Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
EG delivers:

Chapter 289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

abbad0n posted:

EG delivers:

Chapter 289

Yay. Adding to the OP. :]

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
^^^ The link in the OP still reads 288.

Pretty cool, but kind of a let-down to me. If I wanted to see a good-looking, plausible sea battle, I'd go rent Master And Commander. It's neat, but it isn't very satiating when Berserk chapters are few and far between. Luckily the next one isn't too far away.

Though I must say, Miura's definitely got what he needs to tackle a sports manga. Mildly entertaining battles, looks of shock and despair when the enemies realize their defeat, and chock-full of information that wouldn't ordinarily be expressed out loud by the characters during the fight; like "the windward side is better".

I guess the nightmare part was pretty awesome.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Thoughts on ch. 289...

As predicted Roderick turned out to be a badass of the seas. I think I agree with Zackarotto about feeling let down with the lack of classic Berserk style action. I suppose if read as part of a whole volume this chapter would be a refreshing break from the normal hack and slash action of Berserk.

I'm glad they finished the pirate guy off in this chapter. I'm wondering how much filler they'll be able to throw in before they get to Elfhelm. What else could they possibly encounter now?

Edit:
I'm also thinking Miura saw the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie and said "gently caress it, I'm going to do a pirate battle the right way!"

DJ Turbo Punch fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 16, 2007

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

What else could they possibly encounter now?[/spoiler]

They could always do a flash back to Griffith :gonk: As if we haven't had enough of that

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
While I'm still waiting for another classic Berserk dudes getting chopped in half chapter, the sea battle was kinda cool, and the nightmare was badass, and beautiful in a sort of minimalist way.

Also, hooray! only about two weeks before another chapter!

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
I am glad the fight didn't last long and hoping they finally get to elfland. I am just worried that when they do get there that the elf kindom is gone/destroyed.

Oh god Miura please don't do that to our characters! :(

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Well, considering Guts is having a nightmare whilst it appears the beast is unhinging itself, maybe as a light speedbump on their way to elf city, since we're most likely going to see some nightmare action, Miura would take a page from the PS2 and have a sequence similar to the part in the game where Guts is back at the eclipse while dreaming, and demonic versions of the Hawks are trying to kill him, and a giant fight ensues. It was one of the best parts in the game, and I may just be wishful hoping he'd draw it out

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

"You can't live on hopes and dreams alone."

If this is true it will make me the happiest person in the world. Oh God please let it be true!

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
Reading this after watching Army of Darkness gave me a wicked idea of Guys with his Crossbow hand and Ash with hsi chainsaw hand fighting back to back. The pure awesomeness would make your head explode.

I just caught up with the manga. Not much has happened.

I'm one of those people that is waiting for Caskas return. She was probably the coolest female character to ever come out of anime or manga for a long time. That whole situation shortly after she was rescued from Albion and those robbers tried to capture her and she wrecked some poo poo up while she was STILL insane? Come on! I want to see more of that! Just give the poor girl a sword and it'll all come back to her! :smith:

Anyway, for those that need their fix, I found this video on Evil Geniuse's site. I was :gonk: the entire way through. There's a link to a hi-def version as well if you really like it. There's also a Berserk abridged series out there as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's crazy to think that in five days we'll have a new chapter. Is this what it's like to have somewhat regular releases?

... I think I'm feeling faint.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So what's the current word on Berserk's release schedule? Are they going to try to put out new chapters on a normal schedule from now on?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the current word on Berserk's release schedule? Are they going to try to put out new chapters on a normal schedule from now on?
Isn't the normal release schedule like 1 chapter every few months?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I pray to God it's once every two weeks. At least for the remainder of the year. That would be nice.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jimmybob posted:

I pray to God it's once every two weeks. At least for the remainder of the year. That would be nice.

I think it should be every day :colbert:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Mido posted:

I think it should be every day :colbert:

If you want Miura to release the rough for one panel every day, you could probably get your wish.

And I think I'll wait a few months and read like five (well probably two) chapters in one sitting.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Jimmybob posted:

I just hope he won't pull a Robert Jordan on us.

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

Forest Fuckery posted:

Don't even joke about that! :gonk:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

ZhaoRi posted:

Don't even joke about that! :gonk:
Wasn't a joke. If Berserk was picked up by some gibbon drawing DBZ fanart (Dune goddamnit) i would go Guts on his rear end.

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 25, 2007

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

I don't want to even imagine a poorly draw super saiyan Guts.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well, if he were to die, he'd probabally at least have some notes as to what he planned, which wouldn't be as bad as Dune or other series.

Why? Miura has a classmate who has a nearly identical drawing and writing style as him :v: He wrote a manga about a black guy in the late 1800s hunting KKK-Vampires who ate his father. His weapon? Shotgun shell loaded brass knuckles. gently caress yeah. Forums member Zindryr scanalated it and it's worth a read for quasi-Berserk action.

Volume 1
http://tinyurl.com/26vpdt

Volume 2
http://tinyurl.com/2t4vmz

Volume 3
http://tinyurl.com/2zvtgq

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Wazarai Shizuya has got to be a pen name for Miura. Looking at the drawing style and content, its way too similiar. If you want more proof, look at the series by Shizuya called Cestus; the art style is very very close to Miura current style, the eyes of the characters especially stand out.

