Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oh god she hungers for flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

More Harriet Photos

Isn't she cute just sitting there? She's plotting something.

Fun fact, ahe water on the carpet is there because she headbutted the bowl as I was putting it down. She got soaked too.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
NIC cages are on sale on Amazon (at least they were yesterday) so I ordered a couple to finally give my bun a real home. What do those of you who use them use for the bottom of your cages? Like the flooring?

I hadn't really planned this out, but the price was the lowest I had seen, so I wanted to snag a few while I could afford them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

monsieur fatso posted:

Now she's up on the couch sitting next to me eating breakfast and looking rather pleased. I also gave her a good brushing just now.

Bunny scares are the worst. Glad Chom is doing okay!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

monsieur fatso posted:

NIC cages are on sale on Amazon (at least they were yesterday) so I ordered a couple to finally give my bun a real home. What do those of you who use them use for the bottom of your cages? Like the flooring?

I hadn't really planned this out, but the price was the lowest I had seen, so I wanted to snag a few while I could afford them.

I would try to have carpet or blankets in there but never bothered with any kind of actual flooring - especially if your bunny uses the litter box somewhat regularly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
bunny butt

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cilantro thinks 4 AM feedings are a drag too.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Oh Lily :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
that was such a confusing photo until I figured out there was a cone.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Someone's a sleepy bunners. Just chilling next to me on the couch.

edit: That cube in front of her is just compressed timothy hay. I've had her for almost a year and I've tried everything to get her to eat hay, including not feeding her anything else, but nothing worked. The vet recommended those, thinking that she enjoys the pellets because they're hard. Well, I finally gave the hay cubes a try, and she seems to like them. I'm hoping the taste/smell of the compressed hay will get her to finally start eating real hay.

Also, while typing out this edit, she hopped on my stomach, stared and the screen for a little bit, turned around and stared at me like she knew I was talking about her, and then she hopped onto the end table and pulled my notebook off the table and started eating my budget notes. ughhhhhhhhh

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 13, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bunnies know, man. Bunnies know.

They're also little furry assholes.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I'm starting to wish I hadn't just bought a brand new leather sofa.

Also spent half an hour or so laying in Juppo's run at my parents' house the other day (she's still there while we work on my new place; there's a two foot deep pool of ground water under the stairs she'd be inexplicably drawn to) and I didn't get barked at or clawed or attacked in any way. Got nudged a bit, but then she settled for sunbathing on my back and head :3: I've missed her so much I can't wait to get her back, though my Dad has declared he's formally adopted her, the big softie. Going to see what I can do about getting hooks at the top of the walls in the yard and having a 'netting ceiling' across my back yard so she can frolic outside on nice days without being carried off by birds or eaten by foxes. Or eat the foxes.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 14, 2014

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

happyflurple posted:

Or eat the foxes.

Zen would try to get into fights with dogs 10x her size. I wasn't sure she wouldn't actually take them -- the dogs were usually more confused than anything else.

I had to explicitly herd her away from squirrels because I'm pretty sure she would try to eat the squirrels. At the very least eviscerate them and leave their heads as warnings.

Even part dwarf bunnies are insane.

I miss her. :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, my Mom has decided to make a custom bunny fence out of chicken wire, so that Harriet can frolic in her garden and not escape.

I think that Harriet will easily figure out how to escape. Possibly involving bouncing a baseball against a concrete wall.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

I see all of your bunnies totally chill, and read stories about how obviously comfortable they are with you all. I got my bun when he was about 8 months old and never /really/ handled. Could this be a factor as to why mine won't really come near me unless I have food for him? He's gotten a ton better since I've had him, but is the total relaxed attitude just something that comes with time? I'm not so much concerned with him not liking to be picked up - I would hate someone grabbing me and lifting me four feet into the air rather annoying as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

I see all of your bunnies totally chill, and read stories about how obviously comfortable they are with you all. I got my bun when he was about 8 months old and never /really/ handled. Could this be a factor as to why mine won't really come near me unless I have food for him? He's gotten a ton better since I've had him, but is the total relaxed attitude just something that comes with time? I'm not so much concerned with him not liking to be picked up - I would hate someone grabbing me and lifting me four feet into the air rather annoying as well.

Well, I don't know about the getting better with age part, but I can say you're also probably seeing the everyone's rabbits at their best. That is, sure I can trance one of my flemmies, but most of the time she can tell I'm going to pick her up and she runs under something (foot flicking the whole way).

