Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SpecialF posted:

Quoting Wikipedia about Jamie Hyneman: Hyneman earned a degree in Russian language and literature. A variety of careers fills his résumé, including scuba diver, wilderness survival expert, boat captain, linguist, pet shop owner, animal wrangler, machinist, concrete inspector, and chef.
A fair bit of that is backed up by the m5 website.

Somehow, I can picture him easily doing all of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

headtrip posted:

After the Catch kind of weirds me out a little because the narrator's hubris is creepy as poo poo when he's actually on camera instead of just his voice. It makes him seem a lot more smarmy, or something. With that said, I still enjoy the show but I just get the feeling like the guy doesn't belong at the table.

I haven't seen the show yet but I am assuming that Mike Rowe is probably bringing his Dirty Jobs self to the table.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Today they gave the entire run of a show that I can only guess was the proto-form of Deadliest Catch. I think it was called America's Deadliest Season: Crab Fishermen, or just Crab Fishermen. I remembered watching a series on Lobster Fishermen between seasons of Deadliest Catch, but I had no idea that there was a Crab Fisherman show on Discovery before they ran Deadliest Catch. The funny thing about the show was, that besides the crab count, and the several boats, the general format of the show was much the same, just with a different host (who I am pretty sure also did the lobster one.) The show took place in 2004, which was one year before DC started right? I didn't see any familiar boats or faces in the few episodes I watched though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I signed up to get robbed on TV. I got robbed on TV! ARGH! :hurr:
I still watched the show just to see him tear through people's stuff. But so much of the show is fake that it gets hard to watch. The one where he robbed the Frat house was funny though.

I don't like How it's made. I don't know why, but it doesn't capture the wonder and awe the the Mr. Rogers/Sesame Street segments did. I think it is the narrator combined with the music. Also, I wish the episodes were arranged thematically. Like string instruments, tools, wind instruments, drinks, snacks, etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

It's the season finale of Deadliest Catch.. I wanna see if the Time Bandit makes it in to offload before the ice crushes their boat. They played about a 1-second clip at the end of last weeks show with someone (Captain John Hillstrand) yelling 'GET YOUR SURVIVAL SUITS ON!'.

We know at least he survived since he's on 'Deadliest Bar' or whatever that talkshow is afterwards (no hate here for 'deadliest bar' :)).

That's why I didn't appreciate that show coming on before the season was over. Not that I am morbid or anything, but if anything tragic DID happen, the fact that certain people are there and talking fine and dandy kind of ruins the outcome of things. That's why I haven't watch it yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

Sorry to spoil it for you then. :(

The other thing that really annoys me is when they show the 'Next week!' right during the last commercial break with 7 minutes left to go or something.

Next week; see the cornelia marie pull in huge pots of crab!
<crew>: WOOOOO YEAH RED GOLD BABY!
Now, back to our show..

<crew>: This <beep> sucks, we are totally off the crab!
Announcer: Will the Cornelia Marie's crew mutiny and keelhaul Phil? Will Phil find crab? Find out next week!

Thanks, Discovery, who the hell plans this crap? :rolleyes:

The same people who do the coming up next clips on Mythbusters. You know where they almost show you the entire rest of the show before the commercial break. Discovery has trained me to hit fast forward as soon as I hear coming up. Stupid spoilery clips! :argh: Why you make me gotta hit you baby?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Since he's his own camera crew, my guess is that he's too busy actually killing something to set up a good shot.

Also, as already mentioned, he doesn't like killing things as it is, so it shouldn't surprise you that he doesn't feel like highlighting it when he does.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wish they would repeat previous seasons of the show dammit! I want to see the first season. I just found out that it was the last season that was done "derby" style where basically it was a free for all race to get crab, as opposed to the quota system that debuted with season 2, when I first started watching.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Holly poo poo dude, these are awesome thanks for sharing.

Also for any one that watched the season final, I loved the greenhorn on Sigs ship, that kid went above and beyond to get accepted by the crew and sure as hell put a lot more out then most of the greenhorns you see on there. He really deserved the jacket he earned. I was cheering for the little dude.

But will he be back on the Northwestern next season?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Robot Relations posted:

If you watch, you can tell the "interns" really didn't want to do it and Kari looked like she was going to cry when he jumped back and just said deadpan "you guys did hook up the cattle fence shocker, didn't you?"

