Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I think my bun has a respiratory tract infection. This has happened a few times, where I wake up and she has snot running down her face and is having trouble breathing. It happened maybe a year ago, and once again a few months ago. After I kind of wiped her face and kind of comforted her, it just sort of went away and she acted like it never happened. Then today it has happened twice. I'm calling the vet first thing tomorrow to see if I can get her in. I took a video of it so I could show the vet too, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever experienced something like this.

It's not the best video, but you can see she's looking pretty rough in it.
http://youtu.be/Vx3BHji3h24

She seems fine now, just chilling in her favorite spot by the vacuum. She looks kind of tired, though, but I have seen her eating today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

It's not the best video, but you can see she's looking pretty rough in it.
http://youtu.be/Vx3BHji3h24

Jayzus thats a snotty bunny. Its clear though, so its mobile snot, not yellow grossness thats been sitting awhile. Kinda looks like me right now. Whatever it is, let us know what the vet says. Is she drinking?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Windy posted:

They chew up the the cardboard and then pull all the hay out.

Yeah, I do the cardboard thing and my bunny just pulls as much out as he can and eats ~5%.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Karandras posted:

Yeah, I do the cardboard thing and my bunny just pulls as much out as he can and eats ~5%.

That's because rabbits are concentrated assholes.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Suspect Bucket posted:

Jayzus thats a snotty bunny. Its clear though, so its mobile snot, not yellow grossness thats been sitting awhile. Kinda looks like me right now. Whatever it is, let us know what the vet says. Is she drinking?

Vet thought it was an upper respiratory tract infection. They gave me some metacam and baytril to give to her. I can tell she's already feeling better. The last few days she was pretty lazy and uninterested in most things. She would pick at her food, but not eat a whole lot of it, so I syringe fed her some critical care a few times yesterday. She seems a lot better now. It almost seems like she wants me to give her medicine, when I got up this morning she kept following me around, begging almost.

Also, she woke me up last night by jumping on my chest, little jerk...

Another thing, the vet recommended I take her into the bathroom with me when I shower so that she can breath the humid air. I feel like a total perv doing that. Also, the first time I did it she kept running and hiding behind the toilet. Damnit bunners, anywhere but there.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 12, 2014

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best part of owning bunnies is thinking that at any given time I could be holding and petting a bunny, and then doing so.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
You certain that happens?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

RacistGuidingLight posted:

The best part of owning bunnies is thinking that at any given time I could be holding and petting a bunny, and then doing so.

Your buns are obviously broken. Letting The Human Snuggle is a sacred and magical thing bestowed on a family member but once a day, for two minutes.

It has finally gotten cold here, and Ella is not happy. She refused to leave the house for most of the day (she spends most of her time on our screen room). I honestly thought she was sick or something, except she'd ocassionally mosey out of her crate to boink around rather enthusiastically, bother the cats, and nibble citrus peels. She just hates the chill now, it seems. Which is odd because short of bringing her in on freeze warning nights, she's thrived quite happily and well out there through two other winters.

She's probably just being slow to adjust. A very florida bunny.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

RacistGuidingLight posted:

You must have a very tranquil bunny. Mine reacts violently to any attempts to pick her up, and indeed, to any attempts to do anything aside from scratching behind her ears.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

luscious posted:

You certain that happens?

I found that this is something that can and will happen. You even get some cool cuts all over your wrists because if they don't fight you on the way up, they're definitely going to rip your poo poo up on the way down.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So my bunny sneezes all the time but its not sneezing fits, its literally one or two sneezes- and I dont notice any discharge or snot anywhere (in his ears, nose, etc)

Is that normal? It seems like some kind of allergy (i have him outside on my patio right now, and he sneezes once or twice every now and then)

