Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Read the manga and find out!

You can find the Evil Genius scanalations of Berserk here, viewable in your web-browser! The later volumes (and early volumes actually) can be found here. However, PLEASE buy the manga from Dark Horse. Those early volumes ARE in fact liscenced and released (Volumes 1-17).

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Wonderfull OP aside from mention of the Dreamcast game. :colbert:

I saw the anime a while back and really liked it. The semi-cheap animation and effects just made it all the more loveable.

However the ending was the biggest :wtf: for me out of any anime ever. EVER.

I'd like to see the manga some time, as the art lo9oks quite sexy.

I played the Dreamcast game too, and I'm interested in what fills the gap between the anime and 'Sword of Berserk.' It takes place waaay after the animation and if you hate manga you can see what happens to the chick afterwards.

You should go out of your way to find the manga. Sword of the Berserk doesn't actually cover anything canon in the Berserk plot; it's all original material just for the game.

There was a second game as well that was never brought over to the West, called Berserk: Millenium Falcon or something along those lines, for the PS2. It actually covered parts of the manga, while adding an additional arc as well.

To be honest though, none of the other forms of the series come close to the manga. It's like a literary masterpiece, or as close as a manga can come to being a literary masterpiece. I forget why I started reading the manga awhile back... I just found a torrent of the first 29 or so volumes (I'll admit yeah, I originally pirated it). I basically marathoned the entire thing in a fourty eight hour period, and was totally enthralled. I ended up reading it again and again over the course of months because... honestly, it's just spectacular. I think I've read all (~32 now) volumes that exist currently about ten times now.

After seeing how amazing it was after finding a torrent, I basically starting buying the volumes as fast as possible because... this manga just is totally worth it. You can say "oh it's worth a watch/ read" when describing some series, but Berserk is just such a beautifully, masterfully done work that it's honestly completely and utterly worth buying and savouring again and again. It helps that the Dark Horse translation is spot on as well.

I haven't seen the anime, but from what I've heard and the clips I've seen, it comes nothing even miles close to the manga.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Guerilla Medic posted:

Wait, what. Why does Caska see Farneze going all astral?

Well, that could be in part everyone who has the brand lives half in the real realm, and half in the realm of the "spirits". Caska might simply be more observant to the Astral plane then Guts is, maybe in part due to her loss of sanity. Who knows?

quote:

That's why he wears his armor and his bandages so often. Constant fighting is breaking him. He is slowly falling apart. :[

He actually has his mechanical arm somewhat bandaged too. Though that's to stop it from rusting from the sea-air, I think.

I think Guts will probabally heal up a little better given time but let's not forget the Berserker armor literally eats into a person's body in order to support it and keep the body going. That's addition into it just plainly pushing his body over its limits, and not to mention him going way too far too often (the last battle was one abuse after another on his body.)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

immolationsex posted:

One more thing for those new to the manga: considering that there are about 30 volumes in circulation right now, with new issues being published at a pretty modest rate, a quick calculation will show that the mister Miura has been going at this for about 300 years. That means the artwork sees significant improvement from the first volumes, thankfully. Don't let the amateurish style in those put you off, the later volumes more than make up for it.

Even then it moves from low quality to "HOLY gently caress THIS IS AWESOME" quality pretty fast. The first part of volume one is somewhat iffy, but occasional drawings in it just show entirely Miura's skill even then. I think part of it was him not having developed his "welp, I'm taking four months off to draw individual bits of armor for the upcoming chapters" side of meticulousness.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Maverix0r posted:

Oh god, they call him Gatts in the official translation?

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-705

No, not really...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Flying-Chip posted:

and nothing is happening plotwise

Are we reading the same manga here or something? In the past four volumes we've had the Kusuhan Empire begin their invasion of the port city, the subsequent fight with Guts in the Berserker Armor with the Kusuhan wizard and then Emperor Ganshika's avatar itself, which had Guts managing to for the first time get half control of the armor (with Schierke's help). Then we had the arrival of the Band ot the Hawk, Griffith being announced as the King-to-be of Midland, the foremost force combatting Kusuhan forces, and practically recognized by the Pope as basically a Prophet/ Saviour of all of Christendom.

