Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yim
Feb 12, 2004
I TURNED 20 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STINKING CUSTOM TITLE
I loved the last thread, such a good idea. I don't think I still use any of the apps, but it reminded me I should get back into VB.net when I finish my placement job and get back to uni.

I have a (hopefully) small request.

If anyone is able to create a little program that can rename a group of files. I'm hoping to use this for tv episodes that I've downloaded. eg. Renaming them from any naming format into something easier to follow.

For example, I'd start up the program, and fill in the TV shows name and the season number. Then I could either select the folder with all the .avi files inside it, or drag and drop all the files into the window.

I guess when all the files are loaded into the program, it would try to sort them in episode order, 01-22 or whatever automatically (probably hard to do since there would be two sets of numbers in the file names usually, season# and episode#), but it'd still need the ability to move files up and down the list. (So ordered from first episode of the season to last)

And then once they are in order, a click of a button to rename them to whatever Name and Season I'd entered at the start. The naming scheme would be something like: 'Lost - 01x01 - EpName.avi', 'Lost - 01x02 - EpName.avi', etc. Then, because each episode has a different name, hopefully it would be possible to rename them easily, or even somehow pull episode names from a TV.com url or something, but that's probably going too far, i'm sure I can copy text over fine once the rest of the process is a bit more automated...

Yikes, that's alot of text, I guess it mightn't be as simple as I'd thought, but it might be something a few people would be interested in.

Thanks to anyone who takes up the challange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yim
Feb 12, 2004

Twon posted:

I took a whack at this:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/TVRenamer

It looks like you won't be posting for a while, but here's hoping it's useful anyway. If you know any C#, you might be better off customizing it rather than using it straight-up. Episode names are manual.

Sorry about the late thanks, silly probation on my behalf. :(

Anyway, this works great, currently don't have the time to play around with it, but seriously good work. :)

I did think of one thing that'll probably cause problems, for example, if you only have the 2nd half of a season or only select files, then the numbers would have to start at a different point from 01. But I'll hopefully check out the code over the holidays when I have free time. Thanks again. :)

Neurozys posted:

I've been doing some research on this one as well. As far as I can tell the only decent source for TV episode lists the doesn't involve scraping a website is the plain text data provided by IMDB. I'm going to look at your code and see if I can manage to automatically fill in the episode titles if that data set is available.

I'm not sure if it's because I don't have time to really play around with this, but I couldn't get this part to work for some reason.

Yim
Feb 12, 2004

Neurozys posted:

Instructions

Awesome, I thought I was doing it right. Just didn't have the TV shows I was searching for. :)

Thanks again, will be used very regularly. :)

• Locked thread