Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
When I had my first shortwave receiver 20 years ago I would stay up all night listening to international network broadcasts. I'd open up my copy of Passport to Work Band Radio and check out every station that was broadcasting to North America. I though it was the greatest thing in the world to listen to Voice of Russia, CRI, Deutsche Welle, etc.

A few months ago I got nostalgic for those good old days so I picked up an inexpensive Sangean portable and the 2007 edition of Passport hoping to relive the experience of listening to the world. After picking up a scratchy transmission from CRI that faded in and out I looked up their entry Passport to find a better frequency I noticed that the broadcaster's web address was listed.

http://www.chinabroadcast.cn/

I decided to check out the web site. Guess what they have? Live streaming audio of their shortwave broadcast! I started checking all of the big broadcasters and they all have streaming audio. Crystal clear, on demand, anywhere I have a computer and an internet connection (which is everywhere).

Everything worth listening to on shortwave radio can be listened to BETTER on the internet. I felt like I wasted $100, but I also realized just how much has changed. I'll keep the radio, though, just in case I am without power for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Dog Case posted:

Just adding a neat link before I run off to work. A chart of all of the radio frequency allocations for the U.S. Find a weird data transmission and wonder what it could be? This thing can give you some sort of an idea.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

Awesome. I'll add this to the OP.

Videodrome posted:

I decided to check out the web site. Guess what they have? Live streaming audio of their shortwave broadcast! I started checking all of the big broadcasters and they all have streaming audio. Crystal clear, on demand, anywhere I have a computer and an internet connection (which is everywhere).

Everything worth listening to on shortwave radio can be listened to BETTER on the internet. I felt like I wasted $100, but I also realized just how much has changed. I'll keep the radio, though, just in case I am without power for a long time.

But...but...where's the fun in that? Half the fun of SW tuning is trying to test the limits of radio technology and rigging up crazy crap homebrew antennae to squeeze out the tiniest bit of strength from a weak signal.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 6, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The OP has been updated with a shitload of links. Just lettin' yalls know.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Videodrome posted:

When I had my first shortwave receiver 20 years ago I would stay up all night listening to international network broadcasts. I'd open up my copy of Passport to Work Band Radio and check out every station that was broadcasting to North America. I though it was the greatest thing in the world to listen to Voice of Russia, CRI, Deutsche Welle, etc.

A few months ago I got nostalgic for those good old days so I picked up an inexpensive Sangean portable and the 2007 edition of Passport hoping to relive the experience of listening to the world. After picking up a scratchy transmission from CRI that faded in and out I looked up their entry Passport to find a better frequency I noticed that the broadcaster's web address was listed.

http://www.chinabroadcast.cn/

True, but that's not why I enjoy listening to radios. I enjoy tring to get that list little bit of static out of the signal, I enjoy twisting the VFO knob and watching numbers wiz by, and hearing birdies as I scan. Different strokes different folks I guess.

EDIT: OP you may want to include some links to a couple of the reference books to help people find stations.
I've got a copy of WRTH (http://www.wrth.com/) The other one that I know of is The Passport to World Band Radio (http://www.passband.com/). I'm sure you could find a year or two old copy for cheap at a used bookstore or Ham Swap meet.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2007

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I just clicked the live stream for that link above and Time after Time from Cyndi Lauper is playing. WTF.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

EDIT: OP you may want to include some links to a couple of the reference books to help people find stations.
I've got a copy of WRTH (http://www.wrth.com/) The other one that I know of is The Passport to World Band Radio (http://www.passband.com/). I'm sure you could find a year or two old copy for cheap at a used bookstore or Ham Swap meet.

Done and done.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

AstroZamboni posted:

Mundane story #1:

Every shortwave HAM radio operator is a middle aged or elderly gentleman with a southern accent. Basically, HAM frequencies are the most boring chat rooms of all. I've used the SSB function on my radio to listen to ham conversation. One time I listened to a bunch of old guys chatting for an hour about their favorite brands of coffee, with the one who roasts his own beans being the most vocal. Usually all the hams I've listened to mostly talk about radio equipment.

You apparently haven't listened to many of the evening and late night get togethers on 75/80 meters. Those guys talk about just about everything, from politics to religion to sports to radios and so on. And, unlike a lot of the more civil discussions on the other bands (like 40m and 20m) they tend to cuss a lot and can be rather entertaining sometimes.