Yep no plot at all

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Origami posted:

It was the skull knight, and he said something like "What you wish for may not be what she wishes for", which suggests that she may become sane again, but it doesn't mean she'll happily stick with the gang afterwards.

If she ends up going to Griffith and joins the Hawks again because "that's her place", I'm pretty sure Guts is going to turn into the most angry being ever created. Ever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
A good question would be why exactly Guts meant so utterly much to Griffith that losing him was so earthshattering.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

kuroikenshi posted:

He hasn't needed to use any of his power's at all so far.

In a way he has. "Destiny" and "fate" have been constantly throwing things at Griffith's feet really well. All of the strongest Knights in the world (if they were Apostles before hand is questionable but actually irrelevant) showed up and pledged themselves to him immediately. He's been able to move around like a god due to everyone's dreams of him as a saviour (such as the pope).

Furthermore, fate has shown to be his hand as well in battle. The "chance gusts of wind" that showed up "just in time" to force the Gankusha emperor away, for instance.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

Guts will do whatever is neccesary to complete his dream, and take his revenge. He will not risk himself to save others, unless it will benefit his own grand plan. In a way, he is similar to Pre-Demon Griffith in that respect. Even before the Black Swordsman arc ends, we see this multiple times.

Maybe before Griffith's reincarnation, but Guts has gotten alot more laid back now. He's moved away from just "revenge" to also caring about Caska again as well as his comrades. Griffith saw his comrades as expendable pawns just useful to getting his goal. Guts on the other hand honestly trusts and even respects them.

And yeah, Guts isn't without his problems. The "Berserker" side of him is wild and uncontrollable. The armor in a way just brings it out all the time and to its fullest. Before he had to get angry, and even then he had some control; now, he loses everything with the armor.

Sometimes I wonder if The Idea created Griffith to create Guts, rather then the other way around, with Guts' rebellion not just being a result of what it took to create Femto but rather what the point of creating Femto was.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 13, 2007

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Well, Puck was present when Guts told Rickert about the Eclipse. But yeah, the rest of his merry band are still in the dark. Chances are he'll start to tell them at some point and they'll stop him and say something like, "Your past doesn't matter, it's the person you are now who matters!" :v:

Puck is pretty much the only one who I'd think would stick with Guts if he did that. Puck has gotten glimpses of the Eclipse from when Guts gets really emotional (since Elves are able to sense emotions), and he's seen how terrible the Apostles are more then anyone else there.

ACtually, thinking about it as well, Schierke would probabally stick with Guts. She already knows that Griffith is Femto. After all, the witch lady knew that the prophecy everyone was dreaming of was a result of the God Hand, and Schierke was seen spying on one of the Midland villages when she was first introduced.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Well, Miura is most likely going to use Elfhelm as a "reset button" for a lot of things, probably including Guts' injuries. Elfhelm is full of powerful mages, y'know... maybe he'll even get his eye or arm back?

I doubt that. The lost eye and arm are symbollic and deeply connected to the Eclipse. However, I do bet his currently skin wounds will heal. He just took so much damage to his skin what with the armor biting into it, Zodd landing on him, and being struck by lightning repeatedly. The elves are probabally having a hard time just keeping up right now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the deal with Guts' behelit? In vol.26 we see it awaken to summon Slan. Normally this only happens when a potential apostle is ready to transform into a demon. Was this the case with Guts? Did he only avoid this fate with the help of the Skull Knight?

Uh it didn't awaken to summon Slan. Slan was able to appear there because the region was beginning to mix with the realm of spirits, which is apparently slowly happening world wide as the God Hand prophecized with their "new dark age".

It's unknown of the behelit is his, or he's carrying it just for now and it'll go to someone else, or whatever, but from what Void said earlier, Guts hasn't been ordained by fate to become an Apostle OR one of the God Hand.

