Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Cacatua posted:

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.
Listening to these types of broadcasts while hiding in the stormhouse during a violent thunderstorm makes for an awesome night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
Another Ham guy checking in who also loves SW listening.

Here's a random tip: If you're getting odd interference and you happen to have any 'touch lights' (lamps that turn on and off via touch), try unplugging them. It's amazing how much poo poo they spew.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
Anyone feel like listing their favorites?

Just something like, time, location, frequency and your location would be awesome and a little more 'personal' than scrolling through random spreadsheets of stuff other people listed.

I have a feeling most of us share fairly common interests is all.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
#shortwave on irc.zirc.org for anyone interested.

I'm crashed for the night but thought it might be nice to have a little spot to play some radio.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

Yesterday my boss at the museum (a ham) was shooting off a theory that the church of scientology uses numbers stations to send orders to the sea org. Then again, he has some pretty weird ideas.
Considering it's Scientologists that's not all that weird at all.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Wouldn't they need a FCC license to broadcast stuff from the US? That said they could easily have the transmitter outside the US, or be broadcasting illegally.
I'm fairly sure an FCC license wouldn't condone the sending of ciphered text anyway (I know my ham license doesn't), so either way it seems it would be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Illegal Clown posted:

The only thing I've gotten out of SSB other than the ear splitting data noise was that it made the people speaking sound like they were attacking the Death Star, which I thought was cool in its own way.
If memory serves, that effect was actually created by using SSB CB radios.

• Locked thread