Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

JediGandalf posted:

Grrr .NET :argh:

I'll still try to hack away at it. I'm currently unemployed :smith: so I have a lot of free time. Unfortunately, I don't know what is causing the exception to be thrown. I did include the source so anyone else is free to take a crack at it.

If I were you I'd at least put in some try catch blocks around everything in MainForm_Load and updateTimer_Tick and pop up a message box with the exception message and the source so you can see where the app is throwing them. I often have a minimal logging class that dumps that info (and anything else relevant) into a text file that people can send me.

Just a suggestion, it seems to run properly for me, although I would use WriteLine for the stats.txt and the OK button on the Preferences form needs to have the DialogResult set to OK, because it's not doing anything right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

JediGandalf posted:

I'm making a "global one" so far. Once I figure out capturing system-wide key presses, I should be good to go. Also figuring out how image shack's upload mechanism works.
This should help you with capturing system-wide key presses:

http://www.anappaday.com/downloads/2006/09/day-8-jedi-console.html

Download the source - there's a very clear example and you can easily modify the code.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

Cool site. That app looks like it would fill dissectional's request pretty well too.
Heh, yeah now that I look at his request I see that it's basically exactly what he's looking for. Unfortunately, JediConsole has quite a few problems (as you could expect from a dev cycle of one day) and could really stand to be rewritten.

Another tool that is similarly executed is the command bar that integrates into Windows Explorer:
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/commandbar.asp
...which shows the very cool feature of Band Objects:
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/dotnetbandobjects.asp

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

JediGandalf posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I'm constructing my own class for the needs of the app. But I learned a lot from your example :)
Glad it's useful, but I can't take credit for the app - I just ran across it and bookmarked it since I knew it would be useful in the future.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

JediGandalf posted:

Ahh.

Perhaps you might know about this function but it is constantly returning 0/NULL and I don't know why. I tried to import GetLastError() but that is also returning 0.
code:
KeyboardHook = new HookProc(this.KeyboardProc);
hKbHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_KEYBOARD_LL, KeyboardHook,
     Marshal.GetHINSTANCE(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetModules()[0]), 0);
Any ideas?
Offhand, without seeing the rest of the code, no. But I can refer you to this:

http://www.pinvoke.net/default.aspx/user32/SetWindowsHookEx.html

quote:

Remember to keep the HookProc delegate alive manually, such as using a class member as shown in the example below, otherwise the garbage collector will clean up your hook delegate eventually, resulting in your code throwing a System.NullReferenceException.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

I'd like an app that would...rename one file to be the same name as another. gently caress I dunno how that would work :smith:.

I just use subtitles a lot since im deaf and the dubbing codec only dubs subtitle files if they are the same name as the movie file (except extentions) it's just annoying having to copy the file name and paste it every time v:shobon:v . Maybe a thing where I select two files with ctrl and either press a hotkey or right click menu and duplicate name v:shobon:v .
I've got an idea for something, give me a few.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

I'd like an app that would...rename one file to be the same name as another. gently caress I dunno how that would work :smith:.
edit: Moving to the wiki:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Duplicate_Renamer

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 29, 2007

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

Thanks, but when I try and drag a .avi it says 'Path is not of legal form' or something like that.
You need to drag two files at once, and if you want the subs to be named the same as the .avi, you need to type .avi into the "Parent Extensions" box.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Vanadium posted:

Did anyone yet request an app that would download a web page, search all links (a href, embedded media, possibly imgs) and display them in a checkbox list that is filtered through a user-provided regexp, downloading all checked files on button click? :3:
If you use firefox:
http://www.downthemall.net/

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

memknock posted:

A program that will convert any hex value in decimal value and vice versa. But it will only be working with values that are less then one.
Can't you just use calc.exe to do this? Enter the hex, switch to dec, and then multiply by whatever (.1)?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

umm, no.
Ahh, gotcha.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

EC posted:

This is a last-ditch effort for me. I've been trying to find something lightweight and simple that will take all of the items in a Exchange 2003 Public Calendar and put them into the local calendar in Outlook. It seems MS doesn't have a way to do this natively (which I simply cannot believe and wouldn't believe if I hadn't looked for the last couple of months), and the programs that DO have this feature also sync everything under the sun and want large amounts of $$$ for the privilege. Would something like this be possible?
I've been wanting to get into Office lately so I'll take a look. However, I've never done anything in Outlook so no promises. If anyone else has and wants to take this, I'd love to see the code when you're done.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Mantrid posted:

This might be a little more intense than what this thread is for, but I would really like a program that could grab an email from a server (using POP or SMTP), and then based on who the from address is and what the content of the message is, run a command, launch a program, or run a batch file.

