Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
okay so recently this picture got taken of Paterson and I want to show it off everywhere since it's the cutest thing ever:

edit to add: as of this morning, Paterson can thump. He's never thumped, as far as I remember, but he's suddenly learned how. So far he's thumped at me out of nowhere four times in the hour I've been awake. I'm hoping that he'll get over the novelty of it and stop soon because it scares the other two.

luscious fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

guys! Paterson has become so much more outgoing in the last little while. He lets me pet him all the time, snuggle with sometimes and then the other day he gave me three kissies!
the bunnies totally like where I'm living right now more than where I did before. So sweet.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my back is killing me! I've been sleeping with the buns in my sister's room since she's not living with us and holy hell. They don't poo or pee in her room on her bed - even though I've been sleeping on it for the last two weeks - no, just in my bed. So now I'm going to step up the littertraining again, I guess. I don't think that a tarp will deter them since I was using a polyurethane bed cover and they didn't mind that, but we'll see how it goes. Really. I'm so pissed about this and heartbroken every time more pee shows up. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

KracKiwi posted:

Pippin!

Goofy looking, blubbery grooming.

Recent photo of my sister holding Pippin.

send help! Your rabbit is being swallowed by her dewlap!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

so Bitsy and I had another scare today. Earlier I saw her (possibly doing something bad) and when I went to pet her she freaked and tried to run away. But her back legs slipped out from behind her and she slid on her belly and then ran into my sister's room and onto the bed. When I followed her I saw that her baby paw was bleeding. Not badly but a somewhat constant light trickle. She wouldn't let me touch her but when I finally caught her (thinking it was something superbad since that's just how I think when it comes down to my darlings getting hurt) I saw that it was just a nail that got broken off. My poor baby. So I had her tranced, got my brother to get me some flour, put it on her nail and then let her go. Now she's okay. She's interested in raisins again and is walking around (though a little bit tenderly on her paw). I know it's okay but it still freaked me the gently caress out.

Deceptor101 posted:

Update! Pictures:

(yeah I like CAD, it wasn't THAT important a limited comic)
Note the water damage from the drool, she was loving it!

oh man. There have been times when Bitsy has been in my roommate's room and has had her pick as far as books to chew goes. She ignored all the books EXCEPT for the library book that my roommate had from the university library. She then went on to chew the only book that was being lent to us by someone else (The Vice Guide to SDRnR). Then she chewed a book that was my dad's that he got 10 years before I was born (though it was already falling apart) but left all my books alone. I don't keep any books in chewing range anymore.
Paterson hasn't chewed anything since we've moved back into my parents house except. Get this. A giant hole in the wall.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

That's awesome. As far as Bitsy's toe goes, Annie actually had a very similar thing happen earlier this summer. If you're doing well on cash, you'll probably want to take her to the vet and maybe get some antibiotics. Although did the nail break like in half or did it break to the skin. I think it's a big difference. Annie's broke to the skin and it took a while to heal, the nail still hasn't grown back fully. (speaking of which i REALLY need to clip hers, but she doesn't trance well). Hope Bitsy is doing well :)

it didn't break into the skin, I don't think. My uncle is a vet but doesn't treat bunnies but I'm sure that he'd be okay to look at her if he had to (how different is a cat nail then a bunny nail, right?). For now she seems okay. I bet it's still smarting since she's being sitting still. But she does that anyway. I'm keeping an eye on her but she's walking on it and isn't licking it excessively. I think she mostly scared herself, more than anything else. She didn't scream or anything so that's good. She didn't even flinch when I put the flour on it so yeah.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

this site has pictures and techniques. My favourite is the bunny burrito. Works every time.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Nope, nothing scares them. It's funny that you mention vaccuuming. Lucy loves the vaccuum. I can't vaccuum with her in the room because she just runs up and shoves her back up against the vaccuum. It's a great (and fast) way to remove loose fur haha. I just can't believe a bunny would let me do that. Jack doesn't even move when I try to vaccuum, he's so lazy. I've tried using loud music, putting them in the car together...nothing works. But, like I said, I think they're making slow progress. They don't growl and "box" anymore at least.

Thanks for the tip though!

I thought that Paterson was deaf and blind for a while because nothing scared him. I think that I started believing that when I had to physically move him out of the way of the vacuum cleaner. It even has a light on it!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okay so here's some pictures of Bitsy (dwarf) and Paterson (lop)

her head is spinning!

she's being so cute with her little model pose.

he's always hiding

sweet boy

here's his real colours.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

Is there something I can spray on the bars of a cage to make my bunny stop chewing on them? I'm worried because I just noticed the white paint on the bars are chewed off in some places.

