Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Directed by: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Rose McGowan, Kurt Russell, that mexican bartender who turns into a vampire in From Dusk Till Dawn

Really this movies main attraction is that it is two full length films that both look like an old film, although the movies took place in present day. The first movie is a zombie film that is incredibly gory, written by Robert Rodriguez (one of the two Sin City directors) and I thought it was the better of the two movies. The second movie I felt was a little more laid back, a bunch of car chases with a psycho trying to kill hot chicks by vehicular homicide!

Overall both movies are surprisingly good and each one is around 90 minutes in length. The main issue with them seems to be people comparing the two movies together. I went to a screening with a friend, I thought the first movie was great and the second was ok and my buddy loved the second movie and hated the first.

Another thing to look forward to is before each movie there are "previews" to fake films which are very funny and way over the top (done in the same style as the trailer to Grindhouse).

I am diffenately going to watch this again in the theater and buy it on DVD when it gets released!

RATING: 4

PROS: Two different movies in one! Cool special effects, chick with a gun for a leg!
CONS: Depending on which movie you like you may find one too gory or one a little boring!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462322/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setheck
Sep 20, 2002

Look at me, I'm a sexy boy!
Just got back from this movie (sneak peek) it was loving AWESOME. I recommend it to anyone and EVERYONE.

GO loving SEE THIS!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I know this isn't the forum for discussion and all but I've got a quick question. Is it really considered a comedy?

moderator note: what is wrong with you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

not a review, I should really probate you but since you only replied to that last idiot I guess I'll let you off.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 5, 2007

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
While very funny at times, Grindhouse isn't a comedy. Also Eli Roth only directed the 'Thanksgiving' trailer, not the movies. Quentin Tarantino directed "Death Proof" (and, kind of annoyingly, is in it for ~15 minutes). And Bruce Willis is in MAYBE three minutes total.

'Planet Terror' is absolutely fantastic, it completely nails the look and feel Rodriguez was going for, and is filled with great action, gags, and laughs. It's quite impressive how, despite the short length, it really feels like a long, full featured movie. This is partially due to using a Missing Reel gag, which is executed extremely well, and works on several levels. The sex scene is so hot that it burns up the film, then it cuts directly to a huge explosion, skipping several (inferred) boring exposition sequences. My only real complaint is that the Dakota/Doctor Block storyline seems a bit unfinished, althoughit implies that it was developed in the missing reel.

In all, a perfect exploitation film. Never dull, fast paced, and increasingly ridiculous as it goes on.

'Death Proof' is indulgent, even by Quentin Tarantino standards. And that's saying a lot. There were a whole lot of things about it that really annoyed me at the time (constant gratuitous namedrops of hip places in Austin, Quentin Tarantino in the movie and talking incessantly, the fact that every character talks like Quentin Tarantino, YES WE GET IT YOU ENJOYED VANISHING POINT), but it's pretty good nonetheless. Kurt Russel pretty much dominates whenever he gets screentime, but is a tad underused. A very lackluster opening is redeemed by a great car chase and a fantastic ending.

No idea how to rate it really, to use Ebert's style of rating how well the film achieved its goals, I'd have to go with:

'Planet Terror' - 5/5
'Death Proof' - 3.5/5

As a whole though, it's a heck of an experience and not to be missed. Make sure you're in a packed theater, it improves things.

adavis
Jan 18, 2004
Planet Terror: Absolutely loved it, very reminiscent of Evil Dead in terms of the violence and ridiculousness. I mean that as a huge compliment. Entertaining from start to finish and I think I would have paid to see just this movie.

Death Proof: The post above this also covers most of the issues I had with this one, but it really can't be stated enough how indulgent this movie seems. With that said, I'm sure it was done at least in part intentionally. The chase at the end was fun, but not fun enough after the bullshit you have to slog through to get there.

Machete: The fake trailer that prefaces Planet Terror needs to be made. Immediately.

Planet Terror: 5/5
Death Proof: 3/5
Machete potential: 10/5

Quality
Oct 11, 2005
I'm a supercilious little bitch who will never be happy.
Just back from the sneak preview here in Plano. Pretty great stuff, here's my break down.

Planet Terror is a complete blast beginning to end. Just about as action packed as you can get. Campy, fun, violent, and sexy are just a few of the words I'd used to describe it. It's over the top, and the director relishes in it.

Death Proof on the other hand is completely different. It's full of exposition, all in Tarantino fashion. The characters are all full of his signature nuances and it's fun watching the dialog... for awhile. Although it starts to drag at a few places, it completely redeems itself with the spectacular car chase sequences. The ending was also fantastic, which more than made up for the slow start.

The fake trailers are also perfectly done and only add to the whole 'Grindhouse' atmosphere. Top notch stuff for sure.

Overall, after Planet Terror was complete I thought I got my money's worth. That rarely happens at the theater anymore. Then to get Death Proof, and the trailers? gently caress, great stuff. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun time at the theater again.

Death Proof 4.5/5
Overall Experience 5/5

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Just got back from an after hours screening, and it was fantastic.

