Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm looking at a 2960G as the "backbone" for an iScsi HA cluster. What sort of configuration considerations should I have as far as VLANs go? Also, should I keep it isolated from the rest of the network, just have it connect via uplink, or have other non clustered servers on the switch as well? I'm worried about bandwidth issues on the switch.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=850884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

Doesn't look like the 2960 family can switch layer-3, although I could be looking at it wrong.

Does that mean I'm going to have issues VLANing with QoS?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I don't think I'll be doing any VLAN switching. The only QoS stuff I'm worried about is the cluster heart beat, and the cluster won't span past the device anyway. Thanks for the heads up though jwh.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

markus876 posted:

I have a 2960g here and confirm that it does not support any of the EMI images / layer-3 functionality.

Beyond that, any issues you have ran into with it?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Kudosx, I think Cisco just changed their CCNA course material, although to what extent I'm not sure. I'm sure someone here might be able to fill you in further or rebut what I said.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
code:
duplex mismatch discovered on GigabitEthernet0/1 
(not full duplex), with Switch GigabitEthernet0/1 (full duplex)
I'm trying the whole learn as I go thing. I've got a 2950 sitting on my desk I'm farting around with and I'm getting the error message above on the console. Are the two Gig0/1 ports on different switches all together?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Cheers. I checked the Gi0/1 interface and it was set to auto duplex which in turn put it as half duplex.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
How about some theory?

Lets say you have a stack of 2950s. They are all layer2. You want vlan2 to attach to some public kiosks for example. To be able to have those vlans extend beyond each device, you would want them trunked, correct?

2950 -trunk- 2950 -trunk- 2950

To further that, you have an http proxy server attached to vlan1. To be able to access that proxy server so your kiosks can have net access, you would then want that trunk to extend to a router which will have 2 interface cards? One on a vlan1 switchport, and one on a vlan2 switchport? And then from there, you can use ACLs to let only ports 80/8080 route through?

Do I have that all right or am I missing something?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

Yes, at least, that's one way of doing it. You're better off with a hierarchical distribution than a daisy-chain, but yes.

By that do you mean each switch has individual "home run" uplinks back to a "core" switch?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Money is always an issue, but only in terms of getting proper gear. I desperately need servers and we still run old cabletron chassis switches circa 1997 which need to be replaced. That continues to fall on deaf ears, but I guess that's a whole different thread!

We're pretty well sorted with cabling and we have our electrician who can pull cable anywhere it's physically possible. His only limitation is tipping fiber.

After reading your post, I'm wondering what the hell the designers of the network in our new K-5 school were thinking. They ran more cable in that building than we'll ever really need. But, they ran it to areas where we don't need it. There's no reason why they couldn't pull more fiber to the IDFs. Each closet has a 3650 for POE VOIP, and below that are 3-5 daisy chained 2950s. In hindsight, there's no need to daisy chain them when you're building brand new.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I have a question about spanning tree portfast. How many here make use of it, and where do you use it? As I understand it, I would want to use portfast on ports dedicated to end nodes only. Any sort of port that is linked to a switch in either direction shouldn't have portfast enabled. Am I right in this thinking?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm not quite following the difference between SNMP Inform and SNMP Trap in the context of a CAT 2950. What is the difference?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm having a strange issue here at work. For the second time in as many days part of our phone system has been almost unusable. It's a cisco VOIP system(call manager, unity vmail). We have two types of phones, this cisco 7960, and the 7905.

Through highly unscientific processes, I think I've determined that it's the voice vlan where this storm is occuring. The data vlan seems unaffected All the ports on all of our Cat 3960 switches, which provide the POE and obviously access to the phones, are blinking at a highly absurd rate. Phone quality is almost completely useless. Making a call itself works roughly 50% of the time. Pulling the uplink cable on every 3950 switch one at a time calms the switch itself down, but I haven't been able to do anything about the possible storm. The core switch is a 4506.

Here's the really strange part. Only the 7905 phones are showing symptoms, not the 7960s.

So I guess my question is, how do I go about calming this storm down? Do broadcast storms work with a head; in other words if I unhook the troubled node how fast does the storm subside? Could my core be causing the issue?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Would a rouge NIC possibly cause this? While I was trying to get this sorted, I couldn't remote to our Unity server. I could get into the call manager servers fine. I had to re-seat the patch cable and bounce the box to get it to talk on the network correctly. Once I did that, the storm seemed to subside. I'm not sure if that was the problem or if it was just a coincidence. But to answer your questions:

1. No, I haven't touched anything. As far as I can tell, nobody has added any hardware or done something like plug both ends of a patch cable into one switch.

2. All 7905 model phones. Intermixed 7960s work fine on the same switches.

3. It's pretty much, plug the uplink back into the switch, and within 5 seconds the ports go bonkers again. I noticed there is no convergence time though. I didn't put the switches in myself but I'm going to check the GBIC port configs to see if they have port fast enabled. If they do, could that be part of the problem?

Thanks for the heads up. If the issue continues, I'll give wireshark a whirl.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm hoping that I pinpointed the issue to the NIC in our Unity server acting up. I haven't heard anything since I bounced it.

We do have QOS enabled to favor the voice VLAN. I'm not sure on CDP. I'll have to double check the configs. I didn't install the gear myself. To be honest, I know enough to be dangerous with cisco gear at this point, but I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch!