I've heard stories of house buns not letting their owner touch them without running away for months. Do you spend much time just hanging out rather calmly near your rabbit? When I'm surfing the web or reading a book with them is when they'll come and carefully put a few paws on my back and scope me out. If I'm being active, they mostly ignore me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you spend much time just hanging out rather calmly near your rabbit? When I'm surfing the web or reading a book with them is when they'll come and carefully put a few paws on my back and scope me out. If I'm being active, they mostly ignore me.

Seconded. Ella really only wants to come over to me if i'm just chilling out or trying to eat. Just spend time in their vicinity, maybe with treats. Ella was also adopted at about 9 months with very little socialization, but she's turned out pretty well. No snuggling, but she'll pop over to you to check what's going on and if you have snacks. She won't hesitate to get mad at you though. Sometimes when she's annoyed, she just hops up next to you, thumps, and stares at you like "How are you going to fix this, human?"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Chloroform

Or, just spend some floor time with your bunny. Literally lay on the floor and read a book, do a crossword puzzle, etc and let your bunny hop around for a while. Keep doing this and your bunny will warm up to you.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I had one of my coworkers come over today because she's going to be checking in on the bun while I go home for Easter for a day. She only lives a block away and grew up with a rabbit. She was surprised how cat-like Chompsky is. Chompsky is constantly jumping up on the couch, then up on to the back of the couch and running along the back, jumping down, jumping over to the next couch, climbing over that and jumping off the back, and then running up and down the stairs.

She also thought it was hilarious that the first thing she does when I let Chompsky out of her cage is run to the couch and jump on it and sit there staring at me. I always place her food dish on the couch next to me and have her sit next to me when she eats, so that's always the first place she goes when I let her out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah my rabbit actually hates me, she only lets us pet her in the dark when she can't see us, she also bites the poo poo out of me if I pet her for too long,

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bunnies are assholes. When people post in this thread about their bunnies being all sweet and affectionate it's because they're as surprised about it as everyone else.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

grack posted:

Bunnies are assholes. When people post in this thread about their bunnies being all sweet and affectionate it's because they're as surprised about it as everyone else.

Guys the rabbit just sat on my lap for five minutes and DIDN'T PEE ON ME AT ALL. Tell the internet!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

grack posted:

Chloroform.

Or just spend some floor time with your bunny. Literally lay on the floor and read a book, do a crossword puzzle, etc and let your bunny hop around for a while. Keep doing this and your bunny will warm up to you.

This.

When we first got Cilantro, she wouldn't let us pet her at all BUT we had her spayed and my wife abused Cilantro's anesthetized state to pet her. Over time, she started laying on the floor with "treats" (pellets) to entice Cilantro to come over for pets and it worked. Now either of us has a 75% chance of grooming Cilantro when we lay on the floor of her room.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm working on building a new cage for my bun. I put her in it, and she seemed confused, panicked at first, but then opened it so she could get out. She kept sniffing around it and going in and out. I've stopped working on it for the time being, but she keeps going upstairs to it to check it out, then comes running back down the stairs and when she gets to the bottom she binkies like she just got into some angel dust or something.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

When we first got Cilantro, she wouldn't let us pet her at all BUT we had her spayed and my wife abused Cilantro's anesthetized state to pet her. Over time, she started laying on the floor with "treats" (pellets) to entice Cilantro to come over for pets and it worked. Now either of us has a 75% chance of grooming Cilantro when we lay on the floor of her room.

After our rabbit has to be anaesthetised, he became much more interested in rubs and company, but he also seemed to become noticeably.. soppy. However "anaesthetise your angry rabbit to make him your BFF" is probably not good advice.

Ours also became our best bud when we moved into an old, drafty house, and the room we were usually in (which was not where his cage was) was warm, and had a radiator. You'd often look around from watching TV to see this:

"Freeze your angry rabbit into being your BFF" is also poor advice, I suppose..

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Post yo Easter bunnies!

edit: gently caress phone posting I am so sorry about that.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 21, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Post yo Easter bunnies!

timg please

Cute, but gigantic photos

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Thanks for the replies :). He doesn't seem terrified by any means, he does come over to me while I'm gaming and I let him run around, usually for a quick scritch on the head then he hops off again. I'm just new to bunny behavior, I actually really enjoy their quirky-ness and how they don't /constantly/ need physical pats and whatnot. Is pineapple too acidic for buns? I only give his fruit once a day, and strictly in a treat amount, but we have a bunch of it for Easter and I've never given him any before.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
The cat got locked in the rabbit room. The rabbits are completely fine and happy, the cat looks traumatized.

