Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I create RMAs for faulty Cisco equipment. If you think your hardware has failed, try these troubleshooting steps to confirm it.

• Reseat/Reset/Power cycle - physically pull the part out and put it back in or power on and off. Certain errors (coil for instance) will disappear after this.
• Move the faulty part to a different slot or chassis - if the part comes up, obviously the problem lies elsewhere.
• Check your IOS - sometimes is just this simple, make sure the IOS supports the product and upgrade if necessary.
• Use a spare - not everyone has them, but they can save your rear end and is pretty much the end all of troubleshooting. If the spare comes up then obviously there is a problem with the part that was replaced.
• Orange/Amber and Red LEDs = failure.

When you open a case with Cisco for a RMA, if you want fast results incude this information, because we're going to ask you for it anyways.

• Serial number(s) - for entitlement. Usually 11 characters long and starts with three letters. Some are numeric (Pixes usually start with an 8 or a 4).
• Part/model number (if you know it) - we can get part numbers from the serial number, or possibly (though not always) from a description of the part, but these aren't always correct. If you provide the part number then it eliminates the guessing and possibility of error.
• Description of the problem. This does not mean "Hardware Failure", "Part has failed", "Need RMA", etc. Include the symptoms and the troubleshooting you've performed. If you have orange/amber or red LEDs, include this fact.
• If you have error messages or diagnostics that blatantly states "Part has failed", capture the text and include it in the case. Not absolutely necessary, but it seals the deal.
• Where you want the replacement shipped and a site contact with phone number

Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I assume this means you work for Cisco?

We have a 6509 chassis sitting here with a shipping label on it. It has been here for nine (9) months now. We have tried on 3 seperate occasions to get Cisco to take it off our hands, but they never seem to schedule someone to pick it up. We've gone through all the right steps (we thought?) on the website. This chassis is our old dead-ish one that they shipped us an RMA replacement for after having no idea why it was breaking.

Kind sir, how do we get you guys to take it off our hands? It has been sitting there on its pallet for a long time, and has turned in to a table for our cache of 4948's.

On a similar note, I have a Sup720 with what is likely a bad flash card on it. How much of a PITA is it going to be to get this thing RMA'd? I have been having a bitch of a time navigating Cisco's website to figure out where I should actually be entering this RMA. I've found at least 2 places. We have a service contract with Cisco.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I lost the thread and only just found it. I'll have to bookmark this for any further questions.

About the 6509: There is usually a prepaid FedEx/UPS shipping label included with the RMA so you can just package the faulty chassis in the same box it was shipped, slap the label on it, then call the courier to pick it up.

If it didn't have a label, try going to https://www.cisco.com/go/logistics and entering the RMA number and it should guide you through to a printable label.

The third and probably best option is to get ahold of asset recovery (asset-recovery@cisco.com), tell them of your predicament, and they should be able to help you out. I'm surprised they haven't been hounding you for the last 9 months. Be sure to include the service request number (9 digits, starting with 605 or 604) and the RMA number (usually 8 digits starting with an 8).

Concerning the sup: Send an email to TAC@cisco.com, explain the problem in more than just a few words, include the chassis serial number for entitlement verification (Processor Board ID in Show Version output), list any troubleshooting you've performed (or just make it up I guess), then shipping and site contact information.

Unless its obvious, state what part you need. In this case, do you just need to replace the flash card, or is the slot on the sup not taking them?

That should be enough for any engineer that I work with to send out the replacement without question. Unless you want to talk with someone, then include as little information as possible and we'll all hate you for it :D

For a supervisor you would usually need to move over any RAM or flash to the replacement. But you can have certain OS's preloaded onto it before it ships, which would require that we order the extra mem and flash. Keep in mind that its against federal regulations to ship encrypted software so if you see a 'k9' anywhere in the IOS filename then your out of luck.

Edit: I should add that the most PITA you'll have is most likely in opening the ticket. Unless the engineer is an rear end, once you get to him/her its smooth sailing save for any entitlement issues.

Edit 2: A brief story. I got a case the other day, customer couldn't power on her router (FYI, don't use 'boot' to describe power failure). She wanted to replace the WICs and the router for this. This is a no-no. I try to explain to her why the WICs would not in any way kill her router, and even had her try to boot the router without the WICs to prove it. Needless to say, a few back and forth emails ensue until she hits me with this gem:

quote:

I cannot power on the router. This is definitely not a power failure.

She contacted her account manager and whined, I explained the situation to him, and he says hell no and I ship her the router only a day later. Yep, she wasted a whole day on those WICs she didn't need.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 29, 2007

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks for the info. :v: I had a nice long reply typed out and closed the tab. :downs:

The short summary is, as far as I can tell, the 6509 was shipped via a freight carrier or something. I'll have a look at it one of these days. We're happy to leave it sitting there forever.

I'll be certain to include all pertinent troubleshooting information. I didn't spend my time in technical support, or berating techs now that I'm a sysadmin, to go and make someone elses life hell. (Or waste my time with half-assed emails.) I'm not certain on the exact part that needs to be replaced, but I do know that 0x2142 was being ignored and my NVRAM contents were being loaded, which was corrupt. Fun times were had by all.

In this case, I would skip the part/model number, if your not sure, slap a 'Show Tech' attachment to the case, or if its not completing the boot process - just capture that, and let the engineer sort it out. Though, if its bad NVRAM I think the sup gets replaced. But don't take my word on that - theres no way I can memorize all the FRUable parts.

And, again, contact asset recovery. They're your best bet to sort out the chassis mess.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

conntrack posted:

Whats the deal on cisco parts listed "spare" in catalogs and poo poo.

They have a somewhat lower price but i guess there is some sort of licensing involved?

My rep just mumbled in to the phone when i brought it up.

I believe it means its refurbished.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

conntrack posted:

Sounds reasonable enought. Might hop on that bandwagon later on then.

Having a spare for important equipment is the best career/business decision you can make. Seriously, I've had people tell me how crucial a specific device is to their network, and with it dead they are losing "millions of dollars", and poo poo hits the fan with their coverage. I won't name names, but this has even happened with city utilities.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I've got a quick question, and this looks like the best place for it:

If I stack two switches, can I create a LAG from a port on each switch to two ports on a single switch?

I'm attempting to create a redundant connection that will cover both cable failure and switch failure, but will not limit our voice and data networks to a single 1GB link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

When you say "stack" do you mean something like Cisco's stackwise, or juniper's equivalent or whatever? If so, then yes, as logically the switch stack is 1 switch. If they are two independent switches, then no you can't.

Cisco would be nice, but it'd be Dell switches. But it should work just the same. Awesome, I love learning this stuff. Got to look into stacking the riser closet too.

Thanks!