It is especially fun to catch them in the radio version of a flame war, screaming and cussing at each other, trying to overpower each others signals... heh.

But you are correct at least that in general a lot (read majority) of ham discussions on the air are technical or general (weather, hows the wife, have a good christmas, etc) and some of that comes from the FCC. They tend to keep things clean on the ham bands as much as possible, and in a lot of places certain discussions are frowned upon. It helps to keep the amateur allocations from turning into what CB turned into once the FCC removed the CB licensing requirements.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How exactly would the FCC 'keep HAM radio clean'? It's not like they can listen to every frequency and jam it when they think someone might be about to say something offensive. Well, OK, they could-- but it isn't practical.

Are there some decently thorough resources out there for building a SW radio? I'm yet to find anything very detailed after about 15 minutes of googling except a very old Geocities page with some tiny, unreadable schematics. :(

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

Psychlone posted:

Ah shortwave. I don't have room to put up an antenna now, but I still have my trusty Realistic DX-380 with me. I can mostly pick up the American stations, but not much else these days.

You dont need a lot of room, just some wire. I have about 100 feet of speaker wire that I use for an antenna on my old Lafayette receiver (AM/CW only though, it doesnt do SSB) and I have it strung around the walls of my office at home. When I lived in an apartment, it was thumb tacked to the wall around the entire bottom floor.

Psychlone posted:

A UK company invented a cheap, wind up shortwave radio that doesn't run on batteries and these radios are widely distributed into remote areas for the people to hear newscasts. These broadcasts are very low power and often challenging to try to pick up in North America. These are often called Tropical Band stations and are down in the 3-7 kHz range. You'll mostly hear subtropical noise down there without an extremely sensitive antenna.

Actually, do a search on crystal radios. You can build one for pennies, tune it manually and pick up all sorts of stuff and needs no batteries, winding or anything. Granted it doesn't have the discrimination of something built on a circuit board, doesn't include things like preamps, noise limiters, SSB or so on, but Crystal Sets are probably the most amazing thing you'll build. Mostly because of the fact that they use no user provided electricity yet still receive radio signals and produce audio via a small headphone.

Here's a couple links if anyone is interested:
Science Buddies
The xtal set society
teh wiki

and I agree, this is a great thread. I haven't had my Lafayette turned on in a while. I think I'll head home this evening and warm those tubes up a bit and see what's on the air tonight.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

Epicenter posted:

How exactly would the FCC 'keep HAM radio clean'? It's not like they can listen to every frequency and jam it when they think someone might be about to say something offensive. Well, OK, they could-- but it isn't practical.

They dont, much. With the ham bands at least, as a general rule, we tend to police ourselves, and if enough hams complain about specific incidents or people on the frequencies, the FCC will conduct monitoring, triangulation and if necessary legal or civil actions against the person/company causing the problem.

Mostly, its amateurs who report the things, and many of them record examples of the interference or otherwise improper/illegal activity.

The ARRL used to publish a list of the enforcement/warning letters and such from the FCC on the ARRL website. In March the FCC started posting them on their own website:

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

Obviously they (FCC) are more active in policing the commercial bands since those are what generate revenue, but they do do a fair job (usually) of enforcing regs on the ham bands as well. There have been some pretty big cases in the past of people on ham bands interfering/pirating/being a jackass as well as bleeding that over onto other bands as well being smacked down by the FCC (up to and including jail time).

Jack Gerritsen is one such asshat that is very well known in the ham community.

Epicenter posted:

Are there some decently thorough resources out there for building a SW radio? I'm yet to find anything very detailed after about 15 minutes of googling except a very old Geocities page with some tiny, unreadable schematics. :(

The ARRL has them, plus you can probably ask in a Ham forum somewhere and find some. The Amateur Radio Handbook put out by the ARRL each year or so usually has some plans for receivers as well. Plus, dont search for short wave receivers specifically... any Ham receiver set will pick up SW stuff as well (as long as it is built to receive those frequencies).

