Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

It was a BBC radio programme about number stations that turned me onto the Conet project earlier this year. I hear lots of love for the Swedish Rhapsody, but none for "Gong Station Chimes" (D1, 7). If those distorted bells could leave me feeling so cold after hearing them on a documentary at 11am, I'd hate to hear them in the middle of the night in a darkened room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've been listening to SW for years on an old kitchen radio - and until I clicked this thread out of curiosity I never knew there was more to Shortwave than the 6 - 9.5 MHz it covered.

So after lurking here for half a year I finally snapped ten minutes ago and impulse bought a second hand Roberts R9914 on eBay for £34 - that's $66 (xe.com) to add to the financial drain tally.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Been enjoying a the first few days with my new radio... currently listening to the Voice of Russia world service. They just mentioned Leatherhead in Surrey! I drove through there yesterday, what are the chances of that?

One station I keep going back to is "The Buzzer" on 4625kHz... it comes in clear after dark and although a little unsettling it's predictability is reassuring. I synchronised my computer clock so I can tune in one minute before the hour to hear its buzz change to a wail.

Thanks for this thread, AstroZamboni! This isn't something I ever thought I'd be interested in.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Hey, I just picked up my first number station on 5745khz, still broadcasting right now (10:30GMT). Quick Google reckons that it's a frequency the Russians use, unfortunately it's also a frequency the French use and I had to contend with two of them hammering on about baguettes or something while I was trying to listen to strings of numbers.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I don't see any reference to it having SSB though, so you'll miss out on those broadcasts (primarily ear splitting data noise in my experience!)

Edit: and Morse by the bucket. There doesn't seem to be a Morse decoder program for the Mac like there is for Windows, but I'm going to try to decode one of these messages manually. Bet it's tedious as hell or in French!

Horace fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 25, 2008

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The pHo posted:

What Mac do you have? I have a 2ghz Macbook with 2gb of RAM and my copy of XP under Parallels (ie whilst OSX is running, not boot camp which boots one or the other) flies...

I meant that the content of the Morse message would be boring. I don't have Windows, and was hoping there was a Mac equivalent of this soundcard Morse decoding program. But apparently not. Useful tip on one site was to record the broadcast in Audacity, and the dots and dashes are visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

biglads posted:

I've made an extended version of the theme tune (Man of Action by the Les Reed Orchestra) of the early 70's Pirate Radio Ship 'Radio Northsea International', suspected by British Intelligence of being a Stasi Numbers operation :tinfoil:

It is here http://rapidshare.com/files/96589833/MOA_Final.mp3.html and is an extremely cheesy slice of the Seventies.

Hey, thanks for this, it's great. I love this sort of stuff and have hours of the sort of easy listening often referred to as lift/test card/supermarket music by any philistine who happens to overhear it.

• Locked thread