Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sam Handwich posted:

Okay seriously, this has completely consumed my day, and I need to share it with you guys.

http://bbr.eucaly.net/bbr2nd/bbr2nd/bbr2nd.swf

Ahh.. there's one problem with it that makes it impossible to play for me. You only have 1 button assigned for scratching, and that doesn't fly on a IIDX controller, because you can't do two quick scratches in a row.

I really don't want to play on keyboard :(

Another minor problem is that it gets really choppy at higher speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
Use Joy2Key and just set the up and down scratch both to shift, that should take care of your problem

I've always been used to using the keyboard for sims. I always consider it too big of a pain in the rear end to lug my controller over to my computer, so I just make due. It's seemed to work just fine for me, if I've been able to make it this far. I can see why you wouldn't like it though, it's pretty cramped.

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 30, 2007

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sam Handwich posted:

Use Joy2Key and just set the up and down scratch both to shift, that should take care of your problem

That's what I do, but if two quick scratch notes come I can't hit both of them no matter what. Joy2key thinks I'm pressing the same button once, over a long period of time.

This is why pretty much every other sim uses two buttons (usually ctrl and shift).

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
My DJ Dao Platinum came in today and holy crap is it awesome. My only issue with it is that in certain positions the truntable is harder to turn than in others, and the turntable has like no grip whatsoever. Combined, I'm missing scratches more than I figured I would from just getting used to the distance change.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok, I've gotta post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppgVjUYXXc

It's the song "Gold Rush" from IIDX Gold, except there seems to be one problem...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three-Phase posted:

It's the song "Gold Rush" from IIDX Gold, except there seems to be one problem...

so much potential in that idea, they could've used "fish style"

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Oh god this is hilarious.

In other news, IIDX GOLD is very pretty.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I know some kid in Japan is going to die from a epileptic seizure while watching the background video for Gold Rush. :smith:

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Man I just started a few days ago and I can barely pass 3s =/ I thought I'd be alright at this since I'm really good at stepmania too, gently caress.

This is also pretty embarassing considering I can pass ridiculous poo poo like Quasar on an ITG2 R21 cabinet but can't seem to do it with my loving fingers :mad:

Does standing up with the controller sitting on a flat, stable surface help a lot or what?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Priam posted:

Man I just started a few days ago and I can barely pass 3s =/ I thought I'd be alright at this since I'm really good at stepmania too, gently caress.

This is also pretty embarassing considering I can pass ridiculous poo poo like Quasar on an ITG2 R21 cabinet but can't seem to do it with my loving fingers :mad:

Does standing up with the controller sitting on a flat, stable surface help a lot or what?

For some people yes, other people no. Honestly I'd say DDR is one of the few bemani that doesn't carry over to anything else, since IIDXers can play Pop'n well and Poppers tend to be decent at Drummania; but it's amazing what three more things to keep track of and a turntable can do to you.

Plus the fact that you have to deal with 5+ notes at a time, too. :)

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
The learning curve for IIDX is ridiculous no matter what experience you have: music game or actual piano playing skills.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I dunno, I'd like to think my experiences with DDR helped translate more skill into beatmania IIDX (mostly pertaining to rhythm). After playing beatmania IIDX for a while, though, it seems that all other music games can be picked up a lot easier.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I fixed the turntable on my new controller (replaced the small plastic disc with slicker plastic on top of a cut-up white t-shirt) and now it's absolutely perfect. I'm still getting used to the bigger distance between the keys and turntable, but I'm already doing better than I was before.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

kimcicle posted:

I dunno, I'd like to think my experiences with DDR helped translate more skill into beatmania IIDX (mostly pertaining to rhythm). After playing beatmania IIDX for a while, though, it seems that all other music games can be picked up a lot easier.

Well yeah my timing is already perfect, 90-95% of the notes I hit are perfects, thus I already AAA pretty much everything I can pass.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

your playstyle will develop no matter how you choose to play. just go with whatever is more comfortable. i am tall and have long arms, so i play standing up. i can't really play sitting down because i feel as if i am cramping myself up too much. of course, the trade-off is standing for hours at a time as opposed to sitting.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I tried getting a HDTV today, just to see if it would work with IIDX.

It really, really didn't work with IIDX. This isn't even worth trying. Fortunately the folks at Best Buy weren't doucebags about the return.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
The Official IIDX DistorteD CS website just opened up about a half hour ago, with video previews of the new songs.

http://www.konami.jp/bemani/bm2dx/gs/13distorted/newsong/

Go Beyond!! is far and beyond (derp) my favorite of the bunch. I really like all of the crossovers, but there isn't enough of any of them to really know how they sound. A couple of the non-crossover songs seem kind of forgettable to me, but I'm always pretty impressed at how the CS lists turn out. WaterCube is so much better than IceCube, which is good enough for me.

