Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.
I'm looking for a 100mbit cheapish Cisco that can hook up a cable modem. I'm looking at the 804's(edit those are ISDN, i mean the 831's) the 1720s (i think thats the model at least), and the 2500's with a CSU/DSU, or WAN or what have you (would that even work?).

I see the 2500's going for like 30 bucks shipped on ebay with a CSU/DSU (but not a DSU/WAN card, which is what i need for a cable modem, right?) From what I gather the 804's/1720s can do that out of the box? Does the 851w have a little brother that's cheap used perhaps. Doesn't really need to have wifi.

I'm not looking for anything complicated as hell, just something that'd be rock solid stable for AIM and the like. My linksys regularly craps the bed, especially in the summer heat (I turn off the AC when I go to work.) and it's a huge pain in the rear end to come back to AIM dead. I used to get like 25 days online time easy before I started torrenting so I think (read: probably is, since this didnt happen before i used torrents regularly) that might be the cause.

So primarily i want stability. My friend suggested I route with my bsd box, but 1) it's an old machine and any power variance (even a tenth of a second) ends up rebooting it and loving it up. Yeah, I could get a UPS, but hey. He also suggested a buffalo hp-54, but all those firmware hacks make me uncomfortable, and it's also not guaranteed stability. I'm not sure if I'll find my perfect router fit though it in this price range.

Next up, I'd like QoS I'd like to limit torrents to say, 90 percent of the total bandwidth. Is there a way for Cisco's to assess maximum bandwidth on a cable modem? Say, 'within the last 24 hours, the max throughput on WAN was 9mbit down/1mbit up, so QoS everything but AIM to 8.5 mbit down/800kbit up), Sometimes my ISP bumps me up, so I'd like it to auto adjust, but that's probably asking too much. I pretty much want to limit all but AIM traffic to X percent (80/90) of the total bandwidth. Worse comes to worse I can manually adjust it.

Sometimes I transfer big files across the network, I'd like to get speed, but I don't want the router to crash because of it. Once again I want WAN traffic to remain untouched and guaranteed, if theres a way to guarantee processing power on WAN if necessary (i.e., if a 1720 will crash on WAN if both torrenting/AIM/transfering files across the network at 100mbit)

SNMP or something like FreeBSD's "bmon" in command prompt to realtime monitor bandwidth usage per port and maybe based on connection, would be nice but not necessary. Also VPN would be nice to gently caress around with (do those old cisco's even let you use the VPN client/how stable would it be. I read earlier in this thread that the ASA5510 is the most solid router for VPN some dudes ever used, but that's far out of my price range, as is the 851W or what have you.) None of these are even remotely necessary but would be nice.

Wow, that was long. Sorry if this was just one big rant, or if these are entirely noob questions. There's a cheap 831 that I'd like to get if you guys think it'd be satisfactory for the criteria i outlined.

wither fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU