Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Anca's glance to Jennifer then is one of surprise. "Sis, it's proper--you're supposed to have a name for your weapon. Martin gets it, sheesh." She shakes her head, leaning back in her seat a bit. "Auntie Ing? More stubborn than Mom, but a better cook." Anca grins, impishly. "Don't tell her I said that though or she'll whip my rear end." A laugh. No response from her sword.

Kneading steadily, Jennifer works around the joint of the jackal's knee, feeling that hardened essence begin to soften and flow once more. "No." Bahiti murmurs quietly, crooked in the corner of her seat and the door. "I... Yes. How did you..?" Her head lifts slightly, peering over to the woman's work. Muscle responds to the freki's motions now--reactive as Martin's had become in many ways, if not more so.

"A guardian protects those who cannot protect themselves, and those who are important. Some protect the high order, and some, even the sacred family. High Khenti was a priest of the high order, charge of the sacred Sekhmet. It is proper that I am a guardian as well." She grows quiet, eyes shutting once more as Jennifer proceeds.

~

Fiona scarcely regards Greg's glance, taking another leisurely draw of her cigarette as she sits cross-legged; reflecting within, the soldier finds Inari's voice quieted, somewhat more distant. I am here; this company is curious--some unpleasant, some quite pleasant. I will explore. Luke nods to the direction, exiting the road where indicated and maneuvering further ahead; with mention, however, of the Wendigo's fate--he looks to Greg's reflection through tinted shades. "You not only let it go, but showed it the way out? Ma'am, that's..." He shakes his head.

(Editing more)

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Hobbs

"I think I'm about done with the heroing for a while. My spirit is willing, but my body not so much. I'm pretty side lined in this operation any ways. Shouldn't have problems."

Shouldn't have problems, yes, but there could be problems. What if Frankie's boys got a clue about where our base is. I wouldn't put it past a bastard who uses infected to take a shot at the weakest part of our group. That's assuming there's no other groups running around now. Don't think anything in the mountain would cause trouble for this group. If Vic's people are going in ground level and a group of our people are going in top that should bottle up any nasties inside. Don't know how good Vic's people are. So far all I've heard are stories about them and the stories don't give me much information. They might have rescued our people, but they could've gotten lucky then too. Gotta hope they can put up a decent enough fight. If they can do that, then I can move our people in after them. A lot safer just inside the mountain then outside. If we can just move into the garage, we should be able to stay safe. Use the vehicles as barricades and keep eyes open in each direction. That seems like that would work. Should keep us safe. I don't want to tell Alex, but no matter how my body is feeling, I can't let any of our people get hurt if I can help it.

His attention is drawn back to Alex as she squeezes his shoulder. He twists and pats her hand.

"I'm figuring I'm going to do my best to keep my head down and my back to the wall."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

Her jaw works as she pauses in her ministrations, not looking at Anca. "She's dead. Pale Man killed her for the sword. It was hers." She glances at the blade at its silence, then takes a deep breath. "Ingridr. That's its name." Seemed a fitting tribute. She had a feeling the woman in question would approve. Or at least snort amusedly.

Bahiti's leg is distracting, thankfully, and that same sense of wonder, of possession starts filtering through as the stuff beyond flesh yields to her fingers, becomes pliant. She begins putting it to rights, or... well, more right. This goes here, that goes there. That would better angled a bit closer to.... She moves up the woman's thigh determinedly, watching without seeing as the lines and cords fall thrumming into place. She can almost hear it, the song of her very being. "You're telling me," she murmurs, face acquiring a distracted, listening look.

She smiles slightly as Bahiti explains about her father, her mother. "We need guardians. We have some of each of those for you to protect. I'm glad we ran into each other." She goes as high as she can, propping the woman's foot up on the seat before leaning back, a come-hither motion with one hand beckoning her other foot forward. "What's a sacred Sekhmet?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Greg

Laconically, he replies, "I didn't like it much either. But hell, we weren't expecting to run into anything like it- the base had been empty, and we had no idea there was even a prison down there almost until we ran into it." He was stretching the truth, but not so badly- enough that he could live with. Shading the truth, perhaps, instead of an outright lie. "Like I said, we didn't have the strength with us when we met it to fight it, running didn't seem like it would work, and it wasn't going to take no for an answer. It was poo poo or get off the toilet, and we decided to poo poo. And believe me, loosing that thing on the world felt like poo poo."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
To Greg's side Dieter voices a grunt, crossing broad arms against his chest; Fiona flashes a grin. "Don't sound so disappointed--think of it as job security." She waves a hand towards the front of the humvee, taking another draw from her cigarette then. "How'd you end up with them in the first place, anyways?" The yet unnamed man with a rather pointed interest in Greg's present shape speaks up; through the windshield the hidden entrance to the mountain draws nearer still--it wouldn't be much longer now.

~

When we arrive, I shall. Silvered eyes regard the actress, the Raven's head cocked. But now I would merely crowd already limited space. Thoughts turned inward, Allison reaches out for the presence woven into the fiber of her own--finding a quiet which lingers before he voices a reply. I will survive--I am numbed to the irritation now. Another pause, as she mentions the fight to come. I know. Patience is urged, amidst the flurry of other thoughts. Again he speaks, softer still.

I know.

"Dead." Anca parrots, staring straight ahead at the road; for a brief instant, Jennifer catches a wayward flinch; "A good name then." She adds somberly. "We'll get him, sis." Fingers flex at the wheel, squeezing; and it is as Jennifer squeezes in kind that she begins to feel more reactive progress--the tight flex of powerful muscle as she strums, responsive solely to that touch beneath the surface--and when the first bout of her handiwork is eased aside, the freki is left with the canny sense that she has improved the flow of essence and power in that limb.

Allison seated beside the performance feels it, even before any audible reaction--it's the way that flow shifts, intensifies just slightly there, the brush of her own awareness registering what almost seems a realignment. Sculpted, shaped, set to fluidity--and in doing so, the actress can feel that well of presence grow more accessible, warmer, more noticeable to her own extended touch--were she to see it likened to a 'drink', the 'straw' to such was made that much larger.

Bahiti shifts positions, offering a somber look to mention of Ingridr's demise. "Important family?" she notes, head cocked--but the answer is plain enough; to the smile Jennifer favors, Bahiti forms one of her own. "This is good, then. I will be happy to have duty again." She blinks then at the latter question, brow knitting. "Sekhmet, of the sacred family; she is a great warrior."

1 CP for everyone. With a critical success a Eureka! moment has been had; Jennifer has discovered a technique to improve upon the flow of essence within others.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

Fiona's comment gets another snort as its response. "All things considered I'd rather have been able to take him out then and there. Something tells me there's enough poo poo gone wrong in the world to have an entire lifetime's worth of work ahead no matter which way I jumped on Wendigo." Rolling his neck again instead of stretching further, Greg answers the question, "Too long a story to get into now. Does bear into the wider situation though, so we'll cover it afterwards. To be brief, and I know how odd this may sound, I got guided to them in dreams up in West Virginia while they were on the way... well, here." He shrugs in the confined space. "It's worked out well enough."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

There’s a wince on her face; that isn’t the answer she wanted to hear. But she grits her teeth and does her best to smother her guilt for the moment, even as she whispers aloud to Coyote this time, “…just a little longer.

Turning her head sharply, she looks over to Jennifer, eyes darting up from her hands to her face, responding before she can stop herself, “What did you ju-“ Her eyes look back and forth again, “…what did you do?”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She glances at Anca sympathetically in the rearview mirror, trying to meet her eyes, but the creak of the steering wheel and the sudden spasm of a shoulder tell her that she's still taking it in. She didn't want to break the news like that, it just sort of... came out. She didn't even know Anca knew her, much less that well. How did she know her? How could she? I'd never even heard of her before a few days ago, except...

She'd offer a squeeze to Anca's words, but she has her hands full, and the gears are working in her mind's eye, tumbling into place, moving smoothly, chords thrumming in perfect tune as she gets it: a brief but blindingly illuminating flash of realization, of how not only Bahiti works, but how this gift of hers, this second sight through her fingers, how bodies in general work, and how they don't, and how to reconcile the two into this more perfect union of form and function. Its intoxicating, ululation rushing through her veins, her chords in turn. Like calling to like, under the skin they were all truly connected, all the same.

