Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJYar
Jul 13, 2004

Cunning like fuck
I watched the Transformers growing up and enjoyed the show a good bit. I had a few toys and generally remember the show fondly. I'm a bit older now and while I still consider myself a fan, I only have the original movie on DVD and maybe a sticker in terms of merchandise. You can read this as me not being a diehard fan, avoiding consumerism or whatever; I enjoy Transformers but after being hit over the head with 80's nostalgia, I was not expecting a whole lot out of this movie. The bottom line: I really enjoyed it.

I will be frank, the movie had a few problems. There was one scene revolving around sneaking that could have been removed entirely and the movie would not have lost anything. There were also a few extraneous characters that the same could have been said for, but the overall thrust of the movie was well done.

The main character felt like someone ripped out of a bad Fox sitcom but he warmed up to role through the course of the film. Most of the other human characters seemed comfortable enough in their roles to move everything along nicely. The transformers themselves could have used more individual characterization to bring out their personalities and motives more clearly but there was solid explanation of their goal as a group. It is obvious here that the filmmakers were relying on, at least somewhat, the viewers having previous knowledge of the material. With that said, I did get flashbacks of Jar Jar Binks thanks to one Decepticon although he was not in very many scenes.

Speaking of that, there are many, many nods to the original cartoon and they fit in the movie well. There were even a few lines pulled straight from the original animated movie and they matched the scenes great.

The CG was PERFECT. Computer graphics have always been great at representing mechanical objects so it should be no surprise that everything looked fantastic. The animation was smooth and all the characters had an appropriate sense of mass. The transformations were as realistic looking as one could hope for and nothing seemed to be out of place in that regard.

One thing I totally did not expect what that the movie, particularly the second quarter, would be HILARIOUS. There are grade-A comedy movie moments in there that made me double over in laughter. There are a few inside-joke moments that will make Transformers fans bust a gut while still providing enough material for newcomers to chuckle at.

If this movie had been horrible, it wouldn't have raped my childhood, I could have just put it out of memory as another bad movie and walked away. I enjoyed it for what it was, a solid action movie with familiar character and great special effects. I feel they struck a good balance between fan service and accessibility and crafted an overall entertaining movie.

4/5

One little note, two of the main characters in this movie are two of the main characters in "Holes" which makes for an entertaining juxtaposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU