Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I want to read this again. What volume does He get his armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

I want to read this again. What volume does He get his armor?

Volume 26

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I'd have thought that with the Dreamcast game being released in the US, they'd give the PS2 version the same treatment, but sadly they didn't. It sucks, because it was even cooler than the DC one, and focuses on the entire Millenium Falcon story arc instead of a new story made solely for the game, so definitely one of my better imports. Some versions came with a Guts statue if you preordered :eek:

COOL

Nate RFB posted:

The anime is a glorified commercial for the manga. I love the anime myself but the two don't deserve to be in the same sentence. You won't regret checking it out if you liked the anime.

Yeah, I watched it before I had even heard that it was based on a manga at first. The best analogy came from someone here that said its the equivalent of getting a really awesome BJ from a hot nun, and right as you're about to climax she walks away forever. It was a pretty awesome week of reading when I learned about it 2 years ago

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Well, after looking over this thread a few days I finally gave in to the Berserk hype and read it for the first time. I decided to dig into it over the weekend... That's some brutal stuff. It took me awhile but I plowed through the whole thing.

Long rant on rape in the series below. Skip if you don't want to read some complaining...

It seems like the series lightened up on all the sex and rape in the last 6-7 volumes which was nice. Outside of constantly feeling horrified for the victims it's a really good series. Every time a new monster came up though I began to wonder what poor soul would be raped this time around. It's the kind of series I wouldn't mind owning, but I have a feeling it wouldn't fly with the girlfriend. I'm not sure I could provide any type of convincing justification for some of the rape scenes. Sure the skin is nothing worse than what you would see in Cinemax, but I'm not sure numerous pages of Caska's rape would really go over very well... even if it's meant to give Guts his drive. At some point it goes beyond a story point and becomes gratuitous. How to show the trolls are evil, yes let's show them killing and RAPING someone. How to show the King of Midland is evil? Ugh, I get it, the monsters and bad men rape and sexually assault. Since that hasn't happened in the last few volumes I hope that means we'll be spared any further scenes of it. And yes, I don't have a big problem with violence, it's so over the top gratuitous which probably makes it easier to take. The rapes though happen on a personal level and seem to be depicted in more pages than necessary, which makes it difficult to keep having to read and view. I'll repeat just to make sure someone doesn't misundertand me, I don't have a problem with the fact rapes occur, that's an unfortunate fact of literature and real life. I have a problem with the fact that more pages seem to be devoted to the act than necessary. At some point it goes beyond a story point and seems to be there to titilate the reader, which I think is disgusting. Compare the rapes of Guts and Caska, both are crucial story points, but we don't have pages upon pages of Guts getting violated as a boy. It was a lot more tasteful for that reason. Not that you guys can do anything about it, I just had to get it off my chest. (And please don't give me any "Well if you don't like it, stop reading!" or "Rape is brutal and should be depicted as such." I know rape is brutal, I just think it became more gratuitous than it should have been to be taken seriously).

In any case, the series seems to have lightened up a bit (if possible) around the time Schierke was introduced so it was definately a change for the better. I'll keep on reading and hopefully Miura will be able to reach a point where he can pump out chapters every other week. (I can dream, can't I?) You can really see the development of his art skills as the series progressed, and the detail in his most recent work is amazing.

And now on to other things.

It appears like all the releases of two of the later chapters are messed up. Chapter 250 and 258 are from two different volumes and are the same chapter. It appears chapter 258 is the one not actually in the releases online. Can anyone help me locate that? 250 appears to be the one about Sonia returning to the Hawk camp, while 258 is something else. So it appears the non-Hawk camp 258 is the one I need.

Also, I've read that chapter 83(?) was left out of the volume 13 release. Is that the case for both the Japanese and English release?

EDIT: I also forgot to say, that the Skull Knight is about the most badass looking and acting character in the history of manga. That is all.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 2, 2007

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Guerilla Medic posted:

AFter you've watched the anime, be sure to watch the outtakes.
The VA's regulary go crazy midrecording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwBpwcEoa68&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-I3lddxYsc&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzLsYD5vfc&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwWvQzMX-Y&mode=related&search=
"Why don't you go along and catch up without me. No wait. That's not gonna work."

Also, the english dub is superior to to original VA's, in my opinion :frogbon:

I loved that they included these in the DVD. I wish more companies would do this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Guerilla Medic posted:

AFter you've watched the anime, be sure to watch the outtakes.
The VA's regulary go crazy midrecording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwBpwcEoa68&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-I3lddxYsc&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzLsYD5vfc&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwWvQzMX-Y&mode=related&search=
"Why don't you go along and catch up without me. No wait. That's not gonna work."

Also, the english dub is superior to to original VA's, in my opinion :frogbon:

I pretty much died when Guts broke into "Berserker" :lol:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Griffith's va singing a Little Mermaid song while the character is supposed to be in a fit of despair after years of cruelty and torture is just about the most twisted thing ever :xd:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There are so many great moments in the outtakes. If I had to pick a single one I'd have to say that the exchanges between Guts and Caska about her in the dress are the best.

No, wait, "She wants you to stuff her like a Thanksgiving turkey" is the best, oh god I can't choose. :shobon:

injate
Jan 29, 2006

I'm really bad at trying to act high and mighty, let alone be high and mighty.

Sindai posted:

There are so many great moments in the outtakes. If I had to pick a single one I'd have to say that the exchanges between Guts and Caska about her in the dress are the best.

No, wait, "She wants you to stuff her like a Thanksgiving turkey" is the best, oh god I can't choose. :shobon:
I nominate "My love for you is like a truck".

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I prefer subs better on Berserk, there were a few english casted voices I personally didn't think fit the characters, but the outtakes are loving hilarious. One of my favorites is when Guts and Griffith are walking back to the palace, and I believe Guts' VA says "Life aint nothing but bitches and money." Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while. Ah, good times.

Jimmybob fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 2, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Teek posted:

In any case, the series seems to have lightened up a bit (if possible) around the time Schierke was introduced so it was definately a change for the better. I'll keep on reading and hopefully Miura will be able to reach a point where he can pump out chapters every other week. (I can dream, can't I?) You can really see the development of his art skills as the series progressed, and the detail in his most recent work is amazing.

I hate to tell you this, but welcome to the ring of hell that is being a Berserk fan: over the three years since I started reading this, the time between his chapters has been growing consistently longer. He's not picking up the pace; he's slowing down, and he's slowing down precisely because his art has gotten that much more detailed and elaborate. You can have Bleach's update schedule and Bleach's art (it's not bad, but it is very simple to draw) or you can have Berserk's update schedule and Berserk's art. There's no way to have Bleach's update schedule and Berserk's art. Quality takes time . . . and four month vacations. Miura! :argh:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, it's a hopeless dream. I wonder if getting the crew out on the sea will be easier for him to draw rather than huge armies. Of course now he's going to simply spend his time super-detailing the ship...

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

It seems that for that last 4 volumes or so the manga has degenerated into a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. What with the magical items and cute witches and stuff like that, and nothing is happening plotwise, I just hope they dump Caska in fairyland soon, ditch the D&D party, and get on with the cool stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Flying-Chip posted:

and nothing is happening plotwise

Are we reading the same manga here or something? In the past four volumes we've had the Kusuhan Empire begin their invasion of the port city, the subsequent fight with Guts in the Berserker Armor with the Kusuhan wizard and then Emperor Ganshika's avatar itself, which had Guts managing to for the first time get half control of the armor (with Schierke's help). Then we had the arrival of the Band ot the Hawk, Griffith being announced as the King-to-be of Midland, the foremost force combatting Kusuhan forces, and practically recognized by the Pope as basically a Prophet/ Saviour of all of Christendom.

Yep no plot at all

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
I really like the other characters in Guts party. Serpico is my favorite and Schierke is my second favorite. Right now Farneze and Caska are pretty useless but Farneze is learning new tricks and Caska hanging around getting in trouble usually sends Guts on a rampage. So it all works out. I just wonder what will happen with Caska. I forget who warned Guts, but I think it foreshadows that Caska wont be the same :( ever again

edit: i am bad with names

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 2, 2007

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Gwynne posted:

I forget who warned Guts, but I think it foreshadows that Caska wont be the same :( ever again

I want to say that it was Schierke's mentor. And it makes sense, too; given the sheer horror of the Eclipse and what the aftermath has inflicted at least on Guts, perhaps ignorance is bliss. I interpreted the warning as if she ever gets her senses back she'll be an utterly broken person.

SCF
Nov 8, 2000

Gwynne posted:

I really like the other characters in Guts party. Serpico is my favorite and Schierke is my second favorite. Right now Farneze and Caska are pretty useless but Farneze is learning new tricks and Caska hanging around getting in trouble usually sends Guts on a rampage. So it all works out. I just wonder what will happen with Caska. I forget who warned Guts, but I think it foreshadows that Caska wont be the same :( ever again

edit: i am bad with names

It was the skull knight, and he said something like "What you wish for may not be what she wishes for", which suggests that she may become sane again, but it doesn't mean she'll happily stick with the gang afterwards.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Origami posted:

It was the skull knight, and he said something like "What you wish for may not be what she wishes for", which suggests that she may become sane again, but it doesn't mean she'll happily stick with the gang afterwards.

If she ends up going to Griffith and joins the Hawks again because "that's her place", I'm pretty sure Guts is going to turn into the most angry being ever created. Ever.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

On Caska's future:

Yeah, I get the feeling the Knight meant that if she got her mind back, she would have to live with the sheer horror of what happened to her. The fact she's in this child-like state means she doesn't have to really face that. So if she is given some option whether to stay that way or regain her senses, she may choose to stay that way. Of course I have a feeling we'll get some internalization of her mind made by the Elf King where Guts will be able to talk to her which will make her choose to regain her faculties.

And when she finally gets the chance to get some sweet, sweet revenge againt Griffith, it will be great.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Of course, here I am stuck with only the anime. There aren't many places to buy Manga out where I live. [Or, for that matter, where i'm at now.]

That doesn't stop Guts from being a total badass, and the story being very well-placed and drawn. All the way up to the ending, which left more plotholes open then a bad fanfiction.

It was also the only DVD anime I know that had outtakes, where people either flubbed the lines, or improved. And you start to notcie Griffith's VA likes to sing...a lot.

Also, Caska wants someone to suck her C*ck, as she so enthusiastically screams whenever she flubs a line. Somewhat answers the question as to where most series find their american voice actors.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Teek posted:

And when she finally gets the chance to get some sweet, sweet revenge againt Griffith, it will be great.

This would be more awesome then anything I could hope for but I dont think it will happen :(

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Perhaps sometime when I am supremely bored I should do a "Berserk body count" and get some character/chapter/volume kill stats since Berserk racks them up as much as a bad FPS game. But it would take ages to count them all...

injate
Jan 29, 2006

I'm really bad at trying to act high and mighty, let alone be high and mighty.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Perhaps sometime when I am supremely bored I should do a "Berserk body count" and get some character/chapter/volume kill stats since Berserk racks them up as much as a bad FPS game. But it would take ages to count them all...

No need to reinvent the wheel:

http://www.skullknight.net/roster/

categorized, page numbers, and everything.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

injate posted:

Sweet, but too bad it only covers Guts' kills though, I was suggesting the TOTAL body count covering the entire manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

injate posted:

I'm surprised that I am surprised that that page exists.

Seriously, over one thousand kills on-page. No wonder his sword enchanted itself.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
These waits between chapters are agony.
I miss when I could read three volumes of Berserk in one sitting. :(

Maybe I'll take a hiatus and let the chapters pile up again...

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Thank you OP for that berserk website, it is a lot easier to catchup then downloading chapters.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

injate posted:

I'm not really shocked as much as enlightened.

That man has literally killed off about a full-sized infantry batallion, with a good amount left over, all of them filled with the usual cannon fodder to demons that border on godlike.

That, in itself, is an amazing feat. But I think it miscounted the 100 soldiers he killed in the woodland clearing. It didn't look like one hundred to me...but it may have been a trick, due to the sheer size of the list.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Don't forget there's the countless amount of people and monsters killed off page during the time spans of his life we don't see :metal101:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, this is only counting the ON PAGE kills. There are hundreds or thousands more that were implied or off page. Guts: the original human natural disaster.

Repeating the echo in here I barely remember the anime, except for the last episode which was one of the biggest :wtf: moments I have ever seen. I didn't know about the manga at the time, but now I know that the anime doesn't compare to the manga at all, the manga is on a whole different level. As for the release schedule, they are so far apart that I usually forget about the series in favor of weekly stuff and then it is a pleasant surprise when I see one come out.

noface
Jun 19, 2002

Anyone know the best way to go about purchasing the manga in the U.S.? I had bought the first four or so volumes when they were released a few years back, but it was a huge pain in the rear end finding them in person (half the stores would keep their copies "in the back"). Have their been any compilations released, or is there a decent place to buy what's out for a good price?

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

noface posted:

Anyone know the best way to go about purchasing the manga in the U.S.? I had bought the first four or so volumes when they were released a few years back, but it was a huge pain in the rear end finding them in person (half the stores would keep their copies "in the back"). Have their been any compilations released, or is there a decent place to buy what's out for a good price?

Borders sells them but I would check out e-bay and save a few bucks.

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
You can get them at a decent price from amazon.com, rightstuf.com, and animecornerstore.com. I buy almost all of my anime and manga online, it's much easier to find the product you want at a decent price, especially because they ship warehouse direct, whereas the retailers only buy so much because shelf space is limited.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trailer for the PS2 Berserk game is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4ZYRN5QFg

It's a shame Susumu Hirasawa one did this one song for it, the soundtrack he did for the Dreamcast game was awesome.

ichiban
Sep 18, 2004
Phew, just went through Volumes 1-26 in a little less than a week. I haev fallen in love with this manga so quickly. Every single character is fleshed out perfectly, with just enough back story and interaction with other characters to make them seem like real people. Seeing Gutts' life change so dramatically over the course of the first few volumes is astounding. Everyone in the manga started with a dream somewhere, only to have most of them violently and grotesquely shifted into something else. I've never been enthralled by seeing characters grow in the way that I am with this story. Certain elements of this story really intrigue me, such as the heirarchy of demons/gods, and the way causality shapes everyone's fate.

Aside from the story, I feel like I have to reiterate how incredible the artwork is. I know, I know, it's been said over and over again, but he really does improve drastically over the course of the manga. There is so much detail thrown into every panel. The expressions on peoples faces are magnificently captured by crosshatched wrinkles and lighting so realistic that I can't believe someone can draw this sort of thing off the top of their head. And the fight scenes...Oh god. The page spreads of Gutts tearing the poo poo out of whatever monster he's fighting at the time. Every panel is like a meticulously mastered painting, which I think is fitting with the story as well. It gives it a sort of antiquated look, while having enough modern elements to pique my interest.

Enough rambling, I could write a loving book about how much I love this manga. I'm so caught up in the story now. READ BERSERK. NOW.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, this is only counting the ON PAGE kills. There are hundreds or thousands more that were implied or off page. Guts: the original human natural disaster.

Vash is the Human Natural Disaster [Typhoon.]

Guts is more like the unholy spawn between the 'Little Boy' Bomb and the Energizer Bunny. He just keeps killing, and killing, and killing, ad infinium.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I wonder if it was always Miura's plan to re-incarnate Griffith? It seems kinda odd that he'd build up to the first Eclipse for 12 volumes then undo it a few years later. It was a good choice, as Griffith is much more interesting doing things on the ground rather than floating around the netherverse as Femto. But is he just Femto pretending to be Griffith? Or did his personality get reincarnated as well?
Also we don't know if he's kept his mystical powers. His powers of persuasion are pumped up, but that's all we've seen.

Think he'll revert back to winged-demon form for the final duel against Guts?

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Hatter106 posted:

I wonder if it was always Miura's plan to re-incarnate Griffith? It seems kinda odd that he'd build up to the first Eclipse for 12 volumes then undo it a few years later. It was a good choice, as Griffith is much more interesting doing things on the ground rather than floating around the netherverse as Femto. But is he just Femto pretending to be Griffith? Or did his personality get reincarnated as well?
Also we don't know if he's kept his mystical powers. His powers of persuasion are pumped up, but that's all we've seen.

Think he'll revert back to winged-demon form for the final duel against Guts?

It really has not been fully explained. I think Femto(is that the right spelling?) and Griffith are the same person, but they are both existing at the same time. Femto is hanging around with the rest of those gods and Griffith is like a reincarnation of his old self. Two different people, same mind? Maybe that makes no sense at all... so I am probably wrong :(

I can see guts taking care of Griffith and then go after Femto. We know enough about the Skull Knight to put his story loosely together and Guts seems to be doing the same thing he went through. Maybe they will both take on the gods together in a final epic battle :aaaaa:

Edit: \/ \/ \/ \/ yea nevermind I went backed and looked at it. They are the same person. \/ \/ \/ \/

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 5, 2007

ichiban
Sep 18, 2004
If you guys noticed, when that whole reincarnation bit happened and the tower turned into a giant hand and the 4 God Hands appeared...Femto wasn't there. It showed many panels in which it showed the 4 God Hands perched on the "fingers" of the tower, with one finger left empty. He and Griffith are likely one and the same. Also, the new Griffith is clearly much colder and demonic than before he became Femto, at least I think it's pretty clear by the way he interacts with Gutts. Griffith sacrificed the Hawks so that he could take over midland, let's not forget that. If Griffith had merely become Femto and never came back, his dream would never be completed, making the sacrifices and all that worth nothing. This is all part of Griffith's fate which is now written in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Fortunately it was only said that he would rule a kingdom, and never specified how long. I'd like to see Guts cut short the Griffith dynasty, so to speak, though I still think it's going to take a good long while, I want to see the fall of his kingdom by Guts' hand.