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are some good places to buy parts to build a radio online? Preferably that has a good selection and isn't too expensive. I honestly need a good electronics parts site in general, e.g. to buy PCBs, small components, connectors, things of that nature.. it'd be great if I could fit all of it and radio componentry or kits in one place.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I need to get a SW radio again, right now all I have for radio entertainment is my Radio Shack PRO-95 scanner (commercial FM reception in my building SUCKS for some reason). It picks up the Massachusetts State Police great, but I suspect that is due to the fact that I live about 1/2 mile from their headquarters.

NuggetMaster
Apr 15, 2003

99 cents of goodness!
I have a Knight StarRoamer that I recieved as a gift from my Grandfather some years ago. With a wire antenna up in the trees and a ground it easily picks up Venezuala. I sure do enjoy living in one of the highest spots in this area. Not much to block my reception. Its a modest toy for something thats at least 11 years older than I am. :)

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Count me in the list of folks that found this thread from the ham one. I'll answer some questions if I can.

I've had several SW receivers through the years, but I always like to fire up this ol' boy. Nothing like a good old vacuum-tubed, spin-the-knobs travel through the bands.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

bladernr posted:

You dont need a lot of room, just some wire. I have about 100 feet of speaker wire that I use for an antenna on my old Lafayette receiver (AM/CW only though, it doesnt do SSB) and I have it strung around the walls of my office at home. When I lived in an apartment, it was thumb tacked to the wall around the entire bottom floor.
I've been known to piss off the wife by running wires around the windowsills, hanging them from the balcony (I'm on the third floor), etc. It can certainly be done, even in an apartment setting. I also have access to the attic, so I can do all kinds of crazy poo poo up there.

hudibrastic
Aug 20, 2003

If you're just starting out in short wave radio, you really need two things:

1. A good quality portable SW radio. Good quality: like most things electronic, you get what you pay for. You could spend $40 on a cheap Korean or Chinese knockoff from RadioShack or a pawnshop, but then you'll spend most of your time fiddling with the radio dial and getting frustrated as the radio drifts off the station you're listening to. Portable: if you enjoy short wave radio, you're going to eventually buy a portable anyway so that you can listen to broadcasts as you travel and high-quality portables are cheaper than high-quality tabletop radios. Basically, you have two choices: the Eton E5 or the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. Each one will run you about $150; you can't go wrong with either. Buying anything else at first means you run the risk of either spending too much of your money on a hobby that you end up not liking or not spending enough of your money, getting frustrated, and then giving up.
2. The latest Passport to World Band Radio. This annual publication has everything you need to know about SW--broadcast times, frequencies, broadcasters, radio reviews, program listings, articles. While randomly scanning the airwaves can be fun, you'll get more enjoyment of your radio when you know when and on what frequencies programs will be airing.

hudibrastic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 7, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

hudibrastic posted:

1. A good quality portable FW radio. Good quality: like most things electronic, you get what you pay for. You could spend $40 on a cheap Korean or Chinese knockoff from RadioShack or a pawnshop, but then you'll spend most of your time fiddling with the radio dial and getting frustrated as the radio drifts off the station you're listening to. Portable: if you enjoy short wave radio, you're going to eventually buy a portable anyway so that you can listen to broadcasts as you travel and high-quality portables are cheaper than high-quality tabletop radios. Basically, you have two choices: the Eton E5 or the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. Each one will run you about $150; you can't go wrong with either. Buying anything else at first means you run the risk of either spending too much of your money on a hobby that you end up not liking or not spending enough of your money, getting frustrated, and then giving up.

I mostly agree with you, but in terms of quality the Kaito/Degen 1103 is pretty good too. The user interface is just difficult to use. Most of the circuitry and guts are identical to the E5 (they're both manufactured by the same Degen factory in China). The E5 has the edge in terms of ease-of-use, though. BUT, if someone wants quality on the cheap the Kaito/Degen is just fine. Also, This unit from Sangean is very decent as well. The higher end portables from Sangean are no slouches.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

I love shortwave radio! The coolest part is that you can write to many of the stations with a reception report and they'll send you free stuff in return.

Radio China and Radio Taiwan are awesome for this. I get free propaganda in the mail from Radio China monthly because I wrote to them one. The first batch of stuff they sent me included wallet calendars, a ton of newsletters, a bunch of pamphlets on Chinese tourism, and a mini notepad. I'm still on their mailing list. Radio Taiwan sent a similar care package: I got a magnet, newsletter, radio schedule, wallet calendar, and mini notepad. Radio Japan was also quite generous.