Grindhouse definitely delivers on everything that you would expect from the trailers that everyone has seen. If you go in expecting anything else, you might be disappointed I guess.

Unlike the other reviewers, I actually liked Death Proof more than Planet Terror. I don't know if I just have a thing with zombie movies or what, but it seems like the whole "over the top (but funny because it's on purpose) zombie movie" thing has been done before. It reminded me of "From Dusk 'til Dawn" and some others. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, I just didn't think it was as funny or original as Death Proof. The missing scene was quite funny because you don't find out the secret about Freddy Rodriguez's character, which people are vaguely talking about right after the 'missing scene'

I absolutely loved Death Proof for a few reasons. First, and this is a heavy spoiler, so read with caution: The fact that an entire cast of fairly well developed characters was killed off about 30-35 minutes into the movie threw me off, and I thought it was hilarious. The car chase and the ending are what really made the movie great though. Some of Tarantino's rambling dialogue can get annoying at times, but it's not as bad as I was preparing myself for.

Planet Terror 4.5/5
Death Proof 5/5
Fake Trailers and "extras" Cute kittens, I'm looking at you: 5.5/5
Overall: 5/5

Although I'm a little worried that we're going to be getting complaints about missing reels, scratches, focus problems, and cigarette burns.

ohhhlethal
Dec 4, 2006

doubleGLOCK
Planet Terror - Hilarious non stop brutal gore. Completely awesome and a fun satirical zombie movie. The gore is jaw dropping and horrendous and the characters are pretty much "ok". If they were acting to be good actors then they are far from it , but if there acting was to mock crappy zombie movies then they did fine. Really Planet Terror was a most awesome movie to watch. The gun play, and mind you I'm part of the TFR community is horrible, but I wasn't expecting it to be. If you're going with the idea set in mind for an "accurate" zombie movie (how that is possible I don't know), with functional gun play and all that jazz... don't. Don't start bitching when she doesn't reload her m16A4/m203 stump mounted zombie gun. I feel a lot of people do that to much for movies and it's loving annoying. Go to Grindhouse with an open mind and expect a fun, gore adventure with semi decent heroes and characters and have naked hotties.

Death Proof - Horrible. Have fun watching mid 30's actresses try to play off as if they are college grads with high school girls melodrama mentalities (Not new to the industry). Death Proof's dialog combined is over 45 minutes pure poo poo.. The worst part is Quentin Tarantino's annoying drawn out script. I really don't get the hype of Tarantino, and no my favorite movies aren't "Dude Where's My Car?" and the "Scary Movie" series. His poo poo is boring and Death Proof is an example in celluloid form. You can only "Develop" these characters depths and become so close to them before you get it and it's loving boring. Them getting killed was the best part. As for the infamous car chase. I can only watch a car get hit on the side by another car so many times. I can only watch a car get rammed in the back so many times. Other than that, Kurt Russel is brilliant on screen and carried Death Proof for me. The last and biggest of rants... the black girl (driver). Yeah I said it. the most stereotypical black girl you can thing of; bitch accent, always yelling, "motherfucker", horrible repeated dialog, and nasty black hair. Basically it made me hate every minute of her and her existence and felt sorry for how a tyoical ghetto black girl is depicted, because she totally just blew that out of proportion.. I hate how she talked and I wanted her to die. I'm surprised I didn't ever hear her say "OH NO YOU D'INT! and what happen to the girl that was gonna get raped? Final Thought, feel free to walk out on Death Proof, unless for some ungodly reason you're like the other "artist" and see the depth of Tarantino's "culture" (which I highly doubt is true because some people thrive off being "indie").

The Trailers - goldmine. All I have to say on that.

Sorry Tarantion, you can only be a perverted rapist with drawn out typical dialog so many times before I give you the boot. Ohhh, but your so indie and alternative, spare me.

To everyone who has seen it
Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't Thanksgiving.

Planet Terror - 4.5/5
Death Proof - 2/5, and that's me being nice.
Trailers - 10/5 or 2/1 if you prefer. They were the best thing ever.

ohhhlethal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2007

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

Planet Terror was an extremely well made, hilarious movie. I enjoyed Slither, but Planet Terror practically makes that movie obsolete. It does everything Slither attempted, but significantly better. After I was sure that she had the skank stench of has-been like Tara Reid, Rose McGowan is hot again. Extremely hot. Planet Terror is a definate 5.

I love Tarantino, but Tarantino's dialogue was not what I needed after the over the top glee Planet Terror filled me with. Rodriguez went for a playful parody, Tarantino, much like with Kill Bill, made a loving homage. But as others have said, he gets way too self indulgent. After being in a theater over an hour, my legs are hurting, my head is starting to hurt, I don't need 5 minute scenes of girls talking in a way that a giant nerd might imagine they talk. Oh, and did I mention VANISHING POINT? VANISHING POINT? It was almost said more than "DON'T" I think Death Proof and Planet Terror are great movies that don't mesh well with the other. But I'll be able to better appreciate Death Proof on dvd, where I can take much needed breaks.