I've always wanted this, because then I could send commands to my computer or server with my cell phone.
This isn't a new concept, but I assume you want it for Windows and not *nix?

http://codewar.net/cuts/

It actually wouldn't be too hard to write this, but the security hole is rather large. What's your concept here? Here's what came to my mind:

- Client runs as service or tray app
- Periodically checks email for message from mantrid@nokia.com and subject is "Command" (or whatever you configure)
- Parses body of Command email for keywords
- keyword can either indicate a predefined command line string or a full string to be sent right to the command line
- optional arguments can be setup for predefined strings like: "run music busdriver" to open your mp3 player and begin playing Roadkill Overcoat
- preset password must exist somewhere in the message?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

ElPipiripau posted:

Requesting an app with these characteristics:

1) To monitor a folder every "x" (minutes | seconds, must be able to define the time) for files according to filter (ex: *.jpg *.wmv or *)
2) To (copy | move) those files to another folder.
3) To rename (moved|copied) files if theres files with same names in the target folder
4) To run in tray bar (next to the clock)

Something like this would me amazing!

Ive tried foldMonkey (it seems to do this but fail most of the time for some reason) but really, it suxx big time.
Why do you need it to monitor only ever x minutes? What about if it just continually monitored (much easier)?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I'm not really familiar with what's involved in monitoring filesystem changes - why is continually easier? Can you register a callback for changes to a specific location?
Well, usually it's polling a specific directory and checking for changes (at least what I've used). However, with .NET microsoft introduced a FileSystemWatcher that makes it incredibly easy by raising events whenever the directory you choose to monitor changes. Here's an example ripped from another site:

code:
public void CreateWatcher()
{
//Create a new FileSystemWatcher.
FileSystemWatcher watcher = newFileSystemWatcher();

//Set the filter to only catch TXT files.
watcher.Filter = "*.txt";

//Subscribe to the Created event.
watcher.Created += new
FileSystemEventHandler(watcher_FileCreated);

//Set the path to C:\Temp\
watcher.Path = @"C:\Temp\";

//Enable the FileSystemWatcher events.
watcher.EnableRaisingEvents = true;
}

void watcher_FileCreated(object sender, FileSystemEventArgs e)
{
//A new .TXT file has been created in C:\Temp\
Console.WriteLine("A new *.txt file has been created!");
}
I suppose you could just queue up the event notifications and run the copy every x minutes - if the intention behind wanting to specify the polling time was to prevent numerous copies from occuring simultaneously if you were spawning a new thread for each - but I would probably be queuing up the file copies anyway.

edit: It's not really apparent from the code above but the FileSystemEventArgs object has these properties:

* Name -- This property contains the name of the file that caused the event to be fired. It DOES NOT contain that path to the file--only the file or directory name that caused the event to be fired.
* ChangeType -- This is a type of WatcherChangeTypes and indicates which type of event was fired. Valid values are:
o Changed
o Created
o Deleted
o Renamed
* FullPath -- This contains the full path to the file that caused the event to fire. It includes the filename and the directory name.

I was thinking about taking this request, actually, but I decided to play xbox instead. :D Maybe I'll do it tomorrow after work or if it's a slow day unless someone else jumps on it first.

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 29, 2007

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

ElPipiripau posted:

Cool for me! I just dont want to miss the files (for example, if someone put files in the source folder and immediately he/she moves|delete them away.
Ok, I'll give it a shot tonight.

edit: gently caress, got mired into a work project 30 mins after I said this. Gonna have to put it off for awhile. :(

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 30, 2007

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

kaniff posted:

Does this happen frequently enough that you need something to automate it?

Also, what is wrong with unplugging it?
Even better just press Windows Key-L. Pound away on it and then just log back in when you're done.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Run posted:

I don't know how 'tiny' this program would be because I have no idea how difficult it would be to make. But the task it needs to do is pretty simple.
Almost everything you're requesting is already done in a firefox extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201

You just need to actually visit the page, then it will remember the filtering and automatically get all the torrent files.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

nahanahs posted:

I'd like an app that accepts input of a number, then opens a window that looks like it's copying a file from one directory to another, using that number to time the running time of the file.
Example: You input 45 and the file copying window opens, runs for 45 minutes and reports how much time is left. I want this so, when someone walks by my desk and asks why I'm reading some web page, I can say, "I'm waiting for this copy to finish."

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1182447689
Heh, I made something like this awhile back. You can enter the window title and "Set Process" status. A higher runtime obviously means the process will run longer - I don't remember what the exact time frame is. The Secondary Process is how fast the "Current Set Progress" bar moves. I don't think I saved the project so wysiwyg.

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/WorkingHardOrHardlyWorking.exe

Needs .NET, I'll update the wiki tomorrow.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

voltron posted:

First time, long time here.

