Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Has anyone taken the new Advanced Wireless exam yet (642-587 AWLANFE)? The exam was just updated last month, Test King released their new revision but it doesnt cover most of what is on the test. I also went through all of the test materials on the partner E-learning center and that doesnt seem to be up with the material on the new test either....Any recommendations for other places to look?

(I have to pass the exam for work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

delslo posted:

I am in the process of upgrading my home/home office network and I have a thing for good equipment and slight 'overkill.' I was looking at the Pix 501 since I've deployed a few of them. While looking I came across the ASA 5505 and it appears to have a lot of kick rear end features/specs. Also looking in that price range at other entry level "small office" firewalls and none seem to compare (I won't touch the low end watchguards, also not a fan of sonicwall). That said, Has anyone had much experience with the ASA 5505 (or I guess the 5510)? Does it perform well for what it is? Any issues/problems with it?

Thanks!

I have extensive experience with the ASA series of firewalls and the 5505 is great for small offices or home offices which require VPN concentration. My only complaint on the 5505 vs the 5510 are the licensing restrictions (only 3 vlans, 1 of those can only be used to make an interface management only). The 5505 is also great if you plan on having PoE phone devices, the one problem is that the 5505 will NOT terminate a site-to-site VPN unless you are using another ASA. 5510 is also a good choice but more suitable for a medium size office or if you require hardware IPS.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

delslo posted:

^^ Thanks. none of those restrictions are important to me, so I should be OK. Also, pardon my n00bness, but the 10 user licenses refer to concurrent VPN connections, not devices/users accessing the internets at the same time? If that is how it works, how well does it handle the licenses? The only other concern is how stable the intel/OS X cisco VPN client is these days.

Correct, that refers to concurrent connection restrictions over VPN. The only restriction you would encounter from a devices/users perspective would be the bandwidth restrictions (150Mb/s if I remember correctly on the 5505). The Cisco VPN client on a Microsoft OS is the most stable VPN I have ever used, connections will last for days without any problems and I have never encountered any problems with the client crashing or any weird issues. I have never used the OSX client so unfortunately I cannot speak of that. With ASA 8.0 they are going to be pushing out a new type of VPN client, I haven't played with it yet but it could be interesting.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Mr. Fossey posted:

I am looking to overhaul our firewall/VPN situation (as in we don't have one other than a W2K3 box serving pptp connections). It is one main office going through a cisco 1720 with a dozen servers and 100 users. Also we have 6 remote offices that we would like to have site to site vpn access that have no more than 20 users. We will also need mobile VPN for ~25 uses via radius or AD LDAP auth. I am leaning towards the ASA5510 w/ ASA5505s at the remote site.

I have no ASA experience but I'm not terribly worried for myself but I am concerned if I keeled over there is nobody else here who does networking. Is the GUI for the ASAs good enough a general computer person could operate them or would watchguard, checkpoint, sonicwall, etc have a better solution?

The other thing I would like to do is put in vlans due to the CFD cluster we are going to be building shortly. While having a semi-decent gui takes precedence it would be nice.

My suggestion, but this can be done in multiple ways.
5510 at the main branch
2821 or 2851 at main branch for site-to-site termination
871s at each remote branch

You can run 5505s at the remote branches but you will need a much beefier ASA at the main branch if you are going to be terminating that many connections to one device. Cost will be higher but security will be tighter. Also, if I remember correctly you cannot run multiple VLANS over a site-to-site VPN with the 5505, which is why I recommend using the 871s or even 2811s, especially if you ever plan on running voice at the remote sites.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Tremblay posted:

For home they are fine, and hey worst case he just spent $20 to have equipment to learn on.

Or 200 dollars on Ebay.

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Sorry to cross-post but I figured this thread would be the most appropriate. The company I look for is looking to hire a couple of network engineers. If any of you are interested check out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2603757. I have received multiple responses from the thread and have one interview set up for later this week, hoping to hear from more people.

Thanks!

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Random question if someone has ever encountered this. I am doing a PIX 6.x migration to ASA and am familiar with the process. But I need to upgrade the memory in the PIX before I can convert the config to 7.x and migrate it to the ASA.

The PIX is a 515 UR model, with 64MB of memory now. Kind of short term since I am doing the upgrade tomorrow but cannot find spec memory(PC100 64MB). Has anyone tested memory other than spec on a PIX 515? I am trying to use a 128MB stick of PC100 but have no way of testing until I get onsite. Do I need to go nuts and try to find a 64MB stick or will the 128MB stick register as 64MB and work just fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

ragzilla posted:

It's essentially just a PC, so the 128MB stick should work, but you won't be able to put the cover back on unless you found the elusive super-low profile DIMM that the PIXes seem to need.

Only need it temporarily so cover is not an issue. My only concern is the fact that it is a "purpose built" motherboard and I wasn't sure on how flexible it would be.