Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm going to be embarking on a CCNA course with a company who will provide me with 'lab kit' which comprises of:

quote:

2 x Cisco 2610 routers with a WIC1T interface each & 2 x Cisco Catalyst 2900 switches + all the necessary cables

I know bugger all about Cisco hardware, how does one actually access the interface for these devices to program them? Is it via SSH or something? I'm assuming whatever it is will be OS independent?

I'm planning to get them to send me the hardware before I start the course so I can have a fiddle in advance. I'll probably want to do it with my Macbook.

I don't see these two devices listed on the Cisco site, so I'm assuming they're slightly outdated. Will they still be alright for learning/practising on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm currently using a Linksys WAG200G ADSL2+ router, but it's limited to 20 individual ports forwarded and 10 ranges forwarded. This isn't really enough and it can't load DD-WRT or Tomato.

I have just signed up for a CCNA course and as part of the deal I got 2x Catalyst 2600 routers to practice on and then keep. What I'm wondering is whether once I've done the course, I could use them at home. An explanation:

My ISP is Be and it's an ADSL2+ implementation. They also provide you with a 'BeBox', which in my case is a rebranded Thomson ADSL2+ router. The interface is absolute wank. However I have been told that it can be used purely as a modem or bridge, with another router actually managing the port forwarding, QoS, etc.

Do you know if this Cisco router that I have would be suitable for that? Would I be able to map as many ports as I like? Would it run a DHCP server too? Excuse my ignorance but I haven't started the course yet and I only know the theory behind different protocols and bugger all about the practicalities of actual hardware!

I know I'd lose the wireless connectivity but that's not a problem as I have an access point lying around.

...Or would the hassle involved with setting up the Cisco router for home use not be worth the £30 I'd save by not buying a WRT54G?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Excuse a newbie question, but I'm new to Cisco. I'm about to start a CCNA and I have the lab pack that they gave me to use. It came with a serial to RJ45 console cable. Do USB to RJ45 console cables exist?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

heresy posted:

Not to my knowledge. You'll need a USB to RS232/DB9 converter. Google, they're all over the place and don't cost much.

I have actually got one, not tried it yet. I just thought USB might be easier or something. Mostly out of interest anyway.

In the CCNA manual I have it mentions using Tera Term to connect to the switch I have. Is there an equivalent for Mac? It's not a big deal because I do have Bootcamped Windows on there too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I managed to get my switch's console on Windows using Tera Term. I couldn't work out what to do with minicom as it was the source that I found (and I'm not too familiar with this sort of stuff), I had a go with ZTerm and couldn't figure out how to get it to connect - I did enter the settings as specified in the manual but nothing happened.

I'll just proceed with using Tera Term on Windows unless one of the instructors when I start the course can figure out how to get it going on OS X.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

markus876 posted:

I use ZTerm and a Keyspan USA-19HS on OS X all the time. Really, the only setting you have to change in ZTerm is baud rate to 9600, and you should start seeing output.

Could it be anything to do with it having settings for a number to dial and a username/password (which I haven't set yet and didn't enter when I used Tera Term)? Or is there some sort of 'connect' menu item I have to select before it will connect?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

markus876 posted:

I just did a test here. I launched ZTerm, choose the Keyspan device to connect to, and then went to the Settings -> Connection menu item, which brings up the connection settings window. I leave everything as is (blank) including phone number, etc., as none of that is useful for this. The only thing I change is the Data Rate from the default of 38400 to 9600, and hit "ok".

I start ZTerm (the device 'usbserial' is already selected from before) and it displayed 'xxxx' on the screen. I go to connection preferences and change from 38400 to 9600, leaving other settings as they are - service name 'Local', 8N1, local echo disabled and Xon/Xoff still checked. I click okay and it returns me to the screen with 'xxxx' on it. I checked in modem preferences and 'usbserial' is selected. The initialise string is 'ATE1 V1^M'.

I tried unchecking Xon/Xoff and it has the same effect.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ionn posted:

You could have strange cabling between the usb-serial dongle and the Cisco device.

Try connecting pin 2 and 3 of your serial port on the usb dongle (with a bent staple or something). If the serial device thingy works, you should see what you're typing on the screen (2 and 3 are send and recieve, which will just echo things back to yourself). If that doesn't work, there might be something wrong with the serial adapter. If that does work, you probably have the wrong console cable.

