Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

If you live with a house bunny you know you are a slave to their cuteness. I thought we bunny-lovers needed a place to show off our buns and tell of their funny antics!

(I searched for a thread like this, but I couldn't one, please let me know if one already exists)

My two buns:

Lucy

and Jack, the boy I'm trying to bond her with.

If you have any ideas on what breeds they might be, please let me know. I've been told that Jack is a French Lop, but he only weighs 8lbs.

Edit: Just took this picture, and had to post (sorry for the crappy camera-phone quality).

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Jesus Christ those are cute bunnies. The second one looks just like a bunny I had as a class pet 6 or 7 years ago. He loved getting his ears rubbed, and he ate so much goddamn celery. He was really fat and soft which made him even cuter. I was definitely a slave to his cuteness. He was probably the softest animal I ever touched. I wish I could get one but somehow I think my cats would rip it apart.

Just looking at that thing makes me want to rub its ears.

Actually bunnies and cats get along great I've been told. *shrugs*

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

MDR posted:

I've never really seen a Rabbit up close, what are their attitudes/personality like? Seems like it would be awesome to have a rabbit companion.

Rabbits make excellent pets, they kind of are like a cat in the sense they're quiet and usually pretty lazy (except when playing). Mine just hop on the couch and hang out, watch TV, etc. They're both litter box trained so no messes!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Lady Bug: Thanks for the input on the breeds. I'm don't think Lucy is a french lop because she has a long snout (hard to tell in the picture) and french lops usually have a flatter face, I've been told. And Jack definitely isn't pure mini lop although he does look like one. I guess they're both just mutts :)

Side note: Sorry I've abandoned this thread, our internet was down and Comcast is horrible customer service-wise. But I'm back now!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Hey Tricknee,
I keep my bunnies in a pen made out of NIC cubes. Just use zip ties to attach two on top of each other then connect all the pairs. If you go to https://www.bunnyrescue.net and click "Bunny Basics" it shows a pen. Although that pen is from a petstore made for dogs. Then just buy a carpet scrap and your on your way!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Lady Bug posted:

My Peter (not very creative I know but I loved the Beatrix Potter stories :3: ).

his claim to fame: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/02/post.html

He likes to sleep in funny positions, it's really adorable. :3:

He doesn't like to be picked up but loves a good petting on the forehead. He hates getting his nails clipped and hates me for a while if I try. I can't trance him and the Bunny Burrito doesn't work. The other day I managed to clip a few of his nails and gave him a strawberry as a peace offering. I think he's okay with me now. :)

The best thing about Peter is that he figured out the whole litter box deal from the very beginning. He's always pooped and peed in the box, I didn't have to train him or leave him hay in the box or anything. It was really awesome.

Edit: OP I think Lucy might be a French Lop but Jack looks more like a Mini Lop (German Lop).

This looks like the softest bunny ever! I just want to cuddle him!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

quote:

How long did it take to litter train a bunny? I've been trying for a few weeks now but it's sometimes hard to tell when he's peeing. He'll sometimes back into a corner and just sit there and when I peek under his butt, no pee. And the one time I think he's just sitting in a corner, he moves away and look, puddle. :sigh:

Also bunny needs a bigger cage, but that will have to wait a month until I move into my new apartment. How long does it take for them to get used to a new home? I imagine new apartment + new cage will be a big deal.

Because he's going through puberty now, there's really no reason to even try litter box training. He's going to poop and pee everywhere because his hormones are bouncing all over the place. Getting him neutered is step #1. It'll still take 4-6 more weeks for all his hormones to get out of his system. Then, litter training should be rather easy. I don't know how big his cage is, but the more litter boxes you can fit in there (without him being too crowded), the better. Also, if you clean the litter boxes at least 2 times a day, he'll be trained faster. Bunnies love love love clean litter boxes (assuming that's where you put his hay). I fostered 2 ~4 month old brothers and I thought they'd never be litter trained. Then about a month after they were neutered, they finally got the hint. Then 2-4 more weeks after that they were about 95% litter trained.

Keep your head up! Bunnies are such joys to have, and even more pleasant when they're litter trained haha.

Also, when you move him to a new cage, I would strongly recommend making a circle pen out of a box of the wire cubes you can buy from target (see post above). I just zip tie them on top of each other and make a round pen, stick it on a scrap of carpet and you're good to go! It makes clean up so easy, just dump the litter box daily. I'll vacuum it out once a month or so.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

a gaylord faget posted:

For all of you with dogs and bunnies, how did you get them to be friends? I'm moving into a new house, but if/when I get bunny she'll be the first critter in the house. Also the impending dog is a gigantic 150+ thing. Her cage will be in my room and I doubt a gate would work to stop that dog so I'd probably just leave the door closed if they fought. Will this work or will I have to be constantly vigilant about the dog terrorizing bun?

Yeah, getting a bun might not be the best idea if you have a dog. If the dog isn't a breed that hunts, herds, or just a bunny eater in general then you might be okay if he/she is trained extremely well. But if they are a hunting/herding breed, no matter how trained they are, instincts can never be erased and it's really life threatening to the bunny.

Although this doesn't seem to apply to your situation, even if the dog is small, but barks constantly this can traumatize the bunny for life.

Dogs + Bunnies = Not Great.
Cats + Bunnies = Great Mix.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

pauliesyllabic posted:

Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting a bunny (or two). The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that my apartment has an awful lot of cords laying around. More specifically, my entertainment center and computer desk have all of the cords stuffed behind them. Are rabbits really that bad at chewing on cords? Aside from encasing cables in sleeves, is there any sort of spray or other method that would reliably keep them away from that area?

Alternatively, would it be too mean to keep them in a cage most of the day and just let them out for awhile when I'm home? I've got a spot picked out that could fit a decent sized two story cage, so I don't think they'd be too cramped, but I don't want the place to feel like a prison.

I agree with Melicious whole-heartedly. Bunnies are awful about chewing cords. If you really don't want to cover them, I recommend just blocking them off. You can build a barrier with the same wire cubes from Target Melicious mentioned as well. Bunny's don't really respond to any of the bitter/pepper spray.

About keeping them in a cage most of the day, it'd be okay on 3 conditions:
1. 2 bonded bunnies are kept together (make sure if it's a male/female they are spayed and neutered!)
2. The cage is 5 times as big as each bunny.
3. They really do need a minimum of 3 hours of "playtime" a day.

I keep my buns in a 5' 6" round pen I made from the wire cubes from target.
Wire cubes + zip ties = $18
Just buy a scrap piece of carpet and put them on that.
Don't do litter or anything else a pet store would sell you.
Then you just dump their litter box daily, much easier.

I cannot stress how bad wire flooring is for bunnies, they do not have pads on their feet and the wire floors make their hocks sore and could permanently injure them.

Another thing, I know baby bunnies are cute, but when they go through their puberty stage they will pee and poop on everything. Spaying/neutering helps, but doesn't solve everything. Also, bunnies' personalities can do a 180 during puberty. You could start out with a sweet little baby bunny and months later have a biter on your hands. Rescue adult bunnies! They need love!

I finally just went and took pictures of my pen because it's so hard to explain what it looks like (sorry, I haven't vacuumed it in a couple weeks).

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

candeh posted:

Trotting out my cube cage pictures for yet another bunny thread :)

Nicely done.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

I'm a bit perplexed by people's pictures and descriptions of litter boxes. Hay goes in the litter box? I thought hay was for eating? I have a little wire ball that hangs from the top of the cage that I stuff with hay so it doesn't get mushed up with the fruit in the bowl. I have some sort of bedding currently all over the floor of the cage, but I'm getting the impression the floor of the cage can just be the plastic bottom?

Yeah, rabbits like to go to the bathroom while eating hay. I've tried having the hay elsewhere, but then I just end up with a pile of poop and pee on the hay. I know that's how she was litter trained so she's just used to it being that way.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

TheDeadKnow posted:

Is having two buns better than just one, overall? I know they are social critters...drat it, Momiji, neutering you will be expensive!....but if it means he can have a buddy after, it's worth it.