I'm concerned but I don't know if its something that just kinda happens, or if i should book a vet visit for mild sneezing?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I have a sneezy bunny too, the vet classified it as just a seasonal thing. Keeping an eye out for any discharge is the right idea, that's the typical sign of something more serious. It may just be dust (hay or otherwise) or even something else in the bunny's environment that's mildly irritating. Depending on where you live, it may be dry enough to cause that sort of thing this time of year.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
There's nothing nicer after a weekend away to come home to a rabbit who is really, really excited to see you. Someone was taking care of her all weekend, so it can't just be that she was hungry. She danced around and then snuggled up next to me on my bed. I'm shocked.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My lock screen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Who wants furface selfies?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ignore the Jags breaking your heart, human. Give me your citrus.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe I speak for us all when I say I expect pictures of Harriet with a Christmas bow on at some point before the 25th.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
This seems the best place to ask a rabbit related question. About 6 months ago a pet rabbit escaped from one of the neighbours and they gave up on trying to recapture it. It's somehow managed to survive cats, dogs and cars and become a fixture in the neighbourhood. Most days, it hangs out on my front verandah for most of the day. As it was originally from a pet shop, it's immunised against calicivirus. It's fairly tame and comes up to be patted.

Now for the worrying part. I arrived home today to 5 baby rabbits in my yard. They're eating grass and don't seem especially shy of people, but I'm concerned that they're easy prey for predators and at risk of mosquito-borne diseases (we've had a lot of rain here lately and mosquitoes are out in force). I'm tempted to try to catch them and call a wildlife rescue service and would like some opinions on whether that sounds like the best course of action.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't you catch the original bunny when it came up for pets and return it to your neighbor?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why didn't you catch the original bunny when it came up for pets and return it to your neighbor?
You're talking about a group of people who let their rabbit, which they did not spay or neuter, escape 6 months ago, then got tired of trying to rescue it. Would you give it back to them?

Edit: A better question is why don't you adopt the friendly rabbit who clearly prefers you to its original owners?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ever since I changed my buns food, her hair has exploded out like Harriets. She's got long locks her her sides now and wings on her back two feet. It's adorable.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Lolie posted:

This seems the best place to ask a rabbit related question. About 6 months ago a pet rabbit escaped from one of the neighbours and they gave up on trying to recapture it. It's somehow managed to survive cats, dogs and cars and become a fixture in the neighbourhood. Most days, it hangs out on my front verandah for most of the day. As it was originally from a pet shop, it's immunised against calicivirus. It's fairly tame and comes up to be patted.

Now for the worrying part. I arrived home today to 5 baby rabbits in my yard. They're eating grass and don't seem especially shy of people, but I'm concerned that they're easy prey for predators and at risk of mosquito-borne diseases (we've had a lot of rain here lately and mosquitoes are out in force). I'm tempted to try to catch them and call a wildlife rescue service and would like some opinions on whether that sounds like the best course of action.

E: Actually I guess the question would have been where you live. I was trying to figure out how it got pregnant from a wild hare, then I noticed you are in Australia.

The337th fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 16, 2014

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ShadowCatboy posted:

They couldn't catch it and neither could we. It took months before it would come anywhere near people. I doubt I could catch it now. It will let you pat it on the head if it feels like it, but it bolts if you look like touching anything other than its head. I think half the neighbourhood has tried to catch it at some point and failed.

The337th posted:

I was trying to figure out how it got pregnant from a wild hare, then I noticed you are in Australia.

When the bunny first started hanging around back in June, the kids next door loved it so their parents bought them a pet rabbit. One day it was missing from its cage and they assumed one of the neighbourhood cats had got it (they'd been hanging around a lot and it was a baby at the time). Now I think there's a possibility it just escaped and has grown to maturity. The babies don't look like wild rabbits and some of them are the same colour as the bunny which went missing a few months ago.

I don't think I'm the appropriate person to adopt any of these bunnies. The day I first saw the babies I'd just returned from picking up a bull mastiff pup. Although she ignores mumma bunny at the moment, I can't be certain she always will, and even at her current size she's capable of causing harm to the babies if she decides they look like something which would be fun to play with. You no longer require a licence to own a single rabbit in my state, but they are required to be kept in a rabbit proof enclosure. I spend a lot of time away from home - sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time - and a rabbit and its hutch aren't really the ideal pet to travel with.