The overall experience definitely makes this a movie that needs to be seen in theaters.

ProtoKaiser
Feb 28, 2005

Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I just got back from this movie. It was loving AMAZING. The fake trailers were hilarious, Rodriguez was badass, and Kurt Russell is a mans man!

Planet Terror: 10/5
Death Proof 10/5
Machete 100,000/5

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This was awesome in every way. I have no complaints, and yes - Death Proof is long. However, it is 100% worth it. Both movies are brilliant, and the trailers even more so. I'd love to see a Grindhouse 2 with 45 min versions of all the trailers.

Planet Terror - 5/5
Death Proof - 5.5/5
Trailers - 5.5/5

Average - 5.5/5

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Not only were both movies awesome as well as all the trailers, but I got to see it in the same theater as Tarantino, Rodriguez, Eli Roth, Freddy Rodriguez, Rosario Dawson, Rose McGowen, and a bunch of other cast&crew.

It was great.

Planet Terror is just non-stop awesome with some great cameos.
Death Proof starts off slow, but will definitely surprise you and is awesome in the end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
While initially I much preferred Planet Terror's ridiculous over-the-toposcity over the sort of meandering, drawn-out :words:fest that was Death Proof, I found myself thinking about Death Proof a lot more, and to me while its definitely not as fast-paced its more memorable and unique, though I admit I loved both.

Also, the trailers were great. Even Eli Roth managed to make something good for once!

Planet Terror: 4/5
Death Proof 5/5
Fake Trailers 4.5/5

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
YOU GUYS ARE ALL INSANE

Planet terror - Good enough, well acted, good characters, made me feel fear, suspense, Rose McGowan is beautiful. The only bad part, just like Pulp Fiction, was Tarantino's cameo. A lot of the good parts were in the trailer, unfortunately.

Deathproof - gently caress you Tarantino. I hate you. This movie should be called 4 girls talk about nothing for 80 minutes, and Kurt Russel is a psychopath for some reason. No semblance of a plot or character development, dialog that tries too hard to be insightful/witty, he thinks he's being clever by telling us there's missing reels and then skipping/pausing annoyingly, no suspense, no humor. This movie made me not like Kurt Russel. Watch the fake trailers then leave.

Planet terror: 4/5
Deathproof: 0.5/5

EDIT: No I have not seen Vanishing Point, the 'Original' Gone in 60 seconds or any of those other VROOM VROOM movies mentioned in the film - if you have, and you have a huge hardon for long car scenes involving 15 rear ends in a row, you might enjoy it. But Deathproof does not stand on its own - people walked out and I wish we were as smart as them.
EDIT2: According to IMDB, Robert Rodriguez plans on releasing Machete straight to video in 2008 :dance:

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 7, 2007

Dick Weed
Jan 1, 2006
Your friendly neighborhood zombie know-it-all.
This is the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I absolutely loved both. I can't BELIEVE how many times I laughed, how many "awwwwhhh"s there were from the audience when nasty or disgusting bits happened, or the cheers when things that can only be described as loving awesome happened.

I got 3 hours of sleep on Thursday night, and still I went to the 11:35 showing of Grindhouse with my friends, and I got home at 4:00, and woke up now to go to work at 9... so in 48 hours I will have gotten less than 6 hours of sleep... but it was totally worth it.

The best movie I have ever seen EVER.

5 out of loving 5.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Loved the movie, and I apparently am in the smaller group who liked Death Proof better than Planet Terror. But then again, I love those old car movies like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, and the fact that it featured 4 (COUNT EM) awesome cars just made it even better.

For those wondering, the awesome cars are:

-71 Chevy Nova
-69 Dodge Charger (the greatest car ever built)
-70 Dodge Challenger
-69 Mustang Mach 1

(I'm less sure of the years on the Ford and GM cars, since I own a 69 Charger and am obsessed with Mopars).

I thought that the second group of girls were all awesome, and I loved the setup for the huge ending. But that being said, I did love the first movie too, although zombie movies aren't usually a genre I enjoy. Overall, it was just a fantastic theater experience, we had a great time sitting in a lovely little theater downtown, that served beer no less, and watching this cheese-fest in all its glory.

Pros: Both stories are fun in different ways, the trailers were great and everything was schlock-tastic.
Cons: Some of the women with our group had trouble with the gore in Planet Terror, especially the scene where Tarantino whipped it out

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Saw a midnight showing last night. Got out of the theater at 3:20 a.m. and skipped back to my car with outright giddiness. This is the most enjoyment I have ever had at the movies. "Planet Terror" was a tremendous amount of fun, and has so many great moments, it is almost impossible to pick one. Though, "God bless you and your service to this country" is probably the best. After it was over, I had no idea how "Death Proof" was going to top it. And it may not have topped it, but it was the perfect follow up.