Allison's gasp brings her head up, a slow smile blossoming beatifically across her face, cheeks flush with effort. "I can rebuild her," she intones with hazy glee, gazing over her shoulder at the startled actress, "better than she was before. Better, faster, stronger."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She stares at Bahiti for a moment, trying to sort out with her ‘fingers’ just what was changed where, follow what Jennifer had done. Glancing up to the freki, she realizes she must have been staring and falls back on a quick quip, “And we all know how that turned out for Lee Majors. Three TV movies and four seasons, and a hellish post-career of bit parts that cost him Farah Fawcett.”

Bam, film history

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

"But he will always be the Six Million Dollar Man." She turns back to her work, smiling at Bahiti and realizing the poor thing probably has no idea what's going on, in either her body or the conversation. "Sorry. I uh... just figured out something. Your legs should be good now. If you want to turn around I can get your back."

She waits for the woman to comply before beginning, asking, "So she's a warrior, huh." She smiles a little. "She doesn't have a kind of croco-hippo-monster thing as a pet, does she?" God, wouldn't it be hilarious if this turned out to be Rick's ex.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Bahiti gapes slightly, amber eyes flitting from freki to actress and back again several times during the pair's exchange; all the while, Jennifer's attentions are all the more rigorous, results speaking potentially volumes for the effort--while by the time she has left off, the jackal's legs stand at a sheen. Anca again looks to the mirror, clucking her tongue at Jennifer. "We're almost there." Turning on her seat, Bahiti draws her knees to her chest as her back is offered, rubbing at Jennifer's handiwork wide somewhat wide eyes. "I have never been tended like this; I feel that I can run for days..." She leans forward, resting her head on her knees. "Do you mean Ammit?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She nods to Anca, tossing her braid over one shoulder as she begins working on Bahiti's shoulders. She had to admit a certain curiosity as to just how her head was attached to her body, how it worked. She still couldn't quite shake the feeling that at any moment she'd pop the head off, have a normal human head underneath. She risks a gentle touch of the swiveling, flicking ears as she asks, "Who's Ammit?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

She nods in agreement. "Just make sure you remember that. We can't lose you. I can't lose you." A few more minutes of silence pass before she speaks up again. "I'm sure that Chris will be eager to help keep watch. I think he looks up to you. Was scared at first, but you're tough and fairly normal. Give him a role model I guess. Think that when this is all done he'll end up being a farm boy. That'll get him some girls." Smiling at the thought, Alex glances over at Hobbs. "We'll all be farmers after this."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 25, 2009

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She looks up, seeming to give Jennifer’s response some thought, then nods in agreement, “I guess that’s true.” Better to have some legacy than none, I guess. Her eyes look over towards Bahiti, the thick clay of her essence seeming a bit more well-defined. Coyote could use it. It even feels much like his, the same consistency and texture. A little to bolster him. She frowns and looks back out the window, idly listening to the conversation about this Sekhmet still. I have a chance to fix my gently caress-up, but…

She shrugs her shoulders. Jennifer’s sitting right there. She’d find another source soon enough. Not fair to make someone else pay for her gently caress-up anyway. Even if that someone else is a jackal-headed guardian spirit of some sort. Just be patient.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
Jack

His reverie is broken by the strange sound of silence coming from the driver's seat. Either Rick has fallen asleep or actually ran out of things to say.

"We almost there?" Jack looks a bit nervously at the others in the vehicle, trying to remember what little he's supposed to know about these people. Plus, the battle plans had largely been formed without him, and everyone had been so busy--he'd only managed to glean a few important bits. "We are staying put somewhere with the rest of the non-fighting types, right?" Jack tries to remind himself that legitimate military minds formulated this plan. It only comforts him a little.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Gravel crackling and dust billowing, the humvee's rocking advance finds road once more--cresting a rock-lined ridge and bringing the building atop the ground tunnel into the base in sight. Luke looks to Greg in the mirror again with a nod--though much of the mirth seems to have gone from the man on the matter of the wendigo; with mention of having been guided to the others, however, those surrounding the soldier straighten and Luke glances over his shoulder to the woman. "'Guided'? What do you mean by guided?"

