Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
"Taking care of a few problems." Luke's attention lingers on the jay for a time before meeting that bronze gaze. "I'll be running our merry show, ma'am." He smiles. Turning a look towards the mountain, the man's smile broadens to a grin. "Eager to take a crack at it; I'd wager there's some coal in there too." He mutters to seemingly no one. With Allison's announcement, Luke fixes her a look--chuckling at her after note. "If that's the case, you'll be with Miss Fiona then ma'am."

As if on cue the fair-skinned woman steps down from the humvee--wrinkling her nose as she squints up at the mountainside before bringing cigarette to her lips; Dieter appears at her side, motioning with the flick of a Zippo to light her. Valda arches a brow. "Tunnel will still be a bit of a leg; motor pool might be dangerous--it's thick with blind spots." She frowns. Luke offers a shrug. "We'll burn that bridge when we get there. Ma'am." His head is dipped towards Jennifer and Valda in turn as he smiles still, before reaching an offer to take Allison's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Greg

Giving Hobbs and Alex a nod, and then quickly checking in the car to see Bahiti- now with improvised cutoff jean shorts, he notes with no small amount of interest. That done, he circles back over to the informal 'leaders' meeting. "I've mentioned this to everyone at least once, but it bears repeating. Sign/countersign is sun moon, at least to start with. Nice and simple, since we already used thunder lightning way too much for my comfort. The doppelgangers can learn, so don't trust it more than once unless you're really feeling lucky." He rolls his neck around. "Okay then. Ready for a climb, you two? Daylight's burning."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Hobbs

"Yeah, its her. Don't suppose anyone can talk to her like this?" Hobbs asks. "Uh, might be good. I can't talk to her. Didn't know if anyone could. Yeah."

Hobbs folded his arms and looked down. My girlfriend just got turned into a bird. No big deal. She's just a loving blue bird. Nothing to be concerned about. He then glanced over at the new comers and didn't know what to make of them. If all Hell breaks loose, better them then us, I guess. Hobbs knew it wasn't a pleasant thought to have, to be willing to sacrifice allies. On the other hand he didn't know these people from Adam. Made it a lot easier to allow them to walk into danger.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She shakes her head with a vaguely mystified look at Hobbs, eyes returning to the bird on his shoulder a few times. Alright, alright, you've seen that show before, just a different color. Pay attention. She looks to Luke with a furrowed brow. "Taking care of... what? We've kind of got our hands full, here... Not that you're not capable but..." She sighs irritably, smoothing a hand over her hair as she looks at Greg. She didn't like this sudden change of plans. She didn't like complications. She really didn't like the fact that Fiona seemed to have Dieter wrapped around her little finger, the nagging feeling of deja vu upon seeing him no less strong - or vague - than the first time.

She pinches the bridge of her nose in an unconscious imitation of Valda. "Yeah, we need to get going. Let me get Bahiti." She gives Luke a warning look. "Don't freak out, she's with us." Eyes flitting to Dieter warily, she raises her voice, calling, "Bahiti? We're going."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

At Luke’s announcement of who she’ll be accompanying, Allison manages to take it in stride, simply adding, “Of course I will.” Her head turns to watch Dieter and Fiona’s exchange, eyes squinting in the sun. The image comes unbidden of her and Hugin following the same routine. At least we’re the better looking couple. Dimly, she’s aware of Valda and Luke figuring out other things, her attention only yanked back when the hand is offered. A grin at the playfulness of the gesture, she takes the hand, making a mocking pout. “I just don't if it will be a party without him.”

Her eyes glance back to Jennifer as she pushes back on Vic's absence. If Allison had to be honest, it bothered her a great deal as well, and she intended to pry where she could. But if we're going to be really honest, it's not like we don't have heaps of inexplicable poo poo going on we haven't explained for them wither.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2009

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

"Mmm. Allison, lemme ask you something, hey?" Taking advantage of the brief attention Bahiti was going to get with her entrance/exit from the SUV, he leads the actress a short way away from the strangers; in a low voise, but with a casual voice, "I told them about the Wendigo. They didn't like it, I mean, they really didn't like it. I left out Jennifer's part, and left it as 'we negotiated letting it go free so we didn't have to try to kill it in a fight we weren't sure to win.' Just wanted to tell you in case they decide to go for another pressy about it with you in there. Also- mentioned I had been 'guided' to the group. That got their full and immediate attention like nothing else we've told them, even got through to Dieter. Something's up there. Be wary."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

Predictably, she fusses at being tugged aside by Greg, but then settles her eyes sternly on him as she listens. The implications settle into her head, Worried about being guided, do they think we’re being manipulated? Working for someone they don’t like? Do they even know about there being any sort of bigger picture struggle? The concerns about the Wendigo seem fairly normal. It’s still a very… unfavorable outcome. Distantly, her memory recalls the scent and flavor of Wendigo, and it’s similarities to Coyote’s own. Inhaling, she lifts her chin and just gives a short nod, “Got it.”

Greg’s warning does get through though, and she makes a mental note to reign in her excitement and avoid getting caught up in the idle ‘flirting’ with Luke and his friends. Allison nods again, “Right. I’ll be careful.” She takes a step backwards towards Luke again and holds out her arms helplessly, “I mean, I’m me. I’ll be alright.”

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

After staring into the actress's eyes for a few seconds, quietly, he nods once. "Of course. Keep mental notes of everything you see from them, and tell Wayne to do that too. I'm counting on him to tell me how good they are as soldiers and you to tell me just about everything else. Okay." Jogging back over to the others, he waits to see how they react to a jackal-headed woman.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
Jack

Looking out through the tinted window, Jack sees Hobbs appear from the vehicle with .. a.. what the gently caress? One thing had become clear to him recently: the only birds left were black. According to Jennifer they were supposed to be something like lost souls. So what the gently caress was this poo poo?

