Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Does anyone know how the expiration of the old CCNA tests is going to work? Like, if I take and pass the Intro test before it expires, but fail/don't take the ICND test until after the old test expires, does the previous test still count, and you can just take the new ICND 2 test and still get your CCNA? Someone told me you could split the tests, old and new, and still be ok, but I don't know how sure he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I've been Googling around for like an hour today, and I can't find an answer how to do this. I need to enable a dial-peer to send DTMF via INFO, not in-band or rfc2833. According to a few docs on cisco.com you can do it, but it doesn't actually tell you HOW to do it, and there's no other options in the help menu other than rtp-nte, or proprietary/h245 poo poo. We're running IOS 12.3(22). Any ideas?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Posted this up in the Asterisk thread because I forgot this one was here. Anyone know what's going on?

We use a Cisco 5300 media gateway in our lab. We have a T1 coming into it from our test phones/faxes, and it spits out SIP to our core switches. We seem to intermittently have a problem with it puking all over the T38 fax training. It will spit out A5A5A5A5 in the payload of the training (should be all 0s), until it stops, goes to long training, does the same thing, etc etc until the call fails. I've tried raising the fax speed, lowering it, but it still doesn't work. Then it randomly goes away. We've replaced both the Audiocodes and the Cisco, so it's gotta be an IOS issue, but I've only been able to find one other person on the internet that has had the problem. Thing is, it's happening on some 12.2 version, as well as 12.3(16) and 12.3(22). Has anyone experienced it and know how to fix it? Any specific IOS that fixes it?

Click here for the full 717x512 image.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Hey guys. This is kind of niche, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I work for a VoIP wholesale company that has grown to the point of needing to come into the 20th century and start using an SBC on all of our customer-facing SIP transactions. And actually, we'll possibly use it for our vendor-facing transactions as well. Basically, we're using Sonus GSXes as our core, and need a high availability SBC solution that will get us down to one customer-facing IP. We're only going to be using these as a SIP proxy to hunt between 7 Sonus switches on the back end. We've looked at several possibilities, but we feel they don't fit what we're looking for for various reasons.

We had heard that Cisco has a newer product out that can and as an HA, high performance SIP proxy. We'd be looking at at least 1000 calls per second now, possibly to 1500 or more in the future. I think it's called a GSR? ASR? I can't remember what it was now. Does anyone know anything about these things? We were looking a bit at them, but nothing in the documentation we found were able to tell us any top-end stats about what its performance was.

Any other suggestions would be sweet too, not just limited to Cisco. We've looked at Freeswitch, OpenSBC, Sonus SBC, Acme Packet, and maybe a couple others, and for once reason or another, these won't work for us. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Interesting, thanks for the reply. Not sure if we'd looked at OpenSIPS, but I'll mention it at work tomorrow. I know we've had some bad experiences with Freeswitch, which I think has soured our taste for open source, to be honest.

How well does OpenSIPS allow for failover between two nodes? As in, do they trade call states between the boxes in case one fails, the other will take over seamlessly? How well does the backup handle the failover? Freeswitch doesn't save states between nodes, so once one node goes down, the other will take over and doesn't know poo poo about the calls that are currently up. Plus, it takes 2-4 minutes for the Sophia processes or whatever to kick in, so there's several minutes of either no response or 503s back to the customer. Do you know of any organizations that handle paid support, or is it all community based/hack it together yourself?

And believe me, we know all about customers who can't do more than one or two IPs. Unfortunately, it's more the people who can't route past us on a 503, and have to continue to route to all of our switches until they exhaust all of our GSXes. That's primarily what we're trying to solve.