If it makes any difference to anyone, Quell ~the seventh slave~ is supposed to be the most note-heavy CS [a] chart to ever come out. They ran a little competition a few weeks ago to let fans try to guess the total notecount of the chart, saying it was going to rival Mei or Nageki No Ki. :what:

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 2, 2007

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Priam posted:

Well yeah my timing is already perfect, 90-95% of the notes I hit are perfects, thus I already AAA pretty much everything I can pass.

AAA on the BMUS scale, or AAA on a Japanese style? The grading on those are pretty different.

Sam Handwich posted:

If it makes any difference to anyone, Quell ~the seventh slave~ is supposed to be the most note-heavy CS [a] chart to ever come out. They ran a little competition a few weeks ago to let fans try to guess the total notecount of the chart, saying it was going to rival Mei or Nageki No Ki. :what:

Horray for another song I'll never get to play!

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
http://www.konami.jp/am/locationtest/2dx15/

:whatup:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

No suprise since milestone had the track listed as being in IIDX 15th, but still awesome.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Ah damnit, you beat me to it.

Location test starts in < 12 hours, so We'll probably have more information flooding in by the end of tomorrow night about it. I'm excited to see how they're going to do the interface for this.

Please oh please let the asletics make a return for a second WAR GAME

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
IIDX 15: DJ TROOPERS

Hahahaha oh wow. Konami just lost its mind again.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 9, 2007

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
I have a technique question for everyone / especially advanced people. What side do you prefer the turntable on with respect to your hand dominance? I'm right handed but have been playing with the TT on the left. It recently occured to me that I may be able to play better with it on the right. My controller was stolen 2 months ago and I'm about to buy a new one thus I figured if anytime to switch times now is probably it. So, IIDX players, what is your preference and also please list if you are right / left / ambi.

Also I wanted to bump this thread for DJ TROOOOOOPERS. I pray with this theme they get something that can even remotely rival gold rush which I think everyone can agree has total dominance for best IIDX song ever.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
I've only met one or two people who've ever been able to comfortably play with the TT on either side. Most people start on one or the other and just stick with it. Usually, people who play right side started out playing 5-key beatmania that way since they [mostly] didn't have a choice. A lot of people who start on IIDX play with the TT on the left for whatever reason too, I doubt it actually has much to do with what hand is dominent. I think it'd be a lot easier to just continue on with what you're doing than to start over and try to make the adjustment to the other side. I'm left handed, but I mostly play with my right hand in IIDX, and I do just fine so take that how you want.

A few DJ TROOPERS videos have leaked already - the interface looks pretty neat, I really dig the green. Out of the few songs that show up on the videos (a bunch of them are repeats, japanese players all seem to be sticking to the same 5-6 songs out of the whole bunch for some reason), I think I liked the Zeckbach overture and Dazzlin' Darlin the best.

It's a pretty small preview though, 17 or 18 songs in all if you include SP and DP. They only had a few of the DP charts finished for the Shonen A remix, as it wasn't playable on single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Gxh88jVeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FJNc1IoY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEUsQroQ5Wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Z291Hnggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUUHxyCDLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJTgU2i2ZU

Sam Handwich fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 9, 2007

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Sam Handwich posted:

Vids

gently caress. Yes. Blue Rain is in. I love that song.

Edit: Digging the green interface a surprising amount. Also the overture loving owns.

Bahahaha is that a no recording sign in the second location test video also? That's pretty funny.

Onion Rings fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2007

Justice Waffle
Dec 7, 2004

No, seriously dude, he's fucking vicious!
Slake?

SLAKE?

SLAAAAAAAAAKE

.... I just had to say it. Anyway, IIDX 15 seems to be a bit more dramatic and interesting turn for the series and I like it a lot. Also, more Nekomata Master and wac's remix of A. This should be fun. Oh, and the interface is sexy too.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Sam Handwich posted:

I've only met one or two people who've ever been able to comfortably play with the TT on either side. Most people start on one or the other and just stick with it. Usually, people who play right side started out playing 5-key beatmania that way since they [mostly] didn't have a choice. A lot of people who start on IIDX play with the TT on the left for whatever reason too, I doubt it actually has much to do with what hand is dominent. I think it'd be a lot easier to just continue on with what you're doing than to start over and try to make the adjustment to the other side. I'm left handed, but I mostly play with my right hand in IIDX, and I do just fine so take that how you want.

I'm right handed. I started playing with the TT on the left. Then I started playing doubles and I'm hitting a major wall in the dexterity of my left hand so I might "start over" with the TT on the right side and see if I can make my left hand nimble enough to hit the keys too.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Three-Phase posted:

Er, I don't get it. It sounds like a lot of Japanese engrish music.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rei_ posted:

Er, I don't get it. It sounds like a lot of Japanese engrish music.

You see, the song normally goes through all the releases in the middle. 1st style, Substream, Second style, Third style, etc, etc, Red, Happy Sky, DistorteD, and then he yells IIDX GOOOOOLD. Only they changed that.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Onion Rings posted:

gently caress. Yes. Blue Rain is in. I love that song.

...I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's marked on milestone as FROM IIDX 15, in caps too.

Onion Rings posted:

Bahahaha is that a no recording sign in the second location test video also? That's pretty funny.

Yeah, you can tell that they weren't really supposed to shoot the video due to the angle and whatnot. The lengths that people go through for the bemani community.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
I miss playing IIDX. I really don't have much else to say besides that :( I think I'm going to have to take a roadtrip soon to play again.

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

Justice Waffle posted:

Slake?

SLAKE?

SLAAAAAAAAAKE

.... I just had to say it.

And I just have to quote you saying it. :iamafag:

I'm really looking forward to the new zektbach song and the new HANDZ UP! song, but kind of sad kors k made a song in another bad genre.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I see a problem.

These new versions of IIDX desperately need a lot more :siren::rice:SPEED RAVE:rice::siren:.

But the Handz Up (Buicciage Trance) is nice too.

parasyte posted:

You see, the song normally goes through all the releases in the middle. 1st style, Substream, Second style, Third style, etc, etc, Red, Happy Sky, DistorteD, and then he yells IIDX GOOOOOLD. Only they changed that.

On a sad note, there is also a music video of Gold Rush with furries dancing to the song. :smith:

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

Sam Handwich posted:

Okay seriously, this has completely consumed my day, and I need to share it with you guys.

http://bbr.eucaly.net/bbr2nd/bbr2nd/bbr2nd.swf

This is probably the best flash-based IIDX simulator out there. It's 100% original music, with some work done by some pretty popular J-core and rave artists out there like REDALiCE and Cranky. The first mix of this came out sometime last year, and was pretty awesome right out of the gate, but about a month or two ago, they released the 2nd mix of it. More than twice the music, with all of the songs from the 1st mix added in. 4 extra stages, and I think there's a One More Extra Stage too, but I can't figure out how to access it. Even after playing it nonstop for like 4 or 5 hours today, I think there are still songs left to unlock, because they keep popping up at completely random times, just when I think I've gotten everything.

There are unlockable skins, background images, song select tracks, note bursts and burst colors, plus a persistant online top-10 for every song on every difficulty. I've actually managed to make it onto a few of the lists on a few songs, and even got a 1st on a song on Hyper, so I'm pretty stoked. It keeps record of your dj name and all of your accomplishments in a cookie too (or maybe on their server?), so if you come back to it later, all of your information will still be on-hand.

Okay, I was playing this earlier today and I unlocked the EXTREME FOLDER with 4 more songs after I beat HAPPY RAINBOW on normal with hard mode turned on. Before I went into the folder, though, I went to the main menu and checked if I had unlocked any new skins. When I went back to the song list to look at the new folder it was gone. :(

Is there any way to get it back?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Idiot posted:

Okay, I was playing this earlier today and I unlocked the EXTREME FOLDER with 4 more songs after I beat HAPPY RAINBOW on normal with hard mode turned on. Before I went into the folder, though, I went to the main menu and checked if I had unlocked any new skins. When I went back to the song list to look at the new folder it was gone. :(

Is there any way to get it back?

Check this link out, it's the secrets page of the bbr website run through a translation website. It's all in engrish, but it's pretty easy to figure out what you have to do for each.

Or you could just bypass it all and put in the code to unlock it all for you. I thought it was a lot more gratifying to do it manually though :)

NekoMiki
May 10, 2006
I have equal signs for whiskers.

Three-Phase posted:

On a sad note, there is also a music video of Gold Rush with furries dancing to the song. :smith:

I like this one better since "7th style" is perfectly synced. http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwmD9XuNSU

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

Sam Handwich posted:

Check this link out, it's the secrets page of the bbr website run through a translation website. It's all in engrish, but it's pretty easy to figure out what you have to do for each.

Or you could just bypass it all and put in the code to unlock it all for you. I thought it was a lot more gratifying to do it manually though :)

Hey, thanks! I managed to get the EXTREME FOLDER to appear again. Also, that translator kicks BabelFish's rear end. I actually found the secrets page before but with BabelFish I couldn't understand any of it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

NekoMiki posted:

I like this one better since "7th style" is perfectly synced. http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwmD9XuNSU

LOL Japan (I think I've heard of this guy, he's pretty famous.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just got Lunatic Rave working on my computer! It was a little more work than usual, but it looks like it's working! I've got a working bar graph and score saving!

Plus I'm getting the IIDX GOLD skin as we speak! :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Wow I just looked into Lunatic Rave. Since everything I read about it seems to indicate it is a giant bitch to install is there one specific guide to installing already written / would you write one or at least general tips? It looks pretty awesome.