"Do you guys see this? A bluebird as big as, like, I don't know, loving big. Where were they hiding..."

Jack starts to think about Greg's body-stealing and starts counting heads. There was Greg, and Allison and Jennifer, as you'd expect with this sort of meeting. His arm twinges involuntarily when he spots the man with the knives.

Didn't Alex go in Hobbs' car?

"Holy poo poo." He shakes his head slowly. "Holy poo poo." He sort of hopes he's wrong. There are plenty of other people he hasn't gotten to know who could be that bird. But there it is, right with Hobbs. And she seemed so normal.

As much as Jack doesn't want to be in close quarters with Vic's crew, he's overcome by curiosity. He rolls the window down halfway, trying to hear bits of the somewhat distant conversation. An unpleasant odor wafts in and Jack hopes it isn't him.

Joe Anglican fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 1, 2009

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
“Doppelgängers.” Luke mutters dryly on Greg’s parting note, rolling his shoulders; looking again to Jennifer, the man offers a wry grin. “Understood ma’am, but we’ve got our hands full too; something came up with the locals and he needed to run some interference.” Luke spreads his palms towards Jennifer, lifting his shoulders in a shrug. “Don’t worry though—Vic’s not that good of a shot that we’ll miss him overmuch.” With Jennifer’s warning, Luke arches a brow and follows the woman’s gaze, Valda crossing her arms beside him.

The door do the SUV opens, dark legs slipping out—Bahiti emerging from behind the door to a sharp whistle near Jennifer; the jackal blinks, ears rigid as her eyes flit over Luke and his team before she breaks the pause and strides to far more familiar company. Brows high, Luke stares—an audible “poo poo!” from within the humvee drawing a quick look from Bahiti; nearby, Fiona fixes her attention on the woman with a tight-lipped smile while Dieter beside her remains stone-faced. Looking up the mountainside, then—Bahiti nods. “I am ready.”

A calloused hand claps at Jennifer’s shoulder with a squeeze, and Wayne leans near with a whisper. “Be safe. Be careful. Stay sharp.” Turning on a beat towards Luke, Wayne seizes the man’s hand in a tight squeeze—pulling his attention at last away from Bahiti—and offers a brief smile. “Wayne. Let’s get this show on the road.” Nodding, Luke gestures towards the others near to the humvee before again taking lead with Allison back toward the vehicle as the others load up.

From her perch Alex finds ever more dizzying sensations; to have experienced a perception as such while she slept had been one experience, but to couple it with crisp consciousness—the heat from above, the smells on the air and the sounds in the skies—the differences are nigh staggering for the woman turned jay. Beyond this, Alex’s stomach refuses to settle—still twisting and gurgling albeit now amongst far smaller innards; nevertheless, it is discomforting, distracting—bristling with anxious energy.

1 CP for everyone.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 1, 2009

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She shakes her head at the news of Vic's whereabouts. "God I hope he's being careful. That guy Frankie is a stone cold son of a bitch. He sicced infected on us. Infected. loving animal." She offers Luke a token smile at his reassurances, watching as Bahiti exits and tensing as the whistles and exclamations start, giving Luke a warning glance as Wayne squeezes her shoulder. She cocks her head, offering the man a quick smile, placing her hand over his briefly. "Same to you. I'll keep an eye on her, too." She nods in Valda's direction before taking a deep breath, motioning Martin over as well and placing a hand on his shoulder. "You're good to go?"

She doesn't wait for his affirmation, checking for herself as she does a mental headcount of who's going where. "Any of your people coming topside with us, Luke?" She didn't like the idea of leaving all the noncombatants with relative strangers, even if they seemed friendly enough. They were outnumbered and definitely outgunned. Of course that's why they invited them along in the first place, wasn't it. Still, having one of Vic's crew with them topside might give the rest pause if they were thinking about trying anything funny. Call it insurance for good behavior.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

With that reaction to Bahiti, he wondered how Luke and his people would take seeing Spot haul Martin up the mountainside. Probably not his problem, unless one of them freaked and started shooting in which case it would be everyone's problem surprisingly quickly. "Don't worry," he drawls. "She's new to us too. See y'all inside." Turning his attention to the mountain, he begins walking towards the base, freshly limber and ready to get this particular show on the road.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She smiles to Wayne, welcoming him over to the other party with a light wave, “We’ll try to be good ambassadors, huh?” The reaction from the humvee elicits a secret smile from the amused actress, though she looks over to Fiona and Dieter. The latter’s just what she expected, but the former’s response is a little more useful; unsure. That’s a little comforting for Allison, at least, as she makes her way over to the humvee with Wayne.

Resting a hand on the side of the vehicle, she raises her blackened arm up over her head and waves farewell to the other two parties before poking her head into the vehicle, then ducks her head back out, “Shotgun’s all yours, Wayne.”

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

Hobbs looked over to his blue feathered companion. He couldn't talk to her, but didn't matter that much at the moment. He didn't have anything to say to her that he hadn't said before.

"O.K. Feathers. You ready to kick some rear end? At least keep yourself safe O.K?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Staring at the others with renewed curiousity, Alex watches the meeting of Bahiti and Vic's group. They semed surprised, but not that surprised. Maybe thet had seen some strange things. Well they did save the others from the scarecrow. Jennifer's mention of the towns people elictes an angry, jeering call from the bird. They were bad. A twinge of guilt joins the anxious feeling in her stomach, and the jay shifts on Hobb's shoulder. And confused. Without Frankie they might be better.