Following the relentless gore and action, the hilarious trailers/commercials had a nice "release" period, and the Tarantino dialog/film tributes/references had a great cooling off effect. As mentioned before, I loved how an entire cast was killed off, fantastically at that, halfway through, and the tension that gave the last half of the movie I had a sense of dread through all of the coversations later, waiting for Russell to appear, followed by a loving amazing car chase and brilliant ending. I may be lame, but it was intense enough that I needed that (slightly) more "cerebral" part to get a break, so I could be fully excited during it.

This movie certainly isn't for everyone, and I know I got much, much more into it than most. But I doubt I will ever have this much fun watching a movie again.

5.5/5

DON'T

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
First let me say each movie stands of its own but overall Deathproof stands on its on the best.

That said the order of the movies actually hurt the overall effect of the movie as a whole. Tarantino's movie is a talk-fest at first which feels misplaced after the splatter punk feel of Planet Terror. It would of worked better as the first movie and Planet Terror being last. Despite what the Tarantino haters (why would they even go see this?) have to say he does a great job and I am looking forward to the full version release of Deathproof which is almost too polish for Grindhouse. I have to see that the best death part (which I was surprise at how good it was done) was in Deathproof. You know what part I am talking about. I wanted to watch it again and again.

Planet Terror? Perfect fit for Grindhouse. I was worried about this movie but it turned out great. The audience laughed and cheered during the whole movie (they also did the same for the second-half of Deathproof). I will never look at one of those little motorcycles the same again. The acting was bad the way it was suppose to be (Well Rose McGowan can not act anyway).

The trailers were perfect. My favorite was Roth's Thanksgiving, but the audience laughed the hardest during the Don't trailer.

Again the only real bitch was the movies did not fit together well. One was total cheese and the other was Tarantino doing what he does best. I still think if the order was changed it would of worked better. Just a thought.

Planet Terror: 4.5/5
Death Proof 4.5/5
Fake Trailers 5/5
Overall 5/5

Lastly this movie is made to watch with a crowd. Do not wait for DVD.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 7, 2007

JoadsShovel
Jan 10, 2006
I didn't find that book we were looking for, but I did find this bitchin' slammer!
This was the most fun I've ever had doing anything I've ever done.

Like others have said, this movie is definitely a thousand times better if you see it under the right conditions. For me, those conditions were a midnight showing after my friends and I walked down there, toking up en route and smuggling in a mason jar of moonshine. There were about 6 other people in the theatre, but it was pretty clear that we were all having a great time. Just sitting there and looking at the big screen and what was going on up there was such an awesome experience.

I loved both movies, but I think Planet Terror is my favorite. Watching the trailer for it, I remember thinking "That gun-chick thing looks awesome, but how can they make this last more than the duration of a (really cool looking) trailer? Turns out, she's probably the best character in the film, although I suspect everyone will have their favorites. The way the multiple storylines intersect and the dialogue reveals the relationships between these characters is so smart and stylishly cool that I couldn't help but get really excited for Rodriguez' work in the future. People might disagree, but this writing and directing is brilliant- sometimes it's unfortunate that the bar is set pretty low in terms of what it's stylized after because there are moments that made me smile the entire time ("See how fast my friends work?), not because of how cheesy or outrageous it is, but because it's honestly beautifully executed. So much fun.

Death Proof is built on a really intense set-up (or, rather, two intense set-ups), and works really well as a follow-up to "Planet Terror". Call me a pretentious art fag, but I love really long conversations, as long as they are interesting and develop the characters somewhat. Maybe the conversations were too long, but I wasn't restless for more action, as I had more than enough unleashed on me 2 hours before. I was in the mood to just sit and watch, and the characters are really well-written and believable (to an extent). And hoooooly poo poo that car chase is intense. I loved how they were stuntpeople because it really made you appreciate how dangerous and cool the actual stunts were.

I love watching these directors who know what they're doing dance around and have fun with their material. Overall, if I were forced to watch these movies (and the kickass trailers) over and over again for all eternity, I'm pretty sure it would be a pretty long time before I started to not like it. Amazing stuff.

JoadsShovel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2007

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

If you're... Thinking about... Seeing... this movie...

DON'T.

Seriously though, see it. Planet Terror might go down as one of my favorite corpse exploding movies ever. Everything was perfect, and I couldn't help but laughing at the dumbest things ever, Pocket Bike zombie slaying and Quentin "Making it quick".

Death Proof was decent, but after a slow opening, there was one bit of amazingness and what felt like 4 hours of girl chat disguised as character development. Might've been a truely great movie if it had a chapter skip, or If they showed the outcome of cheerleader girl after the credits

But all in all the best thing ever were the trailers.

Thanksgiving.

Planet Terror - 5/5
Death Proof - 3.5/5
Trailers - 5.5/5

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Planet Terror

Not a big fan of this brand of zombie, but I still got a real kick out of it. Rodriguez has a knack for keeping the adrenaline flowing every single second, as well as some truly brutal violence. I absolutely loved it. Hell, I even thought Tarantino did a pretty good job in his role.

