Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

Meanwhile, i was thinking to a girl I know who is completely blind in one eye, and is able to drive fine. Seriously, I think if people trained to drive in those conditions, they would be able to do it rather well.

I have no depth perception and have driven as such for years. I do OK, but it is a handicap. If you've been used to driving with two eyes and full depth perception and you suddenly get that one-eyed night vision goggle stuff thrown at you, it can definitely affect your sense of vision and perception. It's a legitimate point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Tapela posted:

Oh poo poo that was the greenhorn who got into it with the captains brother after he got heckled for putting a picture of his girlfriend on the boat. I remember that season. I guess crab fishing didn't turn out well cause I'm pretty sure he got accepted near the end of the haul, no wonder he's not been around.

He "quit" during the last season. The season before that Keith offered him a position as a deckhand. Not surprised, this kid was a real douchebag.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So does this mean Murray will be back as temp skipper, or will one of his sons actually start captaining more frequently?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does anyone know anything about when Mythbusters is coming back with new episodes?

Probably not for a while, because they just had a bunch of new episodes in the fall/December.

I'm not quite sure how Deadliest Catch will be without Captain Phil. He and his sons had an interesting relationship play out on the show and not having Dear Ole dad in there is kind of :smith:. Here's to a speedy recovery for Phil and hopefully he'll retire to his home and not put his health at risk anymore. Oh, and not drink/smoke/etc anymore either.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Howe and Howe Tech would be an interesting show if these two brothers didn't act like children (or, if the producers didn't decide to show them acting like children).

The stuff they build looks to be genuinely cool stuff. It's just a complete turn-off to see the infighting and mistakes. If I had a contract with these guys, I might be having second thoughts after watching that show.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Who will catch crab just the way we like them now!? :bender:

Seriously, RIP Captain Phil. The show and the Cornelia Marie won't be the same without him. Maybe he really should have quit after the embolism...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
My heart wept for that poor green Trans Am. My Firebird in the parking lot shed a tear of oil for its busted up brethren. :sigh:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Boxman posted:

What was Johnathan's crack about Keith's brother? Did Keith lose a brother at sea?

He was noting that Monte took a huge beating, broke some ribs, nearly died when they were out tying pots down during a terrible storm last year. That was kind of below the belt, but the Hillstrands always seemed like dicks.

Also, I couldn't watch that "reunion" of the Hillstrands and Russell. It was terrible, both with the Hillstrand's selective memory and Russell's self importance.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey guys I hear there was this thing called NINE ELEVEN and the Blarney Stone was all about NINE ELEVEN have we told you about NINE ELVEN yet!?

:911:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm pretty sure these kinds of open water trades have been done before, but not on the show.

They're REALLY playing this up though, it feels melodramatic.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Kwik posted:

Well, when they play up the whole premise of the show that they're in an unforgiving area where the slightest slip-up can cause horrible death, tossing two people into the Arctic loving Ocean seems like a pretty retarded thing to do.

Yeah, it is pretty retarded, but it's not that it hasn't been done before.

And yeah, I thought the Northwestern had a dinghy. Perhaps it was inaccessible due to gear?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
None of these vetoed ideas hold a candle to the mouse myth that never was.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It looks like Mythbusters was a repeat with some popup video style "facts" provided by Buster in a director's chair.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I can take or leave the Hillstrands, but losing both Phil and Sig for next season is nearly a dealbreaker for me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Perhaps it'll be an episode focused around presidential myths?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey, Sean D. Tucker is on Mythbusters tonight! I know that guy!

(Yes, I took this photograph)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Adam, we know what you're doing with that combover. Just accept that you're losing your hair.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Timby posted:

Both of them spent a long time at Industrial Light & Magic; Tory used to work as a model maker, while Grant (in addition to working on models and animatronics for a poo poo-ton of movies) is one of something like four people authorized to operate R2-D2.

Grant will always be immortalized in my book for this thing here.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Overbite posted:

I think using a mechanical arm to take the candy is over complicating things. Anyone could just grab it from the babby with ease.

The string was a smarter addition.

I hope the kids got free suckers for their trouble. It was actually hard to watch those kids, it made my heart melt seeing them cry. :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

LordOfThePants posted:

It was a Porsche of some sorts, I can't remember which. There was an article in Popular Mechanics about it recently and the car was also at SEMA.

The Porsche 928.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

muscles like this? posted:

I'd really like to see a "behind the scenes" episode of Mythbusters where they take an episode that's already aired and kind of deconstruct it so you see how it actually went without the editing. Because there are times when everything is pretty obviously planned out but they pretend to go back and forth between the workshop and out in the field.

There was already a behind the scenes type of episode that went into bits of that. I think it's on Netflix for streaming in one of the collections.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So Howe and Howe Tech is back, apparently, and it's basically just like last year. Who would give these guys business after seeing this show?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I dunno if I can watch Catch without Captain Phil anymore. :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That is correct. Next week for new busting of myths.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Mythbusters has pretty consistently had a series of fall episodes and spring episodes the past few years, haven't they? April's about the time it should be starting up again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Deadliest Catch was interesting to me because I loved the family dynamics on the Cornelia Marie and the Northwestern. Sig and Phil were two sides to the same coin. These guys were real life characters and, at least through most of the early seasons it just showed up very well.