Seeing the others start to leave only enhances her nerves, she didn't like not being able to see the sky. The air was good, it was a way to escape. This was just a big cave. Chriping, she nuzzles the side of Hobb's neck before flaping over to land on the hood of the Shelby. Engaging in a bit of birdsong, Alex hops onto the roof of the car, and looks from her mate, to the open door, and back again. Bobbing her head, she clacks her beak once. Don't worry. I'll be safe Hobbs. And back soon. I won't fly near anything nasty, and I'll keep a look out. Don't wory, I'll chack back in on everyone. Message lost in a series of whistles and musical notes, she smiles inwardly. I think he understands. A little bit.

With one last look, she darts out of the open door and into the sky.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Luke simply offers a nod and a smile to Jennifer at her concern. "I wouldn't worry about punks throwing down on Vic, ma'am. As for infected, we'll see to getting that sorted out." To the woman's last request, Luke grins and raises a hand slightly. "No, it's alright--I understand. Take C.J. then--he could use the exercise anyways. Yo!" Luke snaps his fingers, and the Asian man pokes his head out the humvee window. "Get out, you're going for a climb with the ladies."

"poo poo." 'C.J.' blinks, giving a glance over towards Allison before climbing out; giving an appraising look to the climbing team, C.J. nods in apparent approval. "Alright! At least it won't be a sausage fest." Stretching his arms high, the man does a few quick twists to begin limbering up before starting a jog over towards Greg and the others. "Have fun with the loving crypt keeper." Luke shakes his head, climbing back into the driver seat.

Martin is found still somewhat fatigued, but the man's jaw is set and demeanor determined; giving Jennifer a nod, he eyes C.J. as the man bee-lines over to Greg and Anca--giving both a long look and smiling wide. Clearing his throat, Martin leans nearer to whisper "These people, they are well armed." He gives Jennifer a lingering look and then joins the ascent group. The Raven bobs, eying Allison--before taking flight after the large jay, following her rise into the sky.

Follow. The voice is new to Alex, though recognizable almost immediately; a dark blur moves past her, black wings spreading wide as the Raven claims a warm current for a vastly quickened rise. Again sensation proves different, and dizzyingly so--as the woman begins to feel the waking feelings, stirring and powerful while awash with adrenaline--muscle burning as she flaps and flies. Below, the others seem so small now--the city visible, the mountains, trees and buildings, streets and sinkholes; her heart pounds within her smaller chest, while a feeling of power lingers poignantly. You are new, but I will teach you.

At the base of the mountain Jennifer finds Greg, Anca and Valda lined up and in the midst of stretches; Bahiti moves beyond the trio, hands at her hips for a moment as she gazes up along the mountain--before drawing her legs together and bending forward with a slow breath until she can hug her shins, pose held. C.J. stands watching the four of them now, grinning as he checks over his gear; a glance is shot towards Jennifer and Martin as they approach before returning to linger on Greg. Catching the look plainly, the soldier feels a smile form at her lips, warmth flitting within. I like that one, love--he is pleasing.

C.J. winks when he sees the smile, shaking his head and tightening a strap before his attention shifts slightly; Jennifer sees his head cock as he watches Valda from behind, grin returning before he glances to her. "Ready to roll." He throws a small salute.

~

Wayne replaces C.J. in the back seat beside Allison, leaning his rifle to rest between his legs and offering the actress the brief flash of a smile. Luke pulls ahead, following the lead of Rick's motioning into the building--headlights flipped on as the ramp down into the tunnel comes into view. "Nice." He murmurs, tires squeaking as he descends and begins the drive through the concrete passageway towards the motor pool. The rest of the vehicles are gathered inside before the garage doors are closed in their wake.

Sitting so near to her now, Allison can smell the smoke coming from the back--while feeling the fine hairs on her neck prick and rise at the tingling sensation which floods her arm; beyond sight, the actress feels tiny pinpricks against the limb, muscle spasming as a minutia of tugs and prods flutter against her. The sensation feels strangely, almost pleasing. Fiona sits, legs crossed, looking out the back window calmly.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Beating her wings a little faster, Alex follows Hugin in flight high above the city. She could see everything below in surprising detail. It felt wonderful, like a runner's high but better. A few more flaps and she levels off, glancing at the larger bird. Watching the scenery go by for a few moments, the blue jay gathers her thoughts. He could talk to her like Xi, probably because they were all birds, That made sense, but she still had questions.

The 'words' pour out quickly, the woman eager for answers, and the friendship of someone similar. Teach me? Am I like you? Did you have human parents too? Are there more like us? Is the magpie like us too?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

Well, he thinks somewhat cheerfully, at least both of us will have a good view. At that, he finds his own gaze drifting over to Bahiti, the pose presenting a very compelling view. Between her and Anca, he wondered if Inari was going to have to resort to ogling Martin as well to keep up the balance of equal numbers. Hell if he knew how that balance could be kept up if Phoebe were coming along too. Wasn't any harm in it, though- pleasant thoughts would keep him from focusing on some of the more difficult parts of climbing. Finishing his own stretching his gaze flits to the pair of birds overhead- Oh. Right. Something I wanted to ask, Inari... she turned into a biggish bird. Where'd... her extra mass go, since she's not using it right now? Part of him doesn't want to know the answer to that, while the rest of him knows he drat well has to.

"Yeah, I'm ready. You going to be able to keep up with us?" CJ gets a grin, of a different tenor than the smile Inari had briefly given him with the same mouth. "We might could get someone to carry you up the mountain if you need a break. Where are you from, anyway?" Well, he told himself, no harm in chatting with the man.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She watches Hugin take off, and can’t help but feel a twinge of resentment, or abandonment or something. One of those lovely feelings. But only a twinge. Without saying anything, she climbs in the hummer, not visibly reacting to the Raven’s departure. Mumbling after Luke, she agrees, “Yeah. Whole place is a piece of work. Some of it seems recently used, rest of it seems like it hasn’t been touched since Reagan was elected. And like I said, we found recently dead soldiers from somewhere, so at least someone still alive, still organized, has been poking around.”

