Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Well, after looking over this thread a few days I finally gave in to the Berserk hype and read it for the first time. I decided to dig into it over the weekend... That's some brutal stuff. It took me awhile but I plowed through the whole thing.

Long rant on rape in the series below. Skip if you don't want to read some complaining...

It seems like the series lightened up on all the sex and rape in the last 6-7 volumes which was nice. Outside of constantly feeling horrified for the victims it's a really good series. Every time a new monster came up though I began to wonder what poor soul would be raped this time around. It's the kind of series I wouldn't mind owning, but I have a feeling it wouldn't fly with the girlfriend. I'm not sure I could provide any type of convincing justification for some of the rape scenes. Sure the skin is nothing worse than what you would see in Cinemax, but I'm not sure numerous pages of Caska's rape would really go over very well... even if it's meant to give Guts his drive. At some point it goes beyond a story point and becomes gratuitous. How to show the trolls are evil, yes let's show them killing and RAPING someone. How to show the King of Midland is evil? Ugh, I get it, the monsters and bad men rape and sexually assault. Since that hasn't happened in the last few volumes I hope that means we'll be spared any further scenes of it. And yes, I don't have a big problem with violence, it's so over the top gratuitous which probably makes it easier to take. The rapes though happen on a personal level and seem to be depicted in more pages than necessary, which makes it difficult to keep having to read and view. I'll repeat just to make sure someone doesn't misundertand me, I don't have a problem with the fact rapes occur, that's an unfortunate fact of literature and real life. I have a problem with the fact that more pages seem to be devoted to the act than necessary. At some point it goes beyond a story point and seems to be there to titilate the reader, which I think is disgusting. Compare the rapes of Guts and Caska, both are crucial story points, but we don't have pages upon pages of Guts getting violated as a boy. It was a lot more tasteful for that reason. Not that you guys can do anything about it, I just had to get it off my chest. (And please don't give me any "Well if you don't like it, stop reading!" or "Rape is brutal and should be depicted as such." I know rape is brutal, I just think it became more gratuitous than it should have been to be taken seriously).

In any case, the series seems to have lightened up a bit (if possible) around the time Schierke was introduced so it was definately a change for the better. I'll keep on reading and hopefully Miura will be able to reach a point where he can pump out chapters every other week. (I can dream, can't I?) You can really see the development of his art skills as the series progressed, and the detail in his most recent work is amazing.

And now on to other things.

It appears like all the releases of two of the later chapters are messed up. Chapter 250 and 258 are from two different volumes and are the same chapter. It appears chapter 258 is the one not actually in the releases online. Can anyone help me locate that? 250 appears to be the one about Sonia returning to the Hawk camp, while 258 is something else. So it appears the non-Hawk camp 258 is the one I need.

Also, I've read that chapter 83(?) was left out of the volume 13 release. Is that the case for both the Japanese and English release?

EDIT: I also forgot to say, that the Skull Knight is about the most badass looking and acting character in the history of manga. That is all.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, it's a hopeless dream. I wonder if getting the crew out on the sea will be easier for him to draw rather than huge armies. Of course now he's going to simply spend his time super-detailing the ship...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

On Caska's future:

Yeah, I get the feeling the Knight meant that if she got her mind back, she would have to live with the sheer horror of what happened to her. The fact she's in this child-like state means she doesn't have to really face that. So if she is given some option whether to stay that way or regain her senses, she may choose to stay that way. Of course I have a feeling we'll get some internalization of her mind made by the Elf King where Guts will be able to talk to her which will make her choose to regain her faculties.

And when she finally gets the chance to get some sweet, sweet revenge againt Griffith, it will be great.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I think Guts letting them die is precisely the type of thing which won't happen. Guts defending his new comrades and not sacrificing them for his own desires would prove the proper counter to the horrible slaughter of the Hawks earlier.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The raw of 295 is out. It looks like the next chapter will be released in the middle of May? Ouch.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Our first chapter has to be completely made up of double page spreads of Griffith sitting majestically on his horse. I will have it no other way.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yet another chapter coming out later this month as well? Can we dare hope for four chapters in a row?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Who were those people on the boat? I don't recall what part they played in the story...

Seriously though, nice to see Guts again finally. And June 26th! Keep it up Miura, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Cronus posted:

Next Berserk chapter is out in the next YA on 6/25/2034.

Corrected that for you.