Before I try these suggestions, would it be safe to assume that everything is okay with the serial adapter and the console cable if it works fine on Windows? I don't know but I think I said before that I can get it working just fine using Tera Term in Windows, with exactly the same hardware.

Would that then suggest that the problem is with the OS X drivers?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I suppose I will give up for now. The adapter I have is bollocks, the manufacturer thought it would be wise to include OS X drivers on an 8cm CD when the vast majority of OS X machines would be unable to load such a disc reliably. I'm gonna just wait until I start the course and see if an instructor can figure this out and if not it's not too much of a chore to reboot into Windows.

Thanks for all the help.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm in a CCNA class and currently working with a 2600 router. Part of the class involves password recovery/overriding and getting to the rommon> prompt by pressing break during boot.

I'm using ZTerm on OS X 10.5.4 and it seems it won't send break properly. I have tried the shortcut command + B, and tried clicking on the menu item (my instructor did too, so I assume it's not my timing that is the problem) but neither of them cause it to bypass the normal booting procedure.

Can anyone help please?

Also if anyone can let me know what program (from Cydia on 2.0) I'd use to telnet to my devices from my iPhone I'd be very grateful.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In preparation for my CCNA exam I'm running through some exercises on PacketTracer. I have noticed some odd behaviour and wondered if it's normal.

Say I've got a simple network that goes:

PC1 - switch - router - router - router - switch - PC2

And I've set up RIP properly. I try pinging from PC1 to PC to via CLI and it doesn't work. I then think "why doesn't this work?" and do the normal troubleshooting pings to each step in between, starting at PC1, moving towards PC2 and they all work. I then get to PC2 and do it again and it works - just only after I have pinged every step in between.

Does anyone know why this is? Is this to encourage thorough troubleshooting or something? Or is it some feature of networking I'm overlooking.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The switches are just layer 2 and acting in the simplest capacity - no VLANs, just plug and play.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the RIP overlap? Is that a router taking information from too many sources or something?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Okie dokie I will do that the next time it crops up - unfortunately I can't remember which simulation I was running when I last encountered it but it's not an urgent issue for me anyway.

Next enquiry:

I'm currently using a Linksys WAG200G to connect to my ISP and to organise port forwarding and so on. The problem is this device can only forward 20 ports and I may need more than that soon.

Mainly out of interest (because I probably don't have the cash right now), is there any Cisco device I could replace it with? I would use the box my ISP provides to connect (it's poo poo as a router, but fine in bridge mode) and I could use an access point to deal with wifi - that's not to say I'd rule out any with wifi. I'd use the router (which would just need 2 ethernet interfaces really) to forward ports, maybe deal with QoS and maybe (eventually - once I'm done with the certification) some inter-VLAN routing one day.

I don't mind ebay/second hand suggestions. Let me know if I've not been specific enough with requirements.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That sounds ideal, thanks. I would be looking for something that ran IOS just because. I think I'll have to wait for a deal to come up though because here (UK) they're £200+ new and I haven't seen any second hand.

Edit: Just figured I'd tack this on - what does SDM stand for in this context? Is it 'Security Device Manager'? I searched acronymfinder and that's what it came up with but obviously it doesn't do contexts. Previously I'd known it to mean Space Division Multiplexing.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 12, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Okie dokie next question!

I'm making a small network to practice on PacketTracer. I have been using 2621XM routers running IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(28). I've got a few running OSPF and that's all working fine and now I'm introducing another section that runs EIGRP.

My problem is this: I'm trying to get one to redistribute the OSPF data to EIGRP - it has both protocols but when I go into EIGRP 100 the redistribute command isn't there. The running config can be found here: http://pastebin.com/f2470dea0

Is redistribution not supported with that version or something? I know in the classes I did we were using 12.3(11 I think).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ahh bummer, I'm on 4.1. Thanks very much for the info.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a college degree and will hopefully have a CCNA and I'm afraid no one will employ me because I don't have experience. I'd be ecstatic to earn more than £20,000 given my situation.

As for Powercrazy's question about switches I am confused - do the simulators not implement a full features set or something? I am using VLANs in my current simulation. I'd be ecstatic to get a job with no experience full stop. It seems like such a catch 22, everyone wants experience and so you can't get experience.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 15, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I passed my CCNA exam on Tuesday. I was given a score report that told me to go to cisco.com/go/certifications/login. I went there, clicked to create a new account, entered my name and my registration ID. It brought me to a page where I had to confirm my details were correct, which I did.