~

Rick cranes his head, brow furrowed as he squints at the distant plume beyond; as dust clears the dark humvee comes into view, joined then by the nearing presence of the base entrance below the mountain. "That's it up ahead." A nod, bringing the wheel around as the convoy falls back into place. "I imagine we'll be staying inside there at least to be out of sight, out of mind, you know?" A grin is flashed to Jack--Phoebe's grip at his arm somewhat more insistent then as she straightens in her seat to watch the other vehicle. "I'll stay with you, too." She offers, favoring the broker with a slim smile.

Green glinting metallic hues off the hood, a near sparkle beneath the sun as the engine rumbles and hums beneath; Hobbs and Alex sit bathed in the blow of warm air, freon an apparent absent luxury from an otherwise comfortable car ride. Within, Alex can feel a faint restless tingling at the pit of her stomach--a stiffness at the muscle of her jaw coupled in turn with a low ringing almost imperceptible beyond the sounds of the Shelby. With the base entrance coming into view, Alex is jolted by a hiccup--and from the corner of his vision Hobbs spies a shock of blue in the woman's hair.

~
Bahiti continues to tenderly rub at her shins, head cocked slightly as she boasts an air of awe at Jennifer's handiwork; with attention shifted to her shoulders, the woman looses a low breath and narrows her eyes to slits, resting her chest against her drawn knees again. Fingers trailing from curiosity, Jennifer finds the change of acute sensation as she moves from skin to the fine fur of the strange woman's neck.

Beneath the surface of Bahiti's neck there is no seam, whimsy though there may be--but strong solid muscle and a fair almost velvet texture. When the freki's fingertips find those large ears, Bahiti twitches briefly before her eyes close. Jennifer's question finds a short breath in Bahiti before she murmurs her reply. "Ammit is judgement; she is there when hearts are weighed, to swallow the judged. Without their hearts, they are restless spirits. Ammit protects from evil souls."

2 CP for everyone as Thanksgiving break passes us by.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Doubling over slightly, Alex covers her mouth as she hiccups. "I feel kind of funny Hobbs..." Maybe it was the stuff from the cache. Jack probably bought some not-so-great supplies. Not like the probably knows anything about survival stuff. The slight ringing was a worry, though she did suspect it might be an after effect from what she had done earlier. "It's food poisoning, I think?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"Alex," Hobbs says, he keeps his eyes on the road while sneaking glances at her. "Got some blue in your hair. I think there's something more going on then some bad food. Something weird is going on. This isn't food poisoning. Something else is going on."

He grips the wheel tighter, trying to keep the car going straight. A part of him wanted to pull over, but he knew that would be bad. Just a little longer and they'd be there. They could figure out what was going on.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

He stiffens in response to the others suddenly being on their guard- hell and that struck a nerve where other things hadn't. "That's the building at the mouth of the main entrance. As for guided... the full show and tell will have to wait until after, but I had recurring dreams leading me to a specific place at a specific time, and at that place and time were many of the others." A shrug. "Of course, clowns chased me the last way to them, so maybe I was being guided to someone else in the same town. Hard to say."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

As often as she's seen it happen, this odd mingling of spirit and flesh -- hell, within herself much less in others -- its still enough to inspire a bit of almost childlike delight when the proverbial reindeer is proven to actually have a red nose and be able to fly. Or in this case the jackal-headed woman is actually just that. No tricks, no seams, no cunning fx costume, Bahiti merely is who she is, what she is, and what she is is cool.

The ears get an almost obsessive trial rub between sensitive fingers as she marvels at the warmth, the sight of faint veins beneath the skin, the realness of it all as she takes an almost motherly pride in the physicality of the spirit made flesh. That bringing over combined with what she's just performed on her legs triggers that possessiveness, that sense of ownership, of territoriality that is at once alarming and exhilarating. Bahiti is hers, as much as Martin is hers, as Spot is hers, as Sophia is hers, as Kumar is hers. All in different ways, but she knows them all. Knows: it feels like the word should be capitalized; there's a significance there. Maybe its another word with a double meaning, one they haven't discovered yet, like neighbor, lovely, flavor.