She’d intended to keep talking, but goes quiet instead. The sensation is familiar. Settling into her seat, without looking around, she simply speaks up sharply, “Quit it.” Her voice is flat, even, with only the slightest hint of annoyance. But inside, she bristles with irritability, wanted to 'reach' out and snap tight on the probing 'feelers.' Maybe a bit of an overreaction, but she dislikes the sensation. Made her feel like she was being sized-up as prey.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

"We ah... mostly sorted it, but I think there's still a few wandering around down there." She nods again, hesitantly, wondering just how much the dark-skinned man really did understand. Mind reader, or just really good at people reading?

She instinctively looks around for Hugin as the thought forms, wondering if perhaps he could sense better here than he could back in town, but it appears he's busy with his new fledgling. She squints, looking up with a shaded hand as he and Alex disappear into the afternoon sky. The sun's position is a little after noon, from what she can tell. Still, no time to waste; she sure as hell didn't want to get driven out into darkness if the nightmare things were pursuing them.

Her eyes take in C.J. as he approaches, expression wary. Horndog. Or wants us to think he is. His comment garners a raised eyebrow. Crypt keeper? That... didn't sound encouraging. What exactly was in those boxes in the back, she wondered. Luke had said heavy firepower. That could mean a lot of things, in this day and age. She spares a worried glance to Wayne as he gets in the car, eyes flitting from him to Allison, wondering if she caught the reference. Maybe they could get C.J. talking on the climb. She hides a smirk as Greg turns on the charm. Might not be too hard.

She frowns as Martin puts on his typical stoic face, doing a little maintenance work with the newly-gleaned knowledge she received from exploring Bahiti's essence in the car; it wasn't much but it was better than nothing. She nods to his observation, meeting his gaze; if anyone could spot hidden weapons it would be Martin. We'll be alright she thinks at him, smiling reassuringly as she squeezes his arm. There wasn't much she could do about it anyway. Hell, she should probably be relieved.

So why wasn't she? Gut feelings. Nerves. Her inherent dislike of operating from a position of weakness. And there was no mistake about who was the second string on this motley team. Martin didn't like it any more than she did. Trust issues. Well... they'd see soon enough. She swallows as she approaches Valda and Anca and the rest, trying to still the discomforting butterflies that have suddenly seemed to nest in her stomach. They were taking an awful risk, even with C.J. with them. What if he was yet another new guy Luke and Vic could give a rat's rear end about? What if he were some super ninja that could more than handle himself against even the likes of Valda? She should have picked who went with them, not let Luke do it for her. Hindsight's twenty-twenty. Beggars can't be choosers.

She follows the others' lead, stretching herself even as her legs seem ready to propel her up the mountain at breakneck speed like dogs straining at a leash, begging to be set free. A half-smile tugs at the corner of her lips. One way to burn off some anxiety.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So many pleasant sights--and such rigors to enjoy ahead. Another grin comes unbidden to Greg's lips--tongue whetting them after. Now it's getting interesting. The bird? Yes. There was little room if she wished to fly--the excess was expelled, likely. She is a rather lovely one, now. Bahiti finishes the pose, casting a look towards the others before she sets off--bolting into a startlingly quick stride before vaulting up and onto a large rocky ledge, beginning to climb in earnest.

"I've had much worse." C.J. offers with a grin, starting up after the lead. "Back east--not like there's poo poo to look at now." He shrugs, stepping up and along only to be passed by Anca--who tackles the mountainside with a fervor. C.J. whistles, glancing back towards Jennifer before his eyes go wide with the sound of a chuff--Martin swaying into view atop Spot's lumbering bulk as the wyrm leaps and begins to climb. "poo poo! poo poo! Wow, yeah." He clicks his tongue, pointing a finger gun towards the broad beast. "Wow. Alright."

Valda shakes her head as she passes Jennifer, rolling her eyes. "Don't get reckless." Looking to her daughter, she smiles at C.J.'s reaction nevertheless, winking. Martin grunts, steadying his weapon against his lap while muttering beneath his breath as he invariably lays against Spot's back--wincing slightly as she moves and digging his boots against her sides. The ascent is afforded a modicum of shade, interspersed trunks and dried branches overhead; the climbers are even given the relief of a slight breeze--the same winds upon which Hugin and Alex soar higher still.

You see them, yes? Watch the motions--you will grow used to it. Feel the change of temperature; it is subtle. Focus on that sense. Follow it. Your pinions--raise them more. There. The Raven passes the Jay again, a nip of his beak felt against her briefly. Watch the rise. Good. You'll learn quickly--it's simply a matter of remembering. Instincts, blossoming now within Alex's chest--added to the myriad mix of things which had been largely absent when she had flown in her dreams; here, it was so much more vivid, more personal.

~

Luke pulls around the slow curve of the main bend, craning his head slightly as he peers ahead; "Reagan huh? We'll want to do a thorough sweep of course--I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eager to see what's inside." From Allison's side Wayne blinks at her outburst, tilting his head at her. Fiona grins, taking another long draw from her cigarette as Allison feels one last sharper tug that leaves her feeling a wild sense of vertigo for a moment--and her arm feeling weightless, ever so briefly.

1 CP for everyone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

"poo poo!" She echoes C.J. as Spot leaps, glancing at the man in alarm. "Don't shoot! Or... whatever you do, she's ours. That's Spot. And Martin is the guy on her." She climbs with the rest, nodding with a suppressed eyeroll to Valda before returning her grin with a halfhearted one of her own. "Bahiti is the one going up like a jackrabbit. Greg you've uh... obviously met. That's Anca, Va-Vivian and I'm Jennifer." This climb wasn't half bad, really. Out of the sun for now at least, a little bit of breeze -- which causes her to look uneasily to the sky for rain clouds -- and it wasn't too hot yet. They're making good time; C.J. doesn't seem to be any kind of a slouch.