Actually Tori seemed really to dread what was coming the whole time, while Kari tried to keep her TV face on the whole time by constantly talking. I hadn't seen the episode in a very long time, but after becoming more familiar with the build team since then, it is pretty clear how horrible Tori was at showing he was nervous during that "prank."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheOneVader posted:

I've got a question about the Deadliest Catch on DVD. I was looking at Season 1 and it said it was presented in full frame 1.33:1, but I can't remember if it said whether or not it was original aspect ratio. My question is, was season 1 shot in 1.33:1, or is the DVD formatted to it? Perhaps it's just non-anamorphic? I know season 2 and 3 were shot in 1.77:1 from watching on Discovery (can't remember if season 1 was), and the Behind the Scenes show said that at least season 3 used high definition cameras.

I believe it was shot full frame because when they showed clips of that Season on After The Catch, they look out of proportion because they were being stretched to fit the widescreen format of that show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Unhealthy Caller is so uncomfortable that it's awesome.

I actually stopped listening halfway through. Too much cringiness for me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also, after Dirty Jobs, they are airing the behind the scenes show for Deadliest Catch, in case anyone is interested. :)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah a lot of people are playing with fireworks in my neighborhood already.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Larry King... is really.. :psyduck:
He cuts them off before they finish their answers!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I really love the Mythbusters but the last thing Natural Selection and Evolution needs is them trying to prove it the same way they carry out other segments. Unless this is a special event where they have nothing but prominent scientists handling the experiments, this could be more hurtful than helpful.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheOneVader posted:

Woah, what? This season's only 3 episodes long? What the gently caress kind of season is that?

They just broke the season into multiple pieces. Like they've been doing with Mythbusters. I don't know why they do it, especially to shows that are probably their most popular.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My only guess is that these shows, while containing normal season lengths, are actually not being filmed like shows typically are filmed. That is, they only film a few episodes here or there. I don't know. I mean on Larry King Mike Rowe was talking about how he was about to head to Alaska to do an episode over there and I could see his schedule being all over the place with all the voice over work he does. And the Mythbusters probably still do work on commercials/movies/TV when they aren't busting myths. The thing with Mythbusters is that they definitely do seem to hold onto their episodes, because there have been times when there seemed to be overlap between episodes that were shown months apart.

It is just really annoying because it wasn't like this for the first couple of seasons of both shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I tried watching the second or third episode but just couldn't get into it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

smackfu posted:

Is "Build It Bigger" really a new series? I could swear I've seen a few of those episodes scattered around randomly.

I had the exact same thought. I was watching a show with the same host, talking about building one of the buildings featured in the commercial, when the commercial itself came on. :psyduck:
Perhaps this show is only about finished structures, where the previous one always seemed to be about works in progress?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So, no new Mythbusters special this year? :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well there is that new show "Lobster Wars" or something that is coming out soon. I thought there already was a Lobster equivalent to Deadliest Catch, with a much less cheesy name, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Did the "crew hanging around the blueprint table talking about the show" bit on Mythbusters seem really, really scripted to anyone else? The flow of dialogue felt incredibly stale and forced to me. If it was scripted before, it sure didn't feel like it :\

It was definitely very forced this time around, but had always seemed scripted in the past, at least to me. Though I will admit that recent episodes has seen the Mythbusters really, REALLY, just not giving a poo poo about their delivery.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Holy poo poo. Is there a way to find out if your cable carrier does this? This might explain certain missing shows for me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

They're not showing Survivorman on Discovery now because Bear was "exposed as a phoney" - they used to air edited down, 30 minute episodes of Survivorman on Discovery (before Man vs. Wild was even on the network) and they were popular enough they brought over the 1 hour versions from Season 1 and 2.

There's no new episode of Man vs. Wild because it's between seasons right now. Discovery airs their shows on a weird schedule so they have new episodes all throughout the year.

In awesome hard to chew bursts of three episodes at a time, with a cool 2-3 month break to wash it all down!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just wished they had had someone in top shape try to climb the wall instead of Adam, simply because everyone in the WORLD knew he couldn't do it. Overall, though, it was a good ep.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I have my DVR set to copy this show but I am putting off watching it because I don't know if I can handle any soul crushingly :smith: moments right now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bohemienne posted:

That was only 100, seriously? I thought Mythbusters had been around way longer than Dirty Jobs.

It wasn't the 150th episode. It was the 150th Dirty Job, if I recall correctly.

That said, I'll be surprised if MB ever do anything terribly special. Their new eps seem to get played on a completely random schedule. And they don't have anywhere near the promotion that Dirty Jobs gets. I mean, Rowe loving deserves every bit of success, but I feel kind of bad for Mythbusters sometimes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

For the longest time, before DJ became anything noteworthy, MythBusters was 95% of the Discovery daily TV schedule. This is just what Discovery does: when something becomes popular, they flood the channel with it.