Absolutely. Two bunnies are so much happier than one. I'm in the middle of bonding mine. Although a fight broke out, so I'll have to put that on hiatus for 2 weeks because bunnies hold grudges.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

How do you do this? The last (and first) time I cut my bunny's nails it was an ordeal with me holding her as still as possible and my friend carefully cutting and holding the paw steady. After every paw we let her up and after every two paws she got a treat. x.x

I've been working on writing out these steps with pictures for my new website:

1. Have the bun facing away from you
2. Place one hand under chest and one under butt
3. Pick up and lean bunny back inbetween your boobs
4. Slowly move bunny into a position as if you were holding a baby
5. Slowly put bunny on your legs in this (picture) position
6. Pet bunny on the bridge of his/her nose to keep him tranced the whole time
7. Let someone else trim his/her nails

Edit: picture

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 19, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Oh, I will say one more thing about the trance. If his back feet start shaking lift his head up to put him in more of a curved position. Bunnies naturally walk, sit, etc. with a curved posture and I guess the laying flat kind of freaks them out.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I need your help! I'm starting a generic house bunny website and I have a page listed with all the breeds. I need pictures of these! So many pictures are copyrighted and I don't want to deal with that. So if you wouldn't mind sharing a picture of your little bun, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Just email me:
Bunny Breed:
Picture:
Your Name (if you want credit):
TheRabbitResource@gmail.com

Thank you!!

P.S. If you know what my bunny Lucy is, please tell me! (Look at the OP) She weighs 8lbs.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 20, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

I tried this last night and I couldn't get her to stay and after a few tries she was getting cranky at me so I stopped. Shall try again tonight keeping this in mind, but I feel like she really hates it. :(

Don't give up! The first times can be scary for buns. Another tip is if you can get them in the last position even for a second, cover their eyes gently. This usually calms them down. Be sure not to cover their nose though, they only breathe from their nose and they can pass out this way.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Levitate posted:

I don't really have any new pictures of my rabbit, Sprout. He's shedding like crazy right now though and I hope that ends soon. I need to find a brush or something...but he's iffy on being brushed.
I just found that plucking the loose fur out is alot easier than using a brush. My bunnies don't mind being brushed, but I get more fur with the plucking.

Levitate posted:

Anyways, I really want to try trancing my bunny, but to be honest I'm kind of scared to try. He can get pretty feisty when picked up and if freaked out, will nip if necessary. Is there anything that seems to indicate whether or not it works on certain rabbits? Does it work more often on mild mannered rabbits?
The rescue I help out, the owner uses it on all the bunnies, even the biters, the extremely timid ones, etc. It takes practice, and sometimes to you have to work quickly. But it should work on all bunnies.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Moraine Sedai posted:

Two things to help prevent this: 1) Always check the yard before putting bun down for play and 2) if your yard is too large to really keep a good eye while she's out, block some of it off and let her just explore a safe area. You could whip something up pretty inexpensively that is also collapsible so you can put it off to the side when not in use if you like. :) Plus if you do this, it's easier to catch her again. ;)

Another thing you can try when you need to catch her is to have her favorite treat ready and bribe her to come to you. :P

You can build a circle pen out of the wire cubes and put that out in the yard. I have about a 15 ft circle I let mine run around in. Or you can use stakes and chicken wire. The wire cube pen you can fold up easily though.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Hanpan posted:

I don't suppose any can tell me what is wrong with her ear from those pictures... one of Pickles ears will stand upright almost constantly and looks as though it is broken because it doesn't rest naturally like the other.

She is beautiful!! I wouldn't worry too much about the ear. Some bunnies are just "unicorn" bunnies. I think it's adorable. If she's really young the ear might fix itself, that's how a friend of mines was. I guess the cartilage strengthened itself as she grew. She shouldn't be in any pain though. Go see a vet if you're very worried about that.

As for the litter training, she looks young. Young bunnies have a harder time being litter trained. Is she spayed? If not, as soon as she's old enough (4 months or so) make sure you do it. If female bunnies aren't able to reproduce constantly they most likely will develop cervical cancer. Also, this will help with the litter training 10 fold. Good luck! Bunnies are such great pets.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

My website is nearly complete. Go check it out!

https://www.therabbitresource.com

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

very very nice, simple, to the point, bravo! mine is just simple blogframework
I HAVE BEEN UPSTAGED~!
Seriously though, I read some things that I really needed to know, such as water bowl vs bottle, never read that anywhere else before. Out of curiosity, whats the specific reason to not use the drop treats? I used them when I had rats and naturally thought "why not?" for the bun.

