Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

What are some good books on configuring VRRP and in general networking equipment?

I think I've come to the limit of my networking knowledge but at work I'm being tasked as a "network admin" on top of my normal duties, mainly because it's incredibly hard to find anyone worthwhile around here to interview. I'll explain my problem(s) so that you guys can point me to the resources (books, online courses etc.) to solve this.

I have the following equipment
2 3845 routers (with 16 port 10/100 etherswitch)
2 ASA 5520s
2 3750G switches

I have two ip subnets each with two physical uplinks an active and a backup that are basically just uplinks from different switches on the same vlan
123.123.123.0/24
123.123.124.0/24

Because we're having half of the network behind the firewalls and the other half in front of them they are split into the following subnets

1) 123.123.123.0/25 (dmz)
2) 123.123.123.128/25 (filtered by firewall)
3) 123.123.124.0/25 (dmz)
4) 123.123.124.128/25 (filtered by firewall)

Right now I have network 1 working properly, I also have network 2 assigned on the other side of the firewall and I'm using router 1 as a switch with a vlan for the filtered network and that works fine to distribute to my load balancers. I also have another vlan setup for network 3 and I am able to ping that interface.

The problem I'm having right now is getting network 4 to route to the firewall and filter through like network 2. I'm using the router as an L2 switch right now but that's what I'm used to so that's what I've been doing but I think how I'm doing it is fundamentally wrong.

Eventually I need to get router 1 and 2 working in an active/passive mode, so that if one router goes down the other will take over and vice versa. In addition to that I also have to have the firewall working in much the same way. What books, or resources are there out there for me to find out the best practices and apply this network. Currently it's going through one router, to one firewall, and out another interface to one device and then to the switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

jbusbysack posted:

Here's how I envision your physical cabling:

Use a L2 vlan to terminate the ISP handoffs into the switches, then out to the router (outside interface). Use a different L2 vlan to terminate the return-cabling (router inside interface) into the switches.

You can then run an HSRP (or VRRP) group on the router-inside interfaces since they can both talk on the same L2 vlan and send their heartbeats etc etc. That's just a simple interface-level command of:

standby (a_number) ip x.x.x.x
standby (a_number) priority (0-255)
standby (a_number) preempt

Post your interface configs for the firewall network that is working and the firewall network that is not, as well as the ports that connect to the firewall so we don't start running down the wrong path in troubleshooting.

The way I currently have it is the ISP terminating into the routers on an l2 vlan, there are 4 physical connections and I'm putting a link from each subnet on each router on its own vlan (2 links per router, "primary" and "secondary").

From there I plug them straight down to my ASAs, and from the ASAs I run a line back to each router which terminate on their own seperate vlans for my "filtered" network.

From that seperate vlan for the filtered I then go to my load balancers and to my switches which go to my servers, from my asa I also run a line directly to my switches but that's really only used to provide a gateway that's not the F5 and to manage the servers etc. over the VPN.

Here is a visio I threw together a while back explaining how I think it should be connected to provide the highest availability. I'll throw up some configs once I get in to work today.

If the ASAs had 6 ports instead of 4 I would have run one more blue one between the opposite switch and one more orange one between the opposite router but we'll have to live with this.

edit: this image was made for my boss to show the board, it's more pretty than anything but it does show our physical connections, and each different color is a separate vlan. Also I'm not asking anyone to solve this for me but to show me where I can find good resources to solve this myself, we're having some contractors come out but that's a few weeks out (scheduling etc.) and they want this done way before then.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 4, 2008

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I had a weird problem earlier today, not sure if anyone has run into it and knows why it might be happening.

I was setting up an ASA 5510 with an l2l vpn tunnel to some crappy checkpoint firewall and while it all looked good yesterday when I left (minus me forgetting to add access lists that allow access between the networks which I had planned to do today), today I come back and find that the connection between the two is broken.

running a 'show crypto isakmp sa' gave me something similar to...