"How'd you hook up with Vic and Luke and them? You another one of his old coworkers?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Her mind is quieted by Hugin's instructions. The wind flowed beneath her, and it was an almost tangible thing. As far as Alex was concerned, it may as well be a road laid out before them. Remembering. Instincts that she hadn't even been aware of were being dredged up in the women, and a growing sense of happiness had settled in her chest. A peep of surprise is let out when the raven nips a feather, before she settles back into a relaxed flight. Thank you. Xi had helped, but this was something different. It was real, and it felt wonderful. Adjusting a few feathers, she rises and falls ever so slightly. She would learn.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She glances to Wayne out of the corner of her eyes and just shakes her head. Chidingly, she scolds Fiona, looking in the rearview mirror to eye the other woman, “Now, dear. I wouldn’t go touching everything unless you know where it’s been.” She leans forward into the front seat and points ahead for Luke, “Should be some cars still in the garage up here, I think fueled up. We were gonna drain the extras, but I don’t know if anyone got around to it.”

Fiona doesn’t get another look, but Allison’s attention is now constantly divided. At least part of her mind sits coiled or pulled ready like a bear trap, waiting for another sensation, another brush. Just an excuse.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

"Back East, huh?" He grins. "Kentucky, myself. Russian parents though." And let him puzzle out how the hell someone who looked like him had Russian parents. No sense making it easy for CJ to figure out, after all, or where would the fun in puzzling him be? The sudden conjunction of that particular thought with his own experiences with a few of the tricksters draw a sudden chuckle at absolutely nothing, and the chiding thought- Hah! Listen to what I'm thinking. You, Inari, are a terrible influence, making me confuse that poor man just because it sounds funny. Anyway. Expelled? Sounds... unpleasant. And not easily reversed. Still, I'm happy she's happy, though Hobbs might be a bit twitchy. CJ's reaction to the wyrm is further confirmation, for him, that Vic's group hadn't been exposed much to the more... supernatural side of this particular crisis. Hell, they might need each other just as much as he'd hoped- and that draws another grin.

Watching Bahiti and Anca and CJ all start climbing the mountain, though, that draws a smile that is in no way a simple grin; that is a full fledged cheerful near-laugh. You know... we probably COULD beat them up the mountain? But the view is going to be so very much more pleasant from the rear. Why push it the whole way? We can see how quickly we can climb for the last bit after we've had our fun. Starting to scale rocks with a more deliberate pace, hanging behind those three, he lets his gaze drift around between Anca, Bahiti, and- for the sake of fairness- CJ as they climb in front of him. Pleasant thoughts for all. It feels a little like being a kid in a candy store, but knowing if he tries to eat every piece of candy he sees he's going to be damned sick. But looking, now, looking was free. For the time being. To Jennifer's question, he barks a short laugh. "Man, Jennifer, you're going to make me look bad. All I let out was that I got guided to you guys and they got reeealllly interested, but I told them the full story'd wait until we'd finished clearing the mountain. Suppose we could trade story for story..."

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 2, 2009

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Blackbird Dreaming

Hoisting himself deftly over the edge of a boulder, C.J. shoots Jennifer an incredulous look to his side. “Spot? That’s a Spot?” Ahead the wyrm halts with a chuff, craning her head back around and flicking an ear as Martin totters on her back; nostrils flaring, the beast grunts and C.J. hikes a brow. Martin pats the wyrm’s flank, rubbing a hand against her and leaning to mutter into her ear—nearly taking a horn to the shoulder as she tries to turn her head toward the rider and drawing protest as he rears back. “Seien Sie vorsichtig mit Ihren Hörner, Pferd!” Shaking his head, Martin steers the wyrm ahead with his knees, sighing.

Of mention of Bahiti, the woman has pulled well ahead already—legs pumping as she weaves her way along the ascent, leaping and grasping, pulling herself up and hooking a knee onto an overhang before turning to offer a hand to Anca to pull her up in kind. By now, the mountainside has begun to become more sharply steepened—allowing in turn a backward view of far more of the terrain left in the wake of the climbers. C.J. moves closer to Jennifer, shooting a look back towards the soldier’s more leisurely ascent; flashing a smile to the woman, he mutters “Jennifer. Uh, that’s Greg? Not, uh, Gina or something?” Expression plaintive, the man nearly jumps at the sudden slap he receives from Valda on the small of his back. “Keep climbing Casanova.”

Somewhat redenned between exertion and circumstance, C.J. continues with renewed vigor, shaking his head as his eyes fall again to Martin and his mount—the man having now laid against the beast’s back more comfortably with a hand at her horns as she scales one of the steeper inclines almost casually, muscle surging behind bulk. “Not like Luke or anything, no.” He offers, glancing back again to offer the soldier another smile—only to gawk as mid-motion of hauling herself over one of the lower ledges, Greg feels Inari flex the pull into a press an arch her legs up and overhead—achieving a handstand before her heels follow through and she rises to her feet with a grin. “Wow.”

For all the nuances of the climb, Greg finds his co-inhabitant all the more actively making a game of the exercise—taking to the challenge after her own strange fashion. It is the way of things, love—in our blood. She lets the next hanging pull linger until her fingertips begin to ache, closing her eyes and smiling. I am impressed that she has managed what she has without aid. Tendons draw taut as muscle squeezes bone—another long draw to pass the next rise before a happy sigh escapes her; standing then to face the open air, Inari draws a deep breath and holds it—grinning ear to ear.

“As for how we got together,” C.J. pauses to kneel and offer Valda a hand—who pulls herself the rest of the way up the ledge without it. He shrugs. “Vic found me, Luke liked me, and I’ve been doing my thing with them for…” using a partly overturned tree, C.J. wedges his way up past a sheer face of rock. “Little over two, three weeks.” Inari takes a moment to admire the display, eyes shifting then to Anca and Bahiti—the pair having made their way a fair ways ahead of the others, with the latter now crouched against her heels, head cocked as she listens. Nimble.

