Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Key rule for this thread: please remember that discussion of pirated versions (arcade and console) as well as emulation is prohibited on SA. If you want to discuss sensitive issues, PM's are your friend.

So I figured it was about time to get a Beatmania IIDX thread in games. I've been playing for awhile now, thinking about eventually making a move from the standard PS2 controller to the $400 arcade replica controller. I'm at about level 5/6 but I've recently been improving quite a bit.

It's too bad that the closest arcade version is a very old Beatmania 6th Mix outside of Cleveland. I'm pretty jealous of people who live on the west coast.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwitchCannon
Jul 12, 2002

It's all about versatility, honey - I'm a pitcher and a catcher.
It's too bad I haven't been able to afford (well, okay, so it's not really high on my list compared to other things for the summer) a modded PS2 so I could buy the japanese versions and play forever. I'm rather sick of the crappy BUS thank you very much :mad:

Although I did finally beat V on hyper :v:. Closest machine isn't IIDX, and they won't make a turntable be on the left side, so I get screwed.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I agree, BM-US is crap. The problem I had with BM-US is that the Beatmania IIDX song difficulty wasn't well balanced. It seemed like there were big difficulty gaps between different songs. Plus it lacked the stuff that made the JP versions cool:

1. Achievements and unlocks
2. Score charting (as seen in 10th Style to 14th Style)
3. Awesome songs

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
You live in Ohio, right? Come up to Bowling Green sometime in the fall. We're installing a DistorteD machine at the end of the summer at our student union at BGSU. We've also got Pop'n Music FEVER and Drummania V3 to kick around. It's a good time.

I just got into IIDX again this last week to get myself ready for Bemanifest out in Massachussets on the 27th. They're hosting the only US version of IIDX GOLD in the country (at least for the time being), and it's a week-long gathering of bemani players. It was pretty awesome last year, and they've got Kors K (a'la IIDX fame) coming out to perform again on Saturday the 30th.

I found I can clear the harder 12s a lot easier when I'm angry, I was playing 8th style and finally managed to clear V [a] without random yesterday on my first try along with Colors [a]. I've passed Colors before, but I'm pretty inconsistant with it :shobon:

Anyone else heading out to BMfest?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sam Handwich posted:

You live in Ohio, right? Come up to Bowling Green sometime in the fall. We're installing a DistorteD machine at the end of the summer at our student union at BGSU. We've also got Pop'n Music FEVER and Drummania V3 to kick around. It's a good time.

I just got into IIDX again this last week to get myself ready for Bemanifest out in Massachussets on the 27th. They're hosting the only US version of IIDX GOLD in the country (at least for the time being), and it's a week-long gathering of bemani players. It was pretty awesome last year, and they've got Kors K (a'la IIDX fame) coming out to perform again on Saturday the 30th.

I found I can clear the harder 12s a lot easier when I'm angry, I was playing 8th style and finally managed to clear V [a] without random yesterday on my first try along with Colors [a]. I've passed Colors before, but I'm pretty inconsistant with it :shobon:

Have you updated any online listings to reflect that you now have a 13th Style machine?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I pretty much suck at Beatmania as I linger around levels 4 and 5 on regular 7key. Been playing for a little over a year off and on; wish there was an actual community of players near me so I could be compelled to get better.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Shouldn't DistorteD CS be coming out at some point soon?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah I can't bring myself to start playing on random, even though I hear you break the 10->11 wall that way. Oh well. I still can't clear most 10s anyways.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Have you updated any online listings to reflect that you now have a 13th Style machine?

Why update listings when it's currently in a friend's garage? We'll update Bemanistyle and DDRFreak when we have it set up at BGSU.

DistorteD CS comes out August 30th, if I remember right. Konami recently put up information about it on their IIDX gateway website. There are the usual slew of special editions with all the awesome bonus crap you could ever want. I've already got the stupidly-expensive one pre-ordered :)

The only thing random does in helping you get better is to train you to read more patterns that you wouldn't normally see in most songs, and to train your fingers to be able to react to more patterns. I didn't start using random until I was way into 10s and 11s, so I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 18, 2007

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Do you think Konami's going to keep releasing console versions of Beatmania on PS2 or will they move on to the newer consoles? Methinks a wireless IIDX controller would be quite expensive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sam Handwich posted:

Why update listings when it's currently in a friend's garage? We'll update Bemanistyle and DDRFreak when we have it set up at BGSU.

Ohhh, ok. By the way, totally unrelated, what is your address, and do you have a security system or a menacing dog?

drat, a Distorted machine. This would warrant a whole vacation day from work for this.

I'm working on cracking through some harder stuff, I think I've reached about 4/10 and some 5/10 difficulties. (It's hard to compare stuff.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 18, 2007

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Up Yours Pal! posted:

Do you think Konami's going to keep releasing console versions of Beatmania on PS2 or will they move on to the newer consoles? Methinks a wireless IIDX controller would be quite expensive.

Considering IIDX controllers don't work with any current converters on the PS3, it's probably hard to say. As it is right now, the PS2 is plenty capable of handling all of the graphics used in IIDX, but it would be tough for them to make a switch without losing a LOT of their fanbase. As much as I love IIDX, I'd be hard-pressed to spend around 800+ bucks for a PS3, a new controller and the next game.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sam Handwich posted:

Considering IIDX controllers don't work with any current converters on the PS3, it's probably hard to say. As it is right now, the PS2 is plenty capable of handling all of the graphics used in IIDX, but it would be tough for them to make a switch without losing a LOT of their fanbase. As much as I love IIDX, I'd be hard-pressed to spend around 800+ bucks for a PS3, a new controller and the next game.

Wireless controller would be a bad idea if there was any lag. Hell the problem with old PS2 versions is bad lag on HD monitors. I think that only since Happy Sky CS has there been a lag adjustment available.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Up Yours Pal! posted:

They'll probably change the GUI around and add new features to IIDX 15 to make a new generation of IIDX, and that will lead to the PS3/Wii/360 version of IIDX. Can Bluetooth handle the timing? Maybe, but if not they can just add USB support (something every console has).

Or both. :haw:

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Sam Handwich posted:

Is BG's student union accessible by anyone? I am in cincinnati and the only drummania machine around is 3rd..and it's bad. Also I would love to play the arcade version of beatmania and pop'n, i've never seen them anywhere.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

They'll probably change the GUI around and add new features to IIDX 15 to make a new generation of IIDX, and that will lead to the PS3/Wii/360 version of IIDX. Can Bluetooth handle the timing? Maybe, but if not they can just add USB support (something every console has).

Or both. :haw:

Jesus, I'd love nothing more than to hear that there's a 360 version of Beatmania.

Complete with additional song downloads and achieeeeeeevements.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Rudger posted:

Is BG's student union accessible by anyone? I am in cincinnati and the only drummania machine around is 3rd..and it's bad. Also I would love to play the arcade version of beatmania and pop'n, i've never seen them anywhere.

There's a skatepark in Dayton with a Beatmania 6th Mix. I think it's called 180 skatepark or something, but I know it's arcade's name is Games of Music. They also have GF&dm, DDR EX and ITG2.

HatPerson
Apr 30, 2003

I'll be making an appearance at BMF at the very least that Saturday. I know the owner of TGA pretty well and we had something pretty big planned but plans fell short, at least for this year. Ryu* not being able to come this year was a pretty big blow too. I know I met one of you IIDX playing goons at Anime Boston but I can't remember who.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ohnoitschris posted:

There's a skatepark in Dayton with a Beatmania 6th Mix. I think it's called 180 skatepark or something, but I know it's arcade's name is Games of Music. They also have GF&dm, DDR EX and ITG2.

I never want to play a 6th Mix machine again. EVER. If I was stranded on a desert island with a 6th Mix machine that ran on solar cells, I would hardly touch it.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Rudger posted:

Sure is. Right now the Drummania machine apparently has some speaker issues - we brought it back from ACEN in May, and didn't get a chance to thoroughly test it out again before we had to make the drive back to Chicago. Something about a speaker buzz, if I've heard right from the people who have been out there lately.

The Pop'n works great and there's even a possibility we'll be sporting a Pop'n 15 Adventure upgrade come Christmas-time. It depends on what sort of financial situation my buddy is in around then.

The Union's hours suck pretty bad in the summer, though. They're completely closed on the weekends, and they close early (somewhere in the 5-7pm range) on weekdays so make sure you think about that before you make the long trip out there.

AviH20
Jun 7, 2002

What's the address of the BGSU student union? I haven't played any of these games in a while and I don't think the drive from Columbus is too long for me to make a trip out there to play some Pop'n which hopefully I still remember how to play. Love Drummania too but I kind of suck at it.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
Here's a map, google isn't giving me an exact address

edit: holy poo poo, that's not right at all. You take 75 north to wooster street, and a right on Thurston avenue. If you zoom in on bowling green state university through Google Maps, look for Thurston, then look for the inlet that looks like a :dong: pointing north.

Apparently the game room hours for the next month or so have been lengthened on the weekdays until around 11pm. I haven't had anyone else confirm that, but it's what I've been told.