She has hay, she has a chewing stick, she has food, she has fruit and veggies, but she likes to chew on things she shouldn't. :( I'm mostly afraid she's ingested the paint and it might make her sick.

a game that I play with them is when they start to chew I put my hand against the bars so they can't chew and just move it along with them until they get frustrated and stop.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I wish that the bunnies would come into the room that I'm sleeping in more. These last few days they haven't been but in the past I've woken up to Paterson sitting on my head, Bitsy licking my face like there's no tomorrow and perked ears and two sweet babies running to me whenever they hear me stir. I love having bunnies and I don't care what anyone says. They're the best things in the world :colbert:

also, the best thing that happened to me this week was definitely when I lay down all tired and Bitsy came and lay down back to back with me and let out her little baby sigh

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Amen! Annie woke me up this morning and enjoyed some petting from me. She's sleeping over at Saveabunny right now to bond with this really cute boy named Ben (http://www.saveabunny.com/?q=node/2636) apparently things are going great, she's already grooming him! I really miss her though, my room feels so empty :(

he has such a nice story! Congrats.
Bitsy grooms Paterson a lot but he doesn't seem to understand how to groom her. It's heartbreaking, actually, because she snuggles against his chin so tenderly while he just sits there with his 1000 yard stare (or is it 100 yard stare)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy wants attention right now but I don't know what she wants. What do you guys do to play with your bunnies.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

I take it this is other attention than a vigorous petting of the head area? Other times I'll just playfully chase Annie around the living room, I can tell it's playing because she'll do a happy dance while running away. One thing I've noticed Annie likes (as odd as it is) is she loves to play in my hanging shorts whilst I'm putting them on, so I dunno maybe dangling some large fabric type thing over Bitsy while she dances around in it, kinda like a cat and string. Maybe my bun is just weird though =P

it's weird. She keeps on pushing against me. I lean over to pet her and she looks away and shuns me a bit then goes away. Then a minute later she comes back and if I don't lean over right away she digs at my foot. Paterson comes over next and headbutts me. But he's a fraidy puss and doesn't even really let me pet him. I was trying to play with her yesterday by rubbing her nose with a piece of a book that she ripped apart to play tug of war. She would eat a bit of the page and I would pull it away. Then she got really annoyed and shook her head like a monster.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Rrail posted:

a) With the cube cage, how do you get the waste out? Her current ones have slide out trays, which work great. Makes for very easy cleaning.(Edit: Oh, it looks like there's a litter box in one of the cages. This rabbit is about 4 years old now, is it too late to litter box train it? It likes to play in the cats litter box when it's in the house.)

does the cage have a wire bottom? Rabbits don't have any protection on their feet to keep them from getting sore hawks. They shouldn't be kept in a cage that has a wire bottom unless they have more room to sit / stand on something that's not wire than they do the wire.

making Bitsy and Paterson a cage was a lot of fun. Now they're pretty much 100% freerun so the cage is just symbolic for Bitsy, as she really likes to sit in it when she gets freaked out / wants to be protected. In fact, she's protected right now. Maybe she wants to be a goon :paranoid:

quote:

I had two foster boys that cost $90/each, I think they said a spay was $120.

lucky. I spent so much on Bitsy at the vet because of a mistake that THEY made. They ended up giving me 150$ in vet bills for free but her spay was probably about 350$. Paterson's neuter was about 230$ but I opted to have them have some kind of emergency IV just in case because I'm a crazy mama.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

jesus. Bitsy and Paterson went into my purse, took out the form I needed that would let me be able to get an x-ray on my foot and loving ate it! IT WAS IN MY PURSE! WHAT THE gently caress! They absolutely left alone everything else I needed but noooo they don't want me to get the glass out of my foot. Thanks guys.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Yeah, no matter how lazy a dog is, instincts are instincts. It would be a risky situation. The only way I would maybe consider it is if the rabbit had it's own rabbit-proof room that the greyhound would never be allowed in.