Deathproof

I was seriously ready to write this off as a Tarantino wankfest when it began. The man is seriously in love with his dialogue. There are some gems in there that harken back to the days of "Pulp Fiction" and the like, but you've got to sift through a lot of :words: to get to them.

And then the end came. Talk about your money shots.

Planet Terror: 4.5/5.0
Deathproof: 4.0/5.0

But the atmosphere and sense of style demands that I give this an overall score of no less than a five.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rated 2.5

Planet Terror = delivers

Deathproof = way overloaded with boring, talky, unbelievable dialogue with minimal payoff for the effort, IMHO.

More comment in the GBS thread, but I think QT's 70s worship shtick/gimmick is completely played out.

I will be very wary of future QT product.

priapism
Mar 18, 2004
Planet Terror was great, but Tarentino's shitfest was so bad that I'm still rating this a .5. Death Proof is the most boring piece of poo poo I've ever seen in a theater, and proof that Quentin has never seen an actual grindhouse flick. gently caress him.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Grindhouse is fantastic and is well worth your money no matter how you look at it. One of these films were cater to you. My biggest complaint comes from Planet Terror. Which, while extremly fun; drags on during very odd moments. What sometimes should be visceral is flat out boring. Nevertheless, it's a solid movie and would have been worth the price of admission.

But fear not, you get your share of hilarious fun trailers. I don't even want to ruin them, let me just say, amazing.

Then comes Death Proof. One of the most enjoyable films I have seen in years. I found myself being a kid again, cherring and clapping. It is a little slow as some have said, but it was worth it. The payoff is fantastic. And while the dialogue was stupid, I enjoyed it. It was so much fun. Grindhouse simply rocks.

Planet Terror: 4.0
Trailers: 5.5
Death Proof: 5.5

Overall: 5.0

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Planet Terror was quite possibly the best movie I've seen in my entire life. Ridiculously over the top action, awesome one-liners, puns, and quips, and a plot terrible enough to carry the whole thing.

Death Proof, on the other hand, was a steaming pile of poo poo. It was INCREDIBLY painful to sit through all of the monotonous, cumbersome dialogue that never went anywhere, and the chase scene loving sucked and was definitely not worth all the bullshit. It really should have ended after the first half hour, or should have ended with those loving annoying bitches getting killed by Kurt Russell. Kurt Russell was really the only saving grace.

I regretted not walking out after Planet Terror.

Planet Terror: 5.5/5
Death Proof: 1.0/5

All in all, I gave it a 3.5

Gone Fashing fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2007

PinchyCM
Feb 10, 2004
Planet Terror was entertaining in a more outrageous Shaun of the Dead kind of way. Points for our hero with the knife gymnastics style and Rose McGowan with her machine gun/rpg leg. Balls. OW. 3.5/5

Deathproof. Brilliant. Loved the setup, did not expect the end. Definitely warranted the cheering and applause. 4.5/5

Trailers. Don't. Hahahaha. Oh my gosh 4/5

Overall 4/5

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Like another cat mentioned in the thread, the movie might've been better if the order of the films were switched.

That being said, I enjoyed both movies. Obviously Planet Terror was the better of the two.

Planet Terror
This could've been released as a stand-alone movie and it would have been one of the greatest movies ever made. Geez, every single second of this flick was the epitome of amazing. I can't even begin to describe how awesome this was.
5.5/5

Death Proof
We've already discussed about how it was boring and there was too much Tarantino wankery and all that, but I have one massive issue with this film that killed it for me: Kurt Russell.
Kurt Russell is the man. Even when he's playing a crazy stuntman psychopath murderer, he's still the man. Every single female character in Death Proof annoyed the snot out of me, and you're telling me I'm supposed to root for a bunch of annoying, talky, stereotypically horrible "strong" female leads and cheer when I have to watch freaking Snake Plissken get beat up and killed? No. I wanted Stuntman Snake to kill all of those women the entire time.
movie: 2.5/5
Kurt Russell: 5.5/5

The trailers are all fantastic, especially Thanksgiving. Though I can understand showing Planet Terror first, because sitting through Death Proof to get to PT would've been hard. I think the problem with Death Proof was that it really didn't feel like a cheezy 70s Grindhouse flick. It felt like someone took a Quentin Tarantino movie and did a really poor job of editing it. Rodriguez knew exactly what he was doing with Planet Terror, it hit all the right beats and the whole thing was just butter.

Overall: 4.5/5 (Because Death Proof isn't nearly as awesome as Planet Terror.)

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
Well, I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really care for either film. I mean, I guess I can't really say that I'm disappointed, I knew going in that this was Rodriguez and Tarantino having fun, but I suppose I was just expecting more given their respective talents.

