Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Teek posted:

In any case, the series seems to have lightened up a bit (if possible) around the time Schierke was introduced so it was definately a change for the better. I'll keep on reading and hopefully Miura will be able to reach a point where he can pump out chapters every other week. (I can dream, can't I?) You can really see the development of his art skills as the series progressed, and the detail in his most recent work is amazing.

I hate to tell you this, but welcome to the ring of hell that is being a Berserk fan: over the three years since I started reading this, the time between his chapters has been growing consistently longer. He's not picking up the pace; he's slowing down, and he's slowing down precisely because his art has gotten that much more detailed and elaborate. You can have Bleach's update schedule and Bleach's art (it's not bad, but it is very simple to draw) or you can have Berserk's update schedule and Berserk's art. There's no way to have Bleach's update schedule and Berserk's art. Quality takes time . . . and four month vacations. Miura! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Zorak posted:

A good question would be why exactly Guts meant so utterly much to Griffith that losing him was so earthshattering.

It was also the first time in his life he had ever lost. Casca says it somewhere in the narration around that scene, "the first loss that Griffith ever knew."

His entire life, he'd always gotten what he wanted. He had to lie, beg, cheat, steal and whore himself out for it, but he'd never, ever lost. It was a crippling blow to his confidence, and what's worse is that it came from someone who he considered subordinate. Guts was his right-hand man, yes, but the pecking order was clearly established. Guts flat-out tells him to give him orders when he's considering assassinating Julius - that he'll unquestioningly obey. So it was a combination of someone beneath you - and for all his charisma Griffith has a very clear idea that he sits at the top of the heap, and everybody else is below him - and losing for the first time. His power - the power to make people love him, even as he's beating them, because he's beautiful and charismatic - failed. Guts not only beat him in a duel, but had the strength to just turn and walk away from him, which nobody had ever done before. Guts was capable of leaving him behind.

He freaked out and needed to reaffirm his dominance and his personal power - hence immediately running to Charlotte, because here was the girl the world said was too far above him for him to ever touch. His whole life was denying his own roots and being born in the gutter - that's why he decided to be king. The best way to reassure himself of his internal power was to gently caress her silly, because getting her was the culmination of his extreme ambition.

And we all know how well that turned out. It's very classical tragedy - one overheard conversation destroying everything.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

ichiban posted:

discusson about the chapter: drat, Gutts is looking pretty hosed up. And it looks like Farneze is learning astral projection. I thought I was going to hate Farneze from the beginning and wasn't too pumped when she joined the "team," but it's actually starting to look like she might be useful. Poor Gutts, though. A good heart tainted by evil, all he wants to do is help Caska but she keeps running from him, causing him more pain. loving Griffith.

Guts is not, and has never been, good. He is an extremely morally ambiguous hero, and he almost raped Casca at one point. The relationship between Griffith, Casca and Guts is so hosed up that you absolutely cannot lay the blame for it at any one of their feet.

Brief list of Guts' accomplishments: murder, assassination, attempted rape, child slaughter, and that's just off the top of my head. His character is strength and will. "Good" has nothing to do with it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Zoolooman posted:

I'm going to take a different perspective on this. I'd speculate that none of the current friends will die.

There's been the "what will happen when the group finds out exactly how hosed up Guts is?" moment that's been hinted at for quite some time now. They've all got to live at least past that.

Keep in mind, they know pretty much nothing about him or his past, other than he is a walking murder machine who manages to attract demons like poo poo attracts flies.