code:
1   IKE Peer: 1.1.1.1 (this one is my working tunnel to the lab from my office)
    Type    : L2L             Role    : responder 
    Rekey   : no              State   : MM_ACTIVE 
2   IKE Peer: 2.2.2.2 (broken one this morning, now fixed)
    Rekey   : yes              State   : MM_ACTIVE_REKEY 
3   IKE Peer: 2.2.2.2 (broken one this morning, now fixed)
    Rekey   : no              State   : MM_REKEY_DONE_H2 
I'd never heard of or seen either MM_ACTIVE_REKEY or MM_REKEY_DONE_H2, seems like those would just be transitional states but they just stuck around for I guess the whole night. And in the log I kept seeing...

code:
%ASA-3-713902: Group = 2.2.2.2, IP = 2.2.2.2, Removing peer from peer table failed, no match!
%ASA-4-713903: Group = 2.2.2.2, IP = 2.2.2.2, Error: Unable to remove PeerTblEntry
google results implied it was a misconfiguration so I just redid/verified the configuration and also issued a 'vpn logoff tunnel-group 2.2.2.2' and that was able to get the error stopped and I guess everything else working.

This isn't something that requires high availability, but I would still like to figure out what could have caused the problem. If anyone has any clues it would be much appreciated.

edit: it's possible I had the transform-set wrong in the original config but I could have sworn it wasn't showing any problems yesterday.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Herv posted:

RANCID should do what you want. For hand storing multiple copies of documents you can use Visual Source Safe or CVS or some other version control system.

RANCID's Clogin is next to godly.

Another recommendation for RANCID, it's essentially a bunch of scripts that run with crontab and dump your configs into CVS or SVN. I have mine setup to be redundant so it'll keep all changes stored in a semi-fault tolerant way. It's great if you have more than one net admin, if any changes are made you're emailed and if it's wrong or stupid you can totally know about it and revert changes if you have to.

It also works with all kind of switches and network gear and it's free.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

My philosophy is to use whatever you know and like, and most importantly gets the job done on your desktop but for servers and services you use what makes sense for your environment. If you work for a company that has mostly windows servers try to keep things simple and the same. The more varied your environments the more you'll have to maintain in terms of updates, hot fixes and security.

I tend to let the developers or whoever dictate what kinds of systems they want to use for their servers and make suggestions based on what I know.

I would however suggest you at least be comfortable with BASH because more often than not you will eventually run into a device that is based on UNIX/Linux/BSD (Load Balancers, DDoS Mitigators, NetFlow Appliances, etc.).

Personally I use mainly OSX and sometimes Windows but I know plenty of net admins that use Linux only and Windows only.

Also as for something like RANCID for windows... I haven't really used many but I think SolarWinds has something but it costs money.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Partycat posted:

I have a vendor attempting to configure and send us an ASA 5510 . The idea was that we were going to have one interface on the device, publicly addressed (all our stuff is) . The device establishes a tunnel off to somewhere else, we route traffic to it internally for that range on the other end of the tunnel, it spits out the encrypted traffic towards the gateway, and it rolls over the internet.

On the reverse the tunneled traffic would be heading towards the public IP of the appliance, where it would be able to decrypt and find the remote destination, and forward the traffic again towards the gateway which would send it off wherever it needed to go.

At least, that is how I understood it to work, but now I'm being told it only functions if I have two interfaces with two addresses on two subnets, which seems like it isn't necessary.

I figure someone here may have encountered this and could tell me why either that won't work or why it owuld be a bad idea.

With VPNs you cannot have your peer address in the same subnet as the subnet you're tunneling. How is your firewall (and theirs) supposed to know to transport encrypted traffic over "itself"?

You always need an ip on a different subnet for your peer address. Usually it isn't a problem because the address space you're tunneling is usually an internal network but sometimes it isn't.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

So another little question. I'll start doing my own research into this, but some sage words from people that have been down this road already will probably save me hours with Google.

I explained to management that I heard some smart guys (this thread lol) used scripting, specifically bash scripting to automate tasks with Cisco devices. So I've been given time to look into this, I'd like to start out with what I hope will be a relatively simple project.

I want to write a script that will log into a 800 series router, copy the configuration to a text file or something and then log off. Being able to pass the script a bunch of parameters (like IP addresses of devices to connect to) would be good, particularly if I can keep these variables in a separate text file or something so other admins don't need to alter the script itself to get it working with new devices.