I think when MythBusters hits a milestone, they'll be rewarded with a special show. It's just Mike Rowe's time to be in the spotlight.

Yeah but he is everywhere. And I've seen more mention and ads for DJ than I have ever seen for Mythbusters (Subway and bus ads like crazy!)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I watched Smash Labs and feel that it is nothing but a third-rate Mythbusters where instead of investigating established myths, they go, "Hey I wonder if we could ____ an ______ with _______." If the "scientific testing" on Mythbusters ever made you cringe, then do not watch this show. Perhaps it will get better later, but I don't know. The whole cast seems comprised of MB Build Team wannabes, with nobody there who really seems to know anything about anything.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

The thing I don't like about these martial arts type shows like Human Weapon and whatever this new one is is that they try to make it seem more exotic by actually traveling to the homeland of the art and then finding someone who claims to be a master, and then having some bullshit where the hosts actually have to train and fight.

But I don't give a poo poo about the host's plight. I just want to see the art in action. Why don't they just give me a show where I can watch some guys show some techniques, the reason those techniques work, and maybe talk about the history and tournament scene of their art. Being in Japan while this happens and watching some douchebag train is irrelevant to me.

The biggest problem with the fight show is similar to the problem Last One Standing had, but made ten times worse. They have 5 days to learn the thing they are learning. 5 days is not enough time to competently learn a goddamn sport. Let alone a foreign one. They spend half their time doing worthless training that is ultimately meaningless because 5 days is not enough to train whatever muscles it is you need to do whatever it is you need to do. The first episode Fight Quest was a mess because of this. Last One Standing scooted by because they were always in some remote place learning some weird sport most of us had probably never heard of. And most of the time it was something basic like "run with this poo poo on your back. Hit him with this sick, try to knock him down, or row this canoe faster than the other guy." Not "hay guys time to learn kung fuErrmm, Chinese Kickboxing in less than a week. You will have to fight someone in an exhibition, have fun! :v:" Then the two stars of the show, who are already fighters in mixed martial arts, learn very little, admit as much, and let the audience promptly know that they will just go ahead and do whatever comes natural to them in the ring. Thanks for wasting my time I guess?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I know it is not a DC show, but Monster Quest, while interesting, certainly doesn't seem to be the type of thing I would expect to see in its time slot. It seems like a continuation of Histories Mysteries, which was a cool series, but not the type of show I'd expect to see so much advertising for.

Is this "Battle 360" show what I think it is? (Dogfights only focusing on multiple aspects of a battle instead of just planes.)

Also, what happened to "Shootout!"? :(

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 5, 2008

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm watching an episode of it now devoted to Stalin's plans for an ape-man army made of human/orangutan hybrids, complete with hilarious CG animated footage of marching uniformed apes. It ends with the narrator saying there's no truth to the claim that Stalin wanted to make an ape-man army, so they wasted a whole episode of their show discussing something that they know is a total fabrication. I hate when educational channels waste their resources on supernatural nonsense, but this is literally a show about nothing. Maybe next they'll do a show about John Titor.

I liked History's Mysteries because I learned something about history, but this show is an even bigger embarassment than those Bible code specials.

Ah yeah, that was my favorite part about the show. They basically waited until the very end to say, "well it turns out that everything we discussed in the past hour was pointless because the scientist was only just trying to prove evolution and discredit the church and neither he nor Stalin ever wanted to make an ape man army. Oh and the DNA test on the supposed hybrid man we've dragged rear end on didn't work out either and we aren't going to try again! :v:"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They need to bring Wild Discovery back. I still remember the theme! Do-do-DO! Wiild. I watched the poo poo out of that show as a kid. Also bring back Connections, even though that was more a TLC thing I suppose, and that Arthur C. Clarke show about weird stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What the need to do is replace who ever does the music for that show. If they did that, the editing would follow suit. Haven't heard the new voice yet so it is hard to say one way or another what to do about it. All I know is that the show is an interesting concept that bores the HELL out of me for some reason. Modern Marvels very often does segments in their shows very similar to How it's Made and they do it in a much more interesting way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Let's recap the truckbed spray episode:

They blow up a truck bed with the spray with the stuff on it and determine it can withstand a blast. So they blow up a brick wall with the stuff on it and it doesn't really work. They do it two more times, but unlike MB, where repetitious scale tests are usually shown in light montage to prevent monotony, they show us all three with their hilariously obvious results. (They still crumble.)