And for the Sonus all-in-one, that's what I meant when I said the Sonus SBC. We had the sales engineers in a couple weeks back, and it looks pretty slick, but yeah, they're not cheap. A node runs right around the same price as a full-blown GSX setup, but I'm not sure if that was the price for just the GSX+cards or GSX/PSX/DSI, etc. Either way, it's expensive. Plus, they're going to be putting out the 1.1 version of code soon, which allows each node to talk to each other, so they really aren't even fully-functional in a large production environment yet.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. If anyone else has suggestions I'll take them, and I'll definately hit you up, FatCow, if we have any questions. :)

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Do you guys find the ONS 15454 platform to be flaky as gently caress? We've got a couple out and about, and between chassis randomly blowing up (literally... one caught fire as it was powered up), cards being flaky and not coming up, and poo poo like that. I just set up an ONS in a lab with a couple OC12 cards and a couple DS3 cards, and half the chassis slots don't work. I suspect it's a TCC2P card on that side not working, but I don't know if that's how they work, 1 TCC2P per side? I'm going to gently caress with it more tomorrow. I guess they do well enough once we get them going, but holy poo poo, until they're racked and pushing traffic, we don't know what's going to happen with them.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Yeah, I guess I'm just kind of whining. We've got 6 of them deployed right now that have been pretty solid for the last couple years doing all kinds of hosed up muxing/demuxing for our poo poo. I guess I'm just kind of annoyed that I had to spend half of last week with XO with a couple DS3 outages and an OC12 outage due to failed hardware on their side. I guess we just need to test the gently caress out of everything before we send it out because until it's actually in production, we don't know what we're going to get.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone have any test sets they're trying to get rid of? We're looking for a T-berd with a DS3 module. We have an ACTERNA HST-3000C at one of our sites, so it doesn't need to be a "real" T-berd, but something along those lines.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone have a lot of experience with the ONS 15454s? We're using a couple, and we had some problems with cards bouncing, and thought it was the chassis, so we swapped it out. I believe all the cards were removed and simply swapped to the other chassis (this was before I started working on them) and all circuit descriptions for the cross connects disappeared. Anything put in after that is there, but there's just huge swaths of missing circuit information. Does anyone know if there's a way to get them back? I was hoping maybe there was something in the database dump but it looks like it's binary or some other encoding. Any ideas how to get those back? We do have Smartnet, so I'll be opening a ticket, but hoping someone else experienced something like that and could give me some ideas what I'm going to be getting into.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

greatapoc posted:

If you're using CTC then you should just able to fully restore the database under the Maintenance tab. I just tried it on our test 454s and it worked.

EDIT: I take that back. It didn't work after all. Did a bit of digging and found an upgrade guide which suggests taking screenshots/writing down all that info. http://www.ciscosecure.net/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_0/upgrade/guide/454a90_upgrade.pdf

Unfortunately the chassis swap was done months ago, and nothing was saved, including a DB. Even if we had an old one, it'd be no good since we've added a ton of new cross connects anyway and that's not going to work adding them all back in. Thanks for checking though.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Went back a couple pages, but didn't find anything really helpful, other than Olive. Is there a Juniper device that's equivalent (price-wise) to a Cisco 25/2600 that I could gently caress around with the figure out what's going on? We're moving in a couple big Junipers for 10g/OCx termination, and I'd like to mess around with something to get more familiar with it that isn't in production. Is there something cheap out there that's easy to get on eBay that's not too expensive? I see most of the boxes on eBay are Netscreens, VPN devices, etc, but do those things have the same software as routers in them? Help me get one more thing for my lab to gently caress with!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
That's the default user/password for an ONS 15454. Don't know if they use it for anything else though.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
This question concerns interface errors. We've been having some issues with a couple interfaces getting input errors, usually only a couple a minute, and I haven't been able to track it down. No CRC or other errors, just input. Both interfaces are gig fiber SFPs, one going out to ISP for one of our IP uplinks, the other goes to an internal piece of equipment. I've talked to the ISP and they're not seeing any output errors, speed and duplex are correct. Settings from the Cisco to the internal equipment is fine as well. This is only happening on one Cisco in one city. Redundant links to the other Cisco aren't getting errors, and no other issues in other cities.

The Cisco is a 6506 with SFPs in slot 1. I've tried looking through Cisco troubleshooting docs, but I haven't really gotten anywhere. If it were dirty fiber or a bad port, we'd be getting CRC and other errors, wouldn't we? We haven't tried moving ports, because both are pretty heavily used and would cause some pretty heavy downtime even early AM if we messed with them. We also get very little input traffic on the ISP interface. The internal equipment interface is higher usage in/out.

Any ideas on what else to look for?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Input errors.

