Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Incubus
Sep 12, 2007
Wow, I just spent an hour and a half reading all the replies and answers. I am also amazed at how quickly you listen to the speech- in your demonstration the 'faster' mode sounded like 'blurble blurble blurble ok thats it if you have any questions...' Also for perspective I actually turned off all the lights as well as the monitor that way I could focus on listening. It actually reminded me of when I used to listen to a late-night radio show while lying in bed in the dark. Somehow not having the distraction of seeing things can often make it sound more funny.

Personally from what you have said I don't think your blindness is a handicap at all. For all the advantages of sight there are plenty of disadvantages; glare and darkness being good examples. I have two questions for you-

Have you ever been in a situation where you had an advantage over someone because of your condition? As odd it sounds, I could imagine that you would be really good at tag or dodgeball if it were in total darkness. Did you every play games with your friends (or girlfriends) in the dark? Personally if I had a blind friend I'd be a little paranoid of them sneaking up on me in the dark to startle me as a prank.

Lots of questions have been asked about your perception of women, but I have one as well. You said a part of your interests in a partner is how other people look. There is a stigma in the U.S. against larger women, but my own experiences with my girlfriend (who is on the heavier side) is that one of the biggest turnons I have is how her body feels. I imagine this would be even more so with a blind person. What I'm puzzled about is that for me, I have had insecurities with my girlfriend about how other people might think they look, and I would think that not being able to see would make this much less of a problem.

The show Nip/Tuck kind of dealt with this. A blind woman gets prosthetic eyes installed, and one of the surgeons actually follows her on her first date to 'check up on her'. He is a little surprised when it turns out she is meeting a blind man. However things take a sad twist when the blind man goes to the bar and asks the surgeon if the woman that was sitting with him looked hot. Disgusted at the question, the surgeon lies and says she's ugly. Disappointed, the man actually leaves without telling the blind woman and she gets stood up.

...The surgeon later has sex with the blind woman but that's besides the point. I don't know if the story was meant to convey that the blind can be just as shallow as sighted people, or the feedback of sighted people is really necessary for blind people to feel confident in a relationship. Like when I mentioned about the bad things about being able to see, in this case I would think being blind means you do not carry a bias in that regard, and you can pay a lot more attention to a person's personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incubus
Sep 12, 2007

meriruka posted:

You seem like such a good person, you've been exceptionally patient and it appears that not much ruffles your composure. So, what really ticks you off? What are some of your personality traits that are less than stellar?

I agree! Wow, I'm surprised you're not in a customer service related job, because you are really good at letting little things go.