Planet Terror
As has been stated over and over in this thread, this was definitely the better of the two films. Despite some sections that dragged a little it was generally entertaining, though I still have no idea why that guy needed everyones testicles, and don't think it was explained in the missing reel. The violence was intense, though the pay off on the machine gun leg was a little late and short, and most of the scenes involving the leg were shown in the trailers. Overall a good movie, though nothing to warrent a second viewing, bonus points for killing one of the Black Eyed Peas.
3.5\5

Death Proof
Thoguh I didn't find it to be as bad as some people, this was definitely one of the most disappointing movies I've seen this year. The first half of the movie adds up to absolutely nothing, and if you haven't seen it yet, I'll say it with authority, NOTHING. One car crash is the pay off for 40 minutes of :words:. The second half isn't much better, and while Kurt Russell does give a great performance as usual, it's offset by Rosario Dawson's face looking like a bad acid trip.
2\5

Overall, neither movie was particularly great, and Death Proof was particularly bad. I knew what I was getting going into the theatre, but given how talented these 2 directors are, I was expecting more than "LOL BAD MOVIEZ ROFL". I agree whole heartedly about the trailers being amazing, but maybe they prove a point. While Machette and Thanksgiving looked amazing in the trailers, Death Proof did too, so in the end, maybe these movies were better served as fractured vignettes than full length features.

Overall: 3\5

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I wanted to like Grindhouse. But after meditating on film for a day, I've decided I can't get behind this film. Why? Because the Grindhouse that Rodriguez and Tarantino have brought the viewing public is a bastardized version of the grind house fare offered in the 70's - the Hollywood version - and I'm not buying it.

First, grind house pictures featured shoestring budgets and Z-list actors. Part of their appeal was the fact that they were so poorly scripted/acted that they became infectious - so bad they were good. In Grindhouse, we're treated to A-list actors - Rose McGowan, Kurt Russell, and Rosario Dawson, to name a few - pretending they're on the Z-list.

(I'll take a step back from playing devil's advocate for a minute to say that I understand why we had to have A-list actors on screen: marketability. Without the draw of first-string talent, the film might have lost a lot of viewers.)

But still, you have to be annoyed when Rodriguez's Planet Terror lingers on the head army honcho as he pulls off his mask, and - surprise! - it's action-movie veteran Bruce Willis. That's not what the grind house is about. Also problematic are Tarantino's cameos in both films - again, missing the point entirely. I'm not even going to devote more than a sentence to the presence of Stacy "Fergie" Ferguson's meth-riddled face - except to say her death came about five minutes too late.

But, to be fair, there is plenty that Planet Terror does get right. Rose McGowan's rifle-leg is something straight out of a grind house flick. Though I'm sure the teenage boys around the country who sneaked into this movie expecting to see her "McGowans" were disappointed with the "Lost Reel" ploy (though this, too, hits the grind house nail on its head).

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about Grind House, for me, is the fact that the trailers shown during the intermission between films had more promise than either movie. Rob Zombie's "Werewolf Women of the SS" has everything you could hope for in a grind house flick - pointless nudity, campy acting, and Nazis. I wasn't even bothered by Nicholas Cage's cameo as Fu Manchu. Anyone who will take a paycheck to run around in a bear suit and punch women belongs in a grind house flick. Edgar Winter's spoof of horror-movie clich�s, the appropriately titled Don't might not work as a full feature, but it was hilarious. And Eli Roth redeems himself for making Hostel with Thanksgiving, on which principal photography needs to begin right now. I have one word for that trailer: epic. And it's already available for viewing online!

Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof is best summed up as one hour of foreplay with twenty minutes of money shot. Though his entry delivered the fewer thrills of the two, it stayed truer to the grind house formula. Grind house racing movies were infamous for having low budgets. A director in this era would blow his entire film's budget on a single racing sequence. How did he pad the rest of his film, you ask?

With talking. And talking. And more talking.

Now, Tarantino has made a career out of writing dialogue that would only normally come out of the mouth of a 60's hipster, and the dialogue Death Proof is no exception. Tarantino's characters are oh so cool, spouting lingo that only a scant few in the viewing audience would understand. This adds a banality to the first half of film that is only broken up by a brutal car crash. Then, we're introduced to a new set of girls (which includes the film's "star" Rosario Dawson - odd that she makes her first appearance halfway through the proceedings), and more dialogue.

Needless to say, this film will try your patience. But the payoff, surprisingly, is worth it. Kurt Russell's character, Stuntman Mike, gets the tables turned on him. The hunter becomes the hunted, and real-life stuntwoman Zoe Bell, who does some amazing car stunts, plays one of the girls. The film's ending is so wonderfully abrupt that it almost makes up for the preceding hour of film. Almost.

In the end, I didn't love Grindhouse, though I wanted to. Perhaps my expectations were too high - I went in expecting grind house and instead got a ham-fisted homage. You know something is wrong when the trailers are truer to form than the films themselves. But, alas, I can only hope the rumors of a straight-to-DVD version of Machete is true.

Planet Terror: 3/5
Death Proof: 2/5
Overall: 2.5/5

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 8, 2007

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
My friends and I walked out about a minute into Tarantino's terrible dialogue in Death Proof, so Grindhouse was essentially fake trailers and Planet Terror. Which pretty much made it my favorite movie this year so far.