I have 4 cats living with me and even though none of them are actual hunters (they just sit and look at the bunnies if they even care...) the fact that they are there scares the bunnies. I've had to tell my mom that I don't care if she doesn't want to eat the bunnies, Tigger the cat isn't allowed in there because rabbits can die of stress and they're inherently afraid of her.

remember that rabbits are prey animals and think like prey animals. Cats and dogs are predatory animals so they're okay living in proximity of each other. Rabbits, in my experience, not so much.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Moosephant posted:

Holy poo poo!
I just finished reading all 12 pages, started last night. Everyone has beautiful bunnies! I especially like Annie and Ben's story of love. Has anyone heard an update on Pickle?

Pickles the hamster?

I had to move out of that house but we (me and my ex-roommates) made the decision to leave him there because he was so used to that life and I wanted him to keep living the free life - something that would likely not happen any house but that one. They haven't been seeing a lot of him recently and my best friend thinks that he's dead. I still think that the little guy is kicking around and cleaning up under the stoves. Either way, I am happy with the life that he led, as I'm sure he is as well.

also, a while ago I took a look and no giant balls. Even though I call Pickles he, he's really a she.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Queen of Roses posted:

You know, I always wanted to do this right here. That WOULD be my next step, but we've had a major turnaround. Get this:

So the fiance and I go and talk to our landlord about pets, and it turns out they changed the pet policy; instead of a $200 refundable pet DEPOSIT, they now require a $300 NON-refundable pet FEE. In addition to monthly "pet rent" of about $20 (for the size of a grey, anyway.) Guess how much a rabbit would incur? Not a single penny. Apparently, management considers them "caged animals" (of course they are! ;) ) and we don't have to pay squat for them. The lady mentioned she had a rabbit, and to watch out for it pulling carpet, but STILL maintained that they had no fee.

So my man, Mr. "I Don't Want Any Rodents" (I know rabbits aren't, that's just what I've had to deal with over here!) sits me down and asks, "Apparently, dogs are going to be really expensive here. So, would you be okay waiting on a dog until we get a house?" I sigh and agree. Gee, I really wanted a pet. Seeing my face, he kind of hesitantly asks, "So...can we get rabbits?" WHAT? "Well, I read those links you left me (ahem this thread, rabbit.org and the OP's rabbit guide) and...I think they're really cute and do-able with our situation, and I really want one now. They're like cats but better."

:dance:

So, anyone know of any rabbit rescues in the NC Triangle area? We definitely want two, and we definitely would like two that are already bonded. As much as I enjoy the rabbit love story in this thread, it seems like a lot of work! We're actually in Carrboro, but we could handle Raleigh, Durham, etc. in our search for homeless bunnies! :3:

rabbits that are cared for well will live between 8-10 years. So if you're planning on getting a house in that timespan maybe waiting would be worth it so you don't have to decide between a dog and a rabbit when the time comes. Also, you might want to look into tenant laws because in Canada that deposit and even what the landlord is saying is illegal.

I'm not trying to sway you against getting a rabbit because they're amazing and I love mine without a doubt. But they are very. different than other animals and in some ways I wish that I had waited two years so I could have gotten a cat. Like I said, I love them to bits and I wouldn't change my situation now but if you're also set on getting a dog then it might be worth the wait / fostering them in the meantime.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

OKAY. I know that you guys will appreciate these pictures.

playing with the catnip mouse. Paterson was playing with it but something freaked him out and he stopped and ran away:

Bitsy:

Bitsy is a lot more outgoing than Paterson. He likes to hide but is FINALLY letting us pet him. Yay.

luscious fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 15, 2011

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

guys, I'm having a problem.

I don't think that I'm at a point in my life where I can take care of my rabbits the way that they need to be taken care of. I work really weird and long hours, live in a house that we just found out is basically infested with mice, don't have access to really nice hay and just can't take care of them as well as I used to be able to.

when I got them I lived in a small town and had time to do all sorts of awesome things with them including setting up areas all over the house for them to go to and hide in / play in. However, now that I live in a house on the second floor, they can't really leave my room and there isn't a lot for them to do.

right now we're at my parent's house so I can deal with the mice but I can't stop thinking that giving them away to someone who is much more able to care for them may be the best thing.