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 20, 2007

jayzlie
Nov 6, 2002

So what is everybody's thoughts on Gold? I don't think I like much, if any of the new music (the exception being the Ghostbusters music). I'm very content with my DistorteD machine but I have a feeling people are going to bitch to want the newest just because it's the newest. Thoughts from more hardcore players?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Oh hey another beatmania IIDX thread!

It's a shame, all the IIDX machines in Texas have pretty much disappeared. I got an Konami ASC and all the IIDX styles out, but it's just not the same.

jayzlie posted:

So what is everybody's thoughts on Gold? I don't think I like much, if any of the new music (the exception being the Ghostbusters music). I'm very content with my DistorteD machine but I have a feeling people are going to bitch to want the newest just because it's the newest. Thoughts from more hardcore players?

I'm not a hardcore player, but it seems that lately songs are a lot more hit or miss compared to older styles. For me, it seems to be every other style that's good music (9th, RED, DistorteD) and the others still have great songs but don't stack up on the whole.

AviH20
Jun 7, 2002

Sam Handwich posted:

Here's a map, google isn't giving me an exact address

edit: holy poo poo, that's not right at all. You take 75 north to wooster street, and a right on Thurston avenue. If you zoom in on bowling green state university through Google Maps, look for Thurston, then look for the inlet that looks like a :dong: pointing north.

Apparently the game room hours for the next month or so have been lengthened on the weekdays until around 11pm. I haven't had anyone else confirm that, but it's what I've been told.

Thanks. I think I'll have a day to make the trip next week sometime. It would be great to know if the 11pm bit is true or not before doing so though. Maybe I'll even practice a bit before hand and see if I remember how to play Pop'n.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
GOLD is supposedly better than everything before it, because they finally fixed the timing so that it plays like the console versions.

*sigh* I wish there was a IIDX machine in the UK. Konami once actually shipped every current Bemani (IIDX and GFDM, I think their Popn machine was broken) ever to the UK for an arcade convention, let us play on them for two days, and then decided not to sell any of them to arcade operators.

Yeah, gently caress you too Konami.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I like GOLD a lot, being lucky enough to get to play at a test machine and distorted being 100% functional is nice. Not really anything all that amazing or special about it, but I only got 3 games in.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
I played a huge amount in the two times I went for the location test - I loved every minute of it. Sure, the songs are hit or miss in GOLD, but so many of them hit for me this time around. The timing was inconsistant, but I have no idea where you heard about the CS-timing thing. It was generally the exact same timing as the last few 'modern' arcade styles.

Smile is the best song in IIDX in a long time :3:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

kimcicle posted:

For me, it seems to be every other style that's good music (9th, RED, DistorteD) and the others still have great songs but don't stack up on the whole.

Oh barf; are you kidding? I'm the opposite; I can't stand 9 and 11. 10's my favorite mix. It's about all I can stand to play these days, really. I hope 13 has some good stuff on it.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
I am so terrible at beatmania. I barely ever play it. I can only do 6s on IIDX and 7s on regular. The only beatmania machines I've ever played on was a 3rd mix (ahahahah) and a 5th mix.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I guess I'm special. :downs: On pretty much every mix there's about 25 songs that I really like, so I'm cool with whatever. I can't do anything really crazy though, still struggling to pass more 8s mostly. I have a couple of friends who can pass Mei 7K though and it's pretty crazy watching them do it, although it's apparently not too bad after the speed-up.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

leather fedora posted:

I guess I'm special. :downs: On pretty much every mix there's about 25 songs that I really like, so I'm cool with whatever. I can't do anything really crazy though, still struggling to pass more 8s mostly.

While there aren't that many songs I like on most mixes (although I love Red) I somehow fail to care. Unlike some people I play iidx for the hitting the keys real fast at the right time, the music isn't much more than a metronome for me.

I'm also trying to finish off the last five or so 8s on happy sky CS but they're hard.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 21, 2007

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hell, some of the music is pretty awesome. We might as well list favorite tracks:

4th Style: Jive into the Night
5th Style: Sync, The Shining Polaris, IIDX
6th Style: Route 80s
7th Style: Last Message
RED: Kekak, Red Zone
Happy Sky: Get em up to R.A.V.E., Plasma, First Resolution
Distorted: Sun Field
Gold: Second Heaven

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho
It would really suck if Beatmania was bumped up to the newer generation of consoles. If it was on the 360, you would basically be screwed out of playing it, assuming Konami region locked it. Same for thing for the Wii, though with that you don't run the risk of getting your console banned from the online service for modding it, at least I don't think..? The ps3 would just be too expensive just for Beatmania. With the cost of the console, importing the new game, and importing a controller, I would never think about spending that much money. Here's to hoping it stays on the PS2 at least for another few versions.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Oh oh, I can do this.