Everything from the unnecessary but ridiculously fake gore, to practically everyone being a character actor, to Fergie getting her brains eaten out, everything in this movie was everything I could have hoped for out of a cheesy B-movie. I was also in hysterics after the "missing reel" footage. The film returns and suddenly huge, gaping plot holes were EVERYWHERE.

Also, the trailers for She-Werewolves of the SS and Thanksgiving might be the greatest things Rob Zombie and Eli Roth have ever made. Despite that, Don't and Machete trumped them both.

Trailers: 5/5
Death Proof: N/A

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Planet Terror - Pure, Unmitigated shock value. A balls to the wall, never lets up, mushroom cloud layin' explode-a-thon. The highlights for me included Rose McGowan's gun-leg (rocket jumping), gratuitous decapitations (helicopter scene), and Michael loving Biehn. It was awesome finally seeing him back in action after being out of the limelight for a while.

Death Proof - Gives the audience a much-needed reprieve from the contant insanity of Planet Terror. A completely different type of film, it actually spends the time to set up the plot and identify the characters, which any movie-goer without ADD would appreciate. Also, this set-up results in a better payoff for the end of the film, which once again ramps up the action to redline and doesn't stop until it leaves the audience on their feet in applause.

The trailers all were superb and were just as important to the overall package as the features were, in my opinion.

In conclusion, the best theater money spent all year.

Death Proof: 5.5/5
Overall: 5.5/5

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 9, 2007

Russell_Nash
Mar 3, 2006
Quite the experience. My only complaint I think is the order the movies were shown. Deathproof has the standard Tarantino 20mins of nothing going on while characters shoot the poo poo about random BS. After such an over to top crazy action zombie film it kinda drags out a little(especially since that is around the 2 hour mark). I think the pacing would have worked out better if Deathproof ran first.

Planet Terror 4.5/5
Over the top action, tung and cheek comedy, zombies... pretty awesome

Deathproof 5/5
Half standard slasher flick, half totally awesome car chase film. Minus 1 scene, shot with old style of no blue screen, no cgi, they literally are flying down the road smashing cars up the whole time. A really nice and much appreciated throwback to the golden days of auto.

Machette Trailer 5.5/5
Oh god, I hope they really make this movie...

Over all experience 5.5/5 (GO SEE IT)

Russell_Nash fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2007

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
This film started exactly how I wanted, fast paced, funny, and gory. And that was just the fake trailers.

Planet Terror was almost perfect. Just enough character development to get you into it, and then action all the way to the end.

Death Proof, on the other hand, was a major let down. This film had a great premise, and could have been strong, but every scene that Russel wasn't in seemed drawn out and unnecessary. The whole conversion over breakfast was utterly boring, and didn't do much for the plot; it seems as if it was just thrown in as filler. As far as car chases go, the one at the end was pretty good, it just took way too long to get there; especially compared to Planet Terror

Planet Terror: 4.5/5
Death Proof: 2/5
Overall: 3.75/5

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Man I must not be 'getting' something because seriously...

Planet Terror - THE. MOST. UNWATCHABLE. PIECE. OF. poo poo. EVER. Goddamn I came so close to leaving. What an unwatchably boring film. I know it is supposed to be a "salute" to poo poo zombie movies, but if you are going to do that DO NOT HAVE THE EXACT SAME PREDICTABLE PLOT AS EVERY ONE OF THOSE MOVIES. Bunch of small town people barely escape zombie attack end up at military base and THEN oh no we find out there is a military double cross and then a big shoot out as the small band escapes with a helicopter OH MY GOD. I liked the Evil Dead films, I liked Shaun of the Dead, so I clearly do not just hate funny gory movies. But god it was SOOOO loving BORING. Christ BORING BORING BORING.

0.5/5

Death Proof - A bit slow when it was just the beginning, but when it got to the bar I found it very entertaining from then on. Best car chase scene ever. Thoroughly satisfying, and VERY fun.

4/5

Overall

3/5

I'd like to personally say gently caress Rodriguez for boring the poo poo out of me so thoroughly that I was beyond tempted to miss out on Terentino's awesome film.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

I didn't think either of the movies in Grindhouse were very good, overall I felt like both movies were just 100% fanservice fluff with almost zero plot.

Planet Terror - I understand they were going for a cliche zombie movie vibe with this one but it just seemed boring to me. None of the jokes were very funny and the whole thing just seemed pointless. Just like in every other movie hes been in, the character quentin tarintino played only served to drag the movie even further down. I just felt like the director was overindulging himself to the point of unfunny boredom and utter predictability.

2.5/5

Death Proof - This felt like a boring pretense of a movie that was based around a mediocre car chase climax. It seemed like tarintino just didn't finish this one. It felt overall like the person who wrote it just came up with a bunch of dialog with some nonsense action scenes. It was enjoyable but I won't be watching it again.

3.5/5

Overall

3/5

When I initially saw the previews for this movie I thought it was going to suck, but then the reviews got my hopes up only to be let down by the typical overindulgent tarintino bullshit.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Planet Terror: Unadulterated gently caress Yes.

Death Proof: Quentin, I'd like to have a few words with you.