I'd really like an application (which seems simple in mind), that pops-up a small query window and posts your string in the search box on datasheetcatalog.com. Basically, I could keep this application open and just pop the part number I need into it and the application would open up the default web browser with the search results. It would be cool if there was a button you could click on the application itself that would show you the last 20 or so searches and clickable links to get to the results, but that is not necessary.

I hope this makes sense and is clear. I've done this as a Firefox bookmarklet, but a stand-alone desktop app would be ideal.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1187183920

I'll take this request.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

I'll take this request.
And done. I'll put it on the wiki after I get home tonight if it's what you're looking for. I took a guess on what type of search you are running. Let me know if it's not what you expected:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/DataSheetSearcher.exe

edit: requires .NET 2.0

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2007

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

voltron posted:

Jesus. That is exactly how I pictured it. I love minimal and clean. Jesus. What kind of search are you talking about? I think the default options are best, part name, all brands.

Do you mind if I pass this around the office to other co-workers? What is your name so I can say, "my internet friend, <yourname>, made this for us!"
Glad it's what you need. The site could also search by description, and/or "starts with" but the default made the most sense for me. Definitely pass it around if others will find it's useful too.

Wiki is updated.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

tracerbot posted:

Thank you. When you see the PSD it's not as complicated as it seems. Just shapes and gradients.

Without doubting that this could be done, and with much less work than actually programming from the ground up, I am not yet ready to give up on the idea of there being a programmer out there who believes in my concept enough to work with me on it. I don't feel I have put enough effort in yet to justify compromising the integrity of my initial concept. I do appreciate it though.

I think I will take a shot at making a thread and see what happens.
Before you do so, you should know that it is definitely pretty much exactly feasible in foobar to do this. Go to the foobar thread and find fofr's configuration.

The biggest problem with your concept is that it introduces absolutely nothing new...it's basically a skin. Not that it's worthless or anything, but I would find it hard to believe someone would put the effort into creating an entire audio player just to match a UI that is so similar to many other players.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I was annoyed by the illegibility of the text most of the time, so I added an optional semi-transparent window beneath the text to give better contrast.
haha, that's pretty neat! :)

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I don't need a drat excuse. Post 1000 in the thread!!!!
Good work on this thread and the site, Neuro - I like reading them and occasionally contributing. :)

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

derin posted:

A program for mac + windows that locks the keyboard and mouse for ~ 20 seconds so you can wipe them with some cleaning product. or you can press a combination of keys and click (since you can't clean both at the same time) to instantly unlock.
I'm not going to take this one because I think it's goofy people request it all the time, but in case you can manage without an app; you can press WinKey-L to lock and then a combination of keys (your password ;)) to unlock on Windows.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

the littlest prince posted:

Totally forgot about this, and since then I installed a fresh copy of vista and I don't know where I put visual studio. The source is on the site, so if anyone cares to change it and re-upload, that'd help (it'd be a really minor tweak). If I find time (and visual studio) while this is still in my head I'll re-install and go fix it.
I'll take care of it.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

I'll take care of it.
Alright, I uploaded the new version and source code to the site. I didn't actually test it so let me know if it doesn't work or you want the date format changed or something. :D

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Scanned_Cable_Box_Form_Renamer

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Electromax posted:

I feel like I might be able to do this myself, but I don't want to accidentally mess something up...basically I have my music library, and every Artist/Album folder has an image called "albumart.jpg" which I need to rename as "folder.jpg"...can someone write a quick batch file that will recursively go through the folders and do this rename for me? Thanks in advance!

This should do it for you:

code:
FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%c in (`dir /s /b "C:\Music\albumart.jpg"`) DO ren "%%c" "folder.jpg"

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

The Fold posted:

I've been trying to find an app that doesn't require me to download adware at the same time to do this all evening...

What I want to be able to do is enter a search term for google images and have the resulting images downloaded for me. My reasoning behind this is I was trying to show my girlfriend a load of the 'motivational posters' but obviously having to click through each result took a while.

I'm not even sure if something like this is even possible but I thought I'd ask :)
I'll take this. I've actually got it almost done, but there's some cleanup I probably won't get to until tomorrow.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

The Fold posted:

I've been trying to find an app that doesn't require me to download adware at the same time to do this all evening...

What I want to be able to do is enter a search term for google images and have the resulting images downloaded for me. My reasoning behind this is I was trying to show my girlfriend a load of the 'motivational posters' but obviously having to click through each result took a while.