At this point, it becomes evident that the show doesn't have enough content to fill the hour, so instead of finding another topic entirely, they decide to OBSESS over the idea of preventing the windows from shattering... by using the spray stuff. They are trying to prevent glass... from breaking, due to A BOMB GOING OFF, using TRUCK BED SPRAY, that couldn't prevent CEMENT BRICKS FROM CRUMBLING WHEN IT WAS DIRECTLY APPLIED. They fill up a huge amount of time on these horrible devices that no sane person would put on any window, and what do you know they don't really work! Welp, better use one in the full test.

Full test? We're going to blow up a building coated in the stuff! Except, we don't have time to build a real building, so four oversized versions of the cement block walls from earlier will have to do! Yeah we know it barely worked on the scale test and that four cement walls with a half rear end roof isn't really a "building "but hey, we're blowing poo poo up right guys?!

Now for the test. The point of this episode is to determine whether this spray can prevent damage to a building from an explosive device. On top of that, we've added window guards made of the stuff to prevent deadly glass shards. To test this hypothesis we have opted not to included any way of measuring the damage after the bomb goes off. Additionally, the bomb will be made highly direction for the utmost unrealism.

KABLAM!

Welp, looks like the wall crumbled a bit so this half assed structure has not been deemed safe enough to go in! We see glass on the inside so the window guards failed like we all knew they would but we didn't include anyway to measure the deadliness of flying debris and glass on our human analogue so it doesn't matter anyway! Gnight folks! :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

Why does every fighting show have running as training? I want to see drills specific to the game or art. Running will help you in any physical endeavor. These participants are athletes. They can already loving run. Tell the people they are training with to stop making them run, or at least don't show that part.

I wouldn't mind seeing them run if they didn't have less than one week to magically prepare their bodies for the new sport. Remember the Chinese kickboxing episode? Where one of the trainers made one of the guys do some kind of exercise to improve leg strength? What he's going to strengthen his legs in LESS THAN FIVE DAYS? What's the point? The show is totally and utterly pointless.

Man vs. Wild owned up to the fact that most of their scenarios were completely set up and that Bear had the aid of others at pretty much all times and they slightly changed the format of the show as result of being called on this. The show is better for it too. It seems more fun now that its just Bear dicking around in the wild doing crazy poo poo trying to see what craziness he can get away with without getting hurt or sick.

On a different note, why the HELL is The History Channel advertising Monster Quest as a super scary show that is frightening the nation (or something like that?) There is nothing remotely scary about the show, and it doesn't even try to be. :psyduck: That's akin to advertising Dirty Jobs as being the most intense, action-pack drama on television.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm thinking Smash Lab will be canceled shortly. Think about it for a second. Adam never fails to remind us how vocal MB fans are in their criticisms of the shows experiments. Clearly they are marketing Smash Lab to the same audience who will, hopefully, never stand for this level of flat out stupidity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, her haircut was strange when she had it pinned up haphazardly but she's often had wacky dye jobs and I thought it was a good length when she wore it normally.

They're pretty far from myths but I must admit the craft behind their lead balloon was kind of neat. Watching it inflate was kind of suspenseful and seeing it carrying the tiny basket was a nice conclusion. The other myth was trash though despite explosives.

This is probably my last episode of Smash Lab, but I'm sort of miffed that they had all the money to put together that air cannon when the other show has to cannibalize legendary devices like the Sharammer to make each new air cannon they need.

I'm curious how boarding up a mobile home and wrapping in it burlap would do. Also, I'm more than a little pissed that they didn't at least provide a build material cost at the end of the show. If this is some sort of "solution", why wouldn't they at least talk about the practicality of it?

Ah, who cares.

When has this show ever been about being practical? Remember the super clumsy, ugly, window board/guard things they invented that pretty much defeat the purpose of a WINDOW?

Shockwave would have been right at home on TLC several years ago. Seeing as some of the footage appeared on a TLC show or two back then. Among other "incredible things caught on film!" type shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Smash Lab needs to be split into two shows.

The first show, Smash Lab, would focus purely on destruction. Think of a big budget "Will it Blend?" Things get blown up, crushed, crashed and ripped to shreds.

The second show has a similar premise to what Smash Lab claims it wants to do, but it actually attempts to act on it. You have TWO hosts, both with some background in science and/or engineering, who travel the country to meet experts who are attempting to create new technologies to make the world a better/safer place. The show is topped off with segments where these new ideas and inventions are put to the test. Viewer's Choice episodes have people submitting ideas to the team and has the team attempting to see if they will work.

• Locked thread