I just raked the rabbit room with an actual rake. Easily the best solution I've ever found for the problem of hay clogging vacuums.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Heard a rustle of tin foil and turned just in time to see our bun snatch this off the table and immediately crack it open and start going to town.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Welp, a coworker's mom found a rabbit today outside in her yard that was clearly not a wild rabbit and texted my coworker about it. She asked me what to do with one, and I said I would take it. It's going to be here in a little bit. It's apparently really friendly, I'm just hoping Chompsky gets along with it. I went out and bought another small cage that I will probably keep it in temporarily until I can get the two to bond, or have to take the new one to a rabbit shelter/humane society. Is it best to keep the cages close to one another while I'm gone? Should I switch the cages they're kept in each day/night so they get used to each other's scent?

I had been planning on getting a second bunny to bond with Chompsky, so I've read up a little about it, plus I've read stuff in this thread. I just didn't plan on it happening so abruptly, but I guess that's how I got my Chompsky, and she's worked out wonderfully.

edit: I just got a picture with my friend holding it, it's huge!

Pictures to follow soon I'm sure.

double edit: now my coworkers want to keep it. :(

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 23, 2014

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Welp, a coworker's mom found a rabbit today outside in her yard that was clearly not a wild rabbit and texted my coworker about it. She asked me what to do with one, and I said I would take it. It's going to be here in a little bit. It's apparently really friendly, I'm just hoping Chompsky gets along with it. I went out and bought another small cage that I will probably keep it in temporarily until I can get the two to bond, or have to take the new one to a rabbit shelter/humane society. Is it best to keep the cages close to one another while I'm gone? Should I switch the cages they're kept in each day/night so they get used to each other's scent?

This might be irrelevant now for your situation, but as far as letting bunnies be cage/pen neighbors, always make sure there is no way for a curious bunny nose to get too close to the other.

We were at our local rescue a couple of months ago and had a nasty little accident happen along these lines. During the commotion of meeting all the bunnies one of the dividers between two pens barely slid out of place and it led to one nosy little bunny sticking her nose into the others pen and one nip later it was time for a trip to the vet for some stitches.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Yeah, they aren't close enough for that to be a problem. I didn't anticipate this new rabbit being so large. She's at least twice to 2.5 times the size of Chompsky. I'm having a hell of a time trying to pick her up and get her in the new cage.

fake edit: it took me over half an hour. christ. I feel bad because she's obviously scared right now. She was a lot more chill when she first came over, but being around a new rabbit which is acting territorial probably didn't help matters much.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also, don't switch cages. Bad idea. Cages are safe zones for a bunny and they need to have access to their own.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

grack posted:

Try to put something in to the corners so the bunny can't back in and pee on the carpet.

Or destroy your carpet, as mine has found delight in doing.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm so glad Chompsky has chilled out a lot since I got her, and I feel like she really trusts me now.

Not the best picture, I didn't want to get up to open the blinds or turn a light on because she would probably move, but I really like that she'll come up to me and just lay down. :3:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

So every morning at 06:55 Charlie jumps up on the bed, clambers over my legs then realises I'm under the covers so jumps (Oh god a bunny jumping from you is so much more violent than one landing on you) across to my partner and just walks literally onto her face with his tickly bunny whiskers.

At 06:55 *every* day. Now I wake up and check my watch because it's honestly loving amazing. If we ignore him he'll leave, then come back in ~20-25 minutes like some fluffy Snooze button, it's pretty ridiculous.

I know we probably have a neighbour (We live in an apartment) who has some alarm or something that he's associated with coming and waking us up but I'd like to think he just has an insane internal clock.

tentril
May 9, 2012
Animals have pretty good internal clocks it seems. I feed Baozi her dinner at 8 every night, and she goes to her food dish and waits maybe ten minutes before.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

That's impressive! Maybe he does just have a really well tuned sense of timing. His latest trick when caught chewing stuff is to freeze, lock eyes with us, stop chewing and start licking it. Just pretending he was doing that all along. Then after 10 seconds or so just nonchalantly slink away. Except he's the least smooth criminal ever and has the guiltiest little face. You can always tell if he's been up to something as you get home and rather than run up to you he's just sitting in a corner looking guilty as gently caress (And you've got no internet connection/your phone isn't charging/your shirt you left on the floor has been chewed right through)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Just got caught up on the thread. So much :3:

This is from a few pages back, but I had to make something

Operation Juicebox posted:

And here is a slow motion video of George binkying up and down the corridor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6PwHXHDbcc