I'm not even sure if something like this is even possible but I thought I'd ask :)
Here you go. This was a nifty idea so it made for a fun project! :)

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Google_Image_Getter

Only has a single worker thread so it isn't the fastest downloader in the world. Requires latest .NET probably.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

BikeThief posted:

I'm looking for a way to reposition the start bar, based on screen resolution. Basically, when my tablet pc is in landscape, I prefer the bar to be on the bottom, but when in portrait, it's easier to get to the bar at the top.

An app to assist with this would stay in the tray, waiting for a resolution change. When the specific resolution is activated, the program moves the start bar to one of the four positions.

Sort of what I'm envisioning:

link: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213063761
I was taking a look at this and ran across this quote from a moderator on the MSDN forums:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2086164&SiteID=1

Eliot - MSFT posted:

After doing some thorough research, I am afraid that there does not seem to be a way to programatically change the location of the taskbar. The taskbar is a user set control. As such, good user experience dictates that a user-set control, well, stay where the user leaves it and in the same state.

There is some detection about the taskbar that you can do and have your application react to whether the computer is orientated to landscape or portrait and where the taskbar is located.

...so it doesn't sound like it is possible, at least easily. If anyone does know of a way I'd be interested in hearing.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

kapinga posted:

I'm no programmer (in this context), but doesn't the last statement of your quote say that what BikeThief wants can be done:

I know BikeThief suggested doing it by resolution, but I'm sure there would be other ways to do it.
Detecting the resolution I can do. What the quote says is you can detect information about the taskbar and move your application accordingly...not the taskbar.

BikeThief posted:

:( That's depressing. It'd really make start bar stuff nicer to use on a tablet. Ah well...

Edit: looking around in the googles, i did find this http://www.gamedev.net/community/fo...topic_id=494273 The people in there are talking about grabbing a handle to the xp task bar using FindWindow and then moving it yourself.
Hmm, that's more encouraging. I'll take a look.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Praxton posted:

I'd really love a small notepad like application that writes from right-to-left with a font that has mirrored letters. Always on top and minimizes to system tray would be a plus also.

Quick concept pic:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213816466
Can I ask what in the world this would be used for?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Praxton posted:

Ok, but the answer is kind of stupid. I've always wrote mirrored in notes to myself or in my journal. For some reason it's much easier for me to write and read that way. I just want to be able to do the same when I make notes on my computer :(
Haha, actually that's kinda cool. I wish I could write in mirrored text.

I *think* this will actually be pretty easy, I'll pick it up later today or tonight.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

Haha, actually that's kinda cool. I wish I could write in mirrored text.

I *think* this will actually be pretty easy, I'll pick it up later today or tonight.
Unfortunately, it seems textbox controls don't support mirroring. :( I'll keep playing with it, but no promises.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Pensive Goat posted:

Behold, the magic of WPF!

This was my first experiment with WPF but it seems to be pretty easy to perform transformations on controls. Most of the trouble will be hooking up a menu for opening, saving, etc.
Neat! I didn't even think of using WPF. Haven't gotten into it yet but obviously I need to at least start taking a look. Had no idea it could do that. :)

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

unleash the unicorn posted:

Tiny App request:

Some of you may know the Firefox extension called ReminderFox.

It lets you set alarms very easily and reminds you in time. It's pretty much the best calendar app I've ever used, simply because it's so easy and quick to punch in a new item.

Now if there were something that didn't need Firefox to run but instead sat in the tray, that would be great. A tea timer would be a nice addition.
And the whole thing would be absolutely perfect if it was connected to Google calendar (so the calendar is always backed up and accessible from different computers).

Basically I would like a TINY TINY version of Sunbird with the Google plugin that just sits in the tray and reminds me of stuff. (And is as easy to use as ReminderFox!)

This may sound stupid but honestly, who has Sunbird or Thunderbird+Lightning running all the time?
Huh. I've been wanting to play with the Google APIs for a little while now. I'll see where I can go with this (after a go out and grab a sixer :)).

edit: hope you like .NET

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 13, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

A Perturbed Parrot posted:

Could any goon code a simple wallpaper changer that does the following :

- Choose a random image from a specified directory and assign it as wallpaper
- Close itself

By running it at startup this could provide an easy way of swapping wallpapers without having an extra process running all the time.
Here you go:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/Wallpaperer.exe

It creates an empty text file called config.txt in the same directory it's run from. Just put whatever directories you want it to pull from in the file (one directory entry per line) and then run the app!

If it hits a non-image file it won't do anything so just run it again if that happens (or make sure the only files in your target directories are images).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Death's Head posted:

How does it handle multiple desktops and how does it place the image? centered? Stretched?
It just changes the background image. The current setting for things such as tile or stretch or background color will simply be used for the new image. It won't set a different image for each monitor if that's what you're thinking, but it should work just like choosing a background from inside the Display Properties -> Desktop tab.

• Locked thread