Mumma bunny has "adopted" a large area of the neighbourhood. She hangs out in different places at different times of the day, and I think the attraction of my front verandah was largely that it's shaded (Australian summer here) and that I had no dogs or cats. We think that babies were in a nest under my next door neighbours' house.

I haven't seen the babies for a few days, so I don't know whether they've gone somewhere else. If they return, I'll contact one of the animal welfare organisations although I know they're overwhelmed at this time of year and I suspect they'll only be able to help if we are able to catch the babies (and dear god are they fast). I don't feel OK about us trying to find homes for them ourselves if we catch them because there would be no guarantee of them being vaccinated (calicivirus is released regularly in Sydney) or desexed (and rabbit desexing here is more expensive than dog desexing).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am thoroughly surprised that the mom has lasted so long. I'm also surprised that this is being tolerated by you or the neighbors at ALL. Call whoever handles wildlife, and tell them you have escapees. They will hopefully come and trap and remove them. This will be fatal, however. If you're really that concerned for the rabbit, go beg or borrow some havahart cage traps, trap the mom for yourself, sniff out and dig up the nest (just follow mom around for a while, she'll probably end up leading you to it after a few hours or so), and contact a rescue.

I might just be spoiled with how invasive wildlife is handled in Florida. When you report and kill a lionfish, for instance, you get a free t-shirt.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Been a while since I've posted, but I've noticed a strange behavior in one of my bunnies and figured I'd ask here, since with Christmas and such its going to be a pain in the rear end to get a Vet appointment.

Just in the last few days, one of my bunnies has started slowly panning her head to the right, starting from straight center to about 30 degrees to her right. She still seems to hop around just fine, no issues with movement, but whenever she does her normal "hey whats going on over there?" looking around, she does a slow pan.

Is she getting head-tilt? :( She is about six-seven years old, so I figured she has been slowing down lately. However, this doesn't seem like part of the "getting old" phase of being a bunny.

Advice?

edit: Note, last time she got seen the Vet thought she was getting cloudy eyes, so I dont think her vision is amazing anymore, but its a repeating movement.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 24, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lobsterboy posted:

Been a while since I've posted, but I've noticed a strange behavior in one of my bunnies and figured I'd ask here, since with Christmas and such its going to be a pain in the rear end to get a Vet appointment.

Just in the last few days, one of my bunnies has started slowly panning her head to the right, starting from straight center to about 30 degrees to her right. She still seems to hop around just fine, no issues with movement, but whenever she does her normal "hey whats going on over there?" looking around, she does a slow pan.

Is she getting head-tilt? :( She is about six-seven years old, so I figured she has been slowing down lately. However, this doesn't seem like part of the "getting old" phase of being a bunny.

Advice?

edit: Note, last time she got seen the Vet thought she was getting cloudy eyes, so I dont think her vision is amazing anymore, but its a repeating movement.
Could be head tilt, could be another neurological problem. Rabbits are pretty prone to them as they get older. Go see a vet once you get the chance. I wouldn't panic if she has no movement issues, just keep observing her until you can get her to the vet.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could be head tilt, could be another neurological problem. Rabbits are pretty prone to them as they get older. Go see a vet once you get the chance. I wouldn't panic if she has no movement issues, just keep observing her until you can get her to the vet.

She seems hesitant to hop around, but nothing serious. I held a treat out and she stretched herself as far as she could before she had to move, but I still see her getting around the pen area without a problem.

And of course the vet closed early today, closed tomorrow, potentially open friday~ My girlfriend knows someone at potentially the best emergency vet for bunnies in ohio (Capital in columbus) so worst case I always got that.

I have noticed that she keeps her ears up ALL THE TIME now, and as a Rex, its very strange. Its what makes me think shes just going blind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lobsterboy posted:

I have noticed that she keeps her ears up ALL THE TIME now, and as a Rex, its very strange. Its what makes me think shes just going blind.
Owls tilt their heads because their offset ears allow them to locate things more accurately by sound, so maybe your rabbit is trying to be an owl.

Sorry if she does have head tilt or some other disorder. My last rabbit lived 9 months comfortably after losing control of his right front paw, but there's not a lot you can do to treat it.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Owls tilt their heads because their offset ears allow them to locate things more accurately by sound, so maybe your rabbit is trying to be an owl.

Sorry if she does have head tilt or some other disorder. My last rabbit lived 9 months comfortably after losing control of his right front paw, but there's not a lot you can do to treat it.

She has spent many many years getting tons of food and sweets and living the high life, soooooo. As long as shes not in pain, I just look at it as part of getting old.

Spoke to a vet tech at an emergency thing, their rabbit vet called in sick (of course), but they said as long as shes eating / drinking / pooping, she should be okay until the next exotic vet comes in. Awesome.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lobsterboy posted:

Advice?

That was what mine started doing before they developed head tilt. If you pick her up and hold her watch her eyes. They will roll horizontally with her head and she will then snap them back. It's called nystagmus. If her head hasn't tilted yet you should be fine if you get her treatment in the next day or two. My last rabbit, Lils, went from nothi but a slight head twitch to full blown torticullus and rolling in 24 hours. So it can come on really quick.

If she has e. Cuniculi then she needs panacur stat, if it's just an ear infection or blockage they can give antibiotics or clean it out.

I hope she is okay!

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Got in to see the Vet, the office down the road from me has two extremely awesome Exotic vets, which is more than almost any other place I've seen.

Gave her Metacam, Panacur, Meclizine, and an antibiotic. And SubQ fluids for when she doesnt feel like drinking enough. BUT, Vet says based on how much the little bunny is eating / drinking, hopping around, etc, shes pretty happy!

And yes Errant, she already sleeps with her head at an angle, so not much to do there. She likes to hop around still, trying to chase me down if I have a treat, but she seems like shes drunk, cant stay in a straight line.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lobsterboy posted:

Got in to see the Vet, the office down the road from me has two extremely awesome Exotic vets, which is more than almost any other place I've seen.

Gave her Metacam, Panacur, Meclizine, and an antibiotic. And SubQ fluids for when she doesnt feel like drinking enough. BUT, Vet says based on how much the little bunny is eating / drinking, hopping around, etc, shes pretty happy!

And yes Errant, she already sleeps with her head at an angle, so not much to do there. She likes to hop around still, trying to chase me down if I have a treat, but she seems like shes drunk, cant stay in a straight line.

That's normal with a tilted head. It may straighten back up over the next few months as she gets over whatever it is.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Why does my rabbit chase a laser pointer dot? You are not a cat, bunny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Why does my rabbit chase a laser pointer dot? You are not a cat, bunny.
Because rabbits love to play like cats. Get your rabbit some cat toys!

Also get some video and post it in this thread.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I thought rabbits couldn't see red.

I just tried the laser pointer with Pepper, she wouldn't go for it. She does however love the crinkle balls the cats got and hated.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet really doesn't like being put to bed in her cage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lobsterboy posted:

How is the bunny? Is she responding to treatment?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How is the bunny? Is she responding to treatment?

She still eats and drinks like a champ, doesn't hop as much as before, and she has a decent tilt in her head. Otherwise, she seems perfectly fine. Still grooms the poo poo out of her bonded pair-mate.

Surviving, at the least!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My rabbit has no problem with me rubbing my nasty stinky feet all over him but I go down to pet him and he scampers like I'm the second coming of hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Volume posted:

My rabbit has no problem with me rubbing my nasty stinky feet all over him but I go down to pet him and he scampers like I'm the second coming of hitler

Hands are scary