Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
How Do They Do It? is a poor man's How it's Made, even if it has a higher budget and travels farther to do its segments. :colbert:

Maybe part of the reason I like it so much is that it's often about local companies. When they showed how manholes are produced, one of the examples was for the town of Dorval, which is close by. :cool:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Pretty much everything on discovery channel is worth watching. My tivo is filled with Mythbusters, It Takes a Thief, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, and more.

I can't stand that retarded "Criss Angel Mindfreak" show or "A Haunting". I do enjoy "Mayday", though. :)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

I thought that Mindfreak show was on A&E?

The Discovery Channel runs it here on Saturdays in Canada. v:shobon:v

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Don't forget that he's an expert marksman when armed with a painball gun.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

smackfu posted:

This show could be so good with a good host. An American Idol reject is not it.

I think it's a Quebec show, so we get a dubbed version. "Made in America" on the Travel Channel is a little better, except it's a bit rah-rah USA.

The entire show is done in a voice-over (except for the first season which was hosted by Mark Tewksbury), so it's not like people are missing out on something by watching it in english.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Unhealthy Caller is so uncomfortable that it's awesome.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Faikon posted:

Shark Week is the bane of the discovery channel. The same shows are shown every year, and they were never interesting to me in the first place.

Especially since so many of them have been produced independently from one another that their content overlaps.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

McGravin posted:

Recharging a lead-acid battery with wine? Maybe. Definitely interesting to see. Plugging a radio into a cactus and using it to triangulate a missile? I don't think so. It's a treasure trove!

Whether they confirm it or not, I'll always believe that you could use a weighted handkerchief and a hollow ski pole to shoot out a distress signal when caught in an avalanche.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Whatever happened to those shows where teams would have to design and construct machines to complete a specific task with the crap lying around in a junk yard? That was fun. :(

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

They've changed VA people more than once. The first season had Mark Tewksbury (as well as introducing the segments in front of the camera). For a couple seasons, the voice-over was done by the weather person at the local CTV station here.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Hey, at least you guys don't have Criss Angel :rock: MINDFREAK :rock: on Discovery in the US.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

I find the debate around it really interesting because it shows just how much of our own pre-conceived notions we bring into any situation. Despite the question being worded very specifically most people read it incorrectly at first because it is outside what we would usually experience.

Exam questions try to be as sneaky as possible. Those specifics just cloud the situation. :raise:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah, but based on the Israeli special I saw last night, he has this weird inflection he puts in everything he says. It sounds like he's winding up to gently caress whatever weapon he's talking about.

I like the gear, but he's creeping me out.

In the episodes I've seen, he sounds like he's getting off on the script he's narrating.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Oneiros posted:

Well, it's sort of odd to think about the plane being pressurized (though technically it is). A better way to put it perhaps is that the interior of the plane is never allowed to depressurize to the point where it would be in equilibrium with the exterior at cruising altitude. Sea-level air pressure (1 atmo) is not maintained because of the stress that would cause to the hull, but a difference of approximately +6-7 psi over the exterior is maintained at cruising altitude.

The ill effects are actually due to going from 1 atmo to whatever lower pressure the airline maintains during flight.

IRQ posted:

Well with a hole that big at any real speed the plane would just tear apart anyway.

There was an episode of Mayday that touched on this. Aloha Flight 243 was a commuter flight between two Hawaiian islands. The trip was only about 30 minutes long, so the plane flying it could take many trips a day. By the time of its explosive decompression, it had done over 89 thousand trips, and the cumulative stress from the pressure changes were part of what caused an 18-foot long chunk of the fuselage to break away.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

He also did horses. I think that was the first episode I ever saw, too.

I remember that one- when they finally got to the point where he tried inseminating the filly, they blurred out the entire back end of the horse. All the preview clips of the procedure they'd been airing up to that point showed everything, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The networks are a bit less stuffy in Canada (I saw a comic say 'lovely' on the CBC in the 8:30 timeslot today) but we still wouldn't have been blessed with Trailer Park Boys if it wasn't for specialty cable.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Well what if Mike actually went TO the factories and narrated it in person :haw:

How It's Made is a Montreal production and you had best not forget it. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

-Atom- posted:

I'll never understand why Adam and Jamie, and then Tori, Grant and Kari have to pretend like they just came up with the idea of what myth they'll be doing at the beginning of the show. They are all horrible actors and it just never made sense to me.

I was watching a rerun recently where they were doing to paper-folding myth, which was pretty blatant in the "we're already filmed the myth segment we're about to introduce" department.

Kari's hair switched from one style during the intro the something completely different during the myth and then back when they were doing the recap.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

They had a ninja on that Sports Fight Science show punching their test dummy and the guy was able to put some weird torque on the ribcage that made the punch way more effective than you'd think.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Jedi posted:

Everyone knows that it's wrong to mindlessly slaughter animals for entertainment. But they were on a scientific expedition and it was the reason they were there. I could've done without the PETA-don't-sue-us bullshit every 5 minutes.

It's funny that they're so worried about the Shark but had no problem showing Mike rip off the legs from live crab.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Crab legs regenerate! :science:

In this case they didn't have the chance to regrow since their torsos were then dumped in a huge-rear end pressure cooker. :(

edit: on the plus side, I now know that cheap crab paste is mostly comprised of ground up shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

I hate you guys and your non-schizophrenic new episodes. I'm also looking forward to waiting a month for new Deadliest Catch episodes after you get them. Discovery Canada :argh:

Hey, those episodes of Chris Angel: Mindfreak don't come cheap.

• Locked thread