposed to go boom goes boom.

Scottie, my one true tv love.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Looks like a pretty mediocre episode of mythbusters tonight.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Dirty Jobs is still the best show on discovery regardless that Rowe hardly ever gets dirty anymore. He's just so good at getting away with being kind of a dick to half the people he works with.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I haven't seen a preview or anything yet but Mythbusters could be pretty good tonight based on the general description verizon is giving me. Adam and Jaime are doing kitchen myths and the build team are doing some kind of cheese cannon myth maybe? Build team can go to hell forever without Scotty.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

hall n oates mom posted:

I think the build team gets a bad rap for no particular reason, they're jsut average photogenic nerds with advanced engineering degrees and experience. They act pretty drat natural aside from the infrequent awkward skit.

I dunno, I like the old formula of a solid 43 minutes of Adam and Jaime just tooling around.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Holy poo poo dirty jobs was funny as hell tonight when Mike was trying to talk to the asian guy who didn't really speak english. Mike's absolute confusion was the best.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm pretty sure they showed grant throw up in the drinking myth episode from 3 weeks ago or so didn't they? It wasn't like a spray of chunks or anything but still.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mister Kingdom posted:

How they've managed to get six episodes out of Survivorman Bigfoot is beyond me. My respect for Les has dropped.

I caught an episode of this, so my experience is based only on the one. He treats it super skeptically and often comes up with real reasons why the loons he's going out with think they see bigfoot. He's not going out on his own because he thinks he's gonna find it. The impression I get is Discovery is paying him to show how silly these people looking for bigfoot are.

Though like you said, six episodes. Les probably likes money like the rest of us, it turns out.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
If he actually believes that's cool I guess, but his tone when talking about the believers made it sound otherwise.

Either way Les would have to be into some way gnarlier poo poo for me to lose respect for him, dude is hard as gently caress.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I wanna meet the person who hangs up a $40 picture of Edgar Hansen in their house. Then just kinda look at it with them while drinking some coffee I guess.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I fukken love Freddy so much.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
That coke head on the Time Bandit is loving insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I get the feeling that all those holes and horseshit the Time Bandit dealt with wouldn't have been an issue if Scotty were still deck boss there. Andy was so terrified of his nephew wanting in on the captaining that they fired their only details oriented guy.

• Locked thread