I need help with this :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Is moving an option? If they have each other that's probably enough in terms of company, why not just gradually train them to be freeroaming? Mine are, I don't have a cage, a play area, nothing. They just live in the house with me. I don't think that rabbits really require all this set up if you can get them ok with being free. It does take training however, most of them don't like it at first because they don't have a "house". You also have to bunny proof an entire house but mine really don't give a poo poo about chewing now that they have the run of the entire place.

they are free roaming and have all of my room to themselves. I have a huge cage set up for them and they are fully litter trained.
we are 5 months into a 1 year lease and while we would love to break it and move that's not an option :(

my main concern is that I don't have the time to give them the attention that they deserve. I give them carrot greens and parsley on a regular basis as well as their pellets and change their litter every other day but still - I don't think that I can continue on with them.

edit:

here's a picture of the devils:

this was actually their first real bonded moment. He's grown into his ears so much since then.

luscious fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 31, 2008

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm in a similar situation with my buns---last year they had free range of an entire house (when I moved, I did discover that unlike Mo, who never chewed on anything, Cowslip cut through a shitlot of wires, including THREE phone cords I thought he couldn't reach), and now they are in a three-story cage. Mo and Cowslip don't get much out-of-the-cage time, since I work two jobs, and when I come home at night, I try and take Mo out for bed play; he enjoys hopping around, getting brushed, and then stretching out on the bed like he owns it.

Cowslip, any time I try to remove him from the cage, he panics, and once did that rabbit scream of alarm, so I leave him alone. He does like being petted, but taken from the cage at all, and he tends to piss himself stupid. I can't see what bothers him so much!

I'm just super petrified of finding them another home; craigslist in Phoenix is full of rabbits in need of a home, most with a low to no rehoming fee, and there's a ton of large snake owners around. :(

What makes me feel very selfish is that before I moved, my mom knew an elderly couple who had lost their last rabbit, and they would have been happy to take my pair. I refused, because damnit, they're my buns, and I love them, and Mo had finally come out of his shell and was actively playing with me...

mine too have become more destructive since we moved. As well, when before Bitsy would be really outgoing and would eave her cage a lot now she hardly does. It's to the point that I have to put their food and water and all their toys directly in the cage because she only likes putting her two front paws out of the cage.

Paterson has come out of his shell so much since I got him... he lets us pet him and is so loving.

the same thing is happening with me with craigslist. I want to KNOW that who I give them to is going to be the biggest bun lover in the world.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember when I was about to move from the zoo, my boss offered to take the rabbits from me for a Peter Rabbit display in the small mammal building. I turned him down....come to find out later that he picked up 2 female buns for the exhibit, and they were fed to some snakes in the reptile building when the room was needed.

that's one of the reasons why I don't want to give mine away :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

And to think, all this time I thought a rabbit grinding his teeth softly meant he was happy. :( Feel free to crucify me, PI....the vet said that's the sound a rabbit makes when he's in pain. So this has been going on for a while, and I thought Mo LIKED me petting and rubbing his ears and head. :( He never pulled away!

is there a difference between the tooth clicking and teeth grinding? Bitsy clicks her teeth when I pet her but she also nudges my hand so I think she likes it. Now I'm concerned!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

what I've decided to do is fence in part of my room (a relatively small part of my room that isn't used) and having the cage open into that area except for at night. That way they would be able to be free-ish and still have their cage. Their whole area would be carpeted with hideyholes and all that. I think its a good compromise to make with them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

oh my god I love my stupid rabbits

they're at my parent's house right now because we have mice and are trying to get rid of them and the mice freak them the gently caress out. I can't wait to go see them today.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

Do you happen to know what breed the foreground-bunny is? I have a little guy who's the same color and has the same big cheeks. His ears are shaped the same too.

I have no idea but she's super cute and even the vets have been like "is she a wild rabbit?!" She has the sweetest orange spot behind her head and I love it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

And then I paused petting for a moment to admire and she launched herself at the nearest moving thing; unfortunately for me, that was my hand. :sigh: If you ever wondered if rabbit bites make it through regular leather gloves (I was wearing them precisely for bite protection), they do. Need to up the ante to thicker gloves. Or my bunnies just have to get along.

my rabbit and my roommate's rabbit got into a fight one day. For some reason in a panic I stuck my hands between them (so stupid I know) and hers latched onto my palm. I was literally shaking my hand with this stupid rabbit attached to it for a minute until my roommate hit him off of me with a pillow. The bite was very deep. I probably should have gotten stitches.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

I highly recommend learning how to splice back together chomped wires. In most cases(unless it's been thoroughally savaged all along it's length) it's fairly simple. Cut out the bad areas, cut back the insulation, reattach each cord with electrical tape, then rewrap. I've spent about 2 hours splicing things back together, but I've saved hundreds.

yeah seriously, learning how to splice wires has saved me so many times.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

hey guys. I'm really sorry to post this here but I don't want to post on craigslist because I don't want my rabbits to go to anyone who isn't a house bunny fanatic, y know?