Now, when I log in using the details I set up, I get the option to have them send out a certification pack including a certificate and a card. I can't remember if it said that one was already sent out when I confirmed my details...

Does anyone know if a certification pack is sent out when you confirm your details? Or do I need to get one sent out myself?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This isn't a Cisco specific question, but I figured this was the better place to ask as it's certainly not a home networking question. Today I heard that an AS that mainly consumes content (like a consumer ISP) can be called an eyeball network, and that the opposite has another name, which I have since forgotten. What's the opposite of an eyeball network?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oh. That was much simpler than I expected, thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend a good source to learn about BGP from the ground up? Most of the things I find are for reference, rather than establishing an understanding (as seems to be the case for so many technologies!).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Powercrazy posted:

The RFCs?

Specifically:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1771.txt

The wiki article on BGP is helpful as well.

If you want practice setting up BGP then you can use GNS or real hardware, juniper, cisco, foundry, etc. and play with BGP there.

Thanks. I will get a chance to practice with real hardware, just thought I'd like to get a decent grounding in the interim.

Martytoof posted:

I picked up the O'Reilly BGP book by Iljitsch Van Beijnum. I haven't had time to do much but skim it, but it seems like it would be what you're after if you want a good guide and looks to be Cisco-centric inasmuch as it gives you IOS commands.

I believe we have this at work, I will see if I can borrow it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good Cisco or internetworking IRC channel? I like to lurk and absorb knowledge.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It seems like my only dips into this thread are for book or learning resource recommendations. With that in mind, I'm now starting to do a bit of stuff with optics. Can anyone recommend a good book to get to grips with the fundamentals and the concepts involved please? I have a basic practical grounding, but I'd like to know more.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know much about it and I'm not responsible for it - I'm just interested. Our company uses TACACS+ for access control to our networking hardware. It was suggested to me that we wouldn't be able to give people enable access on switches but not on routers. Is this the case? Is there any way we can provide device-based permissions as opposed to only global privilege level permissions? Am I making sense?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I set up BGP from scratch for the first time on a 3750 and established a session with our 7600. I am aware that the 3750 can only accept around 20k routes, so what would have happened if we weren't advertising a default route from the 7600 and instead advertised everything it knew of?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This was my first time setting up BGP from scratch so these suggestions are appreciated. I will add an import policy like the one above tomorrow. Whilst we control both sides at the moment, I can imagine there's still a chance of someone making a mistake later on and taking the customer offline because of it.

In other news, we're about to buy a shitload more Cisco core hardware so we need to get more people certified with them. I thought "oh great, the company will pay for my CCNP" but it turns out it's only loving sales and other useless certs that we need. This means that yesterday my near-CCIE-level friend was sent to do an exam on which one of the questions was:

"What wireless technology specifies a data rate of 54Mbps and a range of 150 feet?"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cisco's site is hard to navigate. Is there a 1u switch with more than 2 but fewer than 24 10GE SFP+ ports available does anyone know? Doesn't need layer 3 stuff.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 21, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've posted in here because our backbone is all Cisco and I don't know where else to ask. I'm looking for a book on IS-IS and I wondered if anyone can recommend one I can easily get in the UK. The only thing I've really found so far is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete---Routing-Protocol/dp/1852338229/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325692057&sr=1-10

Any suggestions?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

tortilla_chip posted:

http://www.amazon.com/OSPF-Choosing-Large-Scale-Networks/dp/0321168798

This is a good book, especially if you already have a background in OSPF.

That sounds good, I did know some OSPF from when I did my CCNA but in my company we rarely use it so it would be nice to brush up.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm learning about IS-IS, MPLS and LDP using GNS3 with emulated 7200s. I've set up a small topology of 4 devices, got IS-IS set up on all of them, then went to enable LDP. I found that unless I manually set the LDP router-id to the device's loopback LDP wouldn't talk on some links properly. The only way I got it to work was by doing 'mpls ldp router-id lo0 force'.

I gather this is related to the device having routes to its peers over the correct interfaces. My question is is this the way it's meant to be done? Or is there another way I should be solving this problem?