Radio Netherlands sent me a postcard, and the Cubans also sent a postcard and a schedule. Later on, Radio Cuba also sent me a new schedule and a Fidel Castro wallet calendar. I also got a Christmas card from them. So, if you want propaganda delivered to your house, just send off reception reports to Radio China or Radio Havana Cuba.

Radio Netherlands is quite excellent; their programs are really interesting and I often download them from their website to listen to while I work if I didn't catch them on the radio. Radio Habana Cuba's broadcasts always begin with a lot of news, much of which will be devoted to any bad things the American government has done. It's a bit biased that way. I really want to find the stations from Iran or North Korea one of these days. I want to see what they give in return for reception reports.

The stations I get clearest are the crazy fire and brimstone preachers from the southern USA. There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cacatua posted:

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.
Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" radio show is also broadcast on shortwave. I picked it up once while looking for numbers stations on my little '70s battery-powered Longines Symphonette.

I also have an AM/SW Zenith radio made in 1940. The shortwave frequency numbers have little notes saying what country used them. The filter cap's dead, though, so all I can get on it is the sound of the electricity. No volume control, no tuning, just a loud-as-gently caress hum as soon as the tubes warm up. At least now I know what 60hz sounds like.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Delivery McGee posted:

Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" radio show is also broadcast on shortwave. I picked it up once while looking for numbers stations on my little '70s battery-powered Longines Symphonette.

I also have an AM/SW Zenith radio made in 1940. The shortwave frequency numbers have little notes saying what country used them. The filter cap's dead, though, so all I can get on it is the sound of the electricity. No volume control, no tuning, just a loud-as-gently caress hum as soon as the tubes warm up. At least now I know what 60hz sounds like.

Any chance you know what station Coast to Coast is broadcast on (in shortwave). I've got a decent AM station here, but if it's possible to make Coast to Coast any cooler, it'd be shortwave.

Cacatua posted:

PROPAGANDA!
Awesome! I need to get me some Castro schwag!

JoeRunner
Jul 22, 2004
Very interesting and informative. I've always had an interest in SW. I've been scanning for years, started with a Realistic Pro-42 (early 90s) and am up to a Uniden Bearcat 396t listening to local police (san diego pd and surrounding areas). One question I have, and doesn't appear to have been touched, is about transmitting. Looking at most of the SW radios that have been posted dont appear to have any function of transmitting. Is it possible to transmit on SW or only listen. I know HAM's transmit and have licenses, do they transmit on the SW channels?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

blugu64 posted:

Any chance you know what station Coast to Coast is broadcast on (in shortwave). I've got a decent AM station here, but if it's possible to make Coast to Coast any cooler, it'd be shortwave.
Sorry, no. I didn't write it down.

I got the famous Cuban numbers station twice -- once on what sounded like sideband (sounds like the adults' voices in the Peanuts cartoons) and once in the clear, but jammed so it was very faint. Also something that I thought was a numbers station, but continued listening proved it to be a nautical weather station reading wind speed and direction.

Also, can anybody else hear a weird Morse code on around 6.3 and 8.3 MHz (my tuner is rather imprecise)? What is it? It's got a bit of a musical beat to it, and late at night goes from the normal 2-letter group to something crazy -- same signal, but repeated a bit out of time over itself with some other boops and bleeps. I assume it's a navigational beacon of some sort, but that doesn't explain the techno mode.

Edit: Ooh, the Wikipedia article on numbers stations links to a clip of one being jammed, and that reminded me of something so I went and checked. The strange noise I keep picking up on 5.3 MHz is a bubble jammer. I think that's where we picked up the numbers station once.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 7, 2007

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've got an ancient radio - "inherited" from my dad - which I've been using to manually tune in SW broadcasts for a few years. I managed to pick up a weird mix of broadcasts around the 6 MHz mark - one was a news broadcast in English, but the others seemed to be overlapping languages in Germanic languages - Dutch and German? That was interesting.

I'll have to look into getting a Grundig Eton radio once I have the money for it, though.