She discovers her arm has moved around Bahiti's waist, hugging her close as a child might a beloved stuffed animal, viewing the world from over her shoulder as she speaks of devouring and soul protecting. Vague memories of wall paintings, a crocodile-headed thing lurking beneath a scale as Anubis weighs a heart against a feather. From where? Grade school? Bullfinch's Mythology? (and what wouldn't she give for a copy of that beloved childhood tome at the moment) One of those weird not-memories that seem to be percolating up lately from God knows where? At least one god probably does, come to think of it.

She sighs, releasing the woman and settling back against the seat, hand caressing the hilt of her sword. Ingridr. Let's hope the sword was half as good in battle as the valkyrie whose name it now carried. And had a better fate in store. She winces involuntarily, unwelcome memories popping back up to say hello in all their gory glory. Shaking them off with a toss of her head, she murmurs, "I guess that would be the one. Does your aunt have the power to um... call on this Ammit?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

"Blue? In my hair?" Slightly alarmed, Alex runs a hand through her hair. poo poo, maybe it was some sort of time delay thing. Or maybe something was strange about the town. Turning more white than blue, she hunches over, letting whatever was happening take it's course. Well you wanted to see if you could do this while awake, here's your chance.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Bahiti is released, cocking her head slightly but nodding then to Jennifer. "Ammit is at the call of the sacred family--she is one of the final greatest protectors of our home if all others should fail." She frowns briefly at this, watching then as Jennifer runs her fingers along the blade's hilt--reaching then to lightly graze the leather wrappings with her own fingertips. "You have a bond with your weapon, yes?" She forms a thin smile.

Ahead, Anca brings the SUV to a stop then as the rest of the convoy pulls up to the building--a half circle formed beside the entrance with the humvee now at the lead. Coming to a halt, Luke turns around the edge of his seat--brows raised. "I'll have to hear this when we're done then, ma'am." Beside Greg, Dieter voices a curt grunt--staring at the soldier before looking back to Fiona.

With the convoy stopped, Luke climbs out from his seat and begins approaching the SUVs; Jennifer and Allison can see as Valda steps out to meet him--while in the Shelby Alex continues to feel a mounting dizziness, head swimming. In her hair her fingers found the feel of feathers--and now, Hobbs bears witness as the woman seems to grow thinner, shorter, smaller; Alex's clothes hang loose, draping as that tingling rush seems to accelerate--a flood of adrenaline pumping strong.

Hobbs watches the woman as she blurs--blue and white hues blossoming from amidst garments and earth-tones. Alex however experiences a wild itching tingle, skin loosening and then tightening in wracking spasms as bones creak and realign--tissue compressing and clenching around them. Flesh and hair recede in alternating spurts, withdrawing in favor of replacement by the plumage of a far smaller form; an ache enters Alex's jaw, growing rapidly more pronounced as gums shift.

At once it feels as though Alex's jaws have locked utterly--before the sensation of a fusing pressure heightens further to accommodate the emergence of a beak. Innards gurgle and twist, knotting and squeezing as remaining tissue seizes and cramps nigh relentlessly; Alex feels a spell of vertigo as she drops, center of balance lilting wildly--further shifting and changing quickening further still while the dashboard seems to draw further and further away until at last the shroud of her shirt obscures it entirely.

The most noticeable, poignant sensation which Hobbs too shares is the rush of utter heat that floods the interior of the car--as though the excess of 'Alex' had been burned off or evaporated away. Dizziness borders on delirium for the woman as the last dregs of change flit across her features; when that disorientation finally ends, Alex finds her perspective far different--buried beneath the weight of her clothes, body changed.

Alex has changed into a rather abnormally large blue jay

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Dizziness and discomfort threaten to overwhelm her as changes take place. It was slightly thrilling too, and a small feeling to triumph manages to sneak into her thoughts. I did it! But the instinct and sensations of this body were still new to her, especially in waking moments. Muffled squawks sound from under the pile of clothing, as Alex flaps her wings and thrashes about in an attempt to get free. It induced a bit of panic in her, open spaces were far better than this. Crowded, crowded. Her outfit hadn't felt heavy before, but it was positively oppressive now. Her mate would help. A few shrill caws ring out from underneath the clothes. Hobbs?