Slan appeared merely because she has interest in Guts. The fact that he's able to oppose the God Hand, and kill the Apostles despite being a flesh and blood human is phenomenal. We saw Slan's interest in Guts way back in volume three even. What the Behelit was doing was more reacting to Slan's appearance. The God Hand are massive spiritual presences, so the behelit was actually in a way shaking before it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

EVIR Gibson posted:

Guts has a blue behelit. Red behelits mean you can become an Apostle, I think

Who knows, they could change color :ssh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

xwonderboyx posted:

I've had it for 7 months now and I love it more every day. A few of my friends got it as well.

Why would you get it on the arm. That doesn't even make sense. Sure it's probabally possible but seriously. Why not just on the neck, Guts style?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

If you read the comic, you'll notice each of the Band of the Hawk got one, and many times on a different place other than the neck. One guy was branded on his face :laugh:

Like I said, it's possible, I don't remember where exactly the others got them, but it'd be the most stylish/ tribute like to get it on the neck. That tat is also too big.

Of course, the really awesome thing would to just get it carved into your neck so it'd scar like that. That'd be awesome. Wouldn't do it personally, but still.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

Why did I have to suddenly get into a glacially slow manga :(

Glacially slow perhaps, but glaciers are majestic, mighty things. Beautiful. Amazing. Timeless.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

hog wizard posted:

And it'll last us even after we've died.

Actually, if you're one of the "OH NO THE WORLD IS GOING TO MELT" people, I suppose not :laugh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

abbad0n posted:

Can't believe how good today has been. And now it gets even better:

Evil Genius Chapter 288

Someone mind rehosting this on something? Torrenting isn't working on this computer :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zoolooman posted:

Yeah, but it's not the nice kind of standard, elemental magic, nor is it even the magic of the Godhand. It's the taint of terror and death.

It's the most metal of magics. :black101:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

When was the last time Puck appeared in a non-SD form? He's been comic relief since the Tower arc or so. And, honestly, I think it's a role that fits him.

He was comic relief before the Tower arc too. Like he said when Guts was going to chase the Butterfly girl, "Hey, I'm the comic relief! This manga is our lively hood! We wouldn't be still existing without m-" and then Guts clonked him I think.

Also, I like how he varies frequently on and off between SD and non-SD forms. Much like how Schierke's elf whose name eludes me goes into her wierd not so superly deformed by still deformed form.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

sephiroth669 posted:

as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references

BERSERK-Y-OH!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Only two more weeks :dance: Can't wait

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gvaz posted:

the weeaboo word for that is "chibi" i suppose.

Actually they're both terms used in anime for it. Chibi and SD tend to be different levels of distortion, I think. See the whole "SD Gundam" model/ OVA series for instance.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

What else could they possibly encounter now?[/spoiler]

They could always do a flash back to Griffith :gonk: As if we haven't had enough of that

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's crazy to think that in five days we'll have a new chapter. Is this what it's like to have somewhat regular releases?

... I think I'm feeling faint.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well, if he were to die, he'd probabally at least have some notes as to what he planned, which wouldn't be as bad as Dune or other series.

Why? Miura has a classmate who has a nearly identical drawing and writing style as him :v: He wrote a manga about a black guy in the late 1800s hunting KKK-Vampires who ate his father. His weapon? Shotgun shell loaded brass knuckles. gently caress yeah. Forums member Zindryr scanalated it and it's worth a read for quasi-Berserk action.

Volume 1
http://tinyurl.com/26vpdt

Volume 2
http://tinyurl.com/2t4vmz

Volume 3
http://tinyurl.com/2zvtgq

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Twitch posted:

edit: Just checked out a couple pages of Blaster-Knuckle, and besides the fact that it looks completely and utterly badass and awesome, this is clearly Miura, an imitator of Miura, or an homage to Berserk.

Like I said, it's one of Miura's close friends. They went to school together and stuff. Their shared style is more a result that they had much of the same base I think.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Miura started Berserk right out of college, so he's not far beyond 40 (born 1966 according to Wikipedia). He's cute, too.

Found the pic, he's on the left, and I believe this is 2002:

Much hotter than Robert Jordan, anyway.