(Incidentally, what does "MB" mean, exactly? The dial has positions for FM, AM, MB, and SW, but I'm not sure what MB is, or what I'd find there.)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JoeRunner posted:

Very interesting and informative. I've always had an interest in SW. I've been scanning for years, started with a Realistic Pro-42 (early 90s) and am up to a Uniden Bearcat 396t listening to local police (san diego pd and surrounding areas). One question I have, and doesn't appear to have been touched, is about transmitting. Looking at most of the SW radios that have been posted dont appear to have any function of transmitting. Is it possible to transmit on SW or only listen. I know HAM's transmit and have licenses, do they transmit on the SW channels?

Indeed, it is possible if you have a shortwave tranceiver and a proper Ham license. The OP has a link to the Ham radio thread in the A/V Arena which will provide lots of info.

Canuck-Errant posted:

(Incidentally, what does "MB" mean, exactly? The dial has positions for FM, AM, MB, and SW, but I'm not sure what MB is, or what I'd find there.)

It probably stands for "Meter Band," and probably works in conjunction with another dial to select individual bands within the shortwave spectrum. Some bands are more active at different times of day or in different parts of the year.

Milka
Feb 23, 2005
at least i'm not one of the '06s
There's a small community of pirate shortwave broadcasters in the US. They can typically be found around 6925. Here's their main forums where they give each other listening reports - http://www.frn.net/vines/

Also, I have an Eton E10. Any thoughts on this radio? I've seen it for around $100 but I got it for $45 off Ebay

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I might add some UK-specific information here tonight if I can dig out some links. On licensing, bandplans, good places to order from, etc. Why should you Americans have all the fun? :)

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I know this thread is primarily about SW, but I've seen a few mentions of police scanners and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good police scanner for a novice. Most of the reviews of the Uniden Bearcats seem to indicate that they're too complicated for a novice.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Milka posted:

There's a small community of pirate shortwave broadcasters in the US. They can typically be found around 6925. Here's their main forums where they give each other listening reports - http://www.frn.net/vines/

Also, I have an Eton E10. Any thoughts on this radio? I've seen it for around $100 but I got it for $45 off Ebay

Thanks for the link! I'd been looking for something like that, as I really love listing to non-corporate radio, of which we've got a couple decent stations here in dallas.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Milka posted:

All except for the lack of SSB, its a mighty fine radio.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Cacatua posted:

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.
Listening to these types of broadcasts while hiding in the stormhouse during a violent thunderstorm makes for an awesome night.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Mapless posted:

Listening to these types of broadcasts while hiding in the stormhouse during a violent thunderstorm makes for an awesome night.

Except for the violent thunderstorm part I assume? ;)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

foobar posted:

I know this thread is primarily about SW, but I've seen a few mentions of police scanners and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good police scanner for a novice. Most of the reviews of the Uniden Bearcats seem to indicate that they're too complicated for a novice.

I have a Bearcat BC370CRS. I wouldn't really say it's complicated, but getting a frequency programed in is a little confusing at first until you do it right a few times. Just follow along step by step with the manual at first and you'll get it.

Edit: And a random tip for scanners: If you've got an unused TV antenna on your house, you can get an adapter to connect the coax cable from the antenna to the BNC input on the scanner. Way better than the little antennas that most scanners come with.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 7, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

foobar posted:

Reviewers have made the same complaint about the Eton E5. I guess it just boils down to number of functions and versatility also introduces a bit of a learning cure. I don't mind taking a bit longer to get completely familiar with a pice of equipment if it means the thing can do more cool stuff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni

I'm trying to figure this out, and since you seem to be the radio expert in the room I'll ask you.
What is the difference between Kaito, Degen, and Eton/Grundig, Radios?
From what I can tell they all share designs and should be somewhat equivalent in performance, Truth or Humbug?

(Also I've noticed that the price can vary decently depending on the branding)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

AstroZamboni

I'm trying to figure this out, and since you seem to be the radio expert in the room I'll ask you.
What is the difference between Kaito, Degen, and Eton/Grundig, Radios?
From what I can tell they all share designs and should be somewhat equivalent in performance, Truth or Humbug?

(Also I've noticed that the price can vary decently depending on the branding)

It basically boils down like this. Degen is a Chinese company that makes SW portables. Degen-branded radios typically have all of the text on the buttons/display in chinese. Kaito is the American supplier of Degen radios in English with american electrical socket AC adapters.