Following points to heed:
1) I have NO experience in bash at all. I used to be a programmer and am quite comfortable with other scripting languages like kix, basic and a bit of vbscript. Is there some good guides that will help me find my feet?
2) Any examples of similar script would help tremendously.
3) Obviously, I don't really know what I'm talking about with this! If I'm barking up the wrong tree and you've got a better way to do this, let me know!
4) I don't really use linux at all, I'm more comfortable in Windows. If bash is still the awesome way to go about this, I guess I could run a linux virtual machine on my windows box or maybe install some Windows-based installable giving me bash access from my tard-box. Otherwise, what Windows-based scripting languages have guys used to do cool Cisco automation stuff?

Use RANCID if you want to save and version your running config.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

RANCID doesn't run in Windows. Maybe neither does bash, but I'd like to be able to write customized stuff anyway.

Well, http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/ answers one question..

In one environment I worked with we used to use perl to manage and monitor or switches, you can use Net::ssh::Perl, it's pretty drat easy. There is also Net::Telnet::Cisco which I think you can use with SSH but it's not "built in", I think the idea is that you spawn SSH and you direct your I/O to the SSH tty.

Perl works just fine under windows too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

J Crewl posted:

Can anyone tell me if anything in the 2800 series can terminate a T3 coax line? I know Cisco recommends a 3845, but funds are sparse for this project so I need to know if I should start looking at re-mans or old gen's, etc.

The NM-1A-T3/E3 fits in 2800 and 3800 series routers.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

falz posted:

The NM-1T3 is ~$2000 used? If money is an issue, get a PA-T3 or PA-2T3 (~$300 used) for a 7200. I see complete used 7206 VXR's w/ NPE-400 and PA-T3 cards for $2k on ebay, any reputable reseller will probably be in this ballpark. VXR's aren't EOL and will kick the snot out of a 2800. The only downside I see is that they're just physically larger (3u) vs 1-2u for a 2800.

Edit: I see that the NM-1A-T3 is much less than NM-1T3. Still recommending VXR.

If he doesn't need any of the ISR features a 7200 VXR is definitely the way to go.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

lilbean posted:

Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the ACE modules? I'm currently looking into building a new production environment for eCommerce and a pair of the standalone ACE 4710 devices look like it'll do a ton of poo poo I need - OWASP-compliant scanning (gently caress PCI), SSL termination, load balancing, etc. Plus it's vastly cheaper than the F5 BigIP line I'm using now.

I evaluated the ACE a while back, we went with F5 because of some application dependencies that relied on SIP header rewrites. Since then we've solved our application dependency and moved to Netscaler as opposed to F5 or ACE, but feature wise I think the ACE works almost as well as the Netscaler.

In the past I've used the CSS and while it worked it could have used more features, the same goes for the ACE. The Netscaler however has pretty much all the features as the F5, including "global" load balancing but missing the ability to rewrite SIP headers and iRules. It depends on what you want feature wise but if all you need is some basic load balancing and maybe SSL offload the ACE should fit you just fine.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good MacOS serial capable terminal emulator? I have a USB-serial dongle that I can talk to using 'screen', but somehow that always comes off feeling like a pretty inelegant solution.

Edit: I guess I should have asked in the Mac software thread, but maybe there are other Cisco junkies that also enjoy Macs v:)v

I exclusively use minicom for all my terminal needs, all my cisco, hp, force10 and other random serial devices get configured using minicom. It's much nicer than running hyperterminal under windows (though I use putty when I only have windows), it's like using telnet or ssh.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Telnet just kicks back a generic could not open connection error and putty says "server unexpectedly closed network connection". It works fine on my boss's laptop(64 bit win seven, same hardware). The asa is configured for allow telnet and ssh connections from my subnet. ASDM doens't work either, but that's probably a version/java issue.

I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and use the XP machine to read some debugging logs with ASDM.

edit: telnet works. I screwed up the config on the asa for that. SSH still doesn't seem to want to work though.

does SSH work from your boss's laptop?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I have a VPN setup on a pair of 3845s and I can't seem to get it to work correctly.

