Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
That is a amazing and such a testament to well established pack structure being great for dogs! I bet they make an ungodly racket when they get going huh?

I love the "coupling" training too. Thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

notsoape posted:

Most of the day, the beagles are dead quiet. They would only start barking if something walked in front of the kennels, or somebody unfamiliar came into the kennels during the day. They also go mental at feeding or walk time, but that is to be expected ;).

Now, howling is a really interesting topic. If we ever have to seperate a beagle due to illness, he or she will howl up a storm - a sort of loud, deep, pretty annoying 'oh god where is everybody, where are you guys :gonk:' howl. There's also the alarm howl - this, to me, sounds most like a 'BAROOO!'. But when hounds are in kennels together, they don't howl - they sing. One hound will start off, and the rest will join in - it builds up in a sort of crescendo. To my ears, it is absolutely haunting and beautiful. It sends shivers up my spine to hear it. It is essentially the same behaviour as when you see wolves coming together to howl in unison - it strengthens the pack bond. I take it as a signal that the hounds are well fed, content and feel stable as a unit. I might try and tape some for you guys, if I can, when I go over to visit next (although that won't be until at least some time next week due to stupid exams :mad: ).

P.S - sometimes, when the mood takes me, I may have been known to howl along with them :blush:

Thank you for the best feel good post of the day! I want to hear some pack singing!