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 6000 bits/sec, 18 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 521977000 bits/sec, 340673 packets/sec
L2 Switched: ucast: 2273 pkt, 221465 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
L3 in Switched: ucast: 592337 pkt, 46276236 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
L3 out Switched: ucast: 1452292053 pkt, 280123836332 bytes mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
596050 packets input, 46578990 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 2584 broadcasts (0 IP multicast)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
152 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
1451819138 packets output, 280024647378 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

ragzilla posted:

show int <interface> counters errors

Port Align-Err FCS-Err Xmit-Err Rcv-Err UnderSize OutDiscards
Gi1/16 0 0 0 889 0 0

Port Single-Col Multi-Col Late-Col Excess-Col Carri-Sen Runts Giants
Gi1/16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Port SQETest-Err Deferred-Tx IntMacTx-Err IntMacRx-Err Symbol-Err
Gi1/16 0 0 0 0 0

I found this in reference to it, but I'm not really sure it pertains, since there's so little inbound traffic, the buffers shouldn't be filling up, obviously.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

ragzilla posted:

Flow control enabled and working? Depending on the card you're probably using shared buffers, so it could be another port on the ASIC group chewing up buffers (especially if you're going 1GbE->100MbE).

'show int <interface> capabilities' to see the ASIC group, iirc.

Here's the capabilities output:

GigabitEthernet1/16
Dot1x: yes
Model: WS-X6724-SFP
Type: 1000BaseSX
Speed: 1000
Duplex: full
Trunk encap. type: 802.1Q,ISL
Trunk mode: on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
Channel: yes
Broadcast suppression: percentage(0-100)
Flowcontrol: rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(off,on,desired)
Membership: static
Fast Start: yes
QOS scheduling: rx-(1q8t), tx-(1p3q8t)
CoS rewrite: yes
ToS rewrite: yes
Inline power: no
SPAN: source/destination
UDLD yes
Link Debounce: yes
Link Debounce Time: yes
Ports on ASIC: 13-24
Port-Security: yes

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone use ONS 15454s with Sonus GSXes? We're in the middle of upgrading our GSXes, which requires reboots. Problem is this causes random T1s to go out of service on the oubound DS3s to the GSX. If we bounce the T1s on the Sonus side, they don't come up, but if I bounce the T1s on the ONS (by switching from ESF to unframed back to ESF) the T1 comes back up. I had a ticket open with TAC but since they don't have any GSXes kicking around they couldn't test it, but it definitely seems to be an issue on the ONS side. Anyone run into these problems? We're running 9.2.1 code on the ONSes, and upgrading to 7.3 code on the GSXes (which doesn't really matter, because we had an issue with one, which required another reboot after the software was upgraded, and still had T1s going out of service, so it wasn't the upgrade specifically).

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

FatCow posted:

Yeah I have a bunch of GSXs with DS3s that run run to 454s. We don't see any of those problems though. Are you using transmux cards on the 454s? We only do DS3 muxing on our 454s currently and I don't remember having problems on the few circuits we had delivered as VT1.5s that were run through transmux cards. I wouldn't discount it being on the Sonus side. A few revs ago if a DS3 was out of service for more than a few hours we had to OOS/DIS/ENAB/IS it to get it to come back up.

We're on 4.1 I think for the 454s (Whatever the latest you can run on a TCC+) and a special build of 7.3.2 because Sonus is worse than Cisco when it comes to branching their code.

[e]
Sonus interprets RAI and shows it as "YELLOWALARM". Not sure what it does with the transmit side though. Sounds like a great excuse to bust out a T-BERD though and see what the hell is going on.

We come in on OCx, then send STS over to a DS3XM12, then send the T1s over VT1.5 to another XM12 so we can bundle more T1s together into a single DS3 port, since Sonus can't do port density better than 3 per card. Not sure what that's called, I'm kinda new at the whole ONS thing. But we're running TCC2Ps with XC-VXC-10g cross connect cards. It's just annoying because our PSTN GSXes coming up have 70 or 70 trunk groups on them, which we have to bounce (because they seem to be in service but when you make calls over them the GSX is killing the calls) and then I have to reset a shitload of T1s across 20 or 30 DS3s. Meh. Oh, well. Hopefully we don't have to go rebooting GSXes again any time soon...