Dislikes small spaces

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She laughs, a short, sharp bark of surprise. Oh good. Rick really did piss off the wrong person. Deity? The laughter dies on her lips though as the evidence suddenly clicks into place. Had... what did Bahiti call her? Sekhmet? Had she deliberately set Rick up, by giving him that ring? She seemed to have a hate on for the valkyrie, that was for sure. And that wasn't her first ring... Did she know, then? When it was filled, or activated or..? And then picked a fight just so she could take it back, add it to her collection? Something to think about. Beware strangers bearing gifts...

She straightens in her seat, looking at the weapon hesitantly at Bahiti's question. Did she? Was she? "I'm... I think so?" She glances at Bahiti uncertainly. "How would I know? I mean I didn't even know to give it a name." She corrects herself after a moment. "Her. I guess its a her now."

As the SUV stops, her attention is drawn outside. There's Luke, there's Valda. Talking... about what? She should probably go see. "Stay here a minute, Bahiti," she murmurs, slipping into the front passenger seat before exiting. No need to show their hand prematurely. Plus she wanted time to savor the stunned looks. Or note the lack thereof. Either reaction would tell her a lot, she supposes as she approaches, slinging the sword onto her back.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

‘Being patient’ begins to get harder and harder as they approach their destination. Allison liked to think she was past this, getting excited and nervous. But as Anca brings the car to a rest and the vehicle lurches forward, Allison’s stomach rises a little. She swallows, and excitement travels down her throat, over her shoulders, through her arms and along her fingertips. Somehow, in spite of the long stretches of complete fatigue and exhaustion, her body can still be excited. It’s surprising for her, too.

The feeling mingles with something that has a sharper edge, and more aggressive bent. Something that gives her pause, if only for a second. As Jennifer places a hand on her door handle, Allison’s boots hit the ground with a satisfying grinding of rock. She looks up at the sky for a second then shakes her hair out of her face before looking back down to the burden cradled in her arms. Hugin. “Ready? It’s time.”

She paces around the SUV idly, kicking dirt until she’s on the other side from the Humvee, out of sight from prying eyes, then draws in a breath. Fiona is here. A mixed flush of danger and curiosity crosses her thoughts. Thoughts back to their last meeting. Fair enough then. Even if they found nothing in the mountain waiting for them, this would be no doubt interesting.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.
Jack

He feels the tension in Phoebe and suddenly seems to grasp that a real fight looms before them. The twinge of a gut wound now healed flares with his own anxiety. Why would the universe bring him Phoebe just to tear them apart again? Jack realizes he's been flying too high, too wrapped up in his own good fortune. Even with the supposedly easy assignment he's been given, it's time to show some worth.

"Thanks, Phoeb," he says through a grim smile, "I'll be glad to have you where I can keep you safe." His arm snakes around her waist and he presses against her just a little more.

How am I going to do that, exactly? Time to get my loving gun back, that's how. Maybe work on Hobbs, he seems like the practical type.

The vehicle slows and the entrance, barely glimpsed in last night's exodus, comes into view. And so do a few uncomfortably familiar figures outside a Humvee. Greg wasn't kidding about reconnecting with Vic and his people. Jack still doesn't know whether he can trust them, but his fate is now entirely tied to the success of Jennifer's crew. There's no use doing anything other than sucking up the embarrassment and playing along. He stays in the SUV and gives Phoebe a comforting squeeze. They watch and wait together.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

Quietly, as the car draws to a halt the man comments, "I was wondering it'd take to throw some of you guys off your step. Good to know- and if you like that, you'll love the full story on me and some of the others." Once the soldier between him and the door is out, he swings himself out behind him- and once back in the open air, begins catching on the stretches while looking up the mountain, getting ready for the climb ahead in his own mind. Catching Valda's eye, he jogs up towards her and Luke noting that Jennifer has the same idea. Couldn't hurt to reiterate the sign/countersign one more time to people from both groups and get last second planning done.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 30, 2009

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

Splitting his attention between Alex and stopping, he pulls up as he feels the flash of heat. Just before he noticed her blurring, which gave him a chance to prepare himself for the possibility of something happening. He didn't know what was happening. The past had taught him to be ready for the unexpected. The flash hit him, and he braked the car slowly. Opening up his eyes, he glanced over at the lump in the clothes. Hobbs brought the car to a halt behind the other vehicles and quickly parked the car.