Following the winds in a wide arc, Hugin looks back to Alex as his head dips toward the mountain. Good. Very good. Lower, toward the peaks; pay attention to the way they change the currents. The air here is very dry—it is a good opportunity for practice. A pause then, dark wings turning as the Raven descends somewhat sharply before the jay. Do you see the door now? Follow the ridge ahead of you with your eyes—watch the contours. Within, that tingling remains incessant, light muscle burning with each small breath; here the air was not just dry, but thinner as well—an edge of Alex’s consciousness keenly aware of the creak and bend of hollow bones as she moves. Far below, she can make out the others as they climb—a pair of small shadows passing them by as she glides.

~

Bringing the humvee to a halt, Luke puts the vehicle into park and leaves the engine to idle before turning to address the back seat. “Now we’re just waiting on the word.” He smiles. “We’re going to prep.” Unbuckling his seat belt, the man reaches down the center console to retrieve a black water bottle and a handful of what looks like loose change—beginning to methodically check himself over. The headlights linger on the closed door to the motor pool, keypad visible where it lay set into the wall; offering Allison another tight-lipped smile, Wayne opens his door and slides out—coughing into his fist before clearing his throat and moving along the side of the vehicle.

Fiona sighs wistfully, eyes lidded as she idly examines a lace on her boot; lip curling, she finishes her cigarette before tossing it out the window—rising from her seat and recovering her jacket to tie about her waist; Allison can feel the woman’s presence lurking near to her own, yet it does not touch her. Dieter is silent in his seat as leather gloves are tugged tight; he turns an eye on the actress, jaw set as he stares at the woman. Hopping out from the back, Fiona stretches her arms high above her head and yawns—an uncomfortable gurgle roiling in the actress’ stomach as she feels a twinge at the small of her back.

~

With the last of the SUVs inside and the door closed, the occupants of the convoy are left among musty air and dry heat; Hobbs finds himself feeling somewhat dizzy once he rises from his seat in the Shelby—sinuses stuffy and clogged as his eyes pass over dust motes in streams of light from high windows. Phoebe lays her hand against Jack’s thigh, worrying her lip as she watches several of the others begin to emerge from their vehicles; Megan sits with her legs dangling from the back of one of the SUVs, looking over to the tinted window beside the broker’s seat.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

Yeah, she would have preferred Vic to be here. Luke is nice enough but just slippery enough to be less than trustworthy. She watches his hands and his preparation, thoughts lingering a little. And if Fiona or Dieter did try something funny… Well, she’s not sure Luke could stop them.

Sliding out of the humvee, she rests a hand on Wayne’s shoulder and rubs it, leaning in to shoot him a worried look. Wayne gets some genuine concern; she’s fond of him. He’s agreeable, and gruff, and good-humored, seemed a good sort. Besides, Jennifer might literally kill me if something happens. Not for the first time, Allison idly worries about what the edge of that sword must feel like.

Looking over her shoulder, Dieter gets his look returned for a moment. She doesn’t give Fiona the satisfaction of looking over her way, but stays vigilant and waiting, as she swore she would. The hunger in her stomach puts a more vicious edge on that defense, and maybe makes her even more paranoid. Hearing the yawn from behind her, and the arms raised overhead, Allison braces in anticipation, because she knows all too well that that’s exactly what she herself would do before…

There. The tingling brush against her spine touches the hair trigger, and Wayne can feel Allison’s hand clamp down on his shoulder. She stays calm, relaxed, except for the tensing of muscles, and glances out of the corner of her eye. ‘Sensing,’ probing, feeling, she reaches out to grab, seize, squeeze, tug, and pull any part of Fiona’s presence she finds in a sudden, quick action. Being hungry, paranoid, tired, annoyed, angry and maybe a little bit frightened makes it easy for Allison to not hold back.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Wayne stiffens, brows high as he looks to Allison’s hand and then the actress herself. “You O.K.?” He mutters low, glancing towards Dieter as he turns to face the woman; the tingle remains even as Allison lashes out, tendrils reaching and grasping until finding the vaguely familiar texture and taste of the fair-skinned woman’s essence. ‘Fingers’ clutch against that slick presence, wrapping tight before tugging and pulling as quickly as she is able—feeling the fevered draw pull from that mass, far thicker than the servant in Kebe’s quarters, feeling it squeezed. Allison’s head swims with the sensation, a faint pulse felt in that hold—a beating warm rhythm as saliva is summoned readily. Wayne furrows his brow, jaw set. “What’s wrong?”

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

It’s… amazing really. It’s hard to express just how satisfying it is. Or how difficult it is to make herself stop. It’s ultimately that rhythm that makes her stop. Heartbeat? She withdraws swiftly, head swimming with that rush while contending with her appetite, furious at being teased only to then be denied. Somberly, she swallows the gathering saliva, feeling it slide down her throat with particular poignancy. It had been... incredibly satisfying, on so many levels.

Allison looks back at Fiona, then mumbles to Wayne, “Nothing, just was getting the feeling I wasn't being taken seriously.” She lifts her chin, and gives Fiona one more look before standing straight and heading towards Luke, “We wait for the topside team, then. Radios even working?”

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Mimicing Hugin's descent, Alex pays rapt attention to the currents or air around the mountian. Like a rock in the middle of rapids, the winds broke upon it, slightly turbulent in it's wake. He was right about the weather, attepting to learn flight in the middle of a thunderstorm, or in the winds of Mt. Washington, might be a bit beyond her abilities. For now.