I live in Toronto and can't take care of my rabbits anymore. They're the cutest things ever and have been living at my parent's house for the last few months. I miss them dearly but my house isn't suitable for them right now.

they're litter trained and bonded so have to go together. They're free range but have a cage.

this is them:

Paterson

Bitsy

luscious fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

hey guys,
I'm getting my rabbits back today after not having them for 5 months. I'm so loving excited. I'm in the process of rabbit proofing my room and soon I'm going to go out and buy a nice large carpet for them and some other stuff that they might like too from IKEA. I have all kinds of things for them to play in and with.

in other news, Oxbow is on order from the vet so they won't have hay for a little while (two or three days.. boo) and they're going to the vet really soon. Yay!

so I'm off to spend a lot of money on them even though the first thing that they will likely do is destroy things that cost a lot of money. But how can you deny those little faces?!@

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

quote:

I do choose, and would still choose to use wire. There's really no reason not to.

Okay we get it you like wire cages.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

yesterday I brushed my bunnies for the first time in a long time with the Furminator. Holy gently caress. Bitsy was just like. Whatever. She doesn't really need to be groomed that much anyway. But Paterson went nuts. I had someone helping me and I guess he's like the bunny whisperer or something because he got Paterson to just keep his cool after a little while.
but yes, Paterson. He must have a trillion layers of hair because we groomed a whole rabbit out of him! There was SO MUCH HAIR. He looks skinnier now. It's amazing.
not amazing was the huge piece of dried poop we found attached to his leg / bum. It was really depressing. Since he never lets us hold him or even really touch him that much I don't even know how long it's been there for. We cut it off of his hair and stuff but I still feel really bad. Guys, it was huge. I'm so glad that we found it though. It probably really bugged him.

I'm probably going to take them to the vet on Friday so I'll tell him about that and he can check to make sure everything is going well / no infections or anything from where the pooball was.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

tomorrow I'm taking my ribbits to the vet. It's probably going to be a 30 minute trek on public transit. A lot of it will be heated and whatever but if we have to wait outside or whatever is there anything that I can do to keep their carrying case warm? With the two of them, their travelling towels and some hay in there I think they will be able to keep it warm. Maybe I'll put the case near our heater so it can pick up some of the heat itself during the night. I was thinking of putting a blanket around it or something, too.
if it's too cold I'll just take a cab but the public transit option is one I really like, none the less.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my bunnies are 100% healthy. It's really great and the vet thinks that I'm doing everything perfectly for them. She showed me an estimate bill of things like bloodwork that she thinks I should get done for them and holy hell. It's going to be 1200$ if I do everything that they ask. Obviously I can't even though I want to so we're doing parasite and bloodwork only for now. There's some super huge long name test that they want to do as well but alas. No money for a 260$ test for both of them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Windy posted:

I've had no problem clogging that with picking up hay. I keep a bent coat hanger on hand to abort the clogs. But, I'd rather have wear and tear on a shopvac than the Dyson! It's one of the best investments I've made as far as rabbit accessories go.

how much was it?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I think that this summer I'm going to take my rabbits to my parents house and build them a little enclosure to play in the yard.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

munchies posted:

You have to work with them when they are young, ie.. hold them everyday. 2 of my rabbits have no problem at all being held. Then I have one who used to HATE being held but she tolerates it now for short periods of time.

I'm going to start doing this with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

Do bunnies get depressed? I think Frith is depressed. :( He hasn't come out of his pen in a week. I leave the pen door open, I hide in my room so he can venture out without being watched, and all he does is stay in the back of the pen. He'll only come to the front to eat and pee, and then go straight to the back.

On another note: where do you guys get your bunny halters? I've only seen ones for dogs and the smallest one I could find still isn't small enough for Zen, she just wriggles out of them.

hey this happened to my rabbits. They would hardly come out or really even move. SO! I renovated their cage and took it from blah to OH YEAH! (my rabbits make me retarded sometimes who cares).

their cage at first was 3x2 (in NIC pieces)and was 2 high. In an "L" shape around the outside of the cage was a top shelf that I stupidly never got around to flooring properly. I didn't bother because they hardly showed any interest in them. When I saw this post I decided to turn their cage into that. The only mod I made was taking one of the upstairs squares out.... the one that would be beside the ramp but not the one at the top of the ramp.

my rabbits now go all over the cage upper level and lower both by jumping and climbing. It's really great because they ARE overweight and I'm always happy when they get physical activity.