Compare him to the other "gorey" mangaka, Kohta Hirano (Hellsing's)

He's no looker. No wonder his hobbies listing in the back of the Hellsing manga is "Jacking off" :gonk:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
USE SPOILER TAGS PEOPLE CHRIST.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

There's been the "what will happen when the group finds out exactly how hosed up Guts is?" moment that's been hinted at for quite some time now. They've all got to live at least past that.

Keep in mind, they know pretty much nothing about him or his past, other than he is a walking murder machine who manages to attract demons like poo poo attracts flies.

I don't know if that'd make much of a difference. Isidoro would probabally respect/ idolize Guts even more knowing that he was the famous (infamous?) Raid Leader of the Band of the Hawks; he after all was talking about how amazing and how he wants to be like that but couldn't remember the guy's name :haw:

However, I think everyone (other then maybe Farneze) would probabally ally with Guts after hearing about Griffith and the Eclipse. Farneze might not because she's sort of torn between her upbringing as a zealot and her new life. Griffith basically is, to the world, literally a Saint, a messenger from god, a savior. Her religious inklings may lead her back to that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Leppy posted:

After reading the first 11 volumes i'd say the most disturbing image i've seen so far would have to have been when: young Guts was raped...
It's a guarantee that there will be something more mindfucking(no pun intended) that later on right?
I really hope so because it's fun to be shocked like that.

Hahahaha. My friend, the worst is yet to come. Miura makes sure you really, really don't sympathize with people/ characters that are supposed to be bad. His method of doing this is rape. Also murder too but still.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dancing Ferret posted:

Is it just me or did the Pope jinx himself a whole lot with that speech? Maybe I'm just reading into it too much...

That's how the world under Griffith works. "Fate" makes everything fall into place as it is "ordained". The Pope, as to the fate constructed, won't die until his place in Griffith's fate, is complete. That's assuming Guts doesn't end up struggling into that fate too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dancing Ferret posted:

I generally dislike the folks in Griffith's merry little warband but Sonia's pretty cool.

It's like that on purpose. You're supposed to hate Griffith. You're supposed to be almost disgusted with how he, and his army of monsters, is being made into holy saviors, the ultimate "good" saving them. It's bullshit, and everyone is being merely manipulated into place. The only one who knows that is the one who has been manipulated into being the opposite, an evil being.

Miura knows what he's doing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

maxxheadcheese posted:

Evil Genius have scanlated 291:
http://www.evil-genius.us/

A little late. Look about a little up on this page.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

This one looks like it might say "till next time" or something like it did when we had a HUGE break.

Yeah, this is probabally going to be a multi-month "Miura hasn't set a date" type thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

maxxheadcheese posted:

As far as I understand it:
Emperor Ganishka's big demon blobb thingy (dun remember if it ever had a name but its shown earlier and its where they drop pregnant women to make their demon army) is basicly going into power mode 2000 and in the process creates a mist that kills any living thing, including the Kushan guards. I dont know if its a bi-proccess of something else or if its its main intent.

Nah, it's more like Gankushka himself is using his mist to cannibalize everyone outside in the town (ie his human soldiers and some of his lesser posessions) in order to use his demon-creation monster blob thing to create something probabally much more sinister. You might notice in one of the panels it shows what looks like the siphon-tendril from the Idea of Evil itself from the removed chapter of Berserk. With the world shifting more and more to the other side, this likely means Gankushka is going to be making/ summoning higher level demons.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sindai posted:

Haha, he's actually just aiming to go super saiyan apostle level 2! I'm betting on Griffith still casually handing him his rear end.

It's pretty obvious this is likely something that falls within Griffith's "destiny" as well. It's just creating an even more sinister figure, a real "devil", for him to slay.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Twitch posted:

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but the giant demon womb is my favorite minor villain in Berserk, just because of how incredibly wrong it is.

Definitely. One thing mentioned in the chapter before this one was how they were worried about all the women in the kingdom "being held hostage in the castle". We know what really happened to all of them :( Raped pregnant then into the demon womb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

They have an entire division of GIANTS and mutants who run on 4 legs!! He deployed them against Kushan's army like, every time!

They saved Mule's stupid group of idiots!! No one cares :(

Yes, they're just monstrously strong people though. As opposed to when they transform into their apostle forms they become simply monsters.