I have two vlans, one external (vlan11) and one internal (vlan200) I am trying to make traffic coming from the internal vlan traverse the VPN tunnel that is on the external vlan.

code:
interface Vlan11
 description externalvlan11
 ip address 1.1.1.162 255.255.255.248
 standby 11 ip 1.1.1.161
 standby 11 priority 105
 standby 11 name vlan11VIP
 standby 11 track FastEthernet1/0
 standby 11 track FastEthernet1/1
 crypto map vlan11vpn redundancy vlan11VIP stateful

interface Vlan200
 description internalvlan200
 ip address 192.168.97.4 255.255.255.0
 standby 12 ip 192.168.97.3
 standby 12 priority 105
 standby 12 name vlan200VIP
 standby 12 track FastEthernet1/0
 standby 12 track FastEthernet1/1
the access-list for the vlan11vpn crypto map is this

code:
access-list 102 permit ip 192.168.97.0 0.0.0.255 host 3.3.3.100
access-list 102 permit ip 192.168.97.0 0.0.0.255 host 3.3.4.100
This was the first non working configuration, I couldn't ping either ip over the VPN. I added a couple routes and everything seemed to work and I could reach the other side of the VPN.

code:
ip route 3.3.3.100 255.255.255.255 Vlan11
ip route 3.3.4.100 255.255.255.255 Vlan11
When I added these same routes to the secondary 3845 it seems to cause about 50% packet loss to anything trying to traverse the VPN. I'm really at a loss, I'm not sure if this is even the right way to do it but I can't find any examples of the correct way.

Maybe I need to use a dynamic routing protocol? How would I even make that work since the VPN isn't an actual interface?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

inignot posted:

50% packet loss sounds really specific. When you added the static routes to point the relevant traffic into the VPN, was there a pre-existing set of routes you removed? If there's two sets of routes you may be load balancing between the vpn path and another path.
The only route I'm adding and deleting are the ones I showed, it's weird I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but when testing it it seems to lose every other packet if I have that same route in my second router.

But just now I added the routes back to the second router and it seems to be working fine without packet loss, I have no idea why...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I have a question about setting up SPAN/Port Mirroring. I understand I can do the port mirror with these commands.

code:
monitor session 1 source interface fastEthernet 0/5
monitor session 1 destination interface fastEthernet 0/6
That should take the traffic passing through fa0/5 and mirror it to fa0/6, right? If that's correct my only question now is how do I capture this data? I assume with wireshark but what IP would I put on the computer I'm capturing on? Do I have to configure an IP on fa0/6? What if the data is crossing the line on a VLAN?

I've never had to do this before but we're trying to solve an issue and it looks like the only way to do it is to analyze what's crossing the wire.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Wireshark will just do a dump of raw data that's coming in on the line, so I don't think an IP is even required. You just need to make sure the interface is up and in promiscuous mode.

I do my SPAN traces on a Mac laptop with no IP on the ethernet interface, so I can at least vouch that it works. I don't have any experience with doing multi VLAN traffic on a SPAN trace so that's a good question. I'll have to fire up the lab and try it for myself later. My first guess would be that since you're just mirroring ports there will be no indication of what packet is from what VLAN so you'll have to decipher that from the IP or something.

Thanks I'll give it a try, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a big piece of how to do this. I'm assuming if it's VLAN traffic I should just see the dot1q tag in wireshark.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bardlebee posted:

This is more of just a general network question:

Isn't it best practice, if you can to connect a switch to a router on a one per port basis.

What I mean is currently at my new position the old IT people that they had outsourced setup the network to where the router is connected to one switch and then the other two switches are daisy chained onto each other. So Switch1 goes to router, Switch2 is connected to Switch1, and Switch3 is connected to Switch2.

Wouldn't this create a lot of unnecessary network traffic? My cisco router that we just bought has 8 FastE ports on it, I would think it would be better from a network traffic point of view just to connect each one to a port. As in Router to Switch1, Router to Switch2, and Router to Switch3.

Perhaps someone with more experience in this field could tell me if this matters or not.

I try not to daisy chain just because if one of the switches in the chain is unplugged or goes down for whatever reason, you lose connectivity to everything connected to any of the switches after it.

I don't think daisy chaining switches causes extra network traffic though, it just goes through the normal switching process like anything else does.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BelDin posted:

I've been trying to wrap my head around HSRP, and had a question that is probably simpler than I can describe it.

I have two layer 3 switches set as distribution switches with etherchannel links going back to a core layer 3 switch. All switches are running EIGRP, and they have separate IP addresses running back to the core for redundancy. They also have links between each other for HSRP and redundant links to the access switches under them.