Now that Phil's gone that dynamic changed a lot and I find it harder to watch the show. He's why I got into it and, oddly enough, will probably be the reason I quit watching it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Deadblow! :black101: We haven't seen him show up on Mythbusters for a while, I think the last time Deadblow showed up was when Jessi was temping for Kari.

Jamie and Adam made an appearance on Battlebots once too, IIRC.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Blendo did appear in BattleBots as well.

quote:

Blendo would later compete in a total of four BattleBots competitions. However, Blendo had little success in BattleBots. A combination of a stronger arena design capable of containing the energy Blendo released, stronger robots able to take multiple hits from Blendo, multiple copycat designs, and Blendo's own tendency to tear itself apart caused it to be defeated in its first match in all four BattleBots events in which it competed.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah, I just meant that the contests it was withdrawn from were Robot Wars, not BattleBots.

Ah, okay.

quote:

Once everyone started trying to actually win and stopped trying to make bizarre/crazy/fun robots it was boring. It's a lot of time and money to put into something that you can lose in about 2 minutes though so I can kind of understand just making a wedge bot built like a tank. It's just not very interesting.

Yeah, sumo tanks really isn't the spirit of BattleBots.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I think it went archives, it's missing from my bookmark list. Usually there's some off-season discussion but it's been strangely quiet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

smg77 posted:

I wish they hadn't changed the quota system after the first or second season. The way it used to work where the season opened and everybody raced around trying to catch as much crab as they could before they got the notice that the season was ending made for way better television.

Well, the show didn't change that, it was done by the fishing board responsible for managing the crab population. They're trying to prevent overfishing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That bit was textbook "How not to handle yourself in a court case." It's hard to feel bad for Elliott given his behavior in the past episodes. I really hope he doesn't come back next year, I'm tired of seeing him and his boat. Cut him and give more time to Sig.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There are still plenty of 727s out there (though none are generally in US passenger aviation). The rules and effects that happen to a 727 still largely apply to modern narrowbody airliners, especially 737s and 757s.

There are still plenty of T-tailed, rear engined jets out there, and most jets are still made out of aluminum. The amount of composite material is significant in jets like the A320 and other widebodies, but it's not like a 787.

In short, Gizmodo doesn't know what they're talking about and can be safely ignored. A 727 is a perfectly fine platform for this kind of experiment.

The special had some sensationalist elements (and I thought they made obvious blunders like not mentioning DB Cooper when referring to the 727's airstairs). I also felt they minimized too much the experts at the NTSB who reconstruct plane accidents. Yes, there's only some things you can see when observing a crash as it happens, but we've learned a hell of a lot from after-the-fact analysis.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 9, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think they mentioned DB Cooper at all in the UK Channel 4 broadcast. It seemed odd when they used "f*****" in the subtitles but didn't alter the guy saying "hosed" in the audio, but I wasn't really thinking about it being shown anywhere else. And the post-crash analysis seemed fairly informative.

Interesting, I wonder how much is different between the US and UK versions.

The US version didn't mention anything about DB Cooper, which is what i was complaining about. I mean, everyone knows about him, Boeing had to specifically modify the 727's airstairs so they wouldn't open in flight after his caper. I'm assuming the guys removed the Cooper vane from this 727, otherwise they couldn't do the jump.

The post-crash analysis was informative, what I was referring to was prior investiagtions that the NTSB has done to investigate accidents. That stuff isn't easy, and while this experiment has taught them some stuff, a lot of it is things we've largely known already. The writers on the show didn't give those guys enough credit for building a body of work.

Watch some Air crash Investigation/Mayday/Air Emergency and you'll get a real feel for how these guys piece together what went down.

BTW, I really don't like the narrator for Curiosity. Guy sounds like he'd rather have his eyelids burned than do narration. Boring as gently caress. I know you can't get Morgan Freeman on every series, but surely someone's better than this guy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Elliot is going on mute this year. Not watching his garbage.

And yeah, Josh is running the Cornelia. I hope for his sake that he keeps his brother far, far away from it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Phil's why I started watching Catch, and his absence has made it more and more difficult to watch.

At this point I'm watching it just for the Hansen crew.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TaurusOxford posted:

Finally caught up to Deadliest Catch episodes. What twilight zone am I in where Elliot is a better person than Junior?

Yeah, Elliot has really turned himself around. It's almost like two different guys when you look back.

It's gonna be weird seeing the northwestern without Jake. Those clips of him when he joined up were shocking. That was only a few years ago and he looks a decade older.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
He was also the alternate for C3PO in the costume when Anthony Daniels wouldn't/couldn't do it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Fire Storm posted:

If I remember correctly, his robot was just an upside down spinning dish that spun at a very high speed. Anything that touched it got flung far and fast.

His robot was Blendo. That robot was pretty much the perfect Jamie robot. Simple, worked within the rules at the time, unbeatable. Hell, untouchable.

Blendo was rendered less-than-effective when they migrated from Robot Wars to BattleBots, for a variety of reasons.

Don't forget that Grant also had Deadblow in Battlebots, who shows up in Mythbusters from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I just don't give a poo poo about what's going on with the Wizard. I'll put it on mute and do something else or skip it on DVR. It's just not interesting to watch them chew up yet another greenhorn who isn't quite cut for this job.

• Locked thread