By now it is incredibly obvious that you have a fetish, and are basically making movies simply to indulge it. You like certain types of actresses. You like shapeless, cellulite-covered ghetto asses. You like feet. Sweet christ do you like feet. You're almost as obsessed with amputation as George Lucas. You like obnoxiously "strong" female characters talking about whatever retarded IMDB message board bullshit you can crap out. This movie is like your fantasy world. And you know what, I could have dealt with it, if you had at LEAST had Kurt Russell, who was and is always eminently watchable, in the movie for more than TEN loving MINUTES. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THESE RETARDED ANNOYING NAME DROPPING BITCHES AND FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST NO ONE WANTS TO LITERALLY WATCH AN OBNOXIOUS DRUNK BITCH TEXT MESSAGE AN UNRESOLVED SUBPLOT BOYFRIEND FOR FIVE MOTHERFUCKING MINUTES I SWEAR TO CHRIST WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.

That said, Stuntman Mike was a delight with every second he was onscreen. The ending car chase was pretty cool, if only because I'm sure you made certain is was done "old school" with actual drivers and cars. I can respect that. The final scene where the girls beat up Stuntman Mike was funny, especially ending it in the middle of their little victory jumps with a freezeframe and happy music. It almost made me forget how self indulgent, irrelevent (both culturally and plotwise), and boring 90% of the movie before that scene was.

Repeat after me, Quentin: Just because they're talking, doesn't mean it's character development.

Trailers: Way more than five/5

I am sneaking in to watch this before/after every movie I see for the next few months.

Death Proof: 3/5
Two of those points are from Kurt Russell.

Summary: If you're gonna see Grindhouse, get ready to enjoy the hell out of Planet Terror. Bring a GameBoy for almost all of Death Proof. The end is worth seeing, but barely anything else. I played BrickBreaker on my cellphone for like 45 minutes.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I refuse to give these two films individual review scores. I would have seen either of them by themselves and liked them for different reasons, but that's beside the point; this "double-feature" is the sum of its parts.

Planet terror: Mostly-mindless carnage in an action-comedy that is just so ludicrous that it's laughable most of the time (totally on purpose of course) but also really loving awesome. Highlight: Badass hero rides a teeny motorbike. Oh, and the gun-leg.

Death Proof: A well-written well-acted suspense thriller that goes between sophistication and feral savagery in ways that Hitchcock would be proud of. Highlight: High-heeled axe-kick at the very end had me and others cheering and clapping in the theater.

The mini-trailer spoofs: Reminded me of Kentuckey Fried Movie. Which is a very very very good thing.

Overall: 5

Probably one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Absolutely excellent concept of paying tribute to old exploitation cinema. Tickles me in every right place. Good loving god, you owe it to yourself to see this. The only "con" I can think of is that it might upset people who make the mistake of not going to the bathroom beforehand.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 15, 2007

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I really enjoyed Planet Terror. It made me laugh a lot and I enjoyed how it lampooned stereotypical action movie cliches such as The Dog jumping down for no reason and getting mutilated, because dogs always survive where humans die and the kid shooting himself... kids in these movies always get a free pass.

Death Proof was disappointing, as it kept going on and on and on and on and on and on about nothing. I was actually disappointed that Kurt Russel died, especially turning into a little bitch about everything. He should have won, as all these female characters were annoying. Also, the unresolved plot with the cheerleader character. Did she get raped and left in a ditch? What was gonna happen when they bring the hillbilly back his demolished car?. Overall it felt like a wank-fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkoubyDoo
Dec 24, 2004

I thought Grindhouse was one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. The theater wasn't packed, but just having thirty or so other people with you to watch this movie made it infinitely better.

The first film, Planet Terror, is one of the grossest movies I've seen. I really liked the music and mood of this movie. The characters were likeable and the laughs and ooohs and ahhhhs were many a minute.

The trailers were the funniest things I have ever seen in a theater. I was dying. This is the exact humor me and my brother share and it felt like all our humor over the years, distilled into four hilarious trailers. I also like the 70s "coming attractions" and "feature presentation" screens and, especially, the Restricted cats. Very nice touch.

Death Proof was definitely giving off that, "Hey I'm Quentin Tarantino, and these are my witty thoughts spoken through incredibly confident and frank people!" vibe. It wasn't all bad, though, and there were funny lines about back cracking and general female on male banter that were welcome (especially for the ladies, having just sat through a gory zombie flick). It was a little jarring going from Planet Terror to this movie because of the difference in pacing. Because of this, I was expecting one of the girl's heads to randomly explode while they were talking, but alas, this did not happen.

After things got going, I really started to appreciate the suspense the film was building. Although the dialouge brings the film down in the beginning, after you see the results, it is hard to criticise a film with such progression and execution. This is the film that stayed with me past the theater.

Let me reiteriate: This is not a DVD movie. I'm not even sure if this film will be that entertaining past the initial viewing. What I am sure of is this: You must see this movie ASAP in the theaters. It makes all the difference in the world.