Eyes drawn to the contours by Hugin's words, the blue jay eyes the rock face studiously, seaching for the door. The sight of the others climbing inspires a touch of excitement in the bird. They were so far below, how high had they flown? The air was certianly thinner, she could feel it in her lungs and muscles as thier exertion became slightly more arduous. But it was good, her bones and feathers were made for this, just as the climber's bobies were made for walking and climbing. If only they could see the view.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

"Oh, she's a sweetheart, don't let her appearance fool you," Jennifer replies lightly, sweat beading on her brow as she searches for handholds, pulling herself up easily, bare feet letting her toes cling to smaller cracks and stones. She tries not to think about just how dirty they might be getting, what's on her hands as she pulls, heaves, lifts, steps. Martin's reaction gets an amused grin. "Careful," she calls to him unnecessarily, tone teasing.

"That's Greg," she echoes in affirmation, amused at the other man's expense. "One of our longer stories, really." She chuckles as Valda spurs him on, listening as he relates his recent past and trying not to roll her eyes at the showing off of either Greg or Inari -- or possibly both, now. It was getting harder to separate the actions of the two. Which, she supposed, made sense. Still a little unnerving. Made her worry how hard it might be to separate Coyote when the time came if she were perfectly honest with herself.

"Where'd he find you?" She follows him up the tree trunk, walking easily up the steep incline and hopping to the next ledge. "What's your thing, exactly?" Two or three weeks, huh. So he was not as new as Fiona, but new enough. How long had Vic and Luke been running around like this? Vic, Luke, Fiona, Dieter, C.J.... Five of them, or more? Was someone else with Vic, or was he facing down nigh on thirty people solo? Again the question of who the hell, what the hell this guy was flits through her mind.

"And what's C.J. stand for, anyway."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"God," He mutters. He takes a step away from the vehicle and then places his hands on the door to steady himself. His head was swimming, he tried to think, but all his thoughts were a jumbled mess. He shuts the door closed and makes his along the side of the car. Hands on the hood to steady himself. His body swayed as he fought to stay upright. Can't breathe, feeling closed in. drat, what the hell. Hobbs let himself kneel down to one knee. He rested his head on the side of the Shelby.

"gently caress." His knee gave out and he landed on his butt. "Ouch. loving hell."

Crawling back up to his knees he moved over and leaned on the car. He closed his eyes, breathed through his mouth. Drawing his knees up, Hobbs rest his head on his knees.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

With every apparent sign of enjoying himself thoroughly, "Russian has a lot of names that could be shortened to Greg! See if you can come up with some that are girl's names, and I'll tell you if you're right." He didn't say he had one of them, after all, and hope was a precious gift for CJ. If he was going to lurch due trickster, he may as well make sure to enjoy it. Valda's responding slap on the back draws a snort from him before he lets himself, internally, sink a little more into himself. He's starting to be able to recognize the signs of when exactly Inari has something she wants to do with the body, and getting out of her way- she did that rarely enough that it would have felt petty, somehow, not to let her drive.

And besides, there was no way in hell he would have done a handstand on a rock outcropping halfway up a goddamned mountain without her being the one to do it. Greg was acutely and extremely grateful he'd never been particularly afraid of heights. With more height, more gymnastic tricks, more things he still wouldn't do instinctively even with a day or two of practice in this lithe body. Showing off? Maybe. But as they keep going and he keeps burning more and more precious energy in what is, admittedly, a fun way it's at least keeping CJ's mouth lubricated. Wincing mid handstand at the possible double entendre in that last thought, he quietly thinks, Are you sure she didn't have help? I know Fenrir was in her head at one point. And there was another bird there when we were talking with him, I didn't get too good a glimpse of. Still- impressive even with help, if you ask me. "Hey, CJ." He calls out as he tumbles forward off of one rock lip, Inari knowing the way to move his legs to catch himself and helping him do so without him having to panic. "Just while we climb. Had any fun dreams lately? Nowadays seems like the world's more alive and pleasant when I'm in bed than when I'm not." And if that wasn't another double entendre when delivered to the Asian man, he was a pink elephant. Good lord, he hadn't even consciously meant that one.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
Jack

The oppressive air adds to his already growing tension. He realizes he's been jiggling his leg nervously, a bad habit that Phoebe's touch stills momentarily. Finally, the waiting gets to him.

gently caress it, there's no one left to tell me no.

"I'll be right back Phoeb, I need to get my gun."

Jack swings open the door with purpose, moving to the back of the SUV. Of course he'd seen his Sig while taking inventory, but in the interest of remaining a good citizen and not pissing off Jennifer and Greg, he'd left it alone. Well, gently caress that. He'd rather be a terrible shot with his left hand than sit there unarmed while the monsters come for them.

Jack rifles through a ripped duffle bag of ammunition and spare guns, coming up with his prized possession wrapped in an old dishtowel. He smiles as he slides it into its holster, still strapped to his thigh after all this time, not yet disintegrated from its exposure to the rain and caustic surf.

Megan gets a nod as he heads back to his seat. "Sorry," he thinks, but for what he isn't sure. That's when he spots Hobbs. Jack moves quickly forward, going down onto one knee next to the big man in the biohazard suit.

"Hey man, are you okay?" He raises his voice, sounding frantic enough about it to be embarrassing. "Hey! Somebody come help out here! It's Hobbs." He looks for the mans face behind the visor, hoping the guy is at least conscious. "Talk to me, man."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
"Sporting goods store in the mall." C.J. grins, pausing to wipe the back of a hand against his brow as he watches Jennifer haul up and over a ledge not eight feet ahead--moving swiftly to follow her footing with a grunt as he pulls himself along. "Have to get back to you on that one." He offers to Jennifer's follow-up question, gritting his teeth as he joins her on the ledge. Further still above Spot's snout peeks out over an edge, nostrils flaring as she snuffles before snorting and drawing back.