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone have any experience with the ONS 15454 M6 chassis? I'm doing some research to see if it'll work at a new, small site, but everything I see isn't exactly clear. It says all the old cards will work (other than control cards), and I assume that means the XC-VXC-10g and DS3XM12s (I know it doesn't have BNC ports on it, all we're doing is bringing x DS3s in, and muxing the T1s into an OC3 to bring to another site, and I think XM12 is the easiest way to do it)? Has anyone had any problems with them? Any stability issues? It seems to be a fairly new product (~2 years) so I haven't been able to find a whole lot on it other than on Cisco's site.

Panthrax fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2011

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone interested in a Juniper SRX210h-POE? I'm pretty sure it's pretty much brand new. I took it out and powered it up to make sure it worked. I am getting a minor alarm light on the front, but I'm not seeing any errors or alarms in the logs or the show commands, so I'm assuming you get that when there's no config on it? Not sure. If there's anything you want me to check I can. I can also put it up in SA-Mart if you want to make it all official and stuff. Let me know!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I know there's a couple ONS guys in here, and hopefully someone has seen this before. Our Smartnet expired and it's going to probably take 2 or 3 more days for the renewal to go through before I can get a ticket open with Cisco, so here I am.

I was able to log into the node when it was here, we shipped it to the site, and now I can't log into it. Here's the text I'll enter for the Cisco ticket:

We have a node that we are unable to log into. When we type the username and password into CTC, we get a couple different error messages: "A failure occurred during IOR Repository Initialization. Please wait. CTC will try again." or "A failure occurred during User Authentication. Please wait. CTC will try again." In either case, we hit the OK button, and it tries over and over again until we give up. It seems to be the correct user/password, because when we put the wrong ones in, it immediately kicks you out and you have to put the user/password in again, so I suspect I'm entering the correct credentials.

We have tried pulling the active TCC2P card and failing to standby, but same issue happened. Tried power cycling the shelf, same thing.

Any ideas?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

ragzilla posted:

Trashed your CTC cache yet?

Just tried, same thing.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
If anyone is curious, my ONS problems are due to a firewall issue at my office. Another guy tried it from a different office, and he can get in through CTC. So... blah. Now I have to try to get VPN access to that network so I can bypass our firewall. Yay!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Posted this in the certification thread, but figure I'll post it here too since I haven't heard anything over there.

Anyone have any guesses on when Cisco will be refreshing the CCNP? I need to renew my NA in the next year, so I should get cracking on it. I see the official Cisco cert library was released in early 2010. Is there any rumblings how how often they refresh and screw me out of $100 in books? I can probably take the CCNA Voice in the meantime since that book was put out about 6 months ago, and I don't expect it to be obsoleted for awhile. Ideas?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone need some old ONS cards?

12x DS3XM6
5x XC
4x TCC

Note these are original TCC and XC, not TCCP or TCC2P or XC10g or anything like that.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Looking for a solid answer to this. Opened a ticket with Cisco to RMA the fan try in my ONS 15454, and at first he told me they're not hot-swappable, then he told me they were. I've been trolling the internet and I can't find anything that says specifically whether they are or not hot swap, and I don't want schedule a maintenance without knowing whether I need to deal with downtime. I can't imagine it's NOT hot swap, but there's nothing anywhere that I can find that says it is.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

FatCow posted:

They are hot swap. IIRC you have somewhere from 30s-2min to get the new one in.

Excellent. What happens if you wait too long? Just overheat issues? We need to use the datacenter remote hands, so I'm not sure how quick they'll be. This one's not decked out, just XC, TCC, and a couple OCx cards, so I imagine it shouldn't be generating too much heat.

Thanks guys.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
While we're talking recommendations... What do people use for circuit inventory? Everything from OCx, ds3, t1, metro e, 10gig etc. We have incomplete spreadsheets all over the place and we've been trying to get in house Dev to fix the tools we have but at this point its been years so I doubt it's going to happen. What do y'all use?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone ever see this before? We've been having alarms for the last week or so complaining that one of the power supplies has had a failure. Shipped a new PS, and was going to have it put in, when the other PS started alarming. And both are alarming at the same time. 0 watts available. But... it's online! Weird. 7606, running an old-rear end IOS 12.2(33)SRB3 and year and a half uptime. We're afraid of rebooting the thing, and obviously don't think swapping out power supplies will help. Backplane issue? IOS bug? Or is this stuff controlled on the supervisors and replacement/switch will fix? A brief Googling hasn't brought up much.

May 27 12:30:39.031 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSREDUNDANTBOTHSUPPLY: in power-redundancy mode, system is operating on both power supplies.
May 27 12:32:33.131 EDT: %OIR-SP-6-PWRFAILURE: Module 2 is being disabled due to power convertor failure 0x8
May 27 12:32:33.163 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 2 output failed.
May 27 12:32:33.179 EDT: %SNMP-5-CHASSISALARM: Chassis Alarm Trap: tmpAlarm(OFF), minorAlarm(ON), and/or majorAlarm(OFF)
May 27 12:32:33.163 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSREDUNDANTONESUPPLY: in power-redundancy mode, system is operating on one power supply.
May 27 12:33:29.196 EDT: %OIR-SP-6-PWRFAILURE: Module 1 is being disabled due to power convertor failure 0x9
May 27 12:33:29.228 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 1 output failed.
May 27 12:33:29.228 EDT: %C6K_POWER-SP-4-GLITCH: Recovered from glitch in system power supply.
May 27 12:42:31.511 EDT: %SNMP-5-CHASSISALARM: Chassis Alarm Trap: tmpAlarm(OFF), minorAlarm(OFF), and/or majorAlarm(OFF)
May 27 12:42:31.459 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSOK: power supply 1 turned on.
May 27 12:42:31.479 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSOK: power supply 2 turned on.
May 27 12:42:31.499 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSREDUNDANTBOTHSUPPLY: in power-redundancy mode, system is operating on both power supplies.

router#sh power
system power redundancy mode = redundant
system power redundancy operationally = non-redundant
system power total = 0 Watt
system power used = 1467.48 Watts (34.94 Amps @ 42V)
system power available = 0 Watt
Power-Capacity PS-Fan Output Oper
PS Type Watts A @42V Status Status State
---- ------------------ ------- ------ ------ ------ -----
1 PWR-2700-AC 2669.10 63.55 - - off
2 PWR-2700-AC 2669.10 63.55 - - off
Pwr-Allocated Oper
Fan Type Watts A @42V State
---- ------------------ ------- ------ -----
1 FAN-MOD-6HS 180.18 4.29 OK
Pwr-Requested Pwr-Allocated Admin Oper
Slot Card-Type Watts A @42V Watts A @42V State State
---- ------------------ ------- ------ ------- ------ ----- -----
1 7600-SIP-200 240.24 5.72 240.24 5.72 on on
2 WS-X6548-GE-TX 125.16 2.98 125.16 2.98 on on
3 7600-SIP-400 265.02 6.31 265.02 6.31 on on
5 WS-SUP720-3BXL 328.44 7.82 328.44 7.82 on on
6 WS-SUP720-3BXL 328.44 7.82 328.44 7.82 on on

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Today I'd like to talk about service contracts. We've got enough Cisco and Juniper gear that real support through those guys would cost at least a million dollars. As much as I'd like to get real Smartnet and Juniper support, it ain't going to happen. I've gotten quotes from a couple third party places with 4 hour replacement, in-house support, etc for $140k for Cisco, and ~$150k for Juniper. I'm hoping I can get that pushed through. But, in general, how do you guys handle support? Third parties (who do you use?) Spares on-site (how do you handle software support)?

Basically, I want to get my poo poo covered (or re-covered, we had support for a year, then let it lapse, etc) but I'm not going to be able to spend $$megabux. Any suggestions?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Both our Cisco and Juniper contracts are tied to individual serial numbers, whether it's per chassis (covering every line card within) or per chassis + each line card independently.

Interesting, I didn't know they could have contracts that include the entire chassis, not just each individual line card as well. Any idea what the cost different between specifically stating Full Chassis vs. Chassis + line card? I imagine it's more expensive to go with full chassis, since they have no idea what kind of random stuff could be in there?