In MOST cases Eton radios are from a different manufacturer (and are mostly a cut above the Degens) EXCEPT for the E5 which is actually manufactured by Degen and is exclusively licensed to Eton/Grundig. The E5 is an updated (and VERY much improved) version of a Degen/Kaito radio called the DE-1103.

Overall Degen/Kaito radios tend to be of very good quality, and so are the Etons.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I'm a ham too, but I really enjoy listening to shortwave more than anything else. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex so my antenna options are really limited. I sometimes pickup radio habanna Cuba in the evenings, which I really love to listen to the shows and music they have on.

I have a cheapy shortwave and really want to upgrade to a nice set, but I'm probably hosed becuase of my apartment layout. I'm on the bottom floor, and it was a bitch and a half getting my directv dish setup there as it was. I'm sure they'd be pissed if I was trying to rig something else up there. Oh well, maybe some year I'll be able to have my own shack in California so I can plaster loving antennas everywhere.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Haydez posted:

I'm a ham too, but I really enjoy listening to shortwave more than anything else. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex so my antenna options are really limited. I sometimes pickup radio habanna Cuba in the evenings, which I really love to listen to the shows and music they have on.

I have a cheapy shortwave and really want to upgrade to a nice set, but I'm probably hosed becuase of my apartment layout. I'm on the bottom floor, and it was a bitch and a half getting my directv dish setup there as it was. I'm sure they'd be pissed if I was trying to rig something else up there. Oh well, maybe some year I'll be able to have my own shack in California so I can plaster loving antennas everywhere.

Anything more than the built in antenna will be an improvement. A length of wire attached to the antenna and strung around the window frame works. I imagine even just a couple feet hanging out the window would help quite a bit.
I unwrapped the wire from one of those black plastic AM loop antennas that come with a lot of stereo receivers and put it out my kitchen window. The wire is small enough to fit through the screen and close the window on, and it works surprisingly well.
You don't even have to do anything fancy to attach the wire to the radio. Just wrapping it around the antenna a bunch of times works.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I usually use the loop that came with the stereo, but the signal improvement isn't usually very much. It still comes in with a lot of static. I tried putting some wiring on the outside area around my tiny patio but it was ripped out by the time I woke up the next day. I have no idea who/what ripped it out, probably some neighbors I guess. Maybe I'll pickup some more cabling and staple it to the balcony above me or something.

I think I'll pickup some wires this weekend and give it a shot again. I haven't looked at SW at my local ham radio outlet, but I believe they have some receivers there. I wouldn't mind upgrading my cheapy degen that I bought from Frys a while back.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

How hard exactly is it to hear the Voice of Korea? North Korean propaganda is absolutely hilarious, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

I mostly agree with you, but in terms of quality the Kaito/Degen 1103 is pretty good too. The user interface is just difficult to use. Most of the circuitry and guts are identical to the E5 (they're both manufactured by the same Degen factory in China). The E5 has the edge in terms of ease-of-use, though. BUT, if someone wants quality on the cheap the Kaito/Degen is just fine.

I can manage without ease-of-use, so the Kaito 1103 looks interesting. It looks like I could pick one up new for about $90, shipped-- are there any specific features that would warrant the extra cost of the E5, apart from user interface?

A few specs:
DUAL CONVERSION RECEIVER TECHNOLOGY
FM:76.0-108.0 MHz ( Step 10K/50K/100K Hz)
MW:522-1710 MHz ( Step 1K/9K/10K Hz)
SW:3.00-29.99 MHz (Step 1K/5K Hz)
268 MEMORY PRESETS ( Dynamic memory on 19 Pages)
Auto scan and memory (ATS), Start page preset
MANUAL TUNING/SCAN/PRESET/DIRECT ENTRY
SSB RECEIVER WITH FINE TUNING CONTROL
METER AND FREQUENCY CONVERT
SIGNAL STRENGTH INDICATOR
DX/LOCAL SELECT FOR SHORTWAVE RECEPTION
MONO / STEREO SELECTABLE
LINE OUT JACK
EXTERNAL ANTENNA JACK

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 7, 2007

• Locked thread