Honestly, I don't know why you're not suppose to feed the yogurt treats. I've just been told not to. It can't be good for them because it's all artificial flavors and refined sugars. Definitely not something they would find in a natural habitat. I'm going to look further into that and try to find the real reason. I'm glad you like it!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Rabbits are obligate herbivores (unlike rats) and are naturally lactose intolerant: ingestion of lactose by someone who can't digest it can have bad effects on the natural flora of the gut:

girlscoutdropout, a couple of notes on your site:

*You have a photo of the cavy pellets under KayTee Timothy Complete. Try to replace this with a photo of the rabbit pellets. Rabbits should not eat cavy pellets and vice versa, and you may not be intending to imply that they should.

*Purina rabbit chow is actually not a good recommendation for young adult rabbits. It contains alfalfa as a source of roughage rather than timothy. It's only recommended by HRS as a feed for adult rabbits who need the increased calories. Ingredient information here.

*"Many times, if a female rabbit isn't spayed, and isn't able to have babies she will get cervical cancer." - this seems to imply that breeding a female will prevent cervical cancer. It won't. Breeding or not, an unspayed female is likely to get cancer, and breeding certainly isn't the solution. You may want to rephrase this if this is not your intended message.

*"Rabbit's teeth continuously grow, they always need stuff to chew on!" - You may want to clarify this. Many rabbits won't use commercially available chew toys, and in fact these toys don't address the real problem, which are spurs and malocclusion on the rear molars. The best way to keep a rabbit's teeth worn down is to feed long strand hay as the primary component of the diet. The primary use of chew toys is to alleviate boredom, which you addressed elsewhere.

All in all, very nice work.

Thank you, I'll fix those things.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

SpaceMonkey posted:

Do rabbits really need water bowls vs water bottles?
because I know that if I put a bowl in there my rabbit with flip it over no matter what.

and the website needs work design/code wise, it was like a blast from the past but fun!

It's not a life or death matter if they have a water bowl, my bunnies do like to dip their paws in it and clean their face. My bunny tipped every water bowl I had and I eventually bought a large ceramic dog crock. It's about 7-8" round so it's too big for her to turn over. There are some large rabbits that will tip over everything, and for those, you will have you use a water bottle. Maybe if your bunny has access to a place with tile or linoleum you could put the water bowl there so they have access during playtime. Then, if they spill, it will be easy to clean. Just a suggestion.

Of course with alot of things, if you ask 100 different pet owners one thing, you'll get 100 different answers. These are just things I have learned, mostly from the lady I adopted my buns from who has been doing rescue for years and years.

What's it not doing? Everything's working on my browser.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 24, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

SpaceMonkey posted:

no the website works fine it can just be done with allot less code/work.

And I'll have to keep an eye out for large bowls

Ahh yeah, it's pretty heavy right now. I'm still pretty new to all of it, I'll work on it. Thanks.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Windy posted:

Murphy never learned to use a water bottle, and will not drink from one at all. I have a bowl that clamps onto the side of the cage so he can't tip it over or dip his ears in it on accident. It also stays clean since it is off the floor of the cage.

As for the website, The picture of the gray rabbit blocks part of the text on some pages for me. Also, alfalfa hay is ok for young rabbits to eat. My vets have actually scolded me for not providing more alfalfa to Debbie when she was a "kid".

Hmm I'll have to fix try to fix that. Thanks for all the feedback! It's a work in progress.

About the alfalfa hay, really? Wow, all I've heard is negative things up and down about it.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html details the change in diet that is needed as a rabbit grows up and ages. It gives very specific time points for the switchover from alfalfa to timothy. This page explains the differences between various types of hays.

The hard thing about providing this sort of educational information is that either you come up with a bullet point that 99% of people can understand, or you have to give a long-winded lecture on every subtopic. If you mention that alfalfa is OK in certain circumstances, many people fail to read anything but the first three words, and then wonder why their rabbit dies of bladder stones from too much calcium-rich alfalfa.

You have to choose what audience you want to share this information with, and tailor your information to them. Think of it this way: Why should someone go to your site instead of direct to rabbit.org? Well, maybe because you provide simple bullet points instead of 300 pages of documentation, and that makes your visitors more likely to know the MOST important basics even if they can't tell you all the details. OK, in that case you may want to keep the timothy-only information and not mention alfalfa, instead saying "for information on feeding baby rabbits go here: rabbit.org". Don't confuse people who are easily confused, so to speak.