And looking at the quote I got from this third party, they added their own prices, as well as Smartnet. There's a lot of stuff on there that is EOL and can't be covered by Cisco, so I guess the $650k would be a lot more, normally. For instance, all of our ciscos have SUP720-3b/3bxls. How do you get those covered? Do real companies actually buy new sups/line cards every time they go EOL and support can't be bought?

And if you do get that "Full chassis" smartnet, do they ignore any problems with hardware that is outside of support and tell you to replace it and have to wait 24+ hours to ship one anyway?

What a goddamn headache.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

It's not an option you get to pick really, sorry I wasn't more clear. It's something the vendors started transitioning from/to.

Gotcha, and it makes sense, like you said dead/grey market I can see being pretty abusive.

quote:

SUP720-3B/3BXLS maybe EOS, but EOL on the hardware and software isn't for a few years because they know that companies won't do upgrades just because they no longer sell the product new. They still have to support RMA beyond the EOS date by a good bit in order to provide room for upgrades.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eol_c51-697975.html

Last HW support date is Jan 2018.

Right, but nothing is currently under contract, and as of Jan 2014, you can't do new contracts on the 3b/3bxl.

Thanks for the responses, they're very helpful!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone have an old ACS 4.2.0 appliance DVD laying around? We need to do a password recovery for the CLI, which you apparently need the disc for, but can't find the thing. Or if anyone knows where to get one fairly inexpensively that'd work too.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone have suggestions on solutions for capturing and saving network traffic for future analysis? We'd like to have a pretty interface (even ugly is probably fine) and able to do ladder diagrams, pull RTP, DTMF, etc. Mostly revolving around voice, and high throughput. We're currently demoing Network Insturments' Gigastore platform, and we're pushing almost 10gbps from our voice platform. We're able to store just a shade more than a day on the 48tb storage, and it takes a pretty long time for it to pull the data we're looking for, since it's trying to write the 10gbps to disk while also searching for the data we want. We're demoing the 96tb version, but I don't think it's faring much better.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

FatCow posted:

We've been down this road. Unless you're ready to drop 2mil and install a hundred taps just don't even bother wasting your time. Today we store SIP for ~5 days in a home grown mysql/PCAP solution. We can get RTP from our SBCs on demand. Dropping the RTP requirement from the probe solution lowers the price significantly. If you want to talk more about what we went through PM me, it's too trivial to find out who I work for to post more info on our setup. That and we're likely customers of each other. :v:

Customer ops has been begging for media captures, but at the prices/effort level we've seen so far it's cheaper to just tell them to hire someone to pull traces.

e:

Are you OT LLC? currently dba someone else.

Yep, we are customers of each other. Traded a pm or two about who we work for awhile ago. :-)

Unfortunately price is definitely a concern. We're probably not going to drop 50 grand on something let alone a few hundred thousand and I'm pretty sure the CEO would have a coronary at 1mil+. Maybe look to roll our own but don't know how feasible that is. Right now we have a crappy on-demand using acls to grab the traffic we need without killing whatever box is capturing. We were trying to expand out, but at this point I don't think it's going to be worth it.

Thanks for the responses, all.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

wolrah posted:

If it's remote there's a way to tunnel tcpdump over SSH using FIFOs so you can store the capture locally even from a device on the other side of the planet. I do this all the time when troubleshooting my hosted customers and can go in to more detail if needed.

Ooh, this sounds sexy. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this info. If you don't want to put it here, you can email my username @ gmail. Thanks!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

wolrah posted:

It's all good, it's pretty simple between two *nix boxes.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to try this soon.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I tried those things, but unfortunately when dealing with an SFP interface JunOS doesn't even acknowledge the interface exists unless there is an Optic in it. I'm wondering if there is a "pre-populate" configuration command or something that will let you apply configurations to a phantom interface.

If you set a description on the interface, it'll show in your 'sh int desc' and give you your admin down status even without a transceiver. At least it does on the MX series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

The use of plastic packing ties over zip ties puts it past a hell ive imagined before.

They found a fastener less convenient than but just as pita to remove as zip ties

It's probably not plastic, it's likely waxed string. That poo poo is used by the mile.

I was in a meet me room in 111 8th Ave and it was basically that picture but single mode fiber. And one of them was my oc48 they they hosed up the cross connect on. Craziness.