9: Quasar
10: Rainbow rainbow
RED: gently caress dis mix
HS: Little Little Princess (first 10 I passed)
DD: Zenius -I- vanisher
GOLD: snow storm

Overall I've liked most of the last 6 mixes with the exception of RED. I haven't played a lot of GOLD's songs yet though.

eepberries posted:

It would really suck if Beatmania was bumped up to the newer generation of consoles. If it was on the 360, you would basically be screwed out of playing it, assuming Konami region locked it. Same for thing for the Wii, though with that you don't run the risk of getting your console banned from the online service for modding it, at least I don't think..? The ps3 would just be too expensive just for Beatmania. With the cost of the console, importing the new game, and importing a controller, I would never think about spending that much money. Here's to hoping it stays on the PS2 at least for another few versions.
If this game moved to the Wii it would be the single one thing that will force me to mod mine.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
8th: Funky Bingo Paradise, I.C.F.5800, WAR GAME, Thunder
9th: E-motion 2003, Quasar, Sweetest Savage
10th: Pandora, One More Lovely, HIGH
RED: RED ZONE, AA
HAPPY SKY: Twelfth Style, Rakuen, Ore Wa Beatmania etc. etc.
DistorteD: Waxing and Wanding, WISH(EUROBEAT REMIX), Bloody Tears, Winning Eleven remix, Broadbanded
GOLD: Smile, FIRE FIRE, KAMAITACHI, GOLD RUSH, WATCH OUT!!, Vanessa

I've loved the last 3 styles, but 9th 10th and RED didn't do nearly as much for me. I love the music in 10th, but playing songs left me wanting something more. I think I just overplayed RED in the arcade, so I got really sick of everything from it.

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2007

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Zo posted:

10: Rainbow rainbow
Ryu is probably my favorite beatmania musician. Be Quiet is just awesome.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Zo posted:

Yeah I can't bring myself to start playing on random, even though I hear you break the 10->11 wall that way. Oh well. I still can't clear most 10s anyways.

I am pretty much NEAR the same point as you, except I cannot pass more than 3 or 4 Another 10s with about 30-40 7k 10s still in my path and even quite a few 9s. Notably, I can pass Mei and Xepher 7k (as well as Scream Squad) but I cannot pass Frozen Ray 7k, Sphere (well, once) 7k, and the fact that either version of Colors is a 9 makes me laugh my balls off. IIDX difficulty system is so erratic, Little Little Princess took me like 1 try to pass when I couldn't even do half the 9s, yet I cannot visualize myself passing a large portion of the 9s (especially in mixes before 11th as I've become so used to High Speed 4.5/sometimes 5).

Man, I loving hate this game sometimes, it always feels like I'm wasting time and getting progressively worse :(

12th: Garden, Strongest Jaeger remix, Aurora, several others (my favorite style probably)
11th: Scorp Fire, Red Zone, Sphere, Car of Your Dreams (possibly my least favorite mix, come to think of it, I used to love this and now...so many completely poo poo songs)
10th: Freezing Atmosphere, Setsugekka, Rainbow Rainbow, Lucy (lots of good songs but a bunch of REALLY bad stuff like Space Fight)
9th: Sweet Sweet Love Magic, Abyss THR, Moon_child (again, a very weak mix imo)
8th: Flute Man, Murmur Twins, Kakumei but the chart is AWFUL (Old mixes can be hit or miss, I don't love the licenses)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
So much Red hate is disappointing. I mean, come on, it had Super Eurobeat songs again not to mention AA, Ageha, RED ZONE, Hope of Tomorrow, Sphere (better than Xepher), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I still stand by the fact that 4th Style is the best style ever to exist.

Jive Into The Night
Fantasy
Starmine
B4U
DXY!
Mr.T. (take me higher)
Ultra High-Heels
Voltage

But I can play the whole "best songs of these styles" game too.

5th: Radical Faith, QQQ, Spin the Disc
6th: Beautiful Days, Colors, Something Wonderful
7th: The Beauty of Silence, Heartbeat, Spooky
8th: Funky Bingo Paradise, Lab, Murmur Twins
9th: Abyss ~THR~, Distress, Love <3 Shine
10th: DoLL, Innocent Walls, No Doubt Get Loud
RED: Ageha, Red Zone, Sphere, The Hope of Tomorrow
HS: Aurora, Happy Angel, Plasma, Votum stellarum