On the other hand, you may want to focus on user-submitted information and less on information which is already available elsewhere. In that case, you can just list some really basic outlines, and make more links to the exhaustive resources. Then focus on details from users that rabbit.org doesn't really mention - like "my bunny really likes to tear up phone books" or "my bunny was sick and wouldn't eat, and the vet didn't know what to do, so I mixed some fresh dill with her hay and she started eating!"

You could also divide up your information into Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced levels. So in Basic you say: Timothy only, alfalfa is bad. Intermediate says: Alfalfa for young rabbits under 1 year, and for older rabbits (6+) who need additional calories. Advanced you say: A diet of mixed timothy, bluegrass, orchard grass, and alfalfa is advisable, but the phosphorus to calcium ratio and fat/protein ratio levels in the diet should be constrained to the following proportions....

Etc. Once you decide what type of information you are trying to provide and to whom, you can also make a disclaimer page that you can point to whenever someone says "Why didn't you mention X". You may also consider bibliographies for each page, so people know where you got your information and where to go for more in depth information on each topic.

If you want to see some other resources for more advanced topics, especially medical resouces, this and this both have some very good, very advanced articles. And don't overlook the value of the search box on rabbit.org, if you want to know what the "official" stance is on a particular subject. They have many more articles available for searching than are linked from their main menus.

Thank you for all your input. I'll put some thought into it. I did want just straight, to the point, information. I get intimidated by long paragraphs of information on websites and I can't be the only one.

I am going to do the bibliography, just the information on there is stuff I already knew and don't remember where I learned it. But as I get new info, I will add it to a sources page.

I'm just trying to keep it simple, I know I can't cater to the entire bunny-owner population and I'm not trying to.

Thanks!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

tokidoki posted:

Hmm, I clicked on 'diet' in the side nav bar and the entire bar disappeared and now I can't do anything but look at the intro page. Or is the site not functioning, yet?

Umm aggh! Obviously still alot of bugs to work out. It should work though. I guess I posted too soon. Sorry!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Windy posted:

As far as the vet is concerned, it's always a good thing to find a vet and schedule an appointment to at least meet the doc and introduce him/her to your new bunny. Better to familiarize yourself now(to decide if you like the vet) than to wait until an emergency pops up.

I agree, I'm so glad I did that. I wanted to meet up with the new potential vet and get a nail trimming and when they took my bun back to trim I heard her scream. Now, at the time, I didn't know bunnies could scream; but they can and only when they are in severe pain or near death. They trimmer her nails so short that it's been about 15 weeks later and they're still not long enough.

Granted, this doesn't really say anything about the vet because I think his vet techs did it, but needless to say I'll never be back.

Poor Lucy!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I work at a vaccine clinic that sets up in Petcos twice a month. I saw the same bunny there in the little glass cage for 3 months. The week I decided I was going to take him and find him a home myself, he was gone. Hopefully he found a good home.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

So after looking at all your pictures of your rabbits (in their homes), I'm a bit confused. I have this bedding stuff that I put all over the floor of the cage, and I'm going to pick up a couple corner litter boxes this week (that's what the pet store owner called them -- they're little because my bunny's little). What goes in the litter box, the bedding? And more bedding on the floor of the cage? Or nothing? Because if it's nothing the plastic floor is slippery and she's not happy with sliding all over the place. If it's bedding what's to make her think litter box = peeing instead of bedding = peeing?

First off, please don't get the corner litter boxes. I have never heard of a pet preferring these. Really there's no need for bedding in a cage. Just a piece of carpet. If you have the right size cage (at least 5 times bigger than the bunny) then it shouldn't be too hard. In the litter box put some litter (not cat litter, or any clumping/dusty litters) in the litter box. I use Purina's Yesterday's News. On top of that, put hay. Bunnies like to use the restroom while eating hay.

Hope that helps!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

Oh; I was told that since my bunny is a dwarf rabbit she's not going to get much bigger. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a litter box she can actually get into because usually the walls are too high.

I don't have any carpet scraps lying around at the moment; will newspaper be okay for the floor for now?

Like Windy said, a ferret litter box that's square with a lowered side should work well. I've never used Feline Pine, but I don't have any smell problems with Yesterday's News (as long as I change the litter box every other day) so I guess I'll just stick with that. Either is fine though.

Newspaper will be fine, but I can almost guarantee it will be shredded by morning.

Dwarf rabbits can get pretty big! I've also heard of pet stores (not sure if that's where you got him/her) of mis-labeling rabbits as "dwarf" just because they're young and small. I know that's how some of the bunnies came about at the rescue I help with. People expect these little bunnies to stay 4 lbs and then they hit 7-8lbs and they don't want them anymore. Not saying this is the case with you, but just something to think about. Also, some bunnies are mixed breeds and you never know how big they'll get.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Like Windy said, a ferret litter box that's square with a lowered side should work well. I've never used Feline Pine, but I don't have any smell problems with Yesterday's News (as long as I change the litter box every other day) so I guess I'll just stick with that. Either is fine though.

Newspaper will be fine, but I can almost guarantee it will be shredded by morning.

Dwarf rabbits can get pretty big! I've also heard of pet stores (not sure if that's where you got him/her) of mis-labeling rabbits as "dwarf" just because they're young and small. I know that's how some of the bunnies came about at the rescue I help with. People expect these little bunnies to stay 4 lbs and then they hit 7-8lbs and they don't want them anymore. Not saying this is the case with you, but just something to think about. Also, some bunnies are mixed breeds and you never know how big they'll get.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Quote does not mean Edit!! Sorry for the double-post.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

I'm sure I'll adore my bunny regardless of what size she is. :) She already has me wrapped around her little... er... toe.

Is it okay if there's shredded newspaper? Should I just leave the 'bedding' stuff I've been using? I'm afraid that will encourage her to pee/poop everywhere, though.

I think I'll get the corner litter box for now since she is still little and if/when she gets bigger, get a box. Where are you people seeing these ferret boxes with the lowered side? My local pet store didn't seem to have anything like that.

Shredded newspaper is fine (unless you notice her ingesting it). I know you can find those litter boxes online, my pet store carries them though. Although I have two 9lb bunnies so I just use a standard cat litter box.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Tricknee Hacksaw posted:

He gets to be neutered soon. Yippie for everyone!

Yay for people getting their pets neutered!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Just use a standard cat litterbox, or get a rubbermaid container and cut down the sides like so:

That's a great idea! Yeah, bunnies can jump high. Mine is just inches short of making it onto my bed (which stands about 4 feet off the ground) it's pretty impressive.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Okay, I've decided I need bonding help.

Bonding was going swell between Lucy and Jack (see OP) and they were grooming each other and hanging out fine. Then one day they had words under the coffee table and an all out brawl started. Now I feel like I'm back to square one and I'm just frustrated. I've been told to do bonding outside, then there are no previous bunny smells. Help!

Any tips or tricks are welcomed.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Many words.

Thank you so much! Yeah, I know it takes time. I think because I had just came in from an unsuccessful bonding session I was extra frustrated. I've only been working on this since the beginning of June so I know it will take much longer. I think I just had my hopes up because they were being nice for 20-30 minutes at a time and grooming and everything. Jack was bonded before (his poor wifey died because she had a poopy butt and flies laid eggs in it and it got all infected), he was the same way, but thankfully the lady I adopted him from rescued him before he died. He's all better now though (except for the lack of fur on his butt still from being shaved). He's also overweight because he didn't get to run around in his previous home. Anyways, in his previous "relationship" I was told he was the dominant one (even though he's the most relaxed bunny ever). In his relationship now, Lucy is definitely the dominant bunny. She's very sassy. I think this is one reason they are having a hard time. But I know it can be done!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

very sparkly posted:

This thread has me in LOVE with the mini lops. I would love to get one and build it a big hutch sometime in the near future. I spent a few hours looking online the past few days at petfinder and the local rescues but didn't find any of that particular breed available. Bookmarked and will keep checking though.
The word "hutch" scares me. Please don't do an outside hutch. Bunnies who live outside on average only live 2 years as opposed to house rabbit that live 10! Out of sight, out of mind.

Levitate posted:

Out of curiosity, do other people here have completely free range rabbits? Mine hated cages from the beginning, so at this point, he gets run of the place.

I've done this for years and he's been pretty good and hasn't destroyed much. He has his spots he likes and it means he gets to run whenever he wants (usually in the morning when he wants food).
Oh yeah, I know a couple people who's rabbits are "free range" as long as your whole house is rabbit-proof there shouldn't be any problem. I hope my rabbits will be like this one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Okay, I have re-done the layout of my site. Let's hope it's better.

https://www.therabbitresource.com