Short of the wyrm by only a matter of moments, Bahiti is second to finish the ascension--joined afterward by Anca and Valda in kind; poised together, C.J. makes to offer Jennifer a boost--only for the pair to be overtaken by the hastened nimble footwork of the soldier from below as she grins ear to ear. C.J. blinks, shaking his head. "I don't know about fun dreams, but I had a dream where I got hosed by a guy selling timeshares."

C.J. pauses.

"hosed over by a guy selling timeshares." He adds with a grimace; without skipping a beat, he leans nearer to Jennifer and gives a nod up towards Valda as she dusts herself off above. "What's her story?" He smiles, and then adds "Chen Ji." Reaching the top, Greg finds Bahiti already near the door shifting her weight from heel to heel; beside her, Martin dismounts from Spot with a wince, giving the wyrm a pat on the snout when she begins to sniff with earnest at his abdomen.

Overhead, Alex spies the arrival at the ledge--able to more clearly make out the camouflaged entrance once the others have settled in its vicinity; Hugin dips wide once more, silvered eyes glinting as his wings fan out. Good. Now we'll see how much endurance you can muster. Shielding her eyes against the sun, Inari peers up at the winged duo with a sly smile. Fenrir is not the sort I would attribute such a change to, love.

Inari moves to the edge, kneeling to take Jennifer's hand and hoist her up from C.J.'s boost before helping the man after her; once topside, C.J. pulls the radio from his rigging and clicks it on. "We're here." Only a short moment and a click of static before Luke's reply. "Copy, making music." Replacing the radio, C.J. unscrews and takes a long swig from his canteen; rubbing his hands together afterward, he smiles wide. "Ladies?"

~

Wayne furrows his brow, jaw tight at Allison's reply; to the rear of the humvee, Fiona remains nonplussed--sauntering past the actress and brushing against her hip. Luke lifts his radio--Allison's question near to a cue for a crack of static followed by "We're here." Luke smiles, clicking it back before his reply. "Copy, making music." Tucking the radio back at his belt, Luke rolls his shoulders and then gives Wayne a look. "Sir, if you don't mind?" Wayne nods, making his way over to the keypad and punching in the code; a light flicks over, and the door begins to open.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

"Timeshares." He echoes. "Well, that's a new one by me. Me... hm. Do you like hunting?" And wouldn't that just be a brilliant reaction if that's how he found out he was a wolf, let alone a male one. "Didn't really have the taste for it back when I was a soldier. Seemed silly. Still, last few days, I'm wishing I'd been doing it sooner." CJ having gotten a fine rear view for the last stretch, he hauls himself up to see Bahiti and Spot already there. You'd know better than I would. At this point I suspect everyone of everything. It cuts down on the amount of surprises I have to deal with. Spot, apparently, is investigating the possibilities for slurping. In a mock severe tone, "No licking until we're done fighting, Spot. His belly will wait, and I'm reasonably sure he doesn't have chocolate under his clothes." Padding over, he scratches the inquisitive wyrm behind one horn, watching their new arrival signal for the assault to start; when the go ahead is given, though, he slings his rifle off his shoulders and checks the action, nodding.

"Alright. I've got point. Form in behind me, let's go through these top floors quick and clean."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

Hearing the new guy react, Hobbs looks up.

"Not feeling well. Keep your distance." Hobbs raised his hand to stop them. He didn't want anyone getting too close. In his confused state, Hobbs figured there was nothing they could do.

"I just need a rest. That's all."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Laughter bubbles up in her mind in the absence of a body that could handle it. Feeling more confident then she had in years, Alex beats her wings a little faster. After the past year, I have to have some endurance. Spotting the distinct shapes of the others, the bird gives a slight nod of satisfaction. Satisfied that they were up safely, she turns her gaze to the town. Hopefully the assholes down there were too busy with acting out Mad Max to notice the climbers. Of course, they might not be the most dangerous things below.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She takes the offer of a hand up, leaning on him more than necessary. No reason to let him know everyone's capabilities, especially if he was going to be coy about his own. "That is a weird-rear end dream," she comments, glancing up at Valda and smirking as she looks at C.J. with a mixture of amusement and warning. "Way out of your league, Chen Ji. She's ex-military. And married."

Taking her mother's hand, she hauls up the rest of the way, standing on the ledge and catching her breath, watching as C.J. radios down. 'Making music?' she mouths to Valda, shrugging as Greg takes point and unsheathing her blade. Okay, Ingridr, let's hope your christening is an uneventful one.

"You a distance or close-up kind of man?" She glances at C.J. then looks at Greg, nodding at the door. "Who's doing the honors?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She ignores the brush from Fiona there. She had won their little exchange and wouldn’t let herself get ruffled now. She tells herself this, even as the rest of her, the irrational, instinctive, reactive side of her, tells her that she isn’t safe, and it would feel more satisfying to press Fiona more. The rational side of her also tells her she isn’t safe.

Not even through the door yet, and I can see all the ways this is going to go wrong. There was always the Dr. Smith or whatever. The fidgety or sneering member of the team who you knew from the start was either going to betray everyone or do something stupid that completely hosed everyone else over. Well, in movies anyway. Allison at least lets her hands rest on her gun, even though she isn’t so confident in firing it. “When we got pushed out, there were moving bodies. Not like infected, these were bodies that were dead before and something picked up and started using. Maybe like at the farmhouse, Luke. But a few days before that, we had a large insect, very large, some hosed-up dogs, don’t know if you seen those around town, near the big sinkhole.”

Talking about them all seemed a bad idea, as though mentioning it would conjure them up. But it also reminds her that they beat all those things. No big deal. We’ve done this before. "And of course, there's whatever was in it's jail cell but now isn't." She sticks close to Wayne, watching the door open, swallowing the lump in her throat, and trying to ignore the holes Dieter must be burning in her back with his stare.