Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
So I was laying in bed last night, restless. Usually at night I think of the most strange stuff, and last night I had the idea for a resume that would undoubtedly be attention getting. Let me just preface this idea by saying I'm an advertising major, and I think showing a certain level of creativity in a resume is more important than some professions. Plus, if it gives me an edge I'm all for it.

My idea involves using the original toaster-oven-sized Gameboy and a copy of Tetris. When a potential employer requests a resume, I'd send him the Gameboy in a box that says 'resume' and hope he puts two-and-two together and it curious enough to figure out what the hell is going on. Who doesn't love Tetris?

Now, the idea is that I would hack a copy of Tetris with my version of it and save it back onto the cart. I have no idea if this is possible or not, so I'm not sure if I'm getting worked up over nothing.

The opening screen would display the word RESUME instead of Tetris, and only have the option to press start to begin (to avoid confusion). Once start is pressed, it would jump right into the game.

The first part of the resume would be displayed in the background, and if the person gets a Tetris or loses, it will clear the screen and start with the next part of the resume. I really have no idea how long this would take, but it would guarantee if the person liked it they would be messing with my 'resume' for awhile.

Now, Goons, I know this is probably borderline retarded, but is this possible? If you don't think it is, constructive criticism on what would be better would be much appreciated. The general idea of keeping someone occupied with a game probably is better than a printed off sheet of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE RAPER
Mar 21, 2004

by WorstAyatollahEver
There is no way that a busy managerial type will gently caress around playing Tetris to see your resume. Are you applying to work anywhere besides EB Games?

edit: Although that would be an interesting hook if you were applying for a programming position. You'd still want to hand in a paper version as well, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That sure is crazy and will probably guarantee that you never get a job.

eastcoastbadguy
Jul 12, 2006
Unless you're applying for a job at a videogame development company I don't think any interviewers are going to be amused.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Somehow I think sending an electronic device in a incorrectly marked box to a large corporation isn't going to end well for you.

I LOVE FRONT BUTT
Jan 15, 2005

They can never see us :allears:
Crazy; yes, possible; I guess, will it land you a job?; good luck.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You have a future in advertising with Sony.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I don't think HR works like you think it does. I've heard of similarly creative things like this being used to offer jobs though.

http://toomuchimagination.blogspot.com/2007/03/offer-you-cant-refuse.html

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

My mother used to work at some place checking resumes, and to have any sort of chance, there has to be something on your resume to catch the reviewer's eye within 5 seconds. And this was back in the 70's or thereabouts. Granted, a Gameboy would probably qualify, but if 5 seconds to catch initial interest is any indication of the sort of free time that person is going to have, I doubt they'll be up for a game of Tetris.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

My mother used to work at some place checking resumes, and to have any sort of chance, there has to be something on your resume to catch the reviewer's eye within 5 seconds. And this was back in the 70's or thereabouts. Granted, a Gameboy would probably qualify, but if 5 seconds to catch initial interest is any indication of the sort of free time that person is going to have, I doubt they'll be up for a game of Tetris.

You'd have better chances with a goatse watermark.

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
I dunno .. I review quite a few resumes (not in the advertising industry) and this would certainly be interesting and creative, and most importantly attention-getting and memorable. It would only work if you were sending it to some specific person that you had already communicated with, not just a generic submission. You would have to preface it with 'hey, Mr Smith, I wanted to try a different way to show you my resume, just turn this on and follow the instructions, and tell me what you think', and also include a standard printed copy (perhaps in an additional sealed envelope) that the person could open if a) they suck at tetris or b) they just want to see your resume and not gently caress around.

You would have to avoid this coming across as some kind of 'bribe', like the interviewer thinking you were giving him this item as a gift.

That's all I got.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
Fine, it's completely retarded then. I've talked with people that have had great success making resumes out of smaller things, such as those finger things (pick a color, pick a number, whatever they are) but I guess this is too over the top. Oh well.

Edit: ^^^ and yeah, asking for your resume back would be odd, to say the least. Hmph.

Is there something else interactive that's cheap and attention getting (sans Goatse anything)?

vvv Actually got his foot in the door for the creative dept. at Fallon, a major firm in Minneapolis.

Yeehaw McKickass fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 25, 2007

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

Fine, it's completely retarded then. I've talked with people that have had great success making resumes out of smaller things, such as those finger things (pick a color, pick a number, whatever they are) but I guess this is too over the top. Oh well.

What job did they get? Hall monitor?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
I'd know I'd hire someone if they forced me to spend hours playing a videogame on a an ancient gameboy every time I wanted to check something on their resume.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you're applying to a programming position and sent in a game that was also your resume that would be one thing.

But sticking your resume in Tetris is not that cool of a thing, and you'd want a paper resume regardless.

Here's a tip: If you need to pull some sort of weird rear end stunt to get your resume in front of someone for a job, you might want to work on improving the content. Obviously there are unique situations like this: http://www.tk409.com/gettingajob.html
But that was significantly more elaborate and plus he had a very solid portfolio he was pimping.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!

aliencowboy posted:

You have a future in advertising with Sony.

Too bad he missed his shot with Acclaim.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

No HR department on the planet wants to deal with that. They'd probably report it as a suspicious package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

This is a sure fire way to get a job