Second question:

Is there a way to format a CF card from rommon mode in a 6500 series with a sup720? I'm not sure if I'm being specific enough, but it's a potential problem I encountered today. Googling shows a thread where someone asks the same thing and someone says "yes, but why would you want to" without saying how to do it. I ask because today on some test gear we encountered a magic number error but didn't have another, booted 6500 to format the card - only 7600s.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

We've got a combination of bits we've been trying:

7606 chassis
6506 chassis
3x sup720
6708 blade

I've found that with any of the supervisors in the 6500, the 6708 works in any slot. With one of the supervisors in the 7600, plugging the 6708 into any slot powers the chassis off - so I assume that supervisor is bad. With either of the other 2 supervisors the 6708 works fine in any slot of the 7600 EXCEPT slot 1 - in that it gives ASIC-DUMP errors.

I believe this is using 12.2 SXJ.

Does anyone know why it would have these errors in just one of the slots? Where does this suggest the error lies? Sorry if there aren't enough details, I'm the one who's got this job because I need to learn about the hardware.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I included the powering off bit in case it was of use - unfortunately we got rid of that supervisor today. It only exhibited that powering off problem when I plugged the 6708 in - the entire chassis powered off, not just the line card. So we assume that is a bad supervisor.

Since we got rid of that supervisor it still leaves us with the problem about slot 1 though. I wasn't involved with the previous tests, but I believe that it exhibited a similar problem in several slots of another 7606 too - I am not certain if it was several slots though or just the top 1. Sorry, I know it's nebulous.

Also, 6704s work fine in the top slot. Unfortunately we don't have another 6708 to test with as they've had to be put into production.

Basically it seems like we have data that simultaneously seems to suggest one of several things:

1. That it's a problem with that particular chassis (but it had the problem in another, too - and we sent the chassis off, the repair people couldn't find anything wrong with it at all)
2. That it's a problem with that line card (but it works fine in the 6500)
3. That it's a problem with 7600s (but why?)

It was briefly suggested that it may be related to the version of rommon, but I don't know anything about that to suggest whether that's plausible or not.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

tortilla_chip posted:

Can you take a look at the backplane of the 7600 with a flashlight? We once had an issue where the pins on the backplane were bent, and killed any linecard insterted in that particular slot. Fun TAC case.

We inspected the last 7600 and it was fine, I'll inspect this one tomorrow. If this problem hadn't happened in the last 7600 chassis and was only happening in this one then I wouldn't even bother checking - I'd just assume it was this. But I suppose it is possible that they were bent in both.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've done some more testing on my problem and this is what I've found:

We can get other blades (6704, a couple of different gigE blades) working in slot 1 of our 7600. As soon as the 6708 is plugged into any other slot, the blade in slot 1 crashed giving the errors mentioned before. However, the 6708 will still work in the other slot at this point.

Edit: We've sent the 6708 off for repair.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know how much you'd get things for, but for cheap 10GE setups we've been using Dell 8024Fs, 24 SFP+ ports and 16MB buffers. Performance wise they do as well for access stuff as Brocade TurboIrons (cost us around 1.5x as much) but the interface is a tad funky. By which I mean unintuitive.

Dell makes lots of switches and by god, almost every one has different command syntax.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

markus876 posted:

Request the /22 (or whatever size block you need to give you enough /24s for your sites) with a single ASN - From what you are describing I don't see why you would need different ASNs, and getting a single larger block is more flexible in the future than separate /24s.

From my reading it was possible that each of these colo customers could be paying for management/consultancy, but operating as their own entity. An example would be one of our clients who wanted to set up shop, but needed to work with us to get their ASN and PI block. I suppose the deciding factor would be whether these customers may want to take their IPs elsewhere in the future.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Powercrazy posted:

If you can get it go with provider independent addresses. A single /22 that you can divide into /24's should be sufficient.

Even though IPv4 space is "exhausted," I didn't have a problem getting 2 /20's when I was setting up our Global Datacenters.

I don't know if it's different between RIPE and ARIN, but with RIPE at least I think this wouldn't fly, since you can't sub-assign PI space.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Powercrazy posted:

You can sub-divide to a /24 unless there is something else you are referring to?

We may be at crossed purposes here, if you're speaking technically then yes, of course. However I mean with regards to following the procedure of registration of the space with the RIR - we have some PI space and we are not 'allowed' to sub-assign it to our customers, it can only be used in blocks for devices owned by our company, or individual IPs can be assigned to customer devices. In this situation it wouldn't be in line with RIPE's rules (as I say, I dunno about ARIN) to sub-assign it into /24s for separate customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It sounds fine then. I'm always told that ARIN are way more relaxed than RIPE anyway, I just don't know in exactly what ways.