Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

Catalyst question: Is there a way to get a list of all VLANs showing me which switch is acting as spantree root for each one? I've got hundreds of VLANs so going through each one individually isn't very desirable and I'd like to be able to see at a glance which ones need to be fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

Girdle Wax posted:

# show spanning-tree detail | inc (is executing the|Current root|We are)

gets the mac address of the root bridge, up to you to map mac addr->switch (tested on 3750, might need some changes for other platforms).
Edit: misunderstood you

Please hold, your call is important to us

Edit 2: Okay I'm not following you here. My routers (7507s/12.3(15a)) aren't letting me do a sh spanning-tree detail, I've got sh spanning-tree root and sh spanning-tree root address but both return blank lines.

The switch is a 5500 by the way (should have specified, sorry)

Google isn't much help either, I'm wondering if I'm just out of luck on this one

sirchode fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2007

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

EiZei posted:

The only logical explanation I can think of is that theyre much more common in the US. Is this the case?
It's not that they're common, it's that they actually are still being used by places that see no reason to rip their network infrastructure out if it works perfectly. I've heard banks are a common culprit of this, but really I didn't mind the frame relay/ISDN stuff in the CCNA. It gives you a good sense of where networking has come from and I guess I'm just fascinated easily.

It certainly wasn't a heavy focal point on my exam, I had two or three virtual labs, a lot of questions on VTP, STP, OSI layers, routing protocols and a few on subnetting. If you get thrown a question on frame relay or ISDN, I wouldn't expect it to go very in-depth

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

jwh posted:

pseudowire-class pw1

[...]

xconnect 10.0.0.2 1 encapsulation l2tpv3 pw-class pw1
Mind explaining these two to me real quick? I've never seen them before and can't seem to find information in my books here

Also what's CER and PE

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

jwh posted:

I thought it was pretty cool stuff.
Thank you, that is indeed pretty awesome. We've got some offices on the other side of the country and I'm imagining having them set up as VLANs managed by our switches and routers over here in the CO, it's a very cool prospect.

What kind of equipment did you lab this with? I've never heard of pseudowire so I'm wondering if I'm just too nub to have known about it or if it's a relatively new thing (ie., introduced in a new IOS version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

Does anyone make use of NetFlow? Or run anything else that shows real-time info? We've got big bloaty monitoring servers going but I'd like to be able to have some more lightweight things that are more useful at a glance when something goes down. Like a couple instances of MTR and RTMT or whatever. I get the feeling you guys have a couple tools you'd probably swear by