Also they draw titties the same. :colbert:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Where can I find out more about Shizuya? There's nothing about him on Wikipedia, and searching for Blaster Knuckle just gives a bunch of disturbingly long articles about super robots.

Miura having a pen name for non-Berserk works would make sense, seeing as I've never heard of him writing anything else.

edit: Just checked out a couple pages of Blaster-Knuckle, and besides the fact that it looks completely and utterly badass and awesome, this is clearly Miura, an imitator of Miura, or an homage to Berserk.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 26, 2007

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

Twitch posted:

Where can I find out more about Shizuya? There's nothing about him on Wikipedia, and searching for Blaster Knuckle just gives a bunch of disturbingly long articles about super robots.

Miura having a pen name for non-Berserk works would make sense, seeing as I've never heard of him writing anything else.

edit: Just checked out a couple pages of Blaster-Knuckle, and besides the fact that it looks completely and utterly badass and awesome, this is clearly Miura, an imitator of Miura, or an homage to Berserk.

You should check out Japan by Miura. Watch as Bizarro Guts is saved by Jesus!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Twitch posted:

Like I said, it's one of Miura's close friends. They went to school together and stuff. Their shared style is more a result that they had much of the same base I think.

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

Zorak posted:

Like I said, it's one of Miura's close friends. They went to school together and stuff. Their shared style is more a result that they had much of the same base I think.

Any link or anything where we can read some more about that?

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

Wow, I just looked at the comic and it looks pretty awesome. I find it funny that the bartenders at the beginning of both series look almost exactly the same :P

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Chapter 01 of Blaster Knuckle and volume 01 of Berserk follow the exact same formula.

Also, the first scene of Blaster Knuckle is a blatant shout out to Berserk. I had to reread the page because I thought that was a giant hand the first time.

Overall seems pretty badass so far. Thanks for this gem Zorak!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Forest Fuckery posted:

Miura started Berserk right out of college, so he's not far beyond 40 (born 1966 according to Wikipedia). He's cute, too.

Found the pic, he's on the left, and I believe this is 2002:

Much hotter than Robert Jordan, anyway.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 26, 2007

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Miura started Berserk right out of college, so he's not far beyond 40 (born 1966 according to Wikipedia). He's cute, too.

Much hotter than Robert Jordan, anyway.

Compare him to the other "gorey" mangaka, Kohta Hirano (Hellsing's)

He's no looker. No wonder his hobbies listing in the back of the Hellsing manga is "Jacking off" :gonk:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Upon reading the first 5 chapters of Blaster Knuckle, i'd say it occasionally equals Berserk in badassery.

Victor is going to punch out a demon
Also, Wild west setting? Awesome.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

It's always the drat same in recent years. For a little while, it's once every 2 weeks. Usually a month or 2 like this, the way it used to always be. Then Miura has a "break" and the next chapter either doesn't have a date, or the date is over a month off, if not a couple of months. Usually as soon as that chapter comes out though, it has a 2 week date for the next one again.

I doubt we'll ever see a 2 weekly permanent schedule again unless Miura gets to some part of the story he's wanted to draw for YEARS and suddenly is all fired up.

Swedish Nice Boy
Jun 21, 2007

by angerbeet

Zorak posted:

He's no looker. No wonder his hobbies listing in the back of the Hellsing manga is "Jacking off" :gonk:

He also makes hentai manga, most likely so he can jack off to it.

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

Dancing Ferret posted:

He also makes hentai manga, most likely so he can jack off to it.

Please don't remind me :cry: There is probably a reason why Alucard is a girl in one of his stories.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Zorak posted:

fat japanese guys are cute LOL

Does Hirano really have that on the back of Hellsing manga?

Mirua is pretty drat hot for a mangaka tho.

Swedish Nice Boy
Jun 21, 2007

by angerbeet

ZhaoRi posted:

Please don't remind me :cry: There is probably a reason why Alucard is a girl in one of his stories.

He's also inserted a bunch of characters from his hentai stuff into Hellsing, Pip among others if I remember correctly. That's quite a brainfucker when you think about it, Pip used to be in hentai.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Kusaru posted:

Too bad Miura looks like a dork in that image with Takehiko "I look awesome" Inoue standing next to him.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

lyricaldanichan posted:

Does Hirano really have that on the back of Hellsing manga?
In one of the volumes, yes. They even translated those parts in the Dark Horse releases. Pretty much 90% of the random doodles and chatter in the back of the TPBs lead me to conclude that Hirano is crazy. I mean, I like Hellsing and all, but the dude is nuts.

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man
Fridays are RAW days!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b7azac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

maxxheadcheese posted:

Fridays are RAW days!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b7azac

Berserk makes me very RAW, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Another filler chapter, as expected. But looking at Gatts in the very last page tore me up a little for some reason. Seeing how severely hosed up he is, and how he just will not give up till everything is right, even if he is on his last leg, one leg is enough, this story has a fantastic tone

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 28, 2007