If I am running HSRP and one of the two are the active, that will prevent the standby switch from sending EIGRP advertisements back to the core, correct? I'm trying to determine if traffic will come back in the standby switch due to equal EIGRP route costs, as they would both have them in the routing tables.

I'm pretty sure that EIGRP is not affected by the state of HSRP. You should probably give one route a higher cost so that you know which switch is the active one.

edit: didn't notice the next page heh, beaten to death

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 15, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Are T1 interfaces full-duplex? I'm trying to figure out what our capacity is but serial interfaces don't seem to show duplex settings, I can't seem to find anywhere in the cisco documentation that says our specific T1/E1 vwics are full-duplex or not.

We're using VWIC-2MFT-E1, does anyone have any documentation that shows if this is full-duplex or some way to get that information out of the router?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

tortilla_chip posted:

They are full duplex in the sense that you have a dedicated send/receive pair.

I thought this was the case since the cable diagram shows seperate pairs for RX and TX but I can't seem to find any documentation that explains this. I'm trying to show my bosses what are capacity is but they don't seem to believe that T1s can have 1.5Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up simultaneously.

Is there any documentation that shows this anywhere?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

From the "bandwidth" section:

Here's another source:

Thanks, I've been searching for specific specs/information about our gear, hopefully this is good enough to make my case.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I have a VPN between a 3800 and an ASA, on the 3800 side I use HSRP and I terminate the VPN to the HSRP address.

The other day I changed the subnet on the interface from a /28 to a /29 and the VPN stopped working. After a few minutes I noticed that the SA was showing the interface IP instead of the HSRP address like it should. I cleared the SA several times but it didn't seem to want to go back to using the HSRP address. The way I fixed it was by removing the crypto map from the interface all together and then re-adding the exact same crypto map without making any changes. Why does changing the subnet cause the VPN to change IPs and why did the fix require removing and re-adding the exact same config?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

When you change interface settings, in this case changing the ip address from a /28 to a /29 it disassociates all crypto_maps from the interface. I suspect if you had checked your running config you would have seen that the crypto_map had been removed.

I checked the running config, it didn't remove the crypto map and RANCID doesn't show that it was removed. So it was pretty confusing to see the config looking alright but the actual VPN wasn't working properly.

I'll keep that in mind in the future though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ruro posted:

You'll find bugs all the time. If you're bleeding edge enough you'll be the one reporting them for the first time too!

Having worked a lot with F5 and Netscalers I've found at least a few new bugs for each platform. Netscaler has been really good about implementing fixes for me though, which is pretty awesome.

As far as Cisco I've only run into one weird buggy issue that I couldn't find info on and they gave me a work around after a few days of debugging (turning off cef on the interface, what?)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

What magical company do you work at?

I was going to say I have the exact opposite experience. Usually we're seen as a cost center because we just keep asking for more when what we have "already works". The best part is when something does fail we can tell them exactly why because we proposed a solution to prevent this kind of thing but they chose the cheaper route.

We just make the poo poo work, they don't see us as important unless things go wrong.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Let me just add something, if I already haven't said enough.

This isn't some magic place we're we always do the best IT. Often it's about getting in there, plugging holes as best as possible, billing the client for a shitload and then running. But internal IT does this too.

IT doesn't exist in a vacuum. IT exists to meet business goals, never forget this. Nerds would like unlimited budgets and time to make the best systems to stand back and pat each other on the back and admire their work, but that's because they're nerds and live in an alter-reality. Business just wants the goals met, with as little spent as possible because that is the definition of a business (a successful one).

That doesn't mean we can't get lovely when we're lead in a scenario like the car posted above, but when you bill them a couple of hundred bucks for each hour they waste like this you find the stop loving around pretty quickly. Or we just make millions and get paid accordingly, many the time I've yelled in frustration at a project manager about some bullshit and they've said 'if the client wants to be a human being, your job is to lube up'.

Honestly your job sounds terrible and you seem like kind of an idiot.

You don't need to be an IT mercenary to make a good living or enjoy working. The only part that really sucks about working as a service provider or internal IT is when you have to fight to justify some new expenses for a project to someone who doesn't understand the technology.