Underneath the clothes he heard a sound. A muffled squawk or something. Then the lump started moving. He reached over and started moving the clothes. He reached in to create a hole. After the dream, he had a feeling of what to find. The real concern was why it happened. He continued to dig. He put his hands through the neck holes of the shirt. His hands didn't grab, but instead just opened up a passage for the lump in the clothes.

"You in there Alex?" He asked without thinking he'd receive an answer. At least not a human answer. Maybe a caw or a squawk. "Don't know what happened. Maybe no one here will know."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Squirming underneath the shirt, Alex manages to extricate herself from the clothing with a chirp.Hopping on top of the pile of clothes, she glances over at Hobbs, and gives a nod and a quick warble. I'm still me. I think. Adjusting her head to take into account the new position of her eyes, she experimentally spreads her wings a few times. Even though she was awake, the change still had a dream like quality to it. Hopping over to Hobbs, she tugs on his sleeve with her beak, trying to reassure him. The beak was something she needed to get used to as well. More surprises for poor Hobbs. Well if we could get a handle on the other things, we can figure this out.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

After she pops out, Hobbs lets her get accustomed to her new body. When she tugs on his sleeve, he lets her know that he wasn't too worried.

"I can't understand ya, but I know you're Alex. Not sure what's going on, but I know you changed. Don't know what caused it."

He looked down at his now feathery girlfriend. The abrupt change surprised him, but at least she didn't try to attack him. There were much worse alternatives then for Alex turning into a bird.

"Want to get out? Gonna have to let the uh, cat out of the bag soon."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

Nodding her head again, Alex hops onto Hobb's arm, and climbs up to a shoulder perch. Tapping on the window once, she stops to stare at her new form for a few long seconds. Well, he's right, let's get this over with. At least it won't scare Karen like Greg did. At least I hope it won't. I am a pretty big bird. A stray recollection of the redcaps sends a small shudder though her body, and feathers bristle a bit. No, I won't be afraid of them. Fenrir has probably eaten more than all of them combined. Nothing in the mountain can be that scary. Cheeping once, she settles down on Hobb's shoulder. At least I can be a good scout for the climbers like this.

NoControl fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 1, 2009

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

An old Disney movie briefly comes to mind, but Hobbs dismisses it. With Alex firmly perched on his shoulder, he opens up the car. He ducks down, making sure Alex doesn't fall off or gets hit by the car. Maneuvering out of the car, he stands up and looks over at the others.

"Well here we go. Guess they won't have to worry about you climbing up the mountain, eh? Yeah, you can just fly up now. Maybe you can keep yourself out of danger too."

Hobbs begins to walk over to the others standing around.

"Been a, uh change." Hobbs announces.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

Any thoughts he had to talking to Luke and Valda disappear like a snow cone in Baghdad when he hears the ever so slight tremor in Hobbs' voice- turning almost on a dime, he jogs over to the man, tensing up in worry. "What's up?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

From her post on Hobb's shoulder, Alex shifts her footing and chirps at Greg. The lingering feeling of dizziness was only enhanced by nervousness, and uneasiness at being in a strange place. Well at least it's Greg. Of all the people here, he was the least likely to freak out.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

He takes in the bluebird quickly before looking back at Hobbs, confusion still written on his face. For about one second. And then memory reaches up and slaps him on the cheek and he turns back towards... Alex... with eyebrows high. "You got it to work while awake? That's... great news! How?" That last is a matter of interest to him- after all, he'd only ever managed with Inari giving copious help. Well, looks like she won't need your help or a massage, Inari... good talent, that. There's a twinge- just a twinge- of irritation that this had happened right before an operation where they might need every possible shooter, but he crams it down harshly back where it came from. He was in no position and had no desire to tell other people they couldn't chase becoming who they really were because it wasn't a convenient time.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
A quiet tone as the door is opened, dome light lit above; Jennifer steps down from her seat, and a glance back finds Bahiti just beyond the tinted window then--watching her as she steps away. Again the tone sounds as Allison disembarks, finding the muggy rush of heat leaving her skin feeling dry--while hearkening a reminder of parched throats for both the actress and others in kind as they emerge. From Allison's shoulder the Raven observes, silvered eyes following the freki as she meets with her counterparts; within, the actress feels a faint shift and stir--an uncomfortably gurgle sounding audibly in her gut. Hungry.