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I need to do a "show tech" on about 40 devices ranging from Catalyst 2950s to a 4506. What's the best tool to use for logging the enormous output? I figured I'd give putty a go. In the past, I used hyper terminal with logging getting the techs off of a couple of routers and the output was too much and some was chopped off in the output file.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Sorry, lame question. Putty works fine, nothing was cut off.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
What is the general opinion on refurbed cisco gear? Seeing as I work for a not for profit shop, is refurbished equipment, specifically a 45xx series core switch, a bad idea?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
http://www.cisco.com/web/ordering/ciscocapital/refurbished/

According to that page, the warranty and service options are the same as new equipment.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Is there an adapter to convert the serial console cable to USB? I just got my Thinkpad at work and didn't realize it doesn't have a serial port. It's not critical, but it would be nice to have.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Great, thanks!

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Here's the routing table from our 4506. 172.16.0.0/24 is the voip network. 10.0.0.0/8 is the data network. 10.6.4.2 is a pix 501 I use for VPN access. None of this was set up by me, I'm just trying to make sense of a few things in parallel with my CCNA course work.

Does the default route supersede the directly connected and static routes? Is my Pix501 acting like a router while I'm accessing it with a standard home network network(192.168.1.0/24)?

code:
Gateway of last resort is 10.5.5.5 to network 0.0.0.0

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       172.16.1.0 is directly connected, Vlan2
C    10.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Vlan1
S    192.168.1.0/24 [1/0] via 10.6.4.2
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.5.5.5

Boner Buffet fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 3, 2007

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Would you guys talk to me a little bit about how you handle routing? What's your organization size, number of subnets, type of routing? Do you use static or dynamic? I'd like to read a bit about some real world applications.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

quote:

Routing responses....

Thanks fellas. Do you try to keep a 1:1 subnet to vlan ratio or does it just depend on the situation? I'm assuming you don't do vlan trunking to your remote sites?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm trying to work through a VLAN/Trunking/InterVLAN routing lab and from what I can tell, my router doesn't support VLANs! According to Cisco's docs, I was under the impression that the 2620 did encapsulation. Apparently I was wrong.

What IOS release do I need?

code:
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 07-Mar-03 01:45 by pwade
Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x80A0E980

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(10r)1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ImcRouter1 uptime is 3 hours, 17 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-16.bin"

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x00) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD07020FXM (1873057437)
M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
We have a smartnet contract on our 4506 that I just got coupled to my cco login. I went through the IOS upgrade planner and got to the point where I can download c2600-is-mz.121-27b.bin. Unfortunately, after that, it throws me into a login loop.

Is that because the contract is specifically on a 4506(not the 2600 I need an IOS upgrade for), or is there some different problem I'm experiencing?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
You're right on the image. Plus it just seems like the Cisco website is somewhat flaky, held together by hopes and dreams. Sometimes I get a 403 error, hit reload, and it works fine. :iiam:

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
http://www.gns3.net/

It's a complete dynamips package with visual topology editor. You still need IOS binaries, but for some fake labbing, it looks very promising.

Not sure if it's poop sock worthy. I don't plan on finding out either.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm starting to run into some limitations such as the switch limitations you mentioned. You can put a switch in and specify VLANs, but not a L3 switch apparently, nor can you telnet to it. Also, I can't seem to use a serial interface using a 2600 image.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Can anyone think of any issues plugging a 10Base-T nic into a fast ethernet port? A UPS I'm looking at only has the option to add a 10BT card for SNMP abilities.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Anyone have any ideas how using two DHCP servers on one line might work?

Ethernet Drop -> Cisco IP Phone <-built in switch-> PC

The Cisco IP Phone(7960G/7911G) would be getting a DHCP address from a Win2000 call manager box, the PC would draw from a NetWare DHCP server. Can you differentiate what pulls what address?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Makes sense. Thanks fellas. I'm working with an outside firm to rebuild our network along with expanding our current VoIP installed base. We're subnetting the data network they way it should be(I was saddled with a 10.0.0.0/8 data network when I took the job). The voice network is already in its own VLAN so that route is probably the most viable.

I'm sure the guys I'm working with know how to do this already, but we haven't gotten to that point of the build and I was just curious myself, so I figured I'd pick your brains.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Hades posted:

Is that all I need, will it give me a CCO login?

I might be mistaken, but you don't need the contract for a CCO login. However, it's really just a guest login and you need the various support contracts to unlock parts of the site.

Off that topic, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the ASA 5510, specifically how it might stack up against PfSense? Right now I have a carped/pfsync pfsense setup with two PCs. It seems to work well, but the marketing speak for the ASA talks about Application Inspection, voice protection, VLAN capabilities, and of course VPN duties. None of those are supported by pfsense as far as I know. We have roughly 900 workstations and 30 servers. The biggest drawback I see is that I'm losing the redundancy I have right now.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Cheers. I think I have to spend some more time looking at the pfsense docs!

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Hades posted:

It's just quite an old version (from 2002).

As far as router images go, I'm not sure if you can go solely by age to determine the value of the IOS. It really comes down to features and what you really need. As far as I can tell, you can have a newer IOS images with less features than an older one. At least that's what I've been able to determine from my somewhat limited cisco experience.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Anyone take the 640-802 CCNA yet? Thoughts, opinions, complaints?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

What in the world: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/index.html

The world made sense an hour ago.

I'd be willing to bet that sells for a pretty penny.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

Apparently it will switch fibre-channel, ethernet, and IP all on the same fabric, but I'm not sure what kind of draw that will have for people that have already invested in separate data and storage switches.

Consolidation seems to be a hot topic these days. Maybe Cisco is looking to provide an option to consolidate all of those needs into one supported package instead of customers having to deal with multiple vendors blaming each other during service calls.

quote:

I'm also willing to bet that NX-OS will never see feature-parity to IOS.

Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious. Granted I don't know anything beyond a wikipedia article about NX-OS, but I just figured it was the "next step".

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I don't have a question, rather a statement. Upgrading Call Manager is a long and worrisome process and overall a pain in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Dumb question, but are all of those interface cards being used? What's the memory usage on the router look like?