Unrelated to that, the corp IT guys at work are having trouble with some access points (dlink, not sure the model) and they asked me to take a look. The access points auth with 802.1X to a radius server (IAS) and then they get their DHCP lease from some other windows server. The problem I'm seeing is that the clients can auth but they aren't getting a DHCP lease, rebooting the AP seems to allow new DHCP leases but I don't think that's a viable solution.

What kind of access point should I suggest to replace these? I was looking at the aironet 3500 series, and I'm seeing them going for about 600 online. Do I just need the access points or is there more to it?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 16, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thanks for the input guys, I'll do some research on Aruba and Cisco WLC. With the little I've researched so far it looks like it should be pretty straight forward. I've never had to configure any wireless networks before so it should be fun.

Are there any specific models I should ask about for roughly 100 active clients?

Also yes I run wtfserve.com and I have it on my resume, I also didn't go to college and I don't have any certs. I do pretty well for myself and I like my work.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bardlebee posted:

So I have recently heard of F5 by hearing someone ask me if I had "F5 experience". I tried to figure out what it was from its product page, but is this something that is new to the network engineering field? Is it another product such like Juniper or Cisco?

It's just a load balancer, the big difference between all the platforms is that F5 supports "irules" which is basically just TCL script that lets you do fun stuff like header rewrites and traffic routing. They also have SSL/VPN devices and global DNS appliances.

If you want experience with the basics of F5 big-ip they offer a free VM you can use to evaluate it now which is pretty cool. Also I would suggest trying out the Citrix netscaler VM which is also free and allows something like 5Mbps of throughput for free.

I personally have a strong dislike for F5 because their support sucks and their iRules and features don't work exactly the same between all their different platforms. Also when I found bugs in their code they wanted us to pay for consulting to resolve the issue. As opposed to Citrix and Cisco, when I found bugs they gave me workarounds as well as escalation to developers who actually fixed the issues and patched them in their next release.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 24, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

jwh posted:

Hmm really? I have a handful of BIG-IP hardware with the LTM module and their support guys have been some of the best that I've worked with.

iRules can get squirrely, but they're immensely powerful. You can do just about anything with them.

I agree that iRules sound great and can be very useful but there are issues. We had some irules running in our lab environment which were working great, the problem happened when we deployed to our production LTMs. In production we run 6400s, in the lab we have a 1500. They were running the same code base and irules, everything was exactly the same except the IPs and the hardware but for some reason in the lab the irules worked flawlessly but in production it would do the SDP header rewrite at first and then stop doing it randomly, the only way to make it start working again was to reboot the LTMs.

F5 refused to even look at the issue without us paying for an irule contractor from them. I worked with the pre-sales engineer for weeks and with their phone support and they just couldn't help me out. Later we found out after probing them during those weeks that their hardware platforms executed different code depending on if hardware ASICs were available or not, clearly it wasn't working right and they never escalated it up to their development group or reported it as a bug. Also there were some just bad support issues, for example, we asked them to explain an issues relating to how IPs are NATing that I solved before they bothered to respond.

I hear the newer versions of the code fix a lot of these issues I had a couple years ago but netscaler just seems better to me. I would suggest learning both because one doesn't always have a choice.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ninja Rope posted:

A10's are the only LB's I actually kind of like. Brocade just can't get their poo poo together for IPv6.

I had a couple A10 boxes here to evaluate that I never had a chance to because we already paid for F5s. I also had a foundry load balancer that I also didn't get a chance to test out.

I really dig the netscalers but it might just be because I dislike F5 so much.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bardlebee posted:

Hey my gurus!

What is the difference between PVST+ and MST? Are they the same thing?

I was just recently looking into this since I'm taking over our corporate network and there's this white paper on cisco that explains things pretty well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cfc.shtml

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good netflow collector that I can use? Preferably free and that can run on linux if possible, definitely not stuck on any specific platform or price though.

Also it should support sflow since I've got some procurves in my network too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Rule number one to enjoying your network position. Make sure the network is a revenue generator, not a cost center. So offices of programmers, designers, Engineers etc, aren't where you want to be. Finance (algorithmic/low latency trading) or Service Providers (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) are the ideal places, and coincidentally the only places I'll work unless the pay elsewhere is really good (it won't be).

