Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.

blahz posted:

To explain it a bit better, I was wanting to catalogue all my DVD's.

I believe I have this filled based on your description.

Try http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ReadDrive

Let me know if you'd like changes or a real user interface. It could be done, but I was going for something light here.

Edit: Also, I only tested it on a few dozen files totaling roughly 80MB. It took about 30 seconds to catalog that, so I'm sure it's wasting time somewhere. If I get more time soon I'll try and clean it up.

More Edit: On that note, I'm pretty sure it's being caused at least partially by my file size retrieving method, which is pretty hacked together I think. Anybody got pointers on doing that better/faster?

Edit again: Nevermind, I'd an idiot. I've got it to where 7950 files takes about 2 minutes now.

Revelations fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Neurozys posted:

ideas on how to make the site more useable?

If there isn't one I just can't find, it'd be cool to add a download count on the filled requests/applications pages. Other than that I got nothin.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Neurozys posted:

Well, I had to write my own, but here we are three hours later with a download counter! Everything started out at 0, begining today. Sorry, but there was no way for me to get old download information, except possibly going through a month's work of server logs, which I'm not even sure exist, much less that I would have access to them.

You're awesome, thanks. Now I can stroke my ego when people download my code!

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

blahz posted:

Oh wow, I forgot about this thread due to finals, so sorry for the late reply. I appreciate you making the program, but for some reason the download link doesn't work :(. Could you possibly reupload it? Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that, looks like tinyappz automatically capitalizes the first letter of uploaded file names, so my link was wrong. Works for me now, give it a shot.

FlyingCheese posted:

I would love to see a VU meter that was nice and simple, resizable, and looked appealing.

I've been doing a bit of work on this, but some details would be nice. You want it to monitor a single channel, or a stream, or a port(mic, line in, etc)? You want the characteristic VU meter delay of roughly 300ms, right? I can't very well just default the first available sound channel, would you like to be able to select one(could run more than one meter this way) or have it default to the first active stream it can find? I haven't started on the "visually appealing" part yet, so if you have an example of your usual screen layout I can try to design it to fit in.

It's a fun project so far, learning a lot since I don't work with audio at my job.

Revelations fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 2, 2007

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

I want it to monitor the output to the speakers, the way a traditional mixer would be.

I know it sounds kind of like a big project but it would be awesome.

Give it some time, I'm working on this when I can catch a couple spare minutes. Thanks for the input, that'll help direct my efforts some.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

blahz posted:

Hey Relevations, I messed around with the program and I just had one problem. It doesn't seem to be doing any sort of linebreaking, so the output is kind of scrunched together. Besides that, the formatting seems perfect and it works great! Thanks :)

This is kinda interesting. I'm using the \n character for linebreaks, which I believe is translated differently with different text editors/OSes. I thought that using this character would sort it automatically... I wonder if this is because I compiled it on a Linux box?

For kicks, can you try importing one of the output files into Word or OpenOffice where it will allow you to select the linebreak character? I just imported one I created on Windows XP and used the LF character only as the linebreak and it worked.

As for a permanent fix, anybody have a better suggestion than force feeding it CRLF? This results in double spacing in some editors.

Re-Edit: I got un-lazy and just did a check for Windows, and outputs accordingly. Hopefully that fixes it for you. Also Notepad still sucks and even with CRLF in Windows still shows long lines. Wordpad seems to suck significantly less, however.

Revelations fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/DirTree

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ReadDrive

This also satisfies the requirements I believe. One user wanted the current username added to the file descriptions, is that an option anyone still wants?

• Locked thread