"--taking the side up there, and pushing the ascent at that outcrop. Up there," Valda points, Luke's gaze following along "is where the ledge begins. We'll relay when we're in position, and see to storming both entrances in tandem." Luke nods, offering a wan smile to Jennifer as she arrives; the man tugs almost absently at a stap around his right bicep, a brief glint of silver on his person catching the trio's eyes. "I'd like to keep extra firepower with the civilians, ma'am; if we flush anything out, the last thing I want is it running into flimsy resistance."

Luke goes quiet then as Greg steps away--eyes following the svelte soldier as she meets with Hobbs and the bird; nodding towards them, he pushes rose shades up and levels a look at Jennifer. "Air support?" Valda pinches the bridge of her nose and shakes her head, looking then to Jennifer. "We want to get this done while there's still daylight." A look to Luke. "I'll give you directions past the underground entrance; first order of business is locking down the containment wing. If both ends make solid progress, we can meet and push down to the tram together afterward."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Greg

"Never hurts to have eyes in the sky, especially if they bring their own wings and don't need to drink gas like it's going out of style!" He calls back to the new soldiers, unable to resist a bit of a twit at their expense. He shifts his rifle back to his other shoulder, restlessly- they were burning daylight out here, after all. Keeping his voice down, he adds, "Alex, you and Hugin are going to cover us from the air at least until we get in. I don't figure he'll have any problem telling if you spot something he doesn't. Apart from that..." he shrugs. "Enjoy flying."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Alex

The blue jay bobs her head. Flying would be nice, even if she was looking out for nasty things. Like the people in town, or those dogs. What else have we seen? Vulture men? Giant bugs? I wouldn't mind showing Xi one of those. If it was dead first. I can stick with Hobbs, an be useful. Feathered crest flaring, Alex peers over at Luke. Hope he's good people. Would be nice to have more of them. Better watch any that are staying behind though. She hunches in on herself a little upon catching sight of Valda's face. Hope Jennifer isn't mad at me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She wonders vaguely where Vic is as she nods to Luke, listening intently to Valda's plan of attack and nodding in acknowledgment as the details are gone over, and again to Luke's suggestion they arm the civilians best. She moistens her lips, wondering if the water inside is still good without Frost's presence, if it was being fed from elsewhere or was an inner reserve. Did it revert if she wasn't there? What about Phoebe? Something to test once they were inside.

Luke's comment gets a confused glance as she looks in the direction he's motioning, and her eyebrows raise in tandem as she sees just what is riding Hobbs' shoulder. "Holy poo poo," she blurts in surprise, eyes wide. "Alex?"

Her attention goes back to Valda as she mentions daylight's fading, adjusting the strap to her sword over one shoulder. "Yeah... yeah." She looks at Luke curiously. "Where's Vic?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Allison

She folds her arms, listening to Luke and Valda as best she can, settling into the planning comfortably. Assuming her role. Trying to ignore her stomach for the moment. Ah. That’s it. The edge she’d felt that sharpened her overstressed mind and body, and pushed it further. It makes her think of Cassius, and his lean and hungry look. She fit that bill at least. A bit late, she follows Luke’s attention to the blue bird and wrinkles her nose. Confusion crosses her mind for an instant before she figures out what has happened, but Allison never lets it show. Instead, she just laughs a little at the mention of air support. A sour note could be detected at Greg's assumption about Hugin's role, but only if one is a careful observer.

The sun combined with Luke’s own glasses makes her wish she hadn’t lost those cheap shades from the Walgreens. A confident, firm smile fixed on her lips, fueled maybe a little too much by anticipation and that edge in her gut, she takes a step to side further with Luke, “I’ll be going the low road with your team, in case communications are cut. And they always are.” Every time things crossed over, all the radios shorted out, so they should be treated as dodgy at best. “If that’s alright with your people, of course.”

Tilting her head in curiosity at Jennifer's question, her eyes flit back to the humvee, then Luke, searching for an answer. Inwardly, she scolds herself for not noticing sooner.