I just took over our corporate network because our old IT director basically just disappeared. I've got to say, only having experience working for datacenters and service providers, office networks are a pain in the rear end. Justifying any kind of cost is nearly impossible. Recently I wanted to justify replacing several servers that were over 6 years old with just a couple modern servers with virtualization and they treated it as though I were proposing a $250,000 network build out.

I've kind of given up on getting what I need, but I'll still explain why going the cheap route will cause issues. And when the cheap route does cause issues it's pretty easy for me to say "I told you so". Still sucks having to scramble to fix the problem after they approve my original proposal.

Edit: Another reason corporate networks suck is that I can't expect the regular IT people to be knowledgeable about anything. I installed some new switches to replace our mess of netgear unmanaged switches and now every time they have an issue that could be network related, they come and ask me if it could be an issue with the new network.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 10, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Here's one of those rare questions for you guys:

Can you format/move/use a CF card from a 2851 in a 7206VXR NPE-G2? I'm going to upgrade one of my NPE-G1's to a G2 this weekend and I wanted to prep the CF card in advance with the IOS image and config files ready to go. I just don't have another 7206 chassis laying around to play with. I do have some 2811s and 2851s though.

*edit* Looks like it doesn't work. The file systems on the cards are different.

You can format any compatible CF card in IOS, but I don't think you can just move and read files between a VXR and ISR

Look up the erase command to format a card.

edit: I guess if your goal is to pre-prep the CF card formatting won't help you out

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Did you type this on an Apple device? :haw:

He's gotta upgrade his routers to get the good apps man! Sucks that it resets the jailbreak though :(

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm having a weird issue with a new 2951 I'm setting up. In the past I've configured a bunch of 2851s and have used the NME switch modules and they show up no problem.

As some of you may know, the newer 2951 has "sm" ports so to use the NME-16ES-1G module I have to use a sm-nme adapater. When I boot up the 2951 I see the lights on the nme go on and I also can connect cables and get link, but the drat thing isn't showing up anywhere that I can see. For some strange reason it seems to just be creating a gig interface but none of the FE interfaces.

quote:

Cisco CISCO2951/K9 (revision 1.1) with 2054144K/43008K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ152421PS
4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 72 bits wide with parity enabled.
255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
4001760K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

anyone have any ideas?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tremblay posted:

Can you send me a show tech?

Looking at the show inventory I'm seeing the module and it automatically adds the line "hw-module sm 1" but it only adds an unusable gig interface instead of all the FE interfaces.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Which iOS are you running?

Is the NME-16ES-1G also brand new?

Every problem I've run into with this was either an iOS issue or hardware incompatibility.

I bought all of this new but the module could definitely be older.

edit:
Figured it out, I've never used a switch module like this one. It actually has it's own configuration separate from the router, it runs it's own IOS and everything. To access it form the CLI you have to assign an address to the gi1/0 interface that it creates and then you can access the cli using this command

service-module gi1/0 session

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 7, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

jbusbysack posted:

Really though, questions like that are about how you tackle the problem, which questions you ask and where you approach the troubleshooting.

I think this kind of stuff comes with experience. When I read the problem I immediately thought to check the arp table on the switches, but someone that's never had to actually troubleshoot these kinds of issues might not think to start there. Granted I don't think that it should take anyone who understands switching very long to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

abigserve posted:

In the context of that question, checking the arp tables on the router is a far more appropriate answer. It doesn't matter whether the router for the segment is a 3750G stack or an 1800, it's still the router.

Saying "check the arp tables on the switch" opens your answer up to interpretation - depending on how old-school the interviewer is this could be interpreted as "I do not understand the fundamentals of routing and switching".

Keep in mind that answer still isn't correct as it has nothing to do with whether two hosts on the same segment can ping each other.

In the context of the question we can probably assume the "firewall" supports both l2 and l3 and probably up to l7. You're being pedantic, should we call the firewall a switch because it does vlans?

The point is there are arp entries somewhere that could be pointing to the wrong system.

Edit: The question, to me, barely makes sense anyway. The questions starts with a firewall, but then goes into a question about vlans. In my eyes the simple question is "I moved the IP from one system to another and I can't reach it now". In